Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'm not really interested in GGG, sadly. I'm not that much of a Gundam nerd, so most of the fan service over early UC would fly right by me. And then I found out about the sort of crazy poo poo that the crossover based G-Gen games get up to. Like that time Girhen Zabi got his hands on future MS tech and built his own MP Turn types. That sounds loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohmygod, Minifée. I remember that from Quebec tv during my childhood.

Also featured in Giant Robo: The Animation :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

I'm not really interested in GGG, sadly. I'm not that much of a Gundam nerd, so most of the fan service over early UC would fly right by me. And then I found out about the sort of crazy poo poo that the crossover based G-Gen games get up to. Like that time Girhen Zabi got his hands on future MS tech and built his own MP Turn types. That sounds loving amazing.

They haven't done a full crossover G Gen in almost a decade unfortunately. At best they do a crossover level or two in otherwise straight adaptations.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Little Witching Mischief had some gameplay changes which makes it a bit different from a straight 1-1 reskin. Also had recycled enemy models from the Pandemonium series.

It's still kinda odd that "Super Magical Girls Wars" concept hasn't been tried since and it wasn't even an in-house Japanese game, just a bizarre outsourcing attempt. Even Tokusatsu had Super Hero Generations as a recent effort.

Or maybe it's because there isn't enough series under one branch to make licensing easy like how Bamco can just grab several Gundams at no effort?

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've been watching Patlabor lately and I'm really surprised it's not better represented in the series. Is it not terribly popular, or is a bunch of cops whose ultimate weapon is a robot-sized revolved not really flashy enough for SRW?
I don't really know about its popularity - there has been some really obscure stuff whose popularity is entirely forged from being an SRW Entry but I assume Patlabor's not that low on the totem pole. Not Gundam, but not Zeorymer either.

Don't really think it's the "power level" either because stats are extremely malleable and follow "narrative logic" rather than simulation logic given that things like VOTOMs is in with no issue.

There was actually an interview that supposedly stated that Patlabor was thrown around to show up in Z3 - they ended up not using that idea. In retrospect, given Z3's reception and the fact that the storyline went into galaxy universal threats tier, Patlabor would certainly be a complete wrong fit - perhaps it might have faired better in Z2 and then received "oldcomer to the series" privileges but on the flipside, they put it into OE instead, which had its own share of problems.

The Labors design gameplay wise was interesting in OE - they were basically Supportive Debuffers but eventually gained Combo attacks that you can use to take on bosses. I think that's a pretty good handling of the concept but I'm not sure how well it would translate to mainline SRW given the general wussiness of grunts nowadays and bosses often just having debuff immunities.

Not that they don't have implementation issues in OE but it's mostly a systematic thing - because they support through landing debuffs instead of Repair/Resupply and have issues actually killing units, it was too difficult to actually raise them to the levels where they needed to be competitive because of OE's dumb level Hit/Evasion scaling system so they ended up being very grindy units... which is kind of wrong for Support units.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Davzz posted:

It's still kinda odd that "Super Magical Girls Wars" concept hasn't been tried since and it wasn't even an in-house Japanese game, just a bizarre outsourcing attempt. Even Tokusatsu had Super Hero Generations as a recent effort.

It absolutely has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3l_-f5pI4o

It just wasn't very good. I also imagine collecting licenses for it is a loving nightmare.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I know that game exists but it's not really the same concept IMO even if you stretch the concept of "Magical Girls" loosely.

Magical Battle Arena is more like what I'm thinking of - that's Doujin and not commercial though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The digital version of FMW1 is 50% off for a while.

I don't think the digital version is compatible with the english patch though, so you'll have to get a previous version's files or read the LP if you want to know what people are saying.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Cool Genesis tip: for the final Igloo stage make sure to have some units at the top of the map just to the left of the target area when you get the Jotunheim there. 3 battleships that you need to keep alive spawn there with extremely low health and if you do the special condition then 3 Guncannons spawn and are able to attack them right away and holy poo poo I had to sit there for an hour reloading quicksaves until they finally didn't die and that was using SFS units to try and distract the Guncannons and regular reinforcements. It was awful.

So, going back a week. Funny story.

Turns out you can skip the entire second half of the stage if you kill everything on it (including the battleships that come after Big Rang) before moving Jotunheim to the target point. I just did this accidentally while playing with Dendrobium, since I'd just gotten it, and trying to feed some of my other recent acquisitions XP. I figured I'd empty it out, then move onto the point.

