Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was feeling good about what I got my dad for Christmas but he's pitching his loving fits early this year and demanded I not get him anything this year and that I cancel anything I got him.

He has done this every drat year since my great-grandmother died and if she were around still she would loving suplex him for it because she loved the holidays like you wouldn't believe. Fine, our tastes are similar enough I'll just take it for myself, you goddamn Grinch.
it was a ring of Zaruba from Garo. I thought he'd like the cranky old man talking ring. Can't cancel it either, because Amazon Prime is fast like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There are two places in my delivery radius -- one that serves chicken fingers & fries with no honey mustard, and one that serves chicken fingers with honey mustard but you have to buy the fries separately. Also the place with honey mustard doesn't have any dessert options. This has been a hungover post. :smith:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I spent too much money on a fancy vibrator last night at our semi-annual drunken co-worker dildo party. On the other hand, I learned that this lady who sells sex toys for a living makes decent money for 2-3 hours of blabbing about vibs and lube and only works like 2-3 days a week + some facebook time.

Like, I'm thinking about selling sex toys as a part-time job because my real job sucks so hard that waltzing into a group of tipsy ladies and yelling, "Who wants some orgasms? I've got 'em by the bucketfull!" is sort of seductive.

Not even the worst drunken lady could be half bad as our clients. At least these ladies want to be here and to spend some cash.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YeahTubaMike posted:

There are two places in my delivery radius -- one that serves chicken fingers & fries with no honey mustard, and one that serves chicken fingers with honey mustard but you have to buy the fries separately. Also the place with honey mustard doesn't have any dessert options. This has been a hungover post. :smith:

Buy an order from each and get an extra side of that sweet honey mustard.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

empty sea posted:

I spent too much money on a fancy vibrator last night at our semi-annual drunken co-worker dildo party. On the other hand, I learned that this lady who sells sex toys for a living makes decent money for 2-3 hours of blabbing about vibs and lube and only works like 2-3 days a week + some facebook time.

Like, I'm thinking about selling sex toys as a part-time job because my real job sucks so hard that waltzing into a group of tipsy ladies and yelling, "Who wants some orgasms? I've got 'em by the bucketfull!" is sort of seductive.

Not even the worst drunken lady could be half bad as our clients. At least these ladies want to be here and to spend some cash.

Fair warning that's possibly just another MLM like amway but (slightly) sexier, so take any "I make XXX a week for three days work" claims with a grain of salt.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Nobody makes the kinds of games I like playing anymore.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nobody wants to watch the stuff I like to watch, but are more than happy to push the stuff *they* like at me and get all pissy when I point this out. I'm gonna just start flat-out saying "No" the next time someone tells me "you've GOT to watch <whatever the gently caress the new flavor of the week is>"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What do you like to play? I'm kinda in the same boat. I think MGSV may be what I want but I can't afford more luxury items for a while.

FWP:
I'm tired of being a bit overweight but mostly I'm sick of feeling weak. Christmas time isn't a big food fest for me so I don't have to wait to change!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

What do you like to play? I'm kinda in the same boat. I think MGSV may be what I want but I can't afford more luxury items for a while.

FWP:
I'm tired of being a bit overweight but mostly I'm sick of feeling weak. Christmas time isn't a big food fest for me so I don't have to wait to change!

Turn-based strategy games, city builders, and the like. A few have come out but they've been underwhelming. The games industry as a whole seems to rely more on flashy visuals and pretty, high-tech graphics rather than gameplay. Favorite games of mine from the past include the Space Empires series, Pharaoh, Caesar III, Patrician III, the Railroad Tycoon games, the Anno games...that sort of thing. You know, Master of Orion, Civilization...that stuff.

As far as those go if the series has gotten a new game it's been appallingly bad. Civilization V was a boring let down (no I haven't tried VI yet and don't care to), Beyond Earth was a wet fart of a game that reviewed so badly I never bothered to try it, Patrician IV was about the same. It just didn't sell well because it was dead on release. Caesar IV was a repetitive, buggy, and appallingly boring game, and Anno 22-whatever made changes I just don't have much interest in. A lot of it just feels like the stupid, garbage quality nostalgia cash ins the movie industry has been up to.

