Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

shirts and skins posted:

Goodness. At this rate he may actually finish that series. I'm not sure I can process that feeling, given other examples in the industry.

I mean has written like 23 novels and a bunch of novellas in his 11 years of being published... so ya... he will probably finish assuming he doesn't have a horrible accident. He probably is gonna get done with the first 5 stormlight books before GRRM finishes ASoIaF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Pash posted:

I mean has written like 23 novels and a bunch of novellas in his 11 years of being published... so ya... he will probably finish assuming he doesn't have a horrible accident. He probably is gonna get done with the first 5 stormlight books before GRRM finishes ASoIaF.

LOL those books aren't gonna get finished.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

omnibobb posted:

LOL those books aren't gonna get finished.

...other than by Sanderson.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ulmont posted:

There's no way GRRM will hand it off to Sanderson. Can you even picture a Sanderson authored rape scene?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ulmont posted:

I know it's sarcasm, but GRRM will never let someone else finish the series. He's pretty obviously just riding on it's previous success at this point, and doesn't have a huge interest in finishing it. Not sure I would do any different, he's made a poo poo ton of money, so his motivation to finish is probably pretty low.

He might actually make less money if he finishes it, as then it's "done and gone" as opposed to still having a bunch of people speculating and such on future events and drumming up interest in the universe for sales of ancillary merchandise.

subx fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 9, 2016

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

ulmont posted:

*HBO

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, same with Pat Rothfuss. Dude is more interested in being a nerd celebrity than actually finishing the series, just like Martin. Not saying that's a bad thing, not like readers and fans are owed anything. Over the last decade or so nerd and geek culture has really taken off to the forefront and why not revel in that some?

Martin's probably at the end of his career if he even finishes, so I doubt he even cares at this point. Rothfuss is probably going to take a massive hit if he ever finishes Kingkiller - he's shown that he's not reliable to get books out the door and while he's guaranteed to sell, I don't think he's going to see nearly as much money and friendliness from the industry once he moves on to his next project.

I was going to point out that Sanderson had like 6 or so completed novels before he got published so it's unfair to say he's got over twenty in the last decade but Oathbringer alone is longer than most any 4 fantasy novels. He's got to be nearing three million words published by now, even ignoring what he put into Wheel of Time. There's plenty of other authors that have longer works total but I'm drawing a blank on any that have so many total words in as short of a time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, same with Pat Rothfuss. Dude is more interested in being a nerd celebrity than actually finishing the series, just like Martin. Not saying that's a bad thing, not like readers and fans are owed anything. Over the last decade or so nerd and geek culture has really taken off to the forefront and why not revel in that some?

Martin's probably at the end of his career if he even finishes, so I doubt he even cares at this point. Rothfuss is probably going to take a massive hit if he ever finishes Kingkiller - he's shown that he's not reliable to get books out the door and while he's guaranteed to sell, I don't think he's going to see nearly as much money and friendliness from the industry once he moves on to his next project.

I was going to point out that Sanderson had like 6 or so completed novels before he got published so it's unfair to say he's got over twenty in the last decade but Oathbringer alone is longer than most any 4 fantasy novels. He's got to be nearing three million words published by now, even ignoring what he put into Wheel of Time. There's plenty of other authors that have longer works total but I'm drawing a blank on any that have so many total words in as short of a time.

10 novels, but Elantris was #6.

Most of them were unpublishable garbage and needed total rewrites to be workable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

subx posted:

I know it's sarcasm, but GRRM will never let someone else finish the series.

Parris McBride might let someone else finish the series after GRRM dies, which could be any day now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mortanis posted:

Rothfuss is already having Kingkiller turned in to a movie and/or TV show, so if it does even marginally ok he'll have idiots throwing money at him. Anyone making the TV show should just toss any pretense of seriousness and make it campy as gently caress like Hercules and Xena were. Or unintentionally(?) goofy and painful-yet-watchable like Seeker of Truth.

ulmont posted:

This would be worth it solely to watch him make someone like Varys turn out to be Hoid. Arya ends up traveling to Roshar and it turns out the Faceless Men are actually lightweavers.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mortanis posted:

I think people just appreciate that he WANTS to finish his books. He is still excited by them, even after his huge success.

I really hope he never loses that enthusiasm. It's my favorite part of Sanderson.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

subx posted:

I think people just appreciate that he WANTS to finish his books. He is still excited by them, even after his huge success.

I really hope he never loses that enthusiasm. It's my favorite part of Sanderson.

