Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

Jesus christ, it is almost that old isn't it. Our first 1.8t was a 98 Passat my dad bought. Man that car was so fast and smooth at the time. That engine somehow survived 240k miles on dinosaur blood and the cheapest fuel at the corner. My dad managed to hit at least 4 animals, a giant piece of lumber that destroyed the transmission and 2 wheel bearings due to the bent wheel he didn't give a poo poo about.

My dad just got rid of his 1999 1.8T Passat after 235k miles. He did zero preventative maintenance besides changing the oil and timing belt twice. Swears it's the best car he's ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Seems people's experience with VWs is either the absolute best or absolute worst car they've ever owned.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm hoping someone can give me a sense of what might be the issue with my car. I have a 2D 2008 GTI.

Occasionally when my car starts up it's perfectly fine (chug chug chug voom). There have been other times where my car starts up and it stalls a bit, but starts up... something like... (chug chug chug chug *stall for like 1-2 seconds* voom) or something like (chug chug *stalls for like 3 seconds* chug *stalls for 1-2 seconds* chug chug voom). There isn't a real rhyme or reason to it either, doesn't matter if it is hot, cold or raining outside. Doesn't even matter if it is from a cold start or if there's been a hour in between. Just happens randomly.

I did notice that one of the following things will happen if the car doesn't start perfectly the first time.

1. The radio will be off. I usually have to push the power button down and it will turn on and work perfectly fine. Other times, it will work even if the car stalls a bit.

2. The power windows will not work. I can move the windows up and down, but the power function will not. Sometimes it will be on the left sometimes on the right, sometimes it will be both. Totally random.

The last time I brought my car into my mechanic, he told me that the car didn't throw any codes and he didn't notice anything in terms of the start-up. He told me unfortunately, I'm just going to wait until a code comes up or something breaks. The windows and the radio issues didn't happen yet.

I just want to get a sense of what might be wrong with the car. Other than the issues I mentioned above, the car works perfectly fine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
May sound dumb, but have you checked all the fuses?

Guinness posted:

Seems people's experience with VWs is either the absolute best or absolute worst car they've ever owned.

That's what I've noticed too. Had a VW for over 20 years and literally the only issue I ever had was being a magnet for stupid people. But could just as easily be an issue with people in Colorado being idiots jammed closer together than they were when I lived in Texas.
6 "accidents" in the past 10 years all while either parked or sitting still when it happened. Well other than the most recent tboning.
Snow plow took out front end within the first 6 months I moved here.
A year later some rear end in a top hat tried to break in to the car requiring a respray of the B pillar
About a year later I got sideswiped by a kid in a CRX
Traded that car in and about a year after I got the new car, a truck going through a green got tboned flipped and landed on my hood while I was at a stop light
Traded that car in on the current one. Some piece of poo poo sideswiped it in the parking lot.
A week later it gets tboned.

I hate people.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

May sound dumb, but have you checked all the fuses?

I have not checked those. Nor do I know how. I'm sure I can figure it out though. Is it process intensive?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

obi_ant posted:

I have not checked those. Nor do I know how. I'm sure I can figure it out though. Is it process intensive?

Nah, but it's a good place to start. Also since I have seen gremlins eventually turn into burned out fuse boxes.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Sounds to me like it's occasionally losing contact with the battery, or has a poor connection only evident during start up high current draw.

Check your battery terminals for corrosion and connectors are tight, check both the positive and negative cables and their connections, check main ground.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How terrible is 1st gen TT Quattro ownership? Is there a more reliable/trouble free year or engine choice?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awd beetle

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I scheduled the payoff for the GTi tonight, I will have to call tomorrow to see if it went through or if I need to do a wire transfer to Capital One.
Buyer seems happy, but I don't have a deposit and the sale isn't complete until I have the title in my hands to give him and we do the money dance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I scheduled the payoff for the GTi tonight, I will have to call tomorrow to see if it went through or if I need to do a wire transfer to Capital One.
Buyer seems happy, but I don't have a deposit and the sale isn't complete until I have the title in my hands to give him and we do the money dance.

This wasn't you or your buyer, was it? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

This wasn't you or your buyer, was it? :v:

Hahaha, no, my mom sent me the same article though. :lol: :)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

How terrible is 1st gen TT Quattro ownership? Is there a more reliable/trouble free year or engine choice?

My ex had an 04 and put just shy of 300k on it. Cooling system at 100k intervals, and electrics were the trouble points. Electrics were demonic assholes .

Examples: oh its 36f and raining, let's put the windows down. Oh, you're driving on the freeway for the next 8 hours, your door must be open, so let's crack the window. Oh you're in a low clearance parking garage, let's throw the rear hatch up. Also: one full Christmas tree of dash lights. Radio cranked to max and won't shut off. Seat heat in the peak of summer. Your door is ajar. YOUR DOOR IS AJAR. (insert washer fluid animation)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 14, 2016

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

blk posted:

Pretty terrible, unless you like spending money on it. The 2009 up to next model are pretty good(my general rule of thumb when I talk to people interested in Audis is avoid anything earlier than 2009, after that they're actually fairly good cars.). The Vr6 motor is definitely more reliable engine than the 2.0 liter compatriots, but a little heavier and obviously no boost(this can be corrected). But it's a fantastic sounding motor. Only issue that's common that I can think of off the top of my head on the 2009-2011ish TT's are the grounds like to go bad and burn up the bulb trays in the tail lights.

