Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man rape is the hotness of the week on the forums isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The week? I think you mean "the decade".

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Franchescanado posted:

I agree, they are pretty meta, but this time they're meta with their own material instead of an outside source/genre. Consider how Burn After Reading handles those same subversions:

Anyone who has an altercation does it without knowing why they're having an altercation. When Brad Pitt meets George Clooney, his head is blown off immediately--typical Coen hyper-violence, but completely out of nowhere, without reason (it was a surprise/accident). Or when John Malkovich hacks away at Richard Jenkins with a hatchet, he is drunk, paranoid, and pretty much confused with anger. It's also important that this is the "final moment of violence" that punctuates the denouement of most Coen movies, but instead of a wood chipper, a battle outside of a bowling alley, a flood, a fire, a car accident, a tornado, anything sensational or Act-of-God, it is a distant shot of a man attacking another man. It's still very violent, the sound effects are still there, but it's muted and we are removed from it.

They take the concept of a running joke and literally turn it into a running joke about George Clooney running.

Frances McDormand is usually considered the heroine or a romantic interest. In BAR, she's neither. Ultimately she's the crux of villainy, and she's used in an affair, and she is "aged" and vain. And after this movie, she's hasn't been used in that type of role again.

There's no real overall conspiracy, everyone is just selfish and too ignorant to see the answers are in front of them the whole time

The movie ends with a punchline that not only emphasizes the movie's playful theme of absurdity, but can be used to summarize most of their movies (especially post-BAR movies that heavily deal with knowledge/understanding/absurdity):

CIA Superior: What did we learn, Palmer?
CIA Officer: I don't know, sir.
CIA Superior: I don't fuckin' know either. I guess we learned not to do it again.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir.
CIA Superior: I'm hosed if I know what we did.
CIA Officer: Yes, sir, it's, uh, hard to say
CIA Superior: Jesus loving Christ.

I'm sure there's a lot more to make a stronger argument, but it's been a few years. I'll rewatch it soon and reconsider.

It's incredibly re-watchable; lot's of tiny little throwaway jokes that are still in line for their characters. One of my favorite joke in the movie is Tilda Swinton is one of the coldest, bitchiest shrews of a woman in recent history - and she's a loving pediatrician! Of all the medical careers she could have chosen, she chose one of the most demanding as far as having a pleasant, warm demeanor goes. And even that isn't just a random gag for the sake of it - she's married to a spoiled, drunk, unimportant man, so no wonder she's always pissed off.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, just caught up, Burn After Reading is a movie I didn't like at first, but have really come around on. The ending sells it so completely to me.

Also, did somebody else earlier say that they thought Dalton was the best Bond? I thought I was the only person with that feeling.

Anyhow, how does Green Room play to a larger audience, some of whom would be drunk? Looking for a movie for late in my New Years party, and The Guest played really well at Halloween, also merging equally novel and thrillerish would be lovely.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Green Room is quite a bit heavier than The Guest.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I could see Green Room playing well for a group of people who enjoy gore and horror. It's got some intricacies so it needs attention paid to it, but it's got enough "OH poo poo!" moments to be quite a crowd pleaser.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would really depend on the group. Green Room is pretty intense.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Maybe I need to rewatch it, it seemed really silly at the time. But I think I ate an entire cheeba chew that morning so

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Must watch. Everybody watch!

I kinda wish I liked The Wailing more, but it's still very very good.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

The Lobster is on Amazon Prime and is very good.

Seconded.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hey, I know the composer! He's loving great, check out his Bandcamp page (under Disasterpeace). The first entry is a soundtrack for a fictitious video game. It's from a contest I officiated on another forum over a decade ago, and it's some of my favorite driving music. (Think chiptune + live drums.) He has since created soundtracks for real games, and now this!

Yeah I've listened to some of his other stuff since seeing It Follows, he's good.

