Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does that have a big mod community still? I honestly have no idea, but that's pretty cool if it does. Neverwinter Nights was some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's died out I'm pretty sure. It was quite big, but just didn't live as long. NWN2 kind of killed it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How about Morrowind?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I reinstalled it a couple days ago to play with a friend and, surprisingly, mods are still being made, servers are still active, and people still playing online, too. Lots of good campaigns.
Gamespy's server list shutting down has made things a little difficult to meet up with other people, though. You have to, like, direct connect to every server via IP. What a pain.

I wonder how feasible it'd be to make a DnD 3.5e mod for Doom.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

RyokoTK posted:

I would have originally said Super Mario World but I think Mario Maker fractured that community real good.

Maybe in the same sense that the classic Doom modding community was "fractured" by SnapMap, sure.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ludicrium is a great parody of Slaughter maps. That map 5 gimmick brought my computer to its knees, though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mill Village posted:

Ludicrium is a great parody of Slaughter maps. That map 5 gimmick brought my computer to its knees, though.

It was the only one I couldn't beat. Not even sure if it's possible with any of the PC's I have at home. I was down to about 20 frames per minute on that one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Maybe in the same sense that the classic Doom modding community was "fractured" by SnapMap, sure.

No, not in that sense, because Mario Maker is Lunar Magic (or the Super Mario Bros X editor) but better, but SnapMap is Doom Builder but worse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

treat posted:

It was the only one I couldn't beat. Not even sure if it's possible with any of the PC's I have at home. I was down to about 20 frames per minute on that one.
What makes it worse than Nuts.wad? It's gotten to the point where you can get a good enough framerate on that to play.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hope you had barrels o' fun at your party!

Edit: where the gently caress did that whole page come from!? :downs:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

What makes it worse than Nuts.wad? It's gotten to the point where you can get a good enough framerate on that to play.

Map 5 is titled "Chain Reaction." Pain Elementals spawn more Pain Elementals instead of Lost Souls. When you kill one, three more Pain Elementals spawn. This snowballs really fast.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Map 5 is titled "Chain Reaction." Pain Elementals spawn more Pain Elementals instead of Lost Souls. When you kill one, three more Pain Elementals spawn. This snowballs really fast.
:aaaaa: That's just mean.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

:aaaaa: That's just mean.

I just tested it again on my laptop. By the time the monster count hits 20,000 I'm getting a single frame every 45 seconds or so.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Not really, because SnapMap is bad and dumb and Mario Maker owns. It doesn't let you make your own 96-exit Mario World romhack but it's a very capable level-making tool with pretty drat loose restrictions! Also because Mario Maker is good and not bad, new people to Mario will just stick with Mario Maker rather than look back to the olden days of Mario level-making.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If it doesn't get a release on the Switch people might go back to SMW, but it probably will keep getting new versions as long as people keep buying them, it's the Nintendo way.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm eagerly awaiting the Switch offering Mario 3D Maker, so I can make some killer sick 3D World levels.

But there's not really any reason for them to not continuously re-release and update Mario Maker. I'd probably buy a new copy with more features if I end up buying a Switch. The super easy map sharing and 100 Mario Mode and the interactivity of pieces gives Mario Maker a lot of flexibility that Lunar Magic et al don't have.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I missed out on the WiiU, might get a Switch someday, so this is one definite case of me hoping against all hopes that Nintendo be their regular selves and rerelease the poo poo out Mario Maker.

Anyway, I've been totally addicted to Temin's ~20 years of Doom LP, and just finally caught up to Doom 2 :toot: Some of those 94 wads were slogs, but I'm all the more thankful that they're now playing something infinitely better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Not an FPS, but I had a sudden pang of nostalgia for Oni earlier this week and ordered a £3 copy off ebay, which just arrived. Surprisingly, there's a fully functional fan-patch with a still semi-active fan community, and the mod repository contains stuff that was released in 2014.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 11, 2016

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I've had my ps2 copy of Oni and I still haven't tried it out yet.

Also, just downloaded Exodus from the Earth. I think I'm prepared for this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I missed out on the WiiU, might get a Switch someday, so this is one definite case of me hoping against all hopes that Nintendo be their regular selves and rerelease the poo poo out Mario Maker.

