Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think it's actually difference between their opinion of you and their opinion of their liege. At least, that'd make the most sense in that context which, as far as I know, is the only one it's used in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Three hundred and sixty four years in the making, the mighty Empire of Burgundia Bordergoriensis, domain of the House of Habsburg.

Sadly Great Moravia was created at one point for some reason, and it being active blocks the creation of Kingdom of Bohemia. Had to brute force my custom empire through realm size.

Tips for Custom Empires: start as a child, then make everyone a tributary.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

binge crotching posted:

I'd have to pull from github again to double check, but I don't remember anything specifically wrong with the code. It should be possible to simply uncomment the decision and then let it be used. decisions/university_decisions.txt.

Ofaloaf posted:

I honestly can't remember much about it, but something wasn't right about it, so it was disabled, and then disappeared into the abyss of commented-out script.
What a shame. Don't really know much about under the hood stuff sadly, so I wouldn't be able to help with it either.

Alas.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jesus christ

is the national motto "kill me"?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Three hundred and sixty four years in the making, the mighty Empire of Burgundia Bordergoriensis, domain of the House of Habsburg.

*begins violently heaving*

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am the Welsh Papacy GWYGWNWGWHNWMWYTW!!!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sadly Great Moravia was created at one point for some reason, and it being active blocks the creation of Kingdom of Bohemia. Had to brute force my custom empire through realm size.

Tips for Custom Empires: start as a child, then make everyone a tributary.

NMS that, friend

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Is this where we post ugly borders? Because holy poo poo, this game has been a thing.

Germany/Bavaria used to be united as West Francia, but Bavaria revolted during which both Germany and Bavaria had their own revolts fire about halfway through the original revolt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CaptCommy posted:

Is this where we post ugly borders? Because holy poo poo, this game has been a thing.

Germany/Bavaria used to be united as West Francia, but Bavaria revolted during which both Germany and Bavaria had their own revolts fire about halfway through the original revolt.

CharlemagneDied.jpg

Still never seen the AI make the holy Roman empire even though I've seen him get Italy two or three times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Same, though he's done Francia plenty of times.

Tbh, I don't really see why you'd want to do it either. Give up a buncha land to the pope, all those requirements...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've seen Francia a couple times too. Still be cool to see him make the HRE. I think it's the pope opinion requirement that the AI can't get over.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I've seen Francia a couple times too. Still be cool to see him make the HRE. I think it's the pope opinion requirement that the AI can't get over.

That requirement was waved for the AI.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

Aragon is on the wrong side of the Pyrenees.

Automated Posting fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 10, 2016

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Pakled posted:

I think it's actually difference between their opinion of you and their opinion of their liege. At least, that'd make the most sense in that context which, as far as I know, is the only one it's used in.

yeah my bad, it's actually "opinion difference between [me] and [prisoner's liege] at least -25"

I'm assuming that means "prisoner's opinion of me must be at least 25 more than his opinion of his liege".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Invaded London while they were rebelling against the King of Wessex. Also they had measles which I caught. My physician, a pirate named "Sea Devil" cured me but I died shortly thereafter after in battle. Mutilated and covered in poo poo. Vikings!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Automated Posting posted:

Aragon is on the wrong side of Pyrenees.

The Umayyad owned all of that land (which used to be mine!) but the first crusade went surprisingly well and took that chunk back. It also created Aragon out of thin air from what I can tell, I don't really understand how that works (or crusades in general).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Start in the old gods date and the HRE gets created almost every time. Actually like it a lot more than the Charlie date because everything ends up more historical in general. And the Magyars get crazy event armies but don't always go for Pannonia, in my last game they went north and took Kiev and became some sort of weird hungarorussia

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My current game I started in 1066 in Galicia but created and handed out all the HRE's kingdom titles and then destroyed the HRE before starting, and love the results. France got huge in the first ~80 years before one terrible king imploded it, and Germany and Burgundy have been going back and forth over the eastern half of former France ever since, while Bulgaria has eaten half of Italy. Fun times.

It's actually a lot of fun focusing most of my attention on spreading my dynasty all over the world by micromanaging marriages while maintaining a small kingdom consisting of nothing but my own nice strong demesne and some surrounding vassal counts. Enough troops that no one wants to pick a fight with me and sometimes I'll attack some random duke/king 400 miles away just to press some guy's claim that I got into my court and matrimarried to my niece or whatever. I don't get the land but that's fine, I don't want the land, just sowing my dynasty around.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 11, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

CharlemagneDied.jpg

Still never seen the AI make the holy Roman empire even though I've seen him get Italy two or three times.