Ya, its really great to have an author that really enjoys writing, wants to share the stories hes thought up, and really really wants to improve.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
That's really what I love about Sanderson - his incredible work ethic. He's got a craftsman's passion for writing and it shows in his consistency to write pretty much every day, as well as all the other things he does to promote his craft (the Writing Excuses podcast, the BYU lectures). Sanderson is also just really good about listening to criticism.

Put all those things together, and it's not surprising that Sanderson gotten as good as he has in such a short space of time. Some authors are positively diva-like in their writing habits ("I have to be in MY PRIVATE LIBRARY writing on my ancient DOS machine that's not connected to the internet because PEOPLE WILL TRY TO HACK IN AND STEAL MY UNPUBLISHED MANUSCRIPTS and only on certain days when I feel like it and it's not football season and..."), churning out a couple of hundred words every few days or so. Even when Sanderson goes on tour or on holiday, HE WRITES, simply for the joy of it. If the man's got a 12 hour flight scheduled, you could basically toss a coin to see if he ends up writing a novella.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I recently read a pretty decent little fantasy trilogy (The Paper Magician) and was both surprised and completely unsurprised to find in the ending blurb that the author is or was one of Sanderson's students in his writing classes. His enthusiasm (and style) seems contagious. There were a couple of niggles I had with the series but it's a fun enough read. I almost feel like I would have enjoyed the series more if it had spent more time just exploring the charming little things you can do with paper magic instead of spending half the trilogy suicidally throwing herself into lethal situations with serial killer flesh mages.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Last week Sanderson's laptop broke while he was on tour so he just bought a new laptop from a local store and redownloaded the nightly backup of his draft

If you want to write just write it doesn't have to be complicate

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It's just that easy.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Tunicate posted:

10 novels, but Elantris was #6.

Most of them were unpublishable garbage and needed total rewrites to be workable.

12 in fact. I only know this because he went into a really long but interesting digression at DragonCon when someone asked him why the Stormlight Archive was so huge and epic. In short he had written 12 unsold books at that point and was constantly getting rejection letters from publishers telling him to write more like GRRM because that's what sells, so he finally decided to just write the series he really wanted to write and that's how we got Stormlight Archive. http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1171

quote:

And you guys do not want to read Sanderson trying to be like George RR Martin. It was embarrassing, and so I wrote these books, each something different. And I like trying to do something different, I'm not sad I tried to do something different, but at the end I was like "I can't do this, these books are crap". Worst books I wrote were the two that were books 11 and 12, like I shouldn't be getting worse as a writer, I shouldn't be getting worse the more books I write, and finally I was like "screw it, I'm gonna write the biggest, baddest, most awesome book that I can!". They want it more short, this is gonna be twice as long! They say the world is too weird, I'm gonna do the weirdest world I've always wanted to do, I'm gonna write the type of fantasy book that nobody's writing that I wish they would write. And I'm gonna break all these rules that say "don't do flashbacks". Screw you, I'm gonna put flashbacks and they're long! They say "don't do prologues", screw you, I'm doing three prologues! It really does, because Way of Kigns starts with the Heralds prologues, then it goes to Szeth prologue, then it goes to the viewpoint of the guy in Kaladin's squad, also a prologue. Then it jumps like eight months and then we start the story. I did all the stuff they told me not to do because I just wanted to make the biggest, most coolest and baddest epic I could - bad in a good term. And I finished this book, which was basically flipping the bird to the entire publishing industry, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's so cool. I'll be honest, GRRM's work are too dark for me to enjoy. Or at least the tone, because the world in the first Mistborn trilogy is pretty grim.

I just realized after rereading Secret History that Marsh's words to Marasi about Wax ("That one does not like unanswered questions, but he does my brother's work, and that is something I feel inclined to encourage"), might be meant literally! :aaa:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

12 in fact. I only know this because he went into a really long but interesting digression at DragonCon when someone asked him why the Stormlight Archive was so huge and epic. In short he had written 12 unsold books at that point and was constantly getting rejection letters from publishers telling him to write more like GRRM because that's what sells, so he finally decided to just write the series he really wanted to write and that's how we got Stormlight Archive. http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1171

A couple of those were abandoned midway through, like mythwalker

http://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-prime-mythwalker-prologue/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Torrannor posted:

I just realized after rereading Secret History that Marsh's words to Marasi about Wax ("That one does not like unanswered questions, but he does my brother's work, and that is something I feel inclined to encourage"), might be meant literally! :aaa:

I feel like I need to reread the Wax/Wayne books again now I read Secret History. I finished it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, I didn't know what to expect and thought it would be some boring similarion-like just info dump so I put it off for many months, but it actually ended up being about Kelsier still owning bones even in death.

