Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Sith Founders? I suppose it would appeal to the ~Dark Enlightenment~ in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Forces of Destiny could be the name of any of the innumerable Star Wars products that Lucasfilm will conjur up.

There's another rumor stating the title will have the initial "TSF". The Sins of Fathers?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telos_Security_Force

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The Sith Founders? I suppose it would appeal to the ~Dark Enlightenment~ in this day and age.

To defeat Rey, Kylo searches for the legendary Sith Holocron that proves that women cannot wield the Force.

Concept art of Kylo summoning the spirit of past Siths.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 11, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
people like to ignore the 2,000 other words and phrases that disney gobbled up for star wars

a new merch push is imminent

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

To defeat Rey, Kylo searches for the legendary Sith Holocron that proves that women cannot wield the Force.

Concept art of Kylo summoning the spirit of past Siths.

*disappears in a puff of logic*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm gonna see rogue one next sunday and am very excited.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

The MSJ posted:

The Sins of Fathers?

Finally, the Star Wars and Metal Gear crossover I've been waiting for

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Friendly Factory posted:

Midichlorians, son!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just realized that "The Sins of Fathers" is a great title to troll the people complaining that feminists are ruining their Star Wars.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Rogue One premiere was today so uh avoid the internets if you don't want to be spoiled I guess? As expected the people at the premiere loved it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Friendly Factory posted:

"It's just like one of my neimoidian holoshows!"

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The MSJ posted:

There's another rumor stating the title will have the initial "TSF". The Sins of Fathers?

*Reaches into big bag of well-trod actiony words.*

The Shadow of Fate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Wars: Episode VIII: Chunks of Freedom

Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Slippery Cliff

Star Wars: Episode VIII: In The Heat of the Moment

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Trust of the Jump

Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Tree 'O Plenty

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Diorama of Crumbs

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Cave of the Moth

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Heroes Take Flight

Star Wars: Episode VIII: Seeds of Confusion

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stick around after Rogue One for a stinger trailer of Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Miraculous Primp.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Some conversations Pablo Hidalgo just had on Twitter (Pablo's answers bolded):

quote:

Tweet_Fan ‏@Tweet_Fan2
@pablohidalgo You said he made a treatment only for 7 but GL he said he did treatments for 7,8 and 9 so what happened to the other 2?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo
@Tweet_Fan2 it was a single brief treatment without any strong delineation for breaks.

quote:

Halfshell25 ‏@HalfshellSeacon
@pablohidalgo Were pirates the villains in George's ep 7 treatment? I think there are pirates in some of the earliest concept art.

@HalfshellSeacon there were pirates in there, but I won't go into it beyond that.

quote:

Halfshell25 ‏@HalfshellSeacon
@pablohidalgo Is most of ep 7 is like George's treatment, or are there allot of differences?

@HalfshellSeacon it's different but you can see the evolution. Sort of like reading the 13-page 1973 Star Wars treatment.

quote:

Stumpy Hobbit ‏@StumpyHobbit
@pablohidalgo Was Snoke a George Lucas creation,or did he come later? Cheers SH.

@StumpyHobbit Snoke evolved out of a character in the treatment, so, kinda.

Tweet_Fan ‏@Tweet_Fan2
@pablohidalgo @StumpyHobbit Was the Jedi killer part of it?

@Tweet_Fan2 @StumpyHobbit in a sense. It evolved out of another character.

Star Wars Liker ‏@StarWarsLiker
@pablohidalgo what about the first order?

@StarWarsLiker not as much; that was more JJ and Larry.

Sunbeneathesea ‏@SunBeneathSea1
@pablohidalgo Was "Rose" or Maz a JJ idea?

@SunBeneathSea1 yep. Based on an old school teacher

Sunbeneathesea ‏@SunBeneathSea1
@pablohidalgo was Lando or Wedge ever considered for Force Awakens?

@SunBeneathSea1 not for Lando; Denis Lawson declined participating in the production.

Seems to track with a lot of the rumors and things people have put together, i.e. that the new villains in Lucas's treatment were some kind of dark side cult which venerated Darth Vader. That could be where the character came from whom Snoke "evolved" out of. Ditto for the "Jedi Killer" who became Kylo Ren.

Especially interesting is that bit about the First Order being "more JJ and Larry." As ever, it really seems doubtful that Lucas was interested in bringing back the Empire in any way, shape, or form.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The first order are some kinda milquetoast nazis who are at the same time both extremely effective and totally inept.
They look too much like props.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wild Horses posted:

The first order are some kinda milquetoast nazis who are at the same time both extremely effective and totally inept.

