Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ShutteredIn posted:

Allies can't die Rares in breach lord domains is really really not fun.

Yeah I got that in the physical version which is hard enough for me as it is. Made it with a couple seconds to spare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

Can anyone suggest a SRS leveling guide?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1667893

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrP1N2I-q40

basically

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Just lost one of the best goblin slayers I've ever assembled to a dumb issue that I've had for a long time and never quite figured out. Sometimes when I use whirling blades with fast attack speed, I'll whirl twice and end up basically back where I was. I don't feel like I'm double-tapping or holding down the button too long, but one way or another I dodged and then whirled back into an endless pain aura, a buzzsaw, and izaro's giant lacerate attack all at once. loving hell.

That said, I had a lot of fun designing and playing the character. Accomplished what I wanted out of a league starter and ended up way stronger than I expected a spectral throw inquisitor to. The last two days on him yielded two bringers of rain, a soul taker, and a surrender, so I guess his death is the final extremely overt signal that I should make a gladiator.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Just lost one of the best goblin slayers I've ever assembled to a dumb issue that I've had for a long time and never quite figured out. Sometimes when I use whirling blades with fast attack speed, I'll whirl twice and end up basically back where I was. I don't feel like I'm double-tapping or holding down the button too long, but one way or another I dodged and then whirled back into an endless pain aura, a buzzsaw, and izaro's giant lacerate attack all at once. loving hell.

I've had that happen with flame dash and echo shrines. I think it has something to do with the game (wild conjecture here) stores your cursors position for the movement skills target location. Like if I tried to dash to the right I'd dash to the location and then immediately right back, but if I dash'd, moved my cursor back to my character and then back to the right of the screen in that small window of time between the dashes then I'd go to the right again as opposed to back to where I started.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

I've had that happen with flame dash and echo shrines. I think it has something to do with the game (wild conjecture here) stores your cursors position for the movement skills target location. Like if I tried to dash to the right I'd dash to the location and then immediately right back, but if I dash'd, moved my cursor back to my character and then back to the right of the screen in that small window of time between the dashes then I'd go to the right again as opposed to back to where I started.

TLDR: Your cursor still thinks it's where it was when you Dashed/Whirling Blades the first time and goes back to where you were originally.

Happens to me all the loving time. Half because my internet is inconsistent poo poo and half because breaches are.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Alternately you accidentally namelocked a baddy. I think that can happen.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The challenge portal is cool and all but its so tall that I end up clicking a portal and not the map device

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Aside from Sorcerer Boots what are some good items to chance?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I believe occultist vestments are good.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Someone was talking in the guild about a Dreamfeather McFlurry Raider ... i see that Nugiyen is playing a Pathfinder version of that. Found a guide on the official forums of another streamer for the raider version.

Major difference is that Nugiyen goes all the way around to Templar and then Witch to grab the Area dmg/radius nodes, while the other guy stays with Duelist+Ranger+Shadow for phys (and chaos?) nodes.

Opinions from current Flurry users?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Levelling my first character in hardcore as a summoner - can Tashalryn get a guild invite?

stuffs fun so far - when I do inevitably RIP, anything in my stash is available to other HC characters right?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

madstrike posted:

Someone was talking in the guild about a Dreamfeather McFlurry Raider ... i see that Nugiyen is playing a Pathfinder version of that. Found a guide on the official forums of another streamer for the raider version.

Major difference is that Nugiyen goes all the way around to Templar and then Witch to grab the Area dmg/radius nodes, while the other guy stays with Duelist+Ranger+Shadow for phys (and chaos?) nodes.

Opinions from current Flurry users?

Nugi is a HC player and generally makes solid HC builds. If you're on softcore you'll probably go with a different build.

tithin posted:

Levelling my first character in hardcore as a summoner - can Tashalryn get a guild invite?

stuffs fun so far - when I do inevitably RIP, anything in my stash is available to other HC characters right?

Sent. When you die in HC, your character and all the gear it has on it + in its inventory gets moved to standard. Anything you have in your stash space stays on hc/hc temp league and will be available to new characters.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
He's also swinging all the way up to Templar and into Witch to pick up the remaining Flask nodes and Mind over Matter, while ending up with 6 jewel sockets to offset some/any damage loss of not staying around Ranger/Duelist. And he's taking as much Area Damage as he can, because he's Poison Blade Flurry, and is scaling extra damage from the application of Area Damage both to Blade Flurry's initial hit and the subsequent Poison damage.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm curious how other people usually handle the process of upgrading gear as you level.

