Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The simple metaphor of lightning=fast is too confusing for today's audiences. If ya put lightning on a guy people are gonna start wondering why he doesn't do lightning stuff. For this same reason, going forward Batman will have actual giant bat wings and see through echolocation.

Batman basically does do both those things with gadgets basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Too confusing! He's not "cape-gliding man", drat it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Cruel Rose posted:

How's the n52 run of The Flash after Manapul and Buccellato leave? I liked their run and dunno if I wanna continue.

How do you like racism, bad art, plotholes every other page, character assassination and arcs that take 11 issues to finish?

It is the worst Flash book of all time, which is in some ways impressive because I never thought they'd make a Flash run worse than Bart's.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Jeeeeesus. Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet, folks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Flash's lightning trail is cool. Van Sciver seems to be the one that inspired people to go overboard with it. Nobody makes excessive amounts of energy look as cool as he does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Flash's lightning trail is cool. Van Sciver seems to be the one that inspired people to go overboard with it. Nobody makes excessive amounts of energy look as cool as he does.

I think he took what Scott Kolins was doing and went apeshit on it. Kollins drew the bulk of Johns Flash run and lightning may as well have been a major character in the book at that time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That is true. That, and the Zoom arc was what got me into the Flash after a lifetime of believing that a character that's faster than everyone can't be very compelling.

I also used to think Thor was just some muscle guy with a hammer and a stupid helmet.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Cruel Rose posted:

Jeeeeesus. Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet, folks.

If you want Good Flash stuff then Mark Waid's run just started getting collected with Book 1 this month. Admittedly, it's his first comics ever but book 2 (when it does come out) has the best Flash story ever. His run is also where like 80% of all the cool stuff about The Flash comes from.

There's also always Johns or Morrisons' runs which have been collected already and are great, but come after Waid's.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Does the Ostrander Suicide Squad have any spiritual successors in the 90s or was it the last hurrah for the DC spy books for nearly a decade. I have the Suicide Squad mini and blackest night tie in from the 00s.

Chase.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Are you reading All-Star, because Two-Face poured acid into Batman's eyes and he did in fact bust out a chest-mounted speaker system and start echolocating poo poo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hey you bastards. Stop making GBS threads on Scott Kolins. He's one of my favorite artists. Loved his Flash stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone read Harley Quinn? If so, please peep out of the woodwork to post the Michael Kaluta pages from #9.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Hey you bastards. Stop making GBS threads on Scott Kolins. He's one of my favorite artists. Loved his Flash stuff.

I'm not making GBS threads on it! He's just started a trend other lesser artists have picked up on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If you want Good Flash stuff then Mark Waid's run just started getting collected with Book 1 this month. Admittedly, it's his first comics ever but book 2 (when it does come out) has the best Flash story ever. His run is also where like 80% of all the cool stuff about The Flash comes from.
It was his first major ongoing title, but he started working for Fantagraphics (back when they did magazines that covered Marvel/DC) in like 1983, got his first Superman short story accepted by DC in 1985, got hired as an editor at DC in 1986, edited for a few years (including basically co-creating Elseworlds), "left the editorial field"/"got fired for slipping in a joke about a freelancer who murdered his wife his a hammer into the Christmas special", became a freelance writer, helped relaunch IMPACT COMICS at DC and wrote most of the books, wrote half of their early 1990s Who's Who series, a bunch of Justice League International stories, and then at the end of 1992 got brought on to write Flash.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

For whatever it's worth, I was super excited to read the Johns Flash run when the final TPB was released a month or two ago, so I bought all 3 of them and barely finished the first one before I decided I didn't like it and quit. Wasn't my thing at all. I have the first volume of the Waid run coming this week so I'm hoping that is better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone read Harley Quinn? If so, please peep out of the woodwork to post the Michael Kaluta pages from #9.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Thanks! This looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

It was his first major ongoing title, but he started working for Fantagraphics (back when they did magazines that covered Marvel/DC) in like 1983, got his first Superman short story accepted by DC in 1985, got hired as an editor at DC in 1986, edited for a few years (including basically co-creating Elseworlds), "left the editorial field"/"got fired for slipping in a joke about a freelancer who murdered his wife his a hammer into the Christmas special", became a freelance writer, helped relaunch IMPACT COMICS at DC and wrote most of the books, wrote half of their early 1990s Who's Who series, a bunch of Justice League International stories, and then at the end of 1992 got brought on to write Flash.

Was he working on X-Men at the same time as the Flash and LSH?

You wouldn't get something like that happening today?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was he working on X-Men at the same time as the Flash and LSH?

You wouldn't get something like that happening today?

There's still cross company writers, but yeah the big important books either are exclusive writers or effectively exclusive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it odd that I still think of Waid as fundamentally a DC guy even though he's a) done as much and as good work for Marvel as DC; b) not worked for them in half a decade; and c) probably never will again? Sort of like how Bendis is a quintessential Marvel guy and Johns is the same with DC.

I appreciate how reductive it is, but I think you get a lot of DC guys working for Marvel and Marvel guys working for DC, but you don't have so many guys who are thought of as being Big Two all-rounders, equally acclaimed and equally recognised for their work at both companies. Maybe George Perez.