So like the real Nazis?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
So of the three things I hated most about TFA (Snoke, Maz, First Order), 2/3 were JJ ideas. Great.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How was the set design in TFA so boring? By far my favorite technical aspect of I-VI are the vivid and distinctly realized set pieces. I guess without McQuarrie or Lucas they're a bit lost. A lot has been made in this thread about how unimaginative the ship designs were (which is true), but the blandness of the sets really stands out as the most underwhelming technical aspect. Every aspect of Takodana was just awful.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

So of the three things I hated most about TFA (Snoke, Maz, First Order), 2/3 were JJ ideas. Great.

The biggest problem with Maz is that she's completely superfluous. TFA already had a spiritual mentor character for Rey, and his name was Han Solo. Like many things, TFA teased something promising with Han Solo's "It's real. All of it" speech and then just dropped the ball by not committing to something that could have actually been new and interesting. Apart from being an obvious attempt to recapture the success Yoda had as a character, Maz is only there to be a non-Jedi character who can deliver Anakin's lightsaber to Rey, open up her mind to the Force, and guide Rey onto the Jedi path while saying vaguely spiritual things. Why couldn't Han Solo have done all those things? It's the most natural fit in the universe. You could even mention how Han learned many of these things over the years from Leia, who of course should by all rights have been a full Jedi in this movie, as was promised by ROTJ.

Take out Maz and beef up Han Solo's role in turn, and you solve two problems in one go: A) Rey's unconvincing intense emotional attachment to Han Solo and B) Han's disappointing character regression from the end of the OT. The problem with all this is that it would have required Abrams and Kasdan to figure out how to write and present OT characters in a largely new and unfamiliar way, something which they either have no idea how to do or simply weren't interested in doing for whatever reason.

As a side note, the most interesting TFA-connected tidbit about non-Jedi Force traditions--the Church of the Force which Lor San Tekka is mentioned in ancillary materials as belonging to--came from Lucas's unproduced live action Star Wars TV series scripts, where it was to be a major plot point.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 11, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God I want to read those scripts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

How was the set design in TFA so boring? By far my favorite technical aspect of I-VI are the vivid and distinctly realized set pieces. I guess without McQuarrie or Lucas they're a bit lost. A lot has been made in this thread about how unimaginative the ship designs were (which is true), but the blandness of the sets really stands out as the most underwhelming technical aspect. Every aspect of Takodana was just awful.

I think part of it was the location shooting too. Look at how many exteriors in the I-VI are themselves sets or CG and heavily stylized. Almost everything in Force Awakens is very flat compared to how the Death Star had huge towers and pits in it, the urban area they chase the shapeshifting assassin into in Attack of the Clones, etc. Plus I know it's a CG show so it's basically cheating but the Clone Wars show also made sure to always had this really heavy emphasis on vertical space, everything felt vast even if it didn't necessarily look "alien" and really helped a lot.

The strongest locations in Force Awakens for me were the star destroyer wrecks in the first third (both while Rey is spelunking and during the dogfight later) and the bridge where Han and Ren meet because they create that sort of hugeness around the characters again. Like when they're escaping Maz' club and a battle breaks out, we're on this dense forest swamp planet but somehow the entire fight takes place in this flat rocky area with some ruins of Maz' place instead. It just looks a bit half-assed. Max Von Sydow's camp or whatever also looked really bad like that. Dagobah was a set but it was so lavishly dense that it didn't matter that it was a set and it was built around giving the impression of hugeness, like the roots of those trees are huge. When Ren captures Rey shortly after they're in the woods and the lighting and everything kind of comes together again, you could look at those brief moments compared to other points in I-VI and know that that's Takodana and not Endor's moon or Dagobah.

So I don't really mind the ships and bases being bland on the inside because hey they look like Star Wars, but the exteriors kind of let me down.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 11, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

The biggest problem with Maz is that she's completely superfluous. TFA already had a spiritual mentor character for Rey, and his name was Han Solo. Like many things, TFA teased something promising with Han Solo's "It's real. All of it" speech and then just dropped the ball by not committing to something that could have actually been new and interesting. Apart from being an obvious attempt to recapture the success Yoda had as a character, Maz is only there to be a non-Jedi character who can deliver Anakin's lightsaber to Rey, open up her mind to the Force, and guide Rey onto the Jedi path while saying vaguely spiritual things. Why couldn't Han Solo have done all those things? It's the most natural fit in the universe. You could even mention how Han learned many of these things over the years from Leia, who of course should by all rights have been a full Jedi in this movie, as was promised by ROTJ.

Take out Maz and beef up Han Solo's role in turn, and you solve two problems in one go: A) Rey's unconvincing intense emotional attachment to Han Solo and B) Han's disappointing character regression from the end of the OT. The problem with all this is that it would have required Abrams and Kasdan to figure out how to write and present OT characters in a largely new and unfamiliar way, something which they either have no idea how to do or simply weren't interested in doing for whatever reason.