Good 4X games also just don't happen anymore. Endless Space was so generic I swear it was built in a factory somewhere. The Total War series has long since peaked. Shogun 2 was the last one that was any good and even that was very "meh." Any train games that come out just don't have the things that made the Tycoon games fun. I tried Sid Meier's Railroads! but that game was painfully bad.

Despite all of its flaws I liked Emperor of the Fading Suns a lot but nobody seems to want to make a game on that scale these days.

Most games that come out seem to be shooters and I just don't like those much anymore. I want some epic turn-based strategy games that are interesting for 1,000 turns, drat it. I'd like some logistics nerd games or good economic sims but that stuff is harder to make than Call of Modern Warsnake Dutyfield XXIV.

While I'm kvetching about games I'm also sick of seeing $300 of DLC coming out for a game where the base game just plain lacks a lot of the content. Pay to win prerelease goodies make games less fun and should not exist. Prerelease exclusive content in general is also loving stupid. The games industry is not respecting its customers, especially when they release a barely playable, buggy piece of $60 pile of garbage that doesn't even work on release. Then five patches later you can finally play it only to find out that it's a dismal wreck of a game. I quit playing the Hitman series after Absolution. I was looking forward to a new Hitman game after liking the rest of the series but that game wasn't even playable on day zero. When it finally became playable it became apparent that the game wasn't any good and lacked a lot of what made Hitman fun.

My other FWP problem is I fiddle with games in my spare time but I can't decide what idea to pursue. I keep thinking about just sitting down and loving making the games I want to play but it's a mix of :effort: and having trouble deciding. I write code for a living now so there are a lot of days I just don't want to go home and write more.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Agreed. There's been a shitload of 4x games to come out recently, but they are all bad. Every one of them. Stardrive 2, Master of Orion, Galactic civilization, civ 6, endless space; none of them scratch that itch I've been wanting from a game like that.

If you like Caesar 3, you should check out Lethis - Path of Progress, very Caesar 3 feeling but rather short.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Chrome's search feature can be really annoying. I had to manually skim my control panel for a thread I bookmarked, because for some reason the search absolutely not find the word I was looking for. As in, literally looking at the word but the search says it's not there, and I know I'm spelling it right.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's profoundly aggravating.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I played Sins of A Solar Empire for way longer than I thought was fun.

If you like building, City: Skylines is the best city sim out right now. It's not turn based or any combat but it's extremely polished and relaxing.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

teamdest posted:

Fair warning that's possibly just another MLM like amway but (slightly) sexier, so take any "I make XXX a week for three days work" claims with a grain of salt.

Depends who you go through. An actual store does organise these kinds of parties to push merchandise for ladies too shy to walk in to a sex shop or order online.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I had an old bar fridge I hadn't used in a couple of years, so on Friday I made sure it still worked and put it up on gumtree, free to anyone who wanted to come get it. Got a response very quickly, she said she could come get it today (Monday) at 2pm.

So of course 2pm came and went with no sign of her. She had my phone number as well as being able to message me through gumtree, but she hadn't made any attempt to contact me. So at 3pm I sent her a message on gumtree, and only then did she phone me. And even though my listing said the fridge worked and she'd asked me on Friday if it worked she had to ask me again if I was sure it worked, and suddenly decided that she needed to know how old the fridge is. And wanted to know if I thought it would fit in her car (but didn't mention what sort of car it is).

Eventually she said she'd be here in about half an hour. Well, it was more like 4pm by the time she arrived, and I'm ready to help her carry the thing out and load it into her car, but now she tells me she's suffered a neck injury and can't lift anything. Her husband was supposed to be here to help but he couldn't get away from work. And it was her idea to do this in the middle of the day - she could have suggested we do it later in the afternoon.

But she sees one of my neighbours about to get in his car and goes up and asks him to help, so he and I carry the fridge out, and now she doesn't know how to fold the back seats down in her car to make room so we have to figure that out.