Like, my thinking on the process (with a particular eye towards making the Normal->Cruel or Cruel-Merciless jumps) looks something like this:

It's worth spending Alchemist's & Essences on a chestpiece with a 4L;
It's worth spending a few Jeweler's/Fusings/Chromatics on a really good Rare chestpiece to get the sockets you need (but probably not items for any other slots);
It's worth crafting a Magic item out of a Normal if it has really good sockets (but probably not Alch/Essences);
It's worth crafting a Magic weapon (or spending an Essence) every 10 levels or so, if you haven't found a decent Rare with the mods you need;
It's worth crafting +Resists onto jewelry (but probably not any other slots) to patch holes in your resist caps;

'zat sound about right? I don't really know exactly how to weight certain currencies relative to others (I suspect I'm overvaluing Alch orbs, and possibly undervaluing Jeweler's/Fusings), or just how likely certain types of drops really are, so there may be some mistaken assumptions in there.

Edit: Also how do people generally go about making sure they have boots with a decent +Movespeed that still have something else useful (+Life/Resist)? Waiting for rares? Magic-crafting? Crafting benches?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 11, 2016

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Some dude didn't know how to run a Dom rush properly and was being a douche so I jus did it myself and then while doing aqueducts I dropped a lightning coil! So now my character is actually pretty awesome and ready for maps!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm curious how other people usually handle the process of upgrading gear as you level.

Like, my thinking on the process (with a particular eye towards making the Normal->Cruel or Cruel-Merciless jumps) looks something like this:

It's worth spending Alchemist's & Essences on a chestpiece with a 4L;
It's worth spending a few Jeweler's/Fusings/Chromatics on a really good Rare chestpiece to get the sockets you need (but probably not items for any other slots);
It's worth crafting a Magic item out of a Normal if it has really good sockets (but probably not Alch/Essences);
It's worth crafting a Magic weapon (or spending an Essence) every 10 levels or so, if you haven't found a decent Rare with the mods you need;
It's worth crafting +Resists onto jewelry (but probably not any other slots) to patch holes in your resist caps;

'zat sound about right? I don't really know exactly how to weight certain currencies relative to others (I suspect I'm overvaluing Alch orbs, and possibly undervaluing Jeweler's/Fusings), or just how likely certain types of drops really are, so there may be some mistaken assumptions in there.

Edit: Also how do people generally go about making sure they have boots with a decent +Movespeed that still have something else useful (+Life/Resist)? Waiting for rares? Magic-crafting? Crafting benches?

You can get to Merc without spending any fuses or jewellers if you throw low level essences at white 4links. I wouldn't be too conservative with them, because with the nerfed essence spawn rates and elimination of the lowest tiers from spawning in higher level content, you won't really be trading them up anyway.

I wouldn't waste too much on 4l chests, because as soon as you get to ~55+ you can just buy a white 5link chest on poe.trade for 1c and then roll it.

Transmuting to make magic items isn't generally that useful, because you'd end up wasting a pile of alts on it to get anything good - better to just buy items you need like levelling uniques or raid the guild stash.

For boots you take what drops and fill in the gaps with crafting benches. Crafting +resists on master benches isn't limited to jewellery - it's pretty cheap and you can afford to use them as needed. Transmutes and augments are not worth much.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The important thing is to Vaal Orb every strongbox and expensive unique item you come across. No guts no glory. :unsmigghh:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone got a good arc witch build?(With freeze arc being the endgoal, don't really care if it's normal cast, totem, trap, etc) that's a bit tankier than the one I'm doing currently? Just feel like a mild breeze knocks me over, compared to the witch I started with that went the ES route.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951 currently running this one, 38 points in.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 11, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I want to do a cyclone build. One gimmick I'm really interested in is using Empire's Grasp to suck everything into my cyclone. How does that work, exactly?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You'd probably want to go critical staves with the blunt trauma node but it seems pretty gimmicky since most of the time things are just gonna die before they get sucked one way or the other. And for the other times there is vaal cyclone.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What do you do with people who just idle in your hideout for 5 minutes after trading?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jusupov posted:

What do you do with people who just idle in your hideout for 5 minutes after trading?

Ignore them?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
As long as they aren't in your party they can't do poo poo besides access their stashes.

vvv Only party members can enter portals that aren't their own.

BTW, if you're super paranoid about people stealing your poo poo during trades, barricade your portal device/Zana with hideout decorations

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 11, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They can enter your map portals cant they

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Just build poo poo around them anyway, it's a giggle innit?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
There's also a party option that makes portals your unavailable even for other party members.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Thanks, this is all really helpful.