I've seen it happen once, way back close to when Charlemagne first came out. Have never seen it again.

What often seems to happen is that even if the AI does go for Italy (which is a total crapshoot and tends to rely entirely on the event with his wife. If she goes anywhere other than Italy, no HRE that game), he tends to die and the kingdom splits up thanks to Gavelkind before he actually finishes pressing the claim. Once the kingdom splits it's never going to recover just because the AI isn't aggressive enough for any of the Karling siblings to retake all the territory they'll have claims on within a lifetime. Sometimes Charlemagne forms the empire of Francia and prevents the split up on succession, but then they typically won't go for Italy at that point.

On a somewhat tangentially related note, I think it would be kind of cool to have an expansion focused on the HRE - give it special mechanics where if certain laws are passed it ends up kind of like EU4 where it becomes a weird coalition of more or less independent duchies and kingdoms, with a titular "emperor" that has his own succession mechanics involving the Papacy and special electors.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's actually a lot of fun focusing most of my attention on spreading my dynasty all over the world by micromanaging marriages while maintaining a small kingdom consisting of nothing but my own nice strong demesne and some surrounding vassal counts. Enough troops that no one wants to pick a fight with me and sometimes I'll attack some random duke/king 400 miles away just to press some guy's claim that I got into my court and matrimarried to my niece or whatever. I don't get the land but that's fine, I don't want the land, just sowing my dynasty around.
That's why I usually end up doing, as I get tired of microing a huge empire and dealing with internal threats.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

On a somewhat tangentially related note, I think it would be kind of cool to have an expansion focused on the HRE - give it special mechanics where if certain laws are passed it ends up kind of like EU4 where it becomes a weird coalition of more or less independent duchies and kingdoms, with a titular "emperor" that has his own succession mechanics involving the Papacy and special electors.
Honestly, I'd love to have just more laws, both in realm and succession. I still want a will mechanic and to be able to, you know, actually see who inherits what and maybe fiddle around with it in gavelkind, see each and every successor in seniority, see in a clear and nice manner who supports whom in elective/tanistry (and maybe even why/be able to influence it!)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a bug where your heir will suddenly change without warning for zero reason? I got a message saying "You have a new heir!" and so I figured my carefully-groomed successor had died--but no, he's still there. This is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind.

I had a similar instance earlier where my husband was no longer my Marshal. Thought he was dead, but no, just decided to retire for some reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did he decide to run off and join a monastery?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
One thing I've learned about pressing claims: you get extra warscore for taking control of the actual land in dispute (or its capital), but if you want the guy whose claim you're pressing to actually keep the land after you and your 10,000 closest friends leave, you actually want to win the war WITHOUT sieging down the disputed province(s) if you can. Because if you siege them down then as soon as the war ends your freshly installed claimant has no troops. This is why that thing so frequently happens where you press someone's claim on a duchy or kingdom and then the very next day he instantly folds to a faction demand for some other jackass: because after all the sieging he has like 17 troops and the faction outnumbers him by 2300%.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's why I usually end up doing, as I get tired of microing a huge empire and dealing with internal threats.
Honestly, I'd love to have just more laws, both in realm and succession. I still want a will mechanic and to be able to, you know, actually see who inherits what and maybe fiddle around with it in gavelkind, see each and every successor in seniority, see in a clear and nice manner who supports whom in elective/tanistry (and maybe even why/be able to influence it!)

Some kind of will mechanic would be cool but I feel like at this point that's probably a CK3 thing. They've said they're only doing I think 2 more expansions after Reaper's Due (maybe it was 3, I don't remember), and I imagine loving around with the succession mechanics too heavily at this point probably involves digging deep into the engine.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jabor posted:

Did he decide to run off and join a monastery?

Okay, I think I figured it out. Please point out any flaws here (I'm a complete noob):

--I'm playing a Duchess.
--I made a matrilineal marriage with this random second or third son of a duke halfway across the world.
--This guy somehow inherited his original dukedom. I thought a matrilineal marriage would disqualify him? Guess not.
--I'm Gavelkind and I have two sons. So each son gets a dukedom as inheritance.
--And now my firstborn son is the heir to this random lovely dukedom instead of my awesome Flemish paradise.

I really don't get why the firstborn son suddenly became heir to the non-primary title though.

e: My duchess is only about 47, if I race to get Primogeniture will the firstborn return to being my heir? And thus be a double-duke? That's what I would assume but...

e2: The answer is "yes", but I only found that out because somebody waxed my firstborn

I worked hard on that kid :negative:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 11, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm also having succession problems, but it's more or less academic.