That was a surprise.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm going to be streaming G Gen Genesis starting tonight if anyone wants to hang.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
So I take it that abusing Zeal and zipping across the map destroying everything in sight with the SRX is the recommended way to get through the Alpha 3 Endgame? Because post movement MAPs are ridiculous... Ryusei went from barely being an ace to being my second highest killer in like 5 stages, this is nuts.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Either that, or send up the Ideon and let it handle the stage.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Logicblade posted:

So I take it that abusing Zeal and zipping across the map destroying everything in sight with the SRX is the recommended way to get through the Alpha 3 Endgame?
If you have Selena as MC, you can use her too!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Logicblade posted:

So I take it that abusing Zeal and zipping across the map destroying everything in sight with the SRX is the recommended way to get through the Alpha 3 Endgame? Because post movement MAPs are ridiculous... Ryusei went from barely being an ace to being my second highest killer in like 5 stages, this is nuts.

This is how I discovered the 400 point cap on ability scores. By the end of the game I called the SRX the Problem Solver.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Super Magical Girl Wars nto being a thing is a combination of licensing - Toei would get you PreCure and Sailor Moon, and obviously the Symphogear guys are willing to play ball, but then you'd have to scour high and low for the rest to fill up a roster - and just not seeing a market for it. The kind of otaku that are into giant robots probably aren't also into magical girls, and 4 year old girls probably don't play much strategy RPGs, is probably the logic they're using.

I think it could work if you went with a few nostalgia bait series (Read: Sailor Moon), a couple of precure, and then filled the rest of the roster with shows that weren't really aimed at kids, like Symphogear, Madoka, Yuuki Yuuna, etc.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Prism posted:

So, going back a week. Funny story.

Turns out you can skip the entire second half of the stage if you kill everything on it (including the battleships that come after Big Rang) before moving Jotunheim to the target point. I just did this accidentally while playing with Dendrobium, since I'd just gotten it, and trying to feed some of my other recent acquisitions XP. I figured I'd empty it out, then move onto the point.

That was a surprise.

Speaking of skipping things: once you've completed a stage you can mash start to skip straight to the part where you get to deploy your guys!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I think Super Magical Girl Wars nto being a thing is a combination of licensing - Toei would get you PreCure and Sailor Moon, and obviously the Symphogear guys are willing to play ball, but then you'd have to scour high and low for the rest to fill up a roster - and just not seeing a market for it. The kind of otaku that are into giant robots probably aren't also into magical girls, and 4 year old girls probably don't play much strategy RPGs, is probably the logic they're using.

I think it could work if you went with a few nostalgia bait series (Read: Sailor Moon), a couple of precure, and then filled the rest of the roster with shows that weren't really aimed at kids, like Symphogear, Madoka, Yuuki Yuuna, etc.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is directly inspired by Super Robot Wars, no way you could leave it out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is directly inspired by Super Robot Wars, no way you could leave it out.
that'd be the etc!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I'm curious, has there ever been any official RahXephon merch that confirmed what the hell the Vermillion's バウスガザル gun is supposed to mean?

After combing through several 2ch threads, it seems not even the Japanese know what it means... some speculate it's Indonesian since that's where Elvy's from (her callsign is Indonesian, too).

And I probably should have realized what was coming when Google auto-filled in 意味 the second I wrote the weapon's name...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rahxephon got an official US release, but is the weapon's name ever said in the show? If it's meant to be indonesian, maybe whoever translated the show caught that and made it into actual indonesian words instead of indonesian by way of Japanese.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 10, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I can't really comb through all the localized episodes to see if it's mentioned but the wiki doesn't say anything.

Additionally, the english pages Google handed me only referenced the Vermillion's weapon as a wave-motion gun, rail gun or stuff like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe it's just the indonesian word for wave motion :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Man I was ready to come to the rescue using that idea.

Alas:

I'm stumped on this name.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blah, I give up - checked dozens of pages already and found zip about it.

If its not important enough to warrant folks figuring out how it's spelled fourteen years after the series ended, then I needn't care that much! :v:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Endorph posted:

The kind of otaku that are into giant robots probably aren't also into magical girls, and 4 year old girls probably don't play much strategy RPGs, is probably the logic they're using.

For those who haven't seen this before, it's a breakdown of information about some Precure or another. Including demographics.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

For those who haven't seen this before, it's a breakdown of information about some Precure or another. Including demographics.
Yeah, I think basically past a certain point in time, the Magical Girl genre ended up having men be a pretty significant portion of the fanbase, if not THE biggest portion.

Like if you do Symphogear / Nanoha / Precure / Cutie Honey / Madoka, I think that's probably not quite 4 year old non-strategy RPG player demographic any more.

I actually can't quite think of any "this is clearly meant for little girls only" examples of modern MG series any more - it's not exactly the Sazae-san / Sally the Witch era any more.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Davzz posted:

Yeah, I think basically past a certain point in time, the Magical Girl genre ended up having men be a pretty significant portion of the fanbase, if not THE biggest portion.

Like if you do Symphogear / Nanoha / Precure / Cutie Honey / Madoka, I think that's probably not quite 4 year old non-strategy RPG player demographic any more.

I actually can't quite think of any "this is clearly meant for little girls only" examples of modern MG series any more - it's not exactly the Sazae-san / Sally the Witch era any more.