Anyway, I've been totally addicted to Temin's ~20 years of Doom LP, and just finally caught up to Doom 2 :toot: Some of those 94 wads were slogs, but I'm all the more thankful that they're now playing something infinitely better.

Ooo! Do you have a link to the LP? That sounds great.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Arivia posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772902&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/88alice/status/807971941332025344

Kurashiki did it again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Thyrork already posted a link, but yeah, that thread and this one go hand in hand. Or at least they should. I'd expect a lot of overlap of subscribed goons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For reference, the drawing's of JPCP MAP20.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RyokoTK posted:

Not really, because SnapMap is bad and dumb and Mario Maker owns. It doesn't let you make your own 96-exit Mario World romhack but it's a very capable level-making tool with pretty drat loose restrictions! Also because Mario Maker is good and not bad, new people to Mario will just stick with Mario Maker rather than look back to the olden days of Mario level-making.

Super Mario Maker requires you to be one of the very few people with Nintendo's least popular home console of all time, unless you want to use the 3DS version which doesn't let you use all the options of the Wii U version and only lets you share levels via local play. And they even stopped production of new Wii U systems a couple weeks back.

All editing Super Mario World levels requires is like any computer made since 1998 to run the editor programs and emulators. Hmm, that sounds rather like the requirements for comfortably editing Doom maps...

So I really don't know why you'd think people are going to stick to Mario Maker, when barely anyone has it in a version that actually lets you easily share and receive the new levels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are you really not going to take Mario Maker's incredibly simple level sharing system into account? It's so, so much easier to share a Mario Maker level than it is to manually patch roms to compile a romhack made in Lunar Magic. Editing a classic Super Mario World level is pretty easy and Lunar Magic and Mario Maker have relatively similar capabilities (with the former's limitations mostly coming from the fact that they have to work with a rom of the real Super Mario World), but the easiness of making it playable and sharing it is like day and night.

edit: And one could argue that it is easy to compile a SMW rom hack because all you have to do is drag and drop it and your SMW rom onto the programs that are (I think?) included with Lunar Magic. But even so, that still requires multiple external programs and then you have to find a place to host it and then others have to download it onto their own computers. Compared to Mario Maker, where you just share the several-digits-long code, you don't have to download or patch anything yourself, and no external programs are required. Arguably, this same difference is the only advantage SnapMap has over Doom Builder.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 11, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Super Mario Maker should be able a launch title for the Switch :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thyrork already posted a link, but yeah, that thread and this one go hand in hand. Or at least they should. I'd expect a lot of overlap of subscribed goons.

I don't normally venture in the LP forum but this one in particular is very entertaining. Although at present I only get time to put it on when working at home or doing the washing up, so I have watched exactly 4 episodes so far.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Are you really not going to take Mario Maker's incredibly simple level sharing system into account? It's so, so much easier to share a Mario Maker level than it is to manually patch roms to compile a romhack made in Lunar Magic. Editing a classic Super Mario World level is pretty easy and Lunar Magic and Mario Maker have relatively similar capabilities (with the former's limitations mostly coming from the fact that they have to work with a rom of the real Super Mario World), but the easiness of making it playable and sharing it is like day and night.

edit: And one could argue that it is easy to compile a SMW rom hack because all you have to do is drag and drop it and your SMW rom onto the programs that are (I think?) included with Lunar Magic. But even so, that still requires multiple external programs and then you have to find a place to host it and then others have to download it onto their own computers. Compared to Mario Maker, where you just share the several-digits-long code, you don't have to download or patch anything yourself, and no external programs are required. Arguably, this same difference is the only advantage SnapMap has over Doom Builder.

I agree with you but just to clarify SNES emulators have had auto-patching for years and years at this point and playing a ROM hack doesn't require external tools. At worst you have to rename the files to have matching filenames.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Negrostrike posted:

Kurashiki did it again

Full-size:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Friend posted:

I agree with you but just to clarify SNES emulators have had auto-patching for years and years at this point and playing a ROM hack doesn't require external tools. At worst you have to rename the files to have matching filenames.