For boots, do you mean generally you generally wait for Rares that drop w/ Movespeed? I ask mostly because boots without +Move seem pretty worthless, and adding 8-12% with the crafting bench feels downright anemic compared to 20% or higher...

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks, this is all really helpful.

For boots, do you mean generally you generally wait for Rares that drop w/ Movespeed? I ask mostly because boots without +Move seem pretty worthless, and adding 8-12% with the crafting bench feels downright anemic compared to 20% or higher...

Always wear whichever pair of boots has the highest movement speed. Even if the other stats are bad. Even if you have to get more STR/DEX/INT on jewelry to equip them. Movement speed is the most important stat on boots by a long shot.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So I'm fairly new to the game and I'm ~2/3rds of the way through Act 2 on cruel. I need some advice on where to spec going forwards. I'm not following any official builds or anything, just been trying to pump up arc damage and speed as well as life and resistance. My clear speed seems pretty good, most groups utterly melt to arc and HoT, and I'm not too squishy. What nodes should I grab next?

passive skill tree

No idea how to link my character's gear

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any reason I shouldn't start taking prophecies as soon as I hit Merciless, or should I wait for some other point?

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Any reason I shouldn't start taking prophecies as soon as I hit Merciless, or should I wait for some other point?

You can start right away.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Other than Empower, which I don't have yet this early in the league, what is the best 5th Essence Drain link after Controlled Destruction, Void Manipulation, and Abrupt Decay?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
slower proj or pierce

pierce is less damage but massive QOL

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

quote:

Rarity: Unique
The Consuming Dark
Fiend Dagger
--------
Dagger
Physical Damage: 19-76
Critical Strike Chance: 7.00%
Attacks per Second: 1.20
Weapon Range: 8
--------
Requirements:
Level: 53
Dex: 58
Int: 123
--------
Sockets: G-B
--------
Item Level: 67
--------
60% increased Global Critical Strike Chance
--------
+1 to Level of Socketed Fire Gems
47% increased Spell Damage
+27 to Intelligence
30% of Fire Damage Converted to Chaos Damage
Your Chaos Damage Poisons Enemies
--------
The brightest flames cast the darkest shadows.

I got this the other day. No idea what it goes for but if anyone wants it you can have for like half the market value because I checked how people sell items in this game and holy poo poo why is it so complex

Edit: Can take an screenshot of it I suppose, but copying and pasting was easier :v:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Azran posted:

I got this the other day. No idea what it goes for but if anyone wants it you can have for like half the market value because I checked how people sell items in this game and holy poo poo why is it so complex

Edit: Can take an screenshot of it I suppose, but copying and pasting was easier :v:

It might seem like it but it's really not. Everyone got a premium stash tab that lets you drop items in there and set a price. People will usually message you and say "I'd like to buy x for y(listed) cost", you invite them to your party and trade. It literally takes around a minute to go through the entire process.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So I'm fairly new to the game and I'm ~2/3rds of the way through Act 2 on cruel. I need some advice on where to spec going forwards. I'm not following any official builds or anything, just been trying to pump up arc damage and speed as well as life and resistance. My clear speed seems pretty good, most groups utterly melt to arc and HoT, and I'm not too squishy. What nodes should I grab next?

passive skill tree

No idea how to link my character's gear

I have added 26 points to the tree you have right now: http://poeurl.com/Vga . This will give you good bit of life and spell critical chance/multiplier, aswell as a bit of elemental damage, spell damage and cast speed. You should also try to get your lab trials done for each difficulty as you get there, and then ascend to one of the three witch subclasses. All three are somewhat viable for Arc, but I would say elementalist is much easier for a new player than occultist or necromancer.

E: To show your character's gear, use https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/YOUR_ACCOUNTNAME_HERE/characters . Before anyone can see it, you must change your profile to public in the website privacy settings, however.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Azran posted:

The relevant stat on these is increased spell damage, which ranges from 40% to 60%. Judging by what's available online in Breach softcore right now, it looks like you could sell it relatively quickly for 9-10c. To illustrate how much more you could ask for good or perfect rolls, there's a 60% consuming dark that also has a perfect intelligence roll (40) that is listed for 30c.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So I ripped like a dumbass again, but I've amassed a decent amount of chaos. What's a fun build for me to try?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wezlar posted:

So I ripped like a dumbass again, but I've amassed a decent amount of chaos. What's a fun build for me to try?

Inquisitor flameblast totems, chieftain warchief totems, assassin blade flurry, occultist essence drain, juggernaut earthquake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wezlar posted:

Raider with the new fire axe cyclone, Chieftain with the new firebow

• Locked thread