Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Good to know, are there any permanently missable monsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Builders Chapter 3 kind of sucks unless I'm missing something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bigass Moth posted:

Good to know, are there any permanently missable monsters?
No, except for the super-weird corner case where you can't tame more monsters after you get every one in the base game.

(which means you can't tame the ones in the DLC tablets, so make sure not to go for 100% until you get all those if you're literally insane enough to)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man they really should have improved the camera for when you're in caves.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Builders Chapter 3 kind of sucks unless I'm missing something.

I would like to hear how your opinion on this changes once you get the Bashmobile.

Also, remember that trees only grow INSIDE city walls. Don't be dumb like me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hokuto posted:

I would like to hear how your opinion on this changes once you get the Bashmobile.

Also, remember that trees only grow INSIDE city walls. Don't be dumb like me.

I'm super glad I put my city 6 tiles up because a troll just waltzed through turning the ground level into a giant hot spring.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/806860896504905729

The second Heroes is coming to the west.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

How much like other Musou games is DQ Heroes? I liked Hyrule Warriors a lot but I didn't enjoy Dynasty Warriors (one on the vita) at all.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can't get over how the Dragon Quest Heroes games DON'T have cel shading. The character designthe entire art style is practically begging for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RedRupee posted:

How much like other Musou games is DQ Heroes? I liked Hyrule Warriors a lot but I didn't enjoy Dynasty Warriors (one on the vita) at all.

It changes things up a little, mainly with some tower defense elements; on most maps you're defending a certain point and have to balance between defending that point and killing the monsters that are summoning endless waves of attackers.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

fivegears4reverse posted:

I can't get over how the Dragon Quest Heroes games DON'T have cel shading. The character designthe entire art style is practically begging for it.

They have done it before with other games, and yeah it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjY94TXRqwM

Man I wish they'd do some remakes that look like this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

No mention of a PC version? Come on SE. :sigh:

At least I'll have plenty of time to get back to (eventually) finishing the first game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least I'll have plenty of time to get back to (eventually) finishing the first game.

He he... same. I found a PS4 copy of the game with the day one DLC and everything for very cheap, just a few months ago, and I have yet to play it. By the time I finish the first one I'll be able to get the second for :10bux:.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

No mention of a PC version? Come on SE. :sigh:

I have a feeling there'll be a PC version eventually. The siliconera article for the announcement said it's only coming to PS4 but I think that means the PS3 and Vita version aren't coming over, more than it means there will be no eventual Steam release.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I'm in Emberdale just short of 5 hours into Dragon Quest 7. They're clearly meant to have some sort of ceremony with flames on their heads etc but I just can't figure out how to trigger the next thing so the story progresses.

Help!

EDIT: wow, after a lot of missioning around just found the gaffer. If anyone else is stuck here you need to go to the north west portion of the village and talk to the moustachioed man there.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 10, 2016

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

So I'm in Emberdale just short of 5 hours into Dragon Quest 7. They're clearly meant to have some sort of ceremony with flames on their heads etc but I just can't figure out how to trigger the next thing so the story progresses.

Help!

EDIT: wow, after a lot of missioning around just found the gaffer. If anyone else is stuck here you need to go to the north west portion of the village and talk to the moustachioed man there.

Unfortunately way too much of the town stuff in DQ7 is just talking to everyone until the next event occurs.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Having only played dragon quest heroes due to its musou im interested in playing some more of the DQ series however i only have a weak laptop and a PS4 available to me.

What viable jumping on points are there?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do you have a smartphone of any sort? DQ 1 through 6 are available and actually work pretty well in a mobile format. There's a port of 8 as well, but it runs pretty badly.

I definitely recommend getting a 3DS of any sort regardless because it's the best system for jRPGs right now since it has access to all the 3DS library, as well as the original DS. A 2DS is only $60 refurbished off of Nintendo's website, and it's gonna be in great shape. I bought one a couple years ago and I'm certain it was brand new.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Though I didn't actually answer your question. On PS4, only Heroes and Builders are available. Builders is Dragon Quest Minecraft, and it's quite fun. If you tried Minecraft but wanted something more like a traditional game with objectives, DQB is exactly that.