And all this meant that by the time I got a chance to go to the bakery they'd sold out of the bread I wanted, and I ran out of time to go to the library. I should have just dumped the fridge on the nature strip like everyone else around here seems to with their old furniture and appliances.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I dunno, it seems like maybe you're just burned out on the genre or looking back with rose-tinted glasses.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Yup I try to give away my old stuff (which to be fair is stuff I would have gladly accepted myself when I went flatting or was a student or whatever) and it's always such a freaking nightmare dealing with people.

If you chuck it up for $5 or $10 you at least get bargain hunters instead of freeloading losers that muck you around.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
One of my friends from work is in a really awful relationship and isn't ready to leave him yet. She's still justifying his lovely, manipulative behavior by saying things like "well he doesn't hurt me physically.." like that makes it okay. I want to help her, but there's only so much you can do for someone who won't help themselves. :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I dunno, it seems like maybe you're just burned out on the genre or looking back with rose-tinted glasses.

I still break out Pharaoh from time to time. That's still fun. Zeus can be sometimes. I still play Civ IV despite its faults. Granted mods help the last one...

Total War probably did go stale, though. Granted from what I've heard Total War: Warhammer was mediocre at best. So yeah partially true.

Bees on Wheat posted:

One of my friends from work is in a really awful relationship and isn't ready to leave him yet. She's still justifying his lovely, manipulative behavior by saying things like "well he doesn't hurt me physically.." like that makes it okay. I want to help her, but there's only so much you can do for someone who won't help themselves. :smith:

Some people just can't seem to leave bad relationships. There's thoughts of stuff like "well at least I have someone" or "I can fix this!" Ending a relationship is also a pretty big thing, despite the constant :sever: advice. It's a major change and initiating that is big and scary. What if it gets better? There must be some reason I got into this situation; something I'm getting out of it. Am I making the right decision? What if they get really angry if we break up and something awful happens?

...not that I've stayed in toxic relationships too long with terrible women. Multiple times. Nope. Never did that. Nosiree! I most certainly don't have a problem of "I absolutely cannot talk to women now" thanks to it. Why would I have that kind of problem?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Bees on Wheat posted:

Does she know what a real healthy relationship looks like?

Maybe she just doesn't know that things could be quite a bit better if she did leave?

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I am beginning to study for a professional licensing exam and I hate it. gently caress, I hate studying. It doesn't help that I already failed the exam twice in the last year, so I am studying the same poo poo all over again.

I know getting licensed and being a Bona Fide Professional Adult will be awesome and life changing but god dammit I just want to go back to sleeping in on weekends and being a lazy piece of poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend, who just got a new job she loves, that has actual living hours (9-5, so her schedule about matches mine) was so excited we could actually start up our online rpg again....but now she's never around because she says she is too busy at work. She has time to play WoW and urges me to start playing that, and time to scour Facebook and post a million Harry Potter memes...but she is too busy to even hang out. gently caress, she just posted some meme about how people MAKE time if they really want to do something, in regards to her leveling up in WoW. But the second her husband fucks up, she has all the time in the world to cry on my shoulder.

loving sever, I know.

My boss calls me every Monday to ask if I can stay an hour late every day that week. Every Monday. We just hired another dude who works my shift...but see, he has a kid who needs to be picked up from daycare by 530pm, so the new guy HAS to leave at 5pm sharp. Earlier is better. He's trying to get an 8-4 shift instead, but because I don't have kids, I am always pushed to stay late, and the earlier shift might go to the new guy because he keeps pushing for it whereas I was never told the loving thing was open.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I got my eyebrows threaded and they look fabulous and I'm getting tons of compliments on them but the threading irritates my skin and makes me break out a little

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend, who just got a new job she loves, that has actual living hours (9-5, so her schedule about matches mine) was so excited we could actually start up our online rpg again....but now she's never around because she says she is too busy at work. She has time to play WoW and urges me to start playing that, and time to scour Facebook and post a million Harry Potter memes...but she is too busy to even hang out. gently caress, she just posted some meme about how people MAKE time if they really want to do something, in regards to her leveling up in WoW. But the second her husband fucks up, she has all the time in the world to cry on my shoulder.

loving sever, I know.

