Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm tempted by the new masterpiece Megatron despite the hefty price tag. The downside is that inevitable orange plug- is it easy to remove? I seem to remember bbts or tfsource saying 'removing it will cause damage,' about previous megatron figure/kos but is that something they 'have' to say about it for legalese reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The way the titan masters interact with the rest of the figures seems to hit the same spot in my brain that lego minifigs do, they're great.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Cakefarts Carol posted:

I'm tempted by the new masterpiece Megatron despite the hefty price tag. The downside is that inevitable orange plug- is it easy to remove? I seem to remember bbts or tfsource saying 'removing it will cause damage,' about previous megatron figure/kos but is that something they 'have' to say about it for legalese reasons?

My MP-5 Megatron's plug was held in with a tiny spot of hot glue. Did no damage to remove it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Somebody reported that a third party Megatron's orange plug fell out as they took him out of the box so it shouldn't be a problem to remove it without damage.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Found Titans Return Triggerhappy at Target. Was only $10, too. I haven't bought any Deluxes in a while, but I thought they were creeping up towards $20 lately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cant wait for wave 3 to hit the UK properly, and so the hunt can begin anew!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I found a Breakaway at Target but I was sorta looking for a Triggerhappy

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Cakefarts Carol posted:

Or just import it and don't worry about the orange plug at all.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Cakefarts Carol posted:

The orange plugs tend to be very weakly secured most of the time. Despotron's wasn't even glued in at all. The only one I've had any issue with was Apollyon's which was glued in enough that I had to use pliers to rip the thing out. I highly doubt Takara Megs' will be too tough to remove.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Apollyon I just got had no glue on the plug at all.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Can we even order MP Megs from HLJ? Are we stuck with BBTS prices?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So...I'm not really into toy collecting, can someone tell me how this whole third party market works? Like, I get that the names aren't the same trademarked names, but seriously, you can make you're own toy of so and so and sell it if you just call it by a different name?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

WickedHate posted:

So...I'm not really into toy collecting, can someone tell me how this whole third party market works? Like, I get that the names aren't the same trademarked names, but seriously, you can make you're own toy of so and so and sell it if you just call it by a different name?

HasTak sees not suing then as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpazmasterX posted:

HasTak sees not suing then as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Pretty much. Hastak has quietly lifted a few design elements off the 3P stuff over the last couple of years. And if they went after one they'd have to go after them all and the fanbase would be in an uproar.

Edit: I'm watching SUPER GOD MASTER FORCE and holy hell is it terrible.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 12, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What exactly has Hasbro 'quietly lifted'? Common engineering elements of a basic nature don't really prove their engineers copied anything, and parallel evolution is a thing.

WickedHate posted:

Hasbro has, in the past, pursued action against stores for the sale of knock-offs. They have supposedly acknowledged that the third-party market is made of individuals who overwhelmingly already spend large sums on collector goods and simply seek to spend more money on TFs than they're producing. That's just a rumor, though. They're completely in different markets, and whenever Takara-Tomy puts out an official MP it just destroys the 3P market in that space so I'm not sure how they feel about it. TT seems to do so intentionally, as well.

I don't think that most 3P stuff is really a violation of the law, though, or at least to the point I can't imagine they see much point in bothering. You'd have to demonstrate things I'm not sure you can, but I'm not a trademark lawyer. If you think you can put a thing that looks like Overlord, an obscure character with basically next to zero popularity in the mainstream, beside an Overlord toy and prove much of anything besides 'yes these are both children's toys'...

The other thing is the 3P market is tiny. Maybe the Chinese/Asian market is bigger, but the impression I get is sub-25k if not sub-5k north american buyers. Why bother going after a niche market with a flimsy case at best when MPs or Generations outsell 3P offerings by a hundred times? Hasbro is a billion dollar company. All of the 3P companies might add up to like, a couple million, maybe.

One thing I've always wanted to man up and ask, but I've never had the guts, is how Alex Milne feels about 3P companies ripping off his designs. That's kinda different.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

Can we even order MP Megs from HLJ? Are we stuck with BBTS prices?