Suppose Brian Michael Bendis went to work at DC. What book and/or character(s) would he be best on?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Catwoman or a Cameron Chase series, probably. I know the instinct is to say Batman, but I feel like it'd end up more Iron Man than Daredevil.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it odd that I still think of Waid as fundamentally a DC guy even though he's a) done as much and as good work for Marvel as DC; b) not worked for them in half a decade; and c) probably never will again? Sort of like how Bendis is a quintessential Marvel guy and Johns is the same with DC.

I appreciate how reductive it is, but I think you get a lot of DC guys working for Marvel and Marvel guys working for DC, but you don't have so many guys who are thought of as being Big Two all-rounders, equally acclaimed and equally recognised for their work at both companies. Maybe George Perez.

Suppose Brian Michael Bendis went to work at DC. What book and/or character(s) would he be best on?

I think Bendis once did a Batman Black and White backup story back when there was that one Batman story that has Black and White backups.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm. Which DC character do I not care about enough to wish Bendis on? It's strange, but I think he'd do okay on a Flash book. It's just quirky enough to indulge his quirks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

By far the strongest opponents of The Flintstones comic I've seen post in the "post blah comic pages/panels" threads here. I don't think I'm nuts for liking it a lot, but that's not the impression you'd get.

Not that people should need confirmation for their feelings, but I'm imagining it on a pile of year-end lists.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 12, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something I watched recently that's quite interesting and relevant to the DC thread is the first episode of Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest, which is a web-series he's doing where he looks at peoples' collections of stuff; in this one he meets Jim Lee and visits the DC offices.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

By far the strongest opponents of The Flintstones comic I've seen post in the "post blah comic pages/panels" threads here. I don't think I'm nuts for liking it a lot, but that's not the impression you'd get.

Not that people should need confirmation for their feelings, but I'm imagining it on a pile of year-end lists.

Mental floss had it in their top 20 year end list.

AV Club also did a write up of the latest issue in its Big Issues segment.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

His best Marvel work is definitely not as good as his best DC work. Heck none of his Marvel work lives up to the consistency of his Flash or the overall quality of 52(obviously not entirely his credit but his as much as anyone's) and Kingdom Come. What's the best thing he's done at Marvel, the first half of his Daredevil run? Pretty good but I don't think it even stands up to The Flash, though I am quite biased as I think Waid's Flash is far and away the best.

Bendis' best work is street level stuff where you can upend or ignore any past history and just do whatever, so some Batman spinoff like Red Hood (but bar him from bringing up Batman) or maybe Green Arrow? Green Arrow has done pretty well with some complete retoolings and I think making Oliver Bendis-style quippy isn't so far from the norm as to be infuriating. Oliver's had his life situation thrown in a blender so many times that Bendis forgetting poo poo about his past wouldn't matter.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 12, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

His best Marvel work is definitely not as good as his best DC work. Heck none of his Marvel work lives up to the consistency of his Flash or the overall quality of 52(obviously not entirely his credit but his as much as anyone's) and Kingdom Come. What's the best thing he's done at Marvel, the first half of his Daredevil run? Pretty good but I don't think it even stands up to The Flash, though I am quite biased as I think Waid's Flash is far and away the best.

His Captain America and Fantastic Four

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

His Captain America and Fantastic Four

I wasn't a big fan of his Cap but yeah, F4 was really good. But I still wouldn't put it as high as 52 or KC in general and Flash in my horribly biased view.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is a goddamned travesty that Mark Waid never got to write a lengthy Spider-man run when he was in his prime.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
If Didio steps down from his position before Waid retires, then I could see the guy coming back. That seems to be his big hangup, and he clearly still has a huge love for Flash especially. Though I'd argue Waid has just not been as good as he used to be in general. He has great gigs and concepts, but the actual product he produces isn't as well polished as it should be (see ANAD Avengers and Champions for recent examples.)

Plus I think it's a good idea to start getting newer writing talent that hasn't been around forever on books (new artists are pretty much always coming in by the bucket load in comparison), which DC seems to be doing a good job with. King and Orlando are still pretty new by industry standards, and they're doing more to elevate Tynion and Marguerite Bennett than in the past now that they aren't so attached by the hip to Snyder.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 12, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Harras also has to leave for Waid to come back.

Though if Didio can pull a mea culpa with loving Rucka of all people, the only top writer he scorned more than Waid, then maybe there's hope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd air on the side of developing new people than hooking in Waid (not that you can't do both.)
I haven't been real happy about some of his Marvel stuff post-Secret Wars.

e: And while I couldn't imagine his Justice League, as an example, could be any worse than Hitch's, I'd still rather see some more unexpected pick... or just Tom King's JL.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 12, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
"Suicide Squad meets the Banana-Splits"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Mark Russell is all over these and that pleases me so much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Booster Gold/Flintstones and Space Ghost/GL I get, but some of the others are out there... Top Cat and Batman? The gently caress?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Booster Gold/Flintstones and Space Ghost/GL I get, but some of the others are out there... Top Cat and Batman? The gently caress?

Top Cat is in fact one of Bruce's personas for infiltrating the underworld like Matches Malone.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Top Cat is a petty criminal, what's not to get?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Booster Gold/Flintstones sounds like such a perfect match. Ditto for Space Ghost and Green Lantern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fuckin' awesome.