As a side note, the most interesting TFA-connected tidbit about non-Jedi Force traditions--the Church of the Force which Lor San Tekka is mentioned in ancillary materials as belonging to--came from Lucas's unproduced live action Star Wars TV series scripts, where it was to be a major plot point.

confirmed: thread retards just don't like star wars

see:

doesn't like Rey, Han Solo, TFA or the OT in general. Just wants the prequels again

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

the bridge where Han and Ren meet because they create that sort of hugeness around the characters again.

Even this was basically just a mish-mash of the A New Hope hanger and the Cloud City catwalk. Even the detailing on the wall is supposed to evoke Cloud City. It's like a multiplayer map from some Star Wars game from 1998 where they just recycled assets from a previous concept.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

confirmed: thread retards just don't like star wars

see:

doesn't like Rey, Han Solo, TFA or the OT in general. Just wants the prequels again

Christ, is no one allowed to criticize TFA? Are you so insecure in your opinions that mild criticism causes you yet again throw out ableist slurs?

i don't think you're a troll, or one of Tezzor's alt accounts, but it's so baffling to me that you continue to act so abrasive to people in itt who, for most part, have not insulted your opinions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Christ, is no one allowed to criticize TFA? Are you so insecure in your opinions that mild criticism causes you yet again throw out ableist slurs?

i don't think you're a troll, or one of Tezzor's alt accounts, but it's so baffling to me that you continue to act so abrasive to people in itt who, for most part, have not insulted your opinions.

well you see the prequels are the highest artform in the world, and youre wrong, because I make a lenghty post with weak logical leaps

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Phi230 posted:

well you see the prequels are the highest artform in the world, and youre wrong, because I make a lenghty post with weak logical leaps

Calling people retards and implying you have a real counterargument ('weak logical leaps') but not actually providing one, isn't very convincing. Would you care to elaborate?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Why don't you explain how Maz is not a derivative rip-off of Yoda instead of just vomiting all over this thread. The stage is yours.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

Calling people retards and implying you have a real counterargument ('weak logical leaps') but not actually providing one, isn't very convincing. Would you care to elaborate?

ur wrong and I'm right Q.E.D

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

Even this was basically just a mish-mash of the A New Hope hanger and the Cloud City catwalk. Even the detailing on the wall is supposed to evoke Cloud City. It's like a multiplayer map from some Star Wars game from 1998 where they just recycled assets from a previous concept.

The part where it's a mirrored copy of Snoke's room also fizzles. The basic idea is that Han is the 'good father' projected/illuminated by the light of Rey and FN.

Like Snoke's room, the lighting is weak and the direction is flat, because Abrams is overwhelmingly focussed on the conceptual lighting, moreso than on strong compositions and/or imagery.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

But "Han should have been given more to do" -> "I don't like Han" is a strong logical leap?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The part where it's a mirrored copy of Snoke's room also fizzles. The basic idea is that Han is the 'good father' projected/illuminated by the light of Rey and FN.

Like Snoke's room, the lighting is weak and the direction is flat, because Abrams is overwhelmingly focussed on the conceptual lighting, moreso than on strong compositions and/or imagery.

So you're saying the imagery where Ren's face is half blue/red, and turns full red as the sky darkens, symbolizing his complete fall to the Dark Side, is stupid and bad because its not the prequels ok cool

notice how you criticize the OT and TFA but the prequels are untouchable, bias exposed

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

So you're saying the imagery where Ren's face is half blue/red, and turns full red as the sky darkens, symbolizing his complete fall to the Dark Side, is stupid and bad because its not the prequels ok cool

notice how you criticize the OT and TFA but the prequels are untouchable, bias exposed

No he's saying the shot is composed to look like something ripped off DeviantArt.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the shot where Anakin yells "now this is podracing" should've won an oscar IMO

it was so moving, the lighting was so beautiful, the composition so excellent

made by a true mastercraftsman, and performed by an expert actor

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
star wars? yeh i saw that movie

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

same

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

yeah i heard that movie is filled with characters who can actually back up their beliefs and opinions. crazy, huh?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

yeah i heard that movie is filled with characters who can actually back up their beliefs and opinions. crazy, huh?

lol expecting star wars to be an arthouse film, nerd

we would avoid all these problems if weirdos like SMG/Cnut/you didn't deify star wars but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
This is a film as good, if not superior to The Empire Strikes Back which was too male oriented and macho heavy. This film brings more balance to the franchise with another delightful female heroine who proves that the ladies are every bit as tough as the men - if not more so.

This engaging and exciting film will have men around the world showing new respect for the capabilities of the female gender.

The visual aspects: stunning imagery make this episode the prettiest since Empire Strikes Back - no mean feat considering how beautiful Empire looks. A film as elegant and admirable as its protagonist, for sure.

Thank goodness that women have a high profile in the Star Wars franchise nowadays - I am looking forward to seeing many more female imperial officers and stormtroopers in future episodes.

• Locked thread