Of the mainline games, the best jumping off point is debatable and everyone will have a different answer. It comes up a lot in this thread I've noticed.

Of the classic originals, I'd say you can't go wrong with 3.

If you're looking for best story, go with 5. It's a tear jerker.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Skip 1 and 2. Everything else is great.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Agree that getting into the DS versions is the way to go. I played IX first then went back to 4, 5, 6 and now I'm on 7. I never finished 5, I think. Realms of Reverie? And I've never played 8 but that's also coming to 3DS so you can't really go wrong there. Plus there's a ton more RPGs on the system if that's your thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

I think 1 is short enough that it's worth playing eventually. Not for a first DQ by any means, but it's worth checking out at some point due to the historical value. Especially since it doesn't overstay its welcome.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bigass Moth posted:

The remake of 2 is semi-playable, and original or maybe Game Boy Color version of 1 is short enough that eventually maybe it's worth bothering with.

...but yes. I agree with this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'd suggest only playing the ones you can use a fast forward key on for older games, the battles can get pretty tedious

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I think the biggest issue with DQ1 is that there isn't a whole lot to do, persay. The vast majority of the gameplay is just visiting towns and grinding outside them. If you follow the strategy guide that was included with the Nintendo Power bundle ("Explorer's Handbook"), it breaks down like this:

Level - Destination
1, 2 - Tantegel/Brecconary
3 - Erdrick's Cave (no monsters)
4 - Garinham
5, 6 - Kol
7-9 - Mountain Cave
10,11 - Rimuldar
12 - Garinham Grave
13 - Swamp Cave
14-16 - Cantlin (honestly, good luck making it there before 16)
17 - Hauksness
18 - ?
19, 20 - Charlock

A few of those non-town destinations you'll only visit once, even. After you do the Swamp Cave, there's not much going on all the way until 19, just grind grind grind on increasingly powerful mobs (a lot of which could kill you in 4 or 5 hits, you're miles from any inn and your healing methods are woefully obsolete until 17). That kind of pacing was pretty dreadful, at least in the original version. The remakes made it go a lot faster, but when stripped down, it's obvious there's not much of a game there. I guess if you didn't have the cheat hint book, you also had to figure out where to find and how to use some items.

A lot of people poo poo on DQ2, but they really improved on the amount of things to do. The difference is absolutely massive. For that reason (and another thing I won't spoiler), I wouldn't recommend skipping 1 and 2. Play them all, in order. :getin:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

I think the biggest issue with DQ1 is that there isn't a whole lot to do, persay. The vast majority of the gameplay is just visiting towns and grinding outside them. If you follow the strategy guide that was included with the Nintendo Power bundle ("Explorer's Handbook"), it breaks down like this:

Level - Destination
1, 2 - Tantegel/Brecconary
3 - Erdrick's Cave (no monsters)
4 - Garinham
5, 6 - Kol
7-9 - Mountain Cave
10,11 - Rimuldar
12 - Garinham Grave
13 - Swamp Cave
14-16 - Cantlin (honestly, good luck making it there before 16)
17 - Hauksness
18 - ?
19, 20 - Charlock

A few of those non-town destinations you'll only visit once, even. After you do the Swamp Cave, there's not much going on all the way until 19, just grind grind grind on increasingly powerful mobs (a lot of which could kill you in 4 or 5 hits, you're miles from any inn and your healing methods are woefully obsolete until 17). That kind of pacing was pretty dreadful, at least in the original version. The remakes made it go a lot faster, but when stripped down, it's obvious there's not much of a game there. I guess if you didn't have the cheat hint book, you also had to figure out where to find and how to use some items.

A lot of people poo poo on DQ2, but they really improved on the amount of things to do. The difference is absolutely massive. For that reason (and another thing I won't spoiler), I wouldn't recommend skipping 1 and 2. Play them all, in order. :getin:

Not having a whole lot to do is pretty much the reason that DQ1 is still playable now. Due to its simplicity it doesn't really overstay it's welcome, at least if you're playing any of the remakes where the leveling has been sped up.