I do like the first gen TT's, but due to their age, suspension components are definitely getting worn out, plastic vacuum and pcv components on the 1.8t are shot, or will be hosed the second you touch them, and also extremely pricey for what they are. If it's not a hard top, you'll definitely have to check the glass in the soft top. It likes to unglue itself and let water into the car, onto at least two control modules. alternatively, TT owners spend a poo poo load of money on their cars. If you find one that the owner stayed on top of, go for it, but he's going to want some return.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

obi_ant posted:

I'm hoping someone can give me a sense of what might be the issue with my car. I have a 2D 2008 GTI.

Occasionally when my car starts up it's perfectly fine (chug chug chug voom). There have been other times where my car starts up and it stalls a bit, but starts up... something like... (chug chug chug chug *stall for like 1-2 seconds* voom) or something like (chug chug *stalls for like 3 seconds* chug *stalls for 1-2 seconds* chug chug voom). There isn't a real rhyme or reason to it either, doesn't matter if it is hot, cold or raining outside. Doesn't even matter if it is from a cold start or if there's been a hour in between. Just happens randomly.

I did notice that one of the following things will happen if the car doesn't start perfectly the first time.

1. The radio will be off. I usually have to push the power button down and it will turn on and work perfectly fine. Other times, it will work even if the car stalls a bit.

2. The power windows will not work. I can move the windows up and down, but the power function will not. Sometimes it will be on the left sometimes on the right, sometimes it will be both. Totally random.

The last time I brought my car into my mechanic, he told me that the car didn't throw any codes and he didn't notice anything in terms of the start-up. He told me unfortunately, I'm just going to wait until a code comes up or something breaks. The windows and the radio issues didn't happen yet.

I just want to get a sense of what might be wrong with the car. Other than the issues I mentioned above, the car works perfectly fine.

I'm thinking you might have an ignition switch, steering column lock unit or j519 issue. Fuses that are blown will definitely throw a code, but that doesn't rule out high resistance in a fuse, which is a rare possibility.

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't lead to faults, but can cause no starts and in some cases stalling are the one or two power supply relays, located on the driver side behind the kick panel. They supply power for the ECM and othe Engine components. To me, worth just going ahead and replace them.(there might only be one, I think depends on year).

One more thing, just remembered: crank sensor. Can defintely cause the issue youre describing, without fault codes even.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

interwhat posted:

Only issue that's common that I can think of off the top of my head on the 2009-2011ish TT's are the grounds like to go bad and burn up the bulb trays in the tail lights.

Also direct injection on the 2.0T so you'll have to get your carbon buildup cleaned off every 30-40k.

I just got a 2010 TTS and it's rad as gently caress. It's a squashed Golf R that ended up being cheaper by comparison. If you want a manual you're stuck with trying to find a decent VR6 or getting a FWD version. The DSG is great though.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

concise posted:

Also direct injection on the 2.0T so you'll have to get your carbon buildup cleaned off every 30-40k.

I just got a 2010 TTS and it's rad as gently caress. It's a squashed Golf R that ended up being cheaper by comparison. If you want a manual you're stuck with trying to find a decent VR6 or getting a FWD version. The DSG is great though.

How could I forget carbon!?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the hot hatch thread, but if you're a fan of tight things check this out

fknlo posted:

Checking fitment on the 17's from my TDI and there's not much room to spare. Not sure how comfortable I am with that. Weight placement would be massively important with the shapes of the calipers too. There's a bump towards the inner side of them that the weights probably wouldn't clear. I guess I'd have to tell them to only put weights next to the face or inside edge of the wheel?

That shows the bump that I'm talking about.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, that's perfect.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I've had a base 2016 Jetta 1.4T 5spd lease for about a year now, and I'm just so bored of it. It's a pretty nice car overall, I like the interior, android auto, and the insanely good gas mileage, easily 40+, but it's just so numb and slow.

VW is doing 0 down leases on 2017 GTI's right now, but the monthly payment would be ~$360 vs the $186 I pay now. Is this a really bad idea or is the GTI that much more fun? I really really miss my fiesta ST, and this would be a suitable replacement I think.

Also how worth it is getting the performance pack with the LSD+Bigger brakes? Actually a noticeable difference ?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Get the 2017 Sport. The LSD and lights are worth it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Get the 2017 Sport. The LSD and lights are worth it.

Correct. I just leased a Sport myself, albeit with different intentions in regards to the lease. My adventures can be found in the hot hatch thread. Positive outcome is still TBD. GTI lease terms are not all that great. My payments on a 3 year/15k mile lease are about $400 a month. If you can swing the payment difference I'd say it's worth it. The car is a complete blast to drive and you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went from a 2011 jetta to a 2016 gti and went from not giving a poo poo about cars to looking forward to driving every day. I regret not waiting for a PP to pop-up reasonably close, but this car has had me immediately interested in upgrading the car, and the PP is well worth the bang/buck, though I wouldn't say the brakes are necessary for normal folk. Make sure you get a JB1/