Of course you can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think that most 3P stuff is really a violation of the law, though, or at least to the point I can't imagine they see much point in bothering. You'd have to demonstrate things I'm not sure you can, but I'm not a trademark lawyer. If you think you can put a thing that looks like Overlord, an obscure character with basically next to zero popularity in the mainstream, beside an Overlord toy and prove much of anything besides 'yes these are both children's toys'...
The short version is that even ignoring that Hasbro has waaaaaay more money than any 3P company to go through litigation (if it even came to that), it would be extraordinarily easy to show IP infringement. 3P companies are clearly marketing the same sort of toys to the same market as Hasbro and they show stunning design similarities to toys they've produced in the past and currently.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Of course you can.

They're putting an orange plug in it? I don't want any customs problems.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Endless Mike posted:

it would be extraordinarily easy to show IP infringement.

It really isn't. I say this as a lawyer that has taken classes that literally covered the topic of knock-off and "third party" toys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
as I was messing w/ TR hot rod, I was thinking "you know, they should do an Arcee because she actually was a headmaster for like 1 episode"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

as I was messing w/ TR hot rod, I was thinking "you know, they should do an Arcee because she actually was a headmaster for like 1 episode"
There's some quote from a con about how Arcee fans will be "very happy" in 2017 but who knows what that means

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

There's some quote from a con about how Arcee fans will be "very happy" in 2017 but who knows what that means

Hopefully that means an MP Arcee but a Titan Master one would also be neat.

And you know, MP Kup and Springer would also be really cool. Part of me wants the Fans Toys Galvatron and he's almost dead on, but I think none of them are quite the right shade of purple. In the show, G1 Galvatron was kind of halfway between blue and purple. Kind of a light violet. He was burple.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

A Bad Poster posted:

Found Titans Return Triggerhappy at Target. Was only $10, too. I haven't bought any Deluxes in a while, but I thought they were creeping up towards $20 lately.

Canadian here, and I pretty much only ever buy from the same Wal-Mart if I'm buying in-store, and it seems to me like deluxes are fluctuating like gas prices- I got Scourge for $9.99 with no indication of "this is on sale" and I know I've seen TR deluxes for $14.99 at another time, and I'm also pretty sure I bought some combiner limbs at $20 a pop.

Spike if you have time time I'd be interested if you could elaborate a little bit. Like maybe how you'd defend one of the people making very obvious Megatron ripoffs. I don't pretend to know dick about trademark/patent stuff but is it as simple as not having the Decepticon logo painted on?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was diggin' this one until I got to the back of the car mode:

:mrwhite:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hopefully that means an MP Arcee but a Titan Master one would also be neat.

And you know, MP Kup and Springer would also be really cool. Part of me wants the Fans Toys Galvatron and he's almost dead on, but I think none of them are quite the right shade of purple. In the show, G1 Galvatron was kind of halfway between blue and purple. Kind of a light violet. He was burple.

I feel like an official MP Galvatron, Springer, and Trailbreaker/Hoist are imminent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Trailbreaker and Hoist are I think gonna be very soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

I was diggin' this one until I got to the back of the car mode:

:mrwhite:

Isn't there a shield that pops on there to finish out the car?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I feel like an official MP Galvatron, Springer, and Trailbreaker/Hoist are imminent.

That's also why I've held off on those.

Hopefully I don't regret getting FT Willis \ Hound but well, I really like Hound.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there a shield that pops on there to finish out the car?

If there is it doesn't appear in any of the pictures, nor could I find it in the comments. I was going through the pictures 'cause I expected one, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

If there is it doesn't appear in any of the pictures, nor could I find it in the comments. I was going through the pictures 'cause I expected one, too.

I'm thinking of the WJ oversized Arcee. Way to fumble the ball Toyworld.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's also why I've held off on those.

Hopefully I don't regret getting FT Willis \ Hound but well, I really like Hound.

Willis is one of those I just don't see Takara improving on. They'd have to just include a ton of show-referencing accessories. A cage for Ravage, the keys, maybe hologram labcoats.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I got my secret santa gift in the mail today and I loved it. I was on the fence about Alpha Trion but I love my oddly purple and pink Unicorn/Lion thing. He stands out from the rest of my animal Transformers and looks great, plus that sword is great.

You nailed it with that unique metal 3D figure, I have never seen those before and they are incredible looking. I like toys that make me sit and work for something and the detail is wonderful. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying a few more in the future.

Thanks again mystery goon, this is my 4th secret santa exchange and it was amazing again.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

You nailed it with that unique metal 3D figure, I have never seen those before and they are incredible looking. I like toys that make me sit and work for something and the detail is wonderful. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying a few more in the future.