DQ2 on the other hand hasn't really gotten any less tedious in the remakes, and is long enough to really be a slog to play through. That being said, at the time it was an amazing leap forward, and it's a shame that we got it after Final Fantasy came out featuring many of the same advancements.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

My first DQ was DQ1 and I definitely recommend it. It's such a simple game and the iOS version looks nice and has great music.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
2 for the NES's real problem, to me, is poor balance. I have a personal loathing for that game, but I did play the SFC remake of it and it's solid. They fixed some of the exploits like farming infinite Staves of Thunder and getting more than one Water Flying Cloth, but you don't really need to take advantage of those like in the NES game. People besides the main character can use better gear and the prince is decent in a fight, so it has a much better flow to it. I enjoyed that version much, much more than the original.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No matter which version of 2 you play though, Cave to Rhone is such a huge spike in difficulty and a giant roadblock overall. Every time I feel like revisiting 2, I remember that section of the game which is actually near the end and lose any compulsion to replay it.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
I decided to start with the original on my phone, the controls are slightly odd to me but its a fantastic time waster on the train.

Thanks for the advice goons.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JustJeff88 posted:

2 for the NES's real problem, to me, is poor balance. I have a personal loathing for that game, but I did play the SFC remake of it and it's solid. They fixed some of the exploits like farming infinite Staves of Thunder and getting more than one Water Flying Cloth, but you don't really need to take advantage of those like in the NES game. People besides the main character can use better gear and the prince is decent in a fight, so it has a much better flow to it. I enjoyed that version much, much more than the original.

They didn't make many changes in regards to equipment, but those that are there went a long way. Cannock being able to use Erdrick's Sword and Light Sword, and a free Mysterious Hat in the Cave to Rhone. Also for spells, buffing Firebane was really good.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

DerVerrater posted:

I decided to start with the original on my phone, the controls are slightly odd to me but its a fantastic time waster on the train.

Thanks for the advice goons.

Glad you enjoy it! 2 and 3 on mobile are just as high-quality in terms of graphics and writing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

They didn't make many changes in regards to equipment, but those that are there went a long way. Cannock being able to use Erdrick's Sword and Light Sword, and a free Mysterious Hat in the Cave to Rhone. Also for spells, buffing Firebane was really good.

Absolutely. Cannock was limited to mid-game weapons in the original, and he was a liability throughout. Also, being able to get that hat (I farmed a second one for Cannock) and the number of Wizard Rings means that magic is more viable in dungeons, especially late game when you can rely on those shields for self healing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No matter which version of 2 you play though, Cave to Rhone is such a huge spike in difficulty and a giant roadblock overall. Every time I feel like revisiting 2, I remember that section of the game which is actually near the end and lose any compulsion to replay it.

Did you try the SFC one? Rhone was fairly challenging but not nearly the misery that it was on the NES. I was not overlevelled for it either.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Nintendo has been uploading a couple videos of DQVIII; here's the latest ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgQgl6ebH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYYQVjA7ic

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't that be coming out for PC? That game is gently caress beautiful even on the ps2 somehow, it really deserves a high resolution release.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vinchenz posted:

Nintendo has been uploading a couple videos of DQVIII; here's the latest ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgQgl6ebH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYYQVjA7ic

Morrie uses Swing Both Ways! God I love this series.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
For such a massive game, the DQ7 postgame sure was disappointing. You beat an easy boss three times to unlock a small, second bonus dungeon that has an even easier boss at the end?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Draile posted:

For such a massive game, the DQ7 postgame sure was disappointing. You beat an easy boss three times to unlock a small, second bonus dungeon that has an even easier boss at the end?

Easy?! Who are you?!!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So are these DQ8 release dates accurate?

Nintendo 3DS
JP: August 27, 2015
NA: January 20, 2017
EU: January 20, 2017
AUS: January 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Draile posted:

Im not that far but I'm guessing you're over levelled.

I haven't thought any dq post game dungeon was very good unfortunately.