The Stranger Things guys are good too, but their stuff doesn't grab me as much.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spectral recently popped up on Netflix (and I think it's Netflix-produced, too), and it actually turned out to be pretty drat entertaining. It's basically half military action and half horror, with a dash of sci-fi mixed in. It manages to walk the fine line of gradually shedding more light on the central threat to keep it interesting, but without going so far that it turns mundane and boring. Not outstanding, but all around very decent with a cool concept and some neat visuals.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Nah, Netflix just bough the rights to it.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Perestroika posted:

Spectral recently popped up on Netflix (and I think it's Netflix-produced, too), and it actually turned out to be pretty drat entertaining. It's basically half military action and half horror, with a dash of sci-fi mixed in. It manages to walk the fine line of gradually shedding more light on the central threat to keep it interesting, but without going so far that it turns mundane and boring. Not outstanding, but all around very decent with a cool concept and some neat visuals.

It's definitely worth watching if action/scifi is your wheelhouse, but the movie is just Aliens.

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 11, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ChickenMedium posted:

It's definitely worth watching if action/scifi is in your wheelhouse, but the movie is just Aliens.

"Just Aliens" sounds pretty good right now, to be honest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just noticed there are a ton of Rifftrax Presents on Amazon. The only one that costs money is Santa Claus vs the Ice Cream Elves but holy poo poo is that one ever worth the $3 rental.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Spa Night is really good and on Netflix, check it oot!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKCEXd0plA

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sarchasm posted:

"Just Aliens" sounds pretty good right now, to be honest.

It doesn't have a queen and there's some silliness, but yeah, Aliens is definitely the vibe.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
May have been brought up already, but Toys is streaming on netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0thlffZdFk

Go watch Toys.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Toys is my go to example of a movie that could not be made today in the studio system. Even outré stealth art films are totally target-marketed and pigeonholed. This movie was promoted as an all-ages Robin Williams good time flick, and yet when you watch it from frame one, it's completely inexplicable.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ChickenMedium posted:

It's definitely worth watching if action/scifi is your wheelhouse, but the movie is just Aliens.

Sold.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Toys is a mess of a movie that feels like it can't settle on what it is. It's got that "just film him ad-libbing and that will stand for our comedy scenes" problem you find in the blandest Robin Williams movies, and stuff like that and the generic romance angle clash with the surrealism and plain weirdness elsewhere. You had Robin Williams and Joan Cusack do an extended René Magritte-inspired music video for a Thomas Dolby song in the middle of your movie for no Goddamn reason, you don't need to follow it up with wacky impressions.

It's a movie I love for its individual parts way more than the whole, particularly the visual design and pretty much anything involving Michael Gambon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had so many nightmares as a kid from Toys.

They only stopped once I watched Mars Attacks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Toys is my go to example of a movie that could not be made today in the studio system. Even outré stealth art films are totally target-marketed and pigeonholed. This movie was promoted as an all-ages Robin Williams good time flick, and yet when you watch it from frame one, it's completely inexplicable.

To be fair it was a total outlier then, too. Even as a kid I was like, what the hell is this movie and how did it happen? I have very vivid memories of the first time I saw it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

In probably the most quintessentially early 90s video store trip ever, some friends and I rented Lawnmower Man and Toys for the same night. Everyone agreed that Toys was by far the more disturbing of the two.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it feels like it should be a Peter Weir movie.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

It was the passion project of writer/director/producer Barry Levinson (better known for Good Morning Vietnam and Rain Main), who apparently had to work at it for 10 years to even start filming, banking on the success of his previous movies to get it green lit.

edit: Just finished watching Spectral, echoing the thread's recommendation to watch it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spectral was all right but I'll probably forget it exists by tomorrow. It's worth a watch though.

Anyone watch The Good Neighbor? Sounds like a decently entertaining premise if nothing else.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Toys does have the weird tonal clash problems, which I attribute to it being a pet project- so much got attached to it that Levinson just couldn't prune away the parts that didn't fit. Still, it's a lot of fun, the visuals and soundtrack rule.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hihifellow posted:

edit: Just finished watching Spectral, echoing the thread's recommendation to watch it.