The last time I tried to make a Super Mario World hack was like five years ago so if the process is that much easier now then fair enough. Regardless, I still believe that Mario Maker's online sharing is most of the reason why it is superior to the homebrew stuff- the 3DS Mario Maker sucks because most of the point of the game is playing other peoples' levels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CJacobs posted:

The Wii U version has a simple level-sharing system, but very few people have a Wii U and the Wii U also got discontinued in the middle of November. So your ability to really share is limited because so few people have the system. That's really bad for it having longevity as opposed to the PC editors for SMW and other games, which just keep getting easier to use.

I mean keep in mind a lot of the people into Super Mario World and the other modded ROMs just play other people's levels, and those are very easy to get, especially since people stopped bother to keep the patches and the original rom seperated.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

No, not in that sense, because Mario Maker is Lunar Magic (or the Super Mario Bros X editor) but better, but SnapMap is Doom Builder but worse.
Lunar Magic is way, way better than Mario Maker though. You can't even make an overworld that connects to a set of levels in Mario Maker(and as a result, can't make a "full game"-esque edit), all you can make is individual levels(and once you dig a bit deeper into ROMhacking you have so, so much more freedom than anything like Mario Maker).

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So I just got introduced to Space Trucker by the latest live stream from Giant Bomb (Skip to 1:22:00 if you have a suscription to see the combat kick off).

A lot of sprites and sounds were seeming real familiar to me so I checked and quickly found a thread on the ZDoom forums where they break down a lot of the borrowed assets used in this fine $20 original product. On-fire-guy sprites from Blood, door sounds from Doom, and even a re-colored Doomguy hand which might itself be from Brutal Doom.

I just wanted you guys to know, that I never ever played or watched the old Build engine Tekwar game, but when the instant I saw the digitized character sprites pop up in that video, I knew they had to have been ripped from Tekwar. Cuz I'm for real.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Copper Vein posted:

I never ever played or watched the old Build engine Tekwar game,

*tsk* Johnny-come-latelys who didn't but a big-box copy of Tekwar in a store the week it came out!

and then took it back a couple days later because holy poo poo was it bad even way back when

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Couple of good HL2 short singleplayer maps/mods re: the discussion last page.

Minerva
http://store.steampowered.com/app/235780/

Transmissions: Element 120
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365300/

And for HL1 I always liked Box Wars and The Trenches.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I liked the way people gibbed into small pieces of meaty tumbleweed.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

*tsk* Johnny-come-latelys who didn't but a big-box copy of Tekwar in a store the week it came out!

and then took it back a couple days later because holy poo poo was it bad even way back when

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it, (never really looked too hard either.) but that game had a few demo versions trickling out slowly that I played and it was pretty amusing to see how they just mangled it further and further in every version, like they started out with a few good ideas, and then,....Damnit I wish I could remember more about those demos.....Actually, no.

I remember thinking something like "Hey! This is like Rise of the Triad but harder and more gritty!" Poor youthful me.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

ravinghobo posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it, (never really looked too hard either.) but that game had a few demo versions trickling out slowly that I played and it was pretty amusing to see how they just mangled it further and further in every version, like they started out with a few good ideas, and then,....Damnit I wish I could remember more about those demos.....Actually, no.

I remember thinking something like "Hey! This is like Rise of the Triad but harder and more gritty!" Poor youthful me.

PO'ed kind of did the same thing except in the reverse and I really thought it was neat to play the newest demo and go back to the first one and check out all the things that changed,...I was waay too excited for that nonsensical game so the 3do could really show what a beast it was!
Still think that damned game is really impressive in a I drank too much cough syrup holy gently caress sorta way.

P.S. I post gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not an FPS, but I had a sudden pang of nostalgia for Oni earlier this week and ordered a £3 copy off ebay, which just arrived. Surprisingly, there's a fully functional fan-patch with a still semi-active fan community, and the mod repository contains stuff that was released in 2014.

Yeah, the Anniversary Edition. Man, Bungie's made some great games.

Also, The Dome of D'Sparil starts off brutally, especially if you don't realise that switch will give you a Dragon Claw back at the beginning.