I'm the Doge of Ireland, and my half-brother is my designated heir. I have no of-age sons yet, and my succession keeps randomly switching from working as intended, to popping up "No heir of my dynasty". I also have two other half-brothers that could feasibly inherit, although one is landed and they stopped landed heirs from inheriting republics.

It's more or less academic because I'm immortal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I really don't get why the firstborn son suddenly became heir to the non-primary title though.

The other duchy probably switched to Primo, meaning that kid 1 was going to inherit it no matter what, and then Gavelkind looked at that, saw that he was already getting a duchy, and gave the other duchy to kid 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

The other duchy probably switched to Primo, meaning that kid 1 was going to inherit it no matter what, and then Gavelkind looked at that, saw that he was already getting a duchy, and gave the other duchy to kid 2.

It would be the duke's firstborn son that got it in that case though, not the first kid of the duchess he was playing (unless those two kids were with that duke - I'm not clear on that from the description).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It would be the duke's firstborn son that got it in that case though, not the first kid of the duchess he was playing (unless those two kids were with that duke - I'm not clear on that from the description).

They both were, yeah.

The succession got Real Goddamn Confusing for me because the Duke died and the kid inherited before my character (the Duchess) could die and pass on her title. So instead of the Duchy of Bumfuck ending up as part of the amazing Francian empire, the Duchy of Flanders is now part of Bulgaria?? And then I accidentally immediately declared war on my new liege and lost.

Even if I get independence from Bulgaria, I'll be an independent kingdom right on the doorstep of the Francian juggernaut. :shepicide:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The HRE got founded by 818 in my current 769 start as Amounderness (Lancaster).
This picture's from a hundred years later.

Apologies for the border-gore - I gave one of my courtiers a County about a week before he inherited two Duchies in mainland Europe.

[edit]
It's been a fairly strange game. My current King has had a 'War' focus since he turned 16 - he's now 54 and hasn't had a single event or decision for that focus fire in the whole 38 years.
In that time, literally everyone I've tried to Imprison has been captured without fail, despite a range of Success chances (one Duke was at 35%).

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's no way to say "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" if you own duchies in two different de jure kingdoms, is there?

I would have been happy to renounce my lovely Dukedom of Nowhere. But it seems to me like I'm absolutely stuck unless I march my army from Flanders across Europe to Bulgaria and win independence.

Which I was well on my way to doing when my mystic killed me so I could reincarnate and enjoy a nice long regency.

Ironman: not even once

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vengarr posted:

There's no way to say "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" if you own duchies in two different de jure kingdoms, is there?

I would have been happy to renounce my lovely Dukedom of Nowhere. But it seems to me like I'm absolutely stuck unless I march my army from Flanders across Europe to Bulgaria and win independence.

Which I was well on my way to doing when my mystic killed me so I could reincarnate and enjoy a nice long regency.

Ironman: not even once

Could you not have given the lovely duchy to someone else?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Yeah, give it to some useless relative you want to get rid of but can't be bothered killing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

kingturnip posted:

The HRE got founded by 818 in my current 769 start as Amounderness (Lancaster).
This picture's from a hundred years later.

Apologies for the border-gore - I gave one of my courtiers a County about a week before he inherited two Duchies in mainland Europe.

Dude, NMS that poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

RagnarokAngel posted:

Dude, NMS that poo poo.

Say what you will about how ugly it is, but that poo poo is GREAT if you're playing as Umayyad. Just one Invasion cb after another until all of Western Europe is yours

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Finally got more than 50 years into a game. It's about 1250, and as King of Castille, Leon, Galcia, Navarre and probably other stuff I'm forgetting, I formed the Empire of Castille. Should I hang out king titles, wait until I can stack the council enough to allow me to vote in viceroyalties, or hang on to the kingdom titles myself?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Technowolf posted:

I couldnt test it because of ironman. But I think I still would be a vassal of the King of Bulgaria because my heir inherited his Bulgarian duchy prior to inheriting his French one.

A Bulgarian rump state in Belgium.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I couldnt test it because of ironman. But I think I still would be a vassal of the King of Bulgaria because my heir inherited his Bulgarian duchy prior to inheriting his French one.

A Bulgarian rump state in Belgium.

Guess it's time to brush up on your Bulgarian.

Either that or off the entire Bulgarian line of succession so the kingdom dissolves.

I think that's how it works.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Guess it's time to brush up on your Bulgarian.

Either that or off the entire Bulgarian line of succession so the kingdom dissolves.

I think that's how it works.

A foolproof method that is count-tested and duke-approved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Is there some reason I don't have any Advisor slots as an Emperor, or could it be because I've avoided Empowering the Council?

• Locked thread