It's a fun concept but there's basically zero character development and very little personal conflict. Everyone has the same goals and the same motivations and they run into difficulties and either die or overcome them for 90+ minutes and then it ends.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In particular the war itself is eerily impersonal. I don't think you see a single living member of the insurgency or the old regime once in the entire movie, you just see the landmines (literal and figurative) they've left behind while the heroic American soldiers save the day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine Aliens only at the end Burke goes "gee Ripley, those xenomorphs really are too dangerous to use, good thing you were around to figure it out for us." It's really toothless from an anti-war / anti-imperialism standpoint despite making faint gestures in that direction.

The more I think about this movie the less I like it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I know I don't think it's streaming yet, but we just watched the vvitch last night and it disturbed the poo poo out of both of us. Esocially the unique body lotion scene not even 10 minutes in. We didn't think it was the best movie by any means but after we left the house we were strangely on edge around people for a bit.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I know I don't think it's streaming yet, but we just watched the vvitch last night and it disturbed the poo poo out of both of us. Esocially the unique body lotion scene not even 10 minutes in. We didn't think it was the best movie by any means but after we left the house we were strangely on edge around people for a bit.

It's on Prime for free, and yes, it's a great movie.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Imagine Aliens only at the end Burke goes "gee Ripley, those xenomorphs really are too dangerous to use, good thing you were around to figure it out for us." It's really toothless from an anti-war / anti-imperialism standpoint despite making faint gestures in that direction.

The more I think about this movie the less I like it.

The place they land was set up by local forces, and they say at the end the U.S. is going to dismantle and rebuild the project and ask dude if he wants to be part of it, but he refuses.They could have done more with it, but it was there. I enjoyed it though, it was nice seeing an action movie were the protagonists figured out solutions to problems instead of smashing everything.

Terrorvision is on Amazon Prime. A supremely strange 80's horror comedy about one odd as hell family and an alien monster riding TV signals, also a personal favorite of mine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a fun concept but there's basically zero character development and very little personal conflict. Everyone has the same goals and the same motivations and they run into difficulties and either die or overcome them for 90+ minutes and then it ends.
I always want more character development in the movie about a scientist and a lady spy fighting aliens with a group of uber soldiers.

As for why there's no enemy regime and insurgents, well, the weapons got out of control and killed almost everybody in the city

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
A minor point relating to Spectral that I'm sure is just nitpicking but I can't stand Clayne Crawford's face. It's one of those faces that irritates me. Petty I know but there you go

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just finished watching Shut Eye.

While I enjoyed it, the main storyline felt half finished and the side stories seemed a bit rushed. I mean, it's all setup for a second (and beyond) season, but I wanted better payoff for a first season.

In short I would have liked it better if it wasn't so uneven.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I always want more character development in the movie about a scientist and a lady spy fighting aliens with a group of uber soldiers.

Sarcasm isn't really on point here when Aliens has plenty, and is the better film for it.

coyo7e posted:

As for why there's no enemy regime and insurgents, well, the weapons got out of control and killed almost everybody in the city

I'm not confused about what happened, dude, I'm talking about its significance in the story. It's a war movie where the enemy exists only in the form of the weapons they leave behind. That's not inherently a bad thing but it says something very different than one where the protagonists have to look them in the eye.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On PS4 at least, Netflix auto plays a trailer now, which is actually pretty nice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like, here's my takeaway from Spectral:

- There really were weapons of mass destruction.

- If the US hadn't intervened they would have overrun the city (and maybe the world?)

- The ghosts are literally "weaponized civilians" -- and the only way to deal with them is to put them out of their misery.

- War is hell that consumes everything indiscriminately.

- The above notwithstanding, we never see a soldier hurt another human being.

- If a technology has both noble and horrifying uses, the moral act is to bury it, because the latter will happen eventually.

Not all of these things are objectionable or wrong, but it dances around a lot of the real problems, and point #3 in particular is kind of grody.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

On PS4 at least, Netflix auto plays a trailer now, which is actually pretty nice.

It is nice.

Also, a lot of the trailers share music, so you can play a trailer song match game.