If you haven't put those together before, I highly recommend picking up a simpler 3D Metal Earth kit and putting that together before tackling Megatron. I've done several of them and the Transformers ones are by far the most challenging.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I think by and large I am happy with Generations family stuff over MPs.

Unibros before Deceptihoes and whatnot.

Outside of some of Hasbro's lack of paint apps most of their G1 inspired stuff since 06 has been good to excellent honestly. And for 10-15 USD for a Deluxe its.. well the MPs aren't that much better. They are generally better but 80ish dollars to 12.50 average? NOPE. (Ok I would probably say MP Ironhide and Ratchet over their Classics incarnations but that mold was.. not so good to begin with. Not the train wreck many claim but.. not good at all. In the same category as Classics Galvy and Twinferno. A disappointment. Except those two could have been good with better tolerances and a few more joints at a bigger size class. I can't think of any legitimate improvements to Classics Ironhide that would un lame him.)

EDIT: Got Ptero and Triggerhappy today too. Ptero is decent enough in bird mode but vehicle is kind of poo poo. Triggerhappy loving kicks rear end in both modes. He might be best Deluxe in the line. Even better than Hot Rod or Chromedome. A very clever transformation though sadly you can't make a good Gerwalk mode. He does have an absurd amount of guns on him. Like potentially TWELVE of them. Goddamn he kicks rear end.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 13, 2016

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

On the flip side, I've been considering paring the collection down to just Masterpieces and G1 vintage. I really do like the Titans Return line, though, so this probably isn't the year I decide to do that.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Rythe posted:

I got my secret santa gift in the mail today and I loved it. I was on the fence about Alpha Trion but I love my oddly purple and pink Unicorn/Lion thing. He stands out from the rest of my animal Transformers and looks great, plus that sword is great.

Thanks again mystery goon, this is my 4th secret santa exchange and it was amazing again.

Glad you like it! This was my first Secret Santa, so I'm glad it was stuff you like. The Metal Earth figure isn't that bad. Take your time with it and maybe watch some videos to familiarize yourself with them. You'll need some decent needlenose pliers, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Still watching Masterforce and realized one of my cats was missing. He's my most social and loving cat, if I'm sitting down he has to be in my lap. I found him curled up in a closet, picked him up and went back to the couch. He stayed there with me for about 10 minutes and then he got up and left. I found him back in the closet.

So I figure my cat doesn't like the sound of Japanese and is a huge racist.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Keldroc posted:

If you haven't put those together before, I highly recommend picking up a simpler 3D Metal Earth kit and putting that together before tackling Megatron. I've done several of them and the Transformers ones are by far the most challenging.

I already broke a piece off due to miss interrupting the instructions, thankfully I was able to use a bit of hot glue to put it back on and salvage it. You kind of need to look 4-5 steps in advance to make sure you are not bending a piece to early, needless to say I love the model kit and I am going to be picking up the rest of the series soon. That seems to be my only issue so far is bending a piece only to release I need to bend it back to insert a connection or accent items.

They are $10 from Walmart with free shipping so I can not pass that up, especially since I have an extended trip coming up and they will be handy to have around. I do need to look for a tiny/skinnier pair of needle nose though, the ones I have work well buy are a tad to bulky.

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Glad you like it! This was my first Secret Santa, so I'm glad it was stuff you like. The Metal Earth figure isn't that bad. Take your time with it and maybe watch some videos to familiarize yourself with them. You'll need some decent needlenose pliers, though.

Alpha Trion is wonderful, his colors rock and he is just big and bulky, he goes very well with Wolfwire and especially great next too Skullsmasher. My 4 year old daughter thinks the Unicorn Lion is pretty too.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 13, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

On the flip side, I've been considering paring the collection down to just Masterpieces and G1 vintage. I really do like the Titans Return line, though, so this probably isn't the year I decide to do that.
I feel like the next line is going to be a horrendous stinker, though I can't pin down why. Just somehow whatever follows combiners and headmasters just won't work right.

Rhyno posted:

So I figure my cat doesn't like the sound of Japanese and is a huge racist.
Maybe he's more into shoujo

Maybe Masterforce is garbage and your cat has taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like the next line is going to be a horrendous stinker, though I can't pin down why. Just somehow whatever follows combiners and headmasters just won't work right.

That's just TF fan paranoia. It sets in every time we get a streak of good toys for more than a year. I feel it, too, but I'm hoping that's a false positive due to another movie line looming in the distance and Power of the Primes will keep the streak going.