And you can't even chalk that up as otaku/japanese weirdness, considering things such as My Little Pony's fandom.

I dunno where the tipping point was...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Minky momo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davzz posted:

This isn't something unique to magical girls, either. A lot of the fanbases are much less stratified than they were ten or twenty years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

And you can't even chalk that up as otaku/japanese weirdness, considering things such as My Little Pony's fandom.

It didn't cause it, but it seemed to happen around the time Sailor Moon showed up on US broadcast TV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

It didn't cause it, but it seemed to happen around the time Sailor Moon showed up on US broadcast TV.

Magical Princess Minky Momo is a Japanese magical-girl anime franchise by Production Reed. The original series ran between 1982 and 1982 on TV Tokyo and inspired three OVAs between 1985 and 1987.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine the internet was a big factor in it because it allowed people to interact and discuss any manner of show with other people rather easily.

I know the initial response to this stuff is to go "oh, it's creepy fuckers masturbating to children/animals/whatever" but a lot of what it seems to be is people looking to have emotional experiences normally denied to them by the media supposedly aimed at them. Especially to a certain type of dude it's pretty hard to find stories about friendship/emotions/ect within the media aimed at your group. (Likewise, it is why you're seeing an upswing in women embracing normally male-oriented properties because the exact opposite is true too.). The unfortunate side effect however is that it does also attract those type of weirdos and that the worst of the lot tend to dominate discussions. (The worst of the lot actually tend to dominate discussions even for male-oriented products but it stands out less there because people are less surprised about a dude being weird about Batman than they are about a brightly-colored pony or whatever.)

But regardless, being able to talk and interact with others, as well as easily watch or acquire episodes, makes it easy for those groups to form.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine the internet was a big factor in it because it allowed people to interact and discuss any manner of show with other people rather easily.

I know the initial response to this stuff is to go "oh, it's creepy fuckers masturbating to children/animals/whatever" but a lot of what it seems to be is people looking to have emotional experiences normally denied to them by the media supposedly aimed at them. Especially to a certain type of dude it's pretty hard to find stories about friendship/emotions/ect within the media aimed at your group. (Likewise, it is why you're seeing an upswing in women embracing normally male-oriented properties because the exact opposite is true too.). The unfortunate side effect however is that it does also attract those type of weirdos and that the worst of the lot tend to dominate discussions. (The worst of the lot actually tend to dominate discussions even for male-oriented products but it stands out less there because people are less surprised about a dude being weird about Batman than they are about a brightly-colored pony or whatever.)

But regardless, being able to talk and interact with others, as well as easily watch or acquire episodes, makes it easy for those groups to form.
Also yeah, this is pretty accurate. It's the same reason there's a lot of women who love stuff like Hokuto no Ken or whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Magical Princess Minky Momo is a Japanese magical-girl anime franchise by Production Reed. The original series ran between 1982 and 1982 on TV Tokyo and inspired three OVAs between 1985 and 1987.

:ok:

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Got a question, since besides Z2 and Z3 I haven't played any of the crossover SRW games; if Zeta and ZZ are in a game, how do they usually handle Emma/Fa and Elle/Roux etc. with regards to Zeta, Mk II, Hyaku Shiki? Do they throw in more grunt suits for you to use?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Got a question, since besides Z2 and Z3 I haven't played any of the crossover SRW games; if Zeta and ZZ are in a game, how do they usually handle Emma/Fa and Elle/Roux etc. with regards to Zeta, Mk II, Hyaku Shiki? Do they throw in more grunt suits for you to use?

It depends.

With regards to the Gundam Mk.II, usually Emma and Elle are not in games together. Alpha 3 gave you a Super Gundam and a Gundam Mk.II however without much explanation. More often than not however Emma's dead if you have the ZZ guys so it isn't an issue.
Likewise Beecha usually isn't around at the same time as Quattro. The only time that really happened in my memory was in GC where Beecha stole the Hyaku Shiki briefly and then just became a pilot you could assign. I don't think they've ever doubled up on the Hyaku Shiki since it's easier to just throw in a Sazabi or something for Quattro/Char.
Roux usually gets the ReGZ in place of the Zeta.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 11, 2016

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Hmm. I'm curious what will we get with SRWV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give fa the strongest gundam because she's voiced by satomi arai

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Kanos posted:

It absolutely has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3l_-f5pI4o

It just wasn't very good. I also imagine collecting licenses for it is a loving nightmare.

man, totally forgot that game existed

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Alpha 3 just dumped a metric fuckton of grunt suits to toss pilots in, to the point that you have a not insignificant number of unused spares despite the combined cast of Z, ZZ, CCA and Stardust Memory being available for use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Tried out that Majokko Daisakusen: Little Witching Mischiefs game tonight and it is loving bad

• Locked thread