My boss calls me every Monday to ask if I can stay an hour late every day that week. Every Monday. We just hired another dude who works my shift...but see, he has a kid who needs to be picked up from daycare by 530pm, so the new guy HAS to leave at 5pm sharp. Earlier is better. He's trying to get an 8-4 shift instead, but because I don't have kids, I am always pushed to stay late, and the earlier shift might go to the new guy because he keeps pushing for it whereas I was never told the loving thing was open.

1) Absolutely sever. I've been down that road and if they don't respond well to a frank discussion, they are manipulative trash.

2) Sometimes I resent my life because I don't smoke or have kids. My co-workers that do can use any flimsy excuse to leave work and shove everything off on other people that stay and work. It's complete bullshit but you can't say anything. I had a co-worker that had a stay at home wife and a roommate/nanny and he left an hour into his shift because his 12 year-old had a bad dream.
Kill you are self.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Inzombiac posted:

1) Absolutely sever. I've been down that road and if they don't respond well to a frank discussion, they are manipulative trash.

2) Sometimes I resent my life because I don't smoke or have kids. My co-workers that do can use any flimsy excuse to leave work and shove everything off on other people that stay and work. It's complete bullshit but you can't say anything. I had a co-worker that had a stay at home wife and a roommate/nanny and he left an hour into his shift because his 12 year-old had a bad dream.
Kill you are self.

Speaking as someone who smokes, it drives me crazy when other smokers take extra breaks to go out for a cigarette. Keep it to your coffee/lunch breaks, if I can go a couple hours without one, so can you.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

yo rear end is grass posted:

Speaking as someone who smokes, it drives me crazy when other smokers take extra breaks to go out for a cigarette. Keep it to your coffee/lunch breaks, if I can go a couple hours without one, so can you.

loving this. I don't understand it, either.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My girlfriend just found out what "blue balls" is and doesn't believe it's a real thing.

I have been tested many times this week and it's driving me nuts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beastie posted:

My girlfriend just found out what "blue balls" is and doesn't believe it's a real thing.

I'm a man and I don't believe it's a real thing.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've been lucky enough to be offered a new job after only three weeks of unemployment but I can't enjoy the news as much as I'd like because I've got the shits

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Tiggum posted:

I'm a man and I don't believe it's a real thing.

I spent the night with a girl i really fancied shortly after she broke up with her fiancee and i thought i was going to get laid (it was fairly inferred, i was wined dined etc.) but she just wanted to go to sleep with someone beside her because she was upset and lonely.

Blue balls are absolutely a thing. Literal physical pain.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I spent the night with a girl i really fancied shortly after she broke up with her fiancee and i thought i was going to get laid (it was fairly inferred, i was wined dined etc.) but she just wanted to go to sleep with someone beside her because she was upset and lonely.

Blue balls are absolutely a thing. Literal physical pain.

No they aren't you big loving baby, and maybe as a bonus don't try to take advantage of emotionally vulnerable people.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

teamdest posted:

..maybe as a bonus don't try to take advantage of emotionally vulnerable people.

I didn't.

Are you ok?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teamdest posted:

No they aren't you big loving baby, and maybe as a bonus don't try to take advantage of emotionally vulnerable people.

Wow. Project much?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Beastie posted:

:sever:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Blue balls is for real a thing but it's sorta like girls and having a 'headache'

You need to be either wound up for HOURS or pretty much cumming then have to emergency abort for it to actually be sore tho.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

At the risk of a derail I'd like to point out how funny she thinks she's being. She's been teasing and leaving me hanging for like 5 days now. She gets me all worked up and then gets up and just acts like nothing happened.

I mean yeah it's pretty funny but at this point I'm like drat.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
The next time she initiates that's consent my man

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jeff Sichoe posted:

The next time she initiates that's consent my man

Worse, the next time she initiates, this exact post is going to run through your head.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

At the risk of a derail I'd like to point out how funny she thinks she's being. She's been teasing and leaving me hanging for like 5 days now. She gets me all worked up and then gets up and just acts like nothing happened.

Sounds like you need to seriously talk to her about this if it's irritating you this much.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beastie posted:

Reminds me of that Louis CK bit where a girl kept leading him on and expecting him to "just take it".
"Oh, I'm just going to rape you on the off chance that you're into it?!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Turns out the French can't run an airport for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Beastie posted:

Beastie posted:

Just jerk off you loving lunatic