Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

You are clearly very passionate about the Ditko Spider-Man comics.

Comic book nerds care about comic books news at 11

Seriously though if you can get past some of the wonky pacing issues and out dated and likely wrong even for the time slang, the early Spider-Man books are fantastic. There's a reason why new Spider-Man media is so obsessed with either retelling or re-imagining those stories, while the early days of Superman and Batman tend to be ignored. The drop off in quality isn't 'after Ditko' either, it starts way later than that, well into Romita's run. The Death of Gwen Stacy and the following fight with the Green Goblin are basically the perfect end for that whole run, with some serious rough patches leading into it. And after that heavy as gently caress funfest, the comics kind of lose their mind for a while as we talked about earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Burkion posted:

Her death in the comics is really unclear, purposely so.

Either Norman snapped her neck before throwing her, as she was never awake during the entire event, or Peter's webline did it.

I like to think Norman snapped her neck just to be a prick.

I understand this interpretation and have seen it a number of times, but I've never thought it played fair with the visual language of comic violence. We're shown, on page, the webline snapping Gwen's neck from the sudden stop. That means it's dirty pool for her neck to have earlier, ALSO been snapped off-page. Now, in reality, it's entirely possible for a neck or spine to snap in two different places at different times, but when you put the SNAP! next to someone's neck in a comic book panel, you're communicating something, and that something is that "this person has just been seriously injured or killed by their neck breaking."

It's also possible Norman choked or poisoned her to death beforehand and the neck snap was additionally irrelevant, but I find those answers unsatisfying. And in fairness, in recent years, "choked or poisoned her" has become some of the least of Spider-man canon's gross concerns when it comes to "what Norman did to Gwen while Spider-man wasn't in the room."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

lol it's New York people are trained not to gawk

e: you ever watch an episode of Seinfeld? You ever notice how Jerry and George will have loud arguments in a cafe, on a subway, in a drycleaner's, and nobody ever stares at em ever? That's totally New York

Since you ask, I actually both grew up and live in NYC and watched every single episode of Seinfeld when it originally aired and have the entire series memorized and used to work near, would regularly eat at, and can say factually that if you got into a huge argument in Tom's Restaurant of course people would notice.* But that said, you don't see a slight difference between Jerry and George having an argument and "oh hey is that guy gonna jump like a dumbass oh poo poo it's the dude that rolls with Iron Man and he's taking off his mask?" People stalking and filming superheroes any chance they get is even a subplot in Luke Cage and tons of superhero things caught on cameras is like the jumping off point for half of all the Netflix/MCU stuff.

Sure that worked in the 80s and 90s and was funny in the TMNT movies when people give no fucks about Raphael walking around or C.H.U.D.s but today everyone here gets a picture of everything, and this shot has him just sitting around in plain site facing a train in broad daylight, it's stupid if no one notices. To get meta with this, look no further than all the pictures that went up online like minutes after the fact when they were filming in Woodhaven and Sunnyside in July/whatever the second people realized it was a Spider-Man movie.

In conclusion, I find your reasoning totally wrong but I accept it anyway and will suspend my disbelief because coincidentally the fake film title Sony/Marvel used for their location shooting is......

*Also for real, random person notices Jerry and George arguing and mocks them/provides information to them is like, 2/3 of the series.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Burkion posted:

Seriously though if you can get past some of the wonky pacing issues and out dated and likely wrong even for the time slang, the early Spider-Man books are fantastic. There's a reason why new Spider-Man media is so obsessed with either retelling or re-imagining those stories, while the early days of Superman and Batman tend to be ignored. The drop off in quality isn't 'after Ditko' either, it starts way later than that, well into Romita's run. The Death of Gwen Stacy and the following fight with the Green Goblin are basically the perfect end for that whole run, with some serious rough patches leading into it. And after that heavy as gently caress funfest, the comics kind of lose their mind for a while as we talked about earlier in the thread.

I read all of Ditko's run and maybe the first ten or so issues of Romita's and they are pretty good, yeah! There's a lot of legitimately tense fights, and they are also very funny, although Ditko's incredibly bitter and hateful worldview and the unending stream of stories about bank robberies gets boring after a while. It'd be interesting to see an adaption hew closer to actual original Peter Parker because he's been refined down over the years into a nice bullied child who does his best because that is what his dead uncle told him was right, but Ditko and Lee's Peter is a judgemental, bitter, mean little jerk who has literally nobody in the world to talk to or get support from apart from his non-entity of an aunt, and who only keeps on being Spider-Man because it gives him a sense of self-worth in a world where everyone hates him and he hates everyone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It made his moments of genuine superheroy so much better too. I love that version of Peter and it bugs me that we will never see it return.