Definitely read it if anyone hasn't.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I almost feel like re-reading Aether of Night, I'm looking forward to a day when that gets a proper rewrite. Its pretty good in the discarded draft phase its in now. Sadly you can definitely tell arc elements he reused for other books. It also has one of the cosmere magic systems that would fit well in video game mechanics.

(Technically anyone can read if it they just email and ask for a copy, but agree not to share it or talk about specifics online)

E;
Also i'm thinking that from edgedancer Arclo, the bug immortal guy, is from Yolan and can lightweave in their style

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 11, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arclo is one of the Dysian Aimians that got brought up in WoR - the Wit mentions that they can be disassembled and reassembled

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

A couple of those were abandoned midway through, like mythwalker

http://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-prime-mythwalker-prologue/

The magic in that world makes me think Sanderson really liked Highlander and The One. With how much of it got used in other books anything on that world would probably have to be written entirely from scratch though.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I've really struggled with the new Mistborn books, YA trilogy, short stories etc. and today I realized that I actually dislike-hate everything by Sanderson except Strormlight Archives. (Neutral on Warbreaker for some random reason)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mallamp posted:

I've really struggled with the new Mistborn books, YA trilogy, short stories etc. and today I realized that I actually dislike-hate everything by Sanderson except Strormlight Archives. (Neutral on Warbreaker for some random reason)

How about emperors soul?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

How about emperors soul?

drat, you got me. Somehow forgot about that one. It's actually great. His other short fiction, including the new Stormlight tie-in are my least favorites though

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What about Perfect State?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

First Born...

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

I remember liking it when it came out. I skimmed it recently and it grated me. Mormon dadjoke (orcertain "look guys I'm writing sci-fi" attitude) to original ideas ratio is pretty bad in that one despite decent setting

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Is there any way to get Edgedancer without buying the whole Arcanum Unbounded book? I've already read all the other stories in it so $13 for a short story seems a little steep.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Daric posted:

Is there any way to get Edgedancer without buying the whole Arcanum Unbounded book? I've already read all the other stories in it so $13 for a short story seems a little steep.

Library? There's a bit more content for the stories as well but still not $13 worth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's exclusive to AU for 5 years

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of short stories, I really liked Shadows for Silence but I haven't seen anyone really talk about it. I hope that world gets explored more in the future.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Demicol posted:

Speaking of short stories, I really liked Shadows for Silence but I haven't seen anyone really talk about it. I hope that world gets explored more in the future.

There's no discussion because it doesn't haven't much importance in the grand-scheme story line. I would assume any additional stories on the world would be another short story. I don't think he has any full length stories planned for planets without a shard present. I do like it quite a bit as well though, I like it better than Sixth of Dusk.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Demicol posted:

Ya I really liked that one as well, the world really captured my interest mostly.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I think the non-Shard worlds will probably get touched a lot more during Infinity War Dragonsteel; possibly the back 5 of Stormlight, and probably in the final Mistborn era. Basically, anything involving heavy world-hopping and the Cosmere at large as the primary backdrop.

So, a decade+ off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

I think the non-Shard worlds will probably get touched a lot more during Infinity War Dragonsteel; possibly the back 5 of Stormlight, and probably in the final Mistborn era. Basically, anything involving heavy world-hopping and the Cosmere at large as the primary backdrop.

So, a decade+ off.

The Ones Above in Sixth of Dusk are from Scadrial, I'm sure. IIRC it's made clear that that story takes place well in to the future compared to the other stories and the pseudo Prime Directive thing those people follow would also seem like something you'd expect from a civilization influenced by Harmony* that keeps them from just immediately interfering. We also know that Sanderson plans to have some far-future Mistborn arc and FTL travel.

* and people trying to game it, possibly due to certain external influences.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Daric posted:

It's not as if you would only get Edgedancer out of it. There are extensive notes (and maps!) by Khriss about each planetary system. Admittedly, it's only like 20 pages of text and pictures, but there are some interesting tidbits in there. There are also some amusing bits, like the travel warning about Odium.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Ones Above in Sixth of Dusk are from Scadrial, I'm sure.

Or they could just be from one of the other two inhabited planets in the same system, hence The Ones Above.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Or they could just be from one of the other two inhabited planets in the same system, hence The Ones Above.

Could be, but WoB has it set well in the future, and the Scadriel/mistborn final era is an FTL-scifi deal. So they're the "easy" pick. Really could be anyone; we just know they're spacefaring.