Especially in stuff that claims to bring him back to his roots.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yeah, I think this idea of "getting Spider-Man back to his roots" is kinda weird nostalgia twisting reality. Like I had a friend who talked about how great it is that Spider-Man is a *kid* instead of Andrew Garfield who was clearly an 29 year old playing a high schooler, which, while the latter is true, the only time Spider-Man has ever been genuinely young instead of an 18 year old on the verge of graduating is Ultimate Spider-Man (which apparently people hate when they try to make it into a movie) and currently, but with Miles (which will probably never be a movie because people suck).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, I think this idea of "getting Spider-Man back to his roots" is kinda weird nostalgia twisting reality. Like I had a friend who talked about how great it is that Spider-Man is a *kid* instead of Andrew Garfield who was clearly an 29 year old playing a high schooler, which, while the latter is true, the only time Spider-Man has ever been genuinely young instead of an 18 year old on the verge of graduating is Ultimate Spider-Man (which apparently people hate when they try to make it into a movie) and currently, but with Miles (which will probably never be a movie because people suck).

You don't consider an 18-year old still in high school to be "genuinely" young? I feel ancient.

And having an actual teenager play a 17-year old instead of an actor who is almost 30 is definitely a different look.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Spiderman trailer looks like two movies: one about a lovely teen Spiderman, and the other about a stylish bird-themed vigilante. Without knowing anything more, I'm already rooting for El Buitre to win.

I did enjoy the shot of Spidey defending a bank, backed by a poster of the whitest businessman ever, followed by a smash-cut to SONY. That's a drat good edit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Spiderman trailer looks like two movies: one about a lovely teen Spiderman, and the other about a stylish bird-themed vigilante. Without knowing anything more, I'm already rooting for El Buitre to win.

I did enjoy the shot of Spidey defending a bank, backed by a poster of the whitest businessman ever, followed by a smash-cut to SONY. That's a drat good edit.

You think our boy Jon Watts can pull it off? I know Suicide Squad is in your top 15, but that seemed to be less because you felt very strongly about it and more because you're not really feeling the vibe this year.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

You think our boy Jon Watts can pull it off? I know Suicide Squad is in your top 15, but that seemed to be less because you felt very strongly about it and more because you're not really feeling the vibe this year.

The problem with (accurately) depicting Spiderman as a shithead is that it was already done in Amazing Spiderman. It's not an interesting take. I'd like a movie to actually convince me that Spiderman isn't worthless and stupid.

Suicide Squad, as a contrast, used stupid characters as a jumping-off point to parody blockbuster superhero-movie aesthetics. MCU as inescapable Hell Zone.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

Since you ask, I actually both grew up and live in NYC and watched every single episode of Seinfeld when it originally aired and have the entire series memorized and used to work near, would regularly eat at, and can say factually that if you got into a huge argument in Tom's Restaurant of course people would notice.*

*Also for real, random person notices Jerry and George arguing and mocks them/provides information to them is like, 2/3 of the series.

Ah well there goes that lame observation then.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing I sort of noticed from the Homecoming trailer is that towards the end Peter looks to be wearing something more like the Scarlet Spider outfit during the school bus fight scene and him laying on the beach. I'm sort of curious if that's what his pre-Tony costume looks like.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem with (accurately) depicting Spiderman as a shithead is that it was already done in Amazing Spiderman. It's not an interesting take. I'd like a movie to actually convince me that Spiderman isn't worthless and stupid.

Suicide Squad, as a contrast, used stupid characters as a jumping-off point to parody blockbuster superhero-movie aesthetics. MCU as inescapable Hell Zone.

Man, you watch Meet the Blacks - that's my "good version" of Suicide Squad.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Doesn't it come back later when Gwen is resurrected that she had a kid and it's Osbornes?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Doesn't it come back later when Gwen is resurrected that she had a kid and it's Osbornes?

She was never revived for real because Marvel isn't quite that desperate yet. But yeah there's a really creepy and stupid story where Norman knocked her up and she had his twins.

Much like many things around the Clone Saga up to and including Norman Osborn coming back from the dead- it was a mistake

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suicide Squad extended was pretty great. Seeya.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Burkion posted:

Much like many things, around the Clone Saga up to and including Norman Osborn coming back from the dead- it was a mistake

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah.

Yeah.

Yeah.

Marvel stop trying to bring it back for the love of God stop

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Man, you watch Meet the Blacks - that's my "good version" of Suicide Squad.

I trust you on that one, but the "good" version of Suicide Squad is already The Call Up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SMG, would you mind talking a bit about SS? I felt that it was thoroughly underwhelming when taken at face value. What about it did you like?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

ASM2 should also get poo poo for replicating the death of Gwen Stacy. It was a story done purely for shock value in the comics, and now fifty years later it's not all that shocking. It's just a dead woman.

If you read Marvel: The Untold Story, it talks about how the post Ditko/Lee/Kirby era of Marvel's major comics (FF, Spidey, Avengers, etc...) the heavily implied editorial mandate is nothing can ever really change for these characters and the status quo must be maintained. There were a bunch of B and C level books like Howard the Duck that were doing all types of weird poo poo, but in the Big Comics, the illusion of change was okay, but nothing should actually change.

Apparently, Conway didn't get that memo and started hatching a plan to kill a main character. Something that really hadn't ever been done in Spider-Man. And within comics, the heroes girlfriend was never harmed but may have been a damsel in distress for a while. I think it cheapens the story because at the time, killing off girlfriend's and signifigant others just wasn't done. Hell even actually killing off main characters or villains wasn't really done either. The only notable deaths in ASM at that point were Betty Brant's....brother? And George Stacey. I think saying it was done purely for shock value isn't quite correct because it doesn't talk about the era of comics and the context of what DC and Marvel were like before Gwen died.

Later, editorial REALLY got up his rear end and started mandating a bunch of poo poo. Four issues after Gwen died, Conway was forced by Stan Lee to write in the Spider-Mobile, which was supposed to be a tie in to an eventual toy product line. Much later, the original clone saga was conceived as a way to bring Gwen back. Conway eventually left for DC, but apparently has made up enough with Marvel because he's writing a Spidey book now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Neo Rasa posted:

Since you ask, I actually both grew up and live in NYC and watched every single episode of Seinfeld when it originally aired and have the entire series memorized and used to work near, would regularly eat at, and can say factually that if you got into a huge argument in Tom's Restaurant of course people would notice.* But that said, you don't see a slight difference between Jerry and George having an argument and "oh hey is that guy gonna jump like a dumbass oh poo poo it's the dude that rolls with Iron Man and he's taking off his mask?" People stalking and filming superheroes any chance they get is even a subplot in Luke Cage and tons of superhero things caught on cameras is like the jumping off point for half of all the Netflix/MCU stuff.

Sure that worked in the 80s and 90s and was funny in the TMNT movies when people give no fucks about Raphael walking around or C.H.U.D.s but today everyone here gets a picture of everything, and this shot has him just sitting around in plain site facing a train in broad daylight, it's stupid if no one notices. To get meta with this, look no further than all the pictures that went up online like minutes after the fact when they were filming in Woodhaven and Sunnyside in July/whatever the second people realized it was a Spider-Man movie.

In conclusion, I find your reasoning totally wrong but I accept it anyway and will suspend my disbelief because coincidentally the fake film title Sony/Marvel used for their location shooting is......

Fake production titles for already announced movies is the dumbest thing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

Suicide Squad extended was pretty great. Seeya.

Sorry but no it wasn't, it's still a disjointed and worthless film with an offensive amount of forced licensed music cues and boring action sequences.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

If you feel the need to apologize for your opinions they are worthless.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What's been added/changed in the extended cut?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Pretty certain all the bonus scenes are on YouTube from official channels. Aren't they mostly more flashbacks?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

teagone posted:

Watch the Skull Island trailer, or the new Planet of the Apes trailer for comparison.

Thanks for this. I didn't even know they were making another POTA. I didn't like the last one too much but loved the first. This looks pretty bad rear end and I always enjoy Woody Harrelson. I just hope the "Apes as terrorists/ISIS" theme isn't too overblown and ham fisted because I could easily see that happening.

Then again, Planet of the Apes isn't really known for its subtlety so it could work.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really excited for this new Birdman movie. I really like how they made Birdman the villain this time, way better than Birdman 4 would've been.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phi230 posted:

I'm really excited for this new Birdman movie. I really like how they made Birdman the villain this time, way better than Birdman 4 would've been.

Are they recasting Edward Norton again?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are they recasting Edward Norton again?

Edward Norton is no longer trusted to play Edward Norton, so he'll be played by Ben Whishaw.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NBC's new comedy series Powerless is about people who works at a Wayne Corporation insurance company that specializes in protecting people from superhero/villain-related collateral damage. It was originally a different company altogether but they made that change when filming the new pilot. Now you know how he can afford all those cool toys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

IIRC, mostly more scenes of Harley and Joker. As far as the story is concerned, it hammers home the point that she was pants-on-head crazy before she met the Joker, and probably could have become a Batman villain all on her own. She's a very different Harley from Batman:TAS.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Electromax posted:

This seems unwise if he wants to have a secret identity.

LOL I think I live two blocks south of that. The building is above Hoyt street I think in Astoria, and you can kinda see Astoria Park there.

This has been your unnecessarily New York derail of the day.

EDIT: Just saw Neo Rasa's hella informative post, guy pretending to authoritatively post about NYC (that's me) gets owned again.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That shot reminds me of The Spirit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That shot reminds me of The Spirit.

My god that was a wet fart of a movie. My local comic book shop has had two large hardcover copies of 'The Art of The Spirit' since 2008.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The MSJ posted:

NBC's new comedy series Powerless is about people who works at a Wayne Corporation insurance company that specializes in protecting people from superhero/villain-related collateral damage. It was originally a different company altogether but they made that change when filming the new pilot. Now you know how he can afford all those cool toys.

This makes Bruce Wayne as someone who regularly defrauds the citizens of Gotham.

Create the disease and sell the cure.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Patrick Wilson is going to be the villain Orm in James Wan's Aquaman.

gently caress yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GonSmithe posted:

gently caress yes.

Yeah, nice casting. Now hoping Jackie Earle Haley and Matthew Goode are cast as superheroes/villains in the DCEU.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GonSmithe posted:

gently caress yes.

Patrick Wilson is one of my favourite actors. Between him and Willem Dafoe, Aquaman has a really solid supporting cast already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Patrick Wilson was already in BvS as the US President. I hope he's playing the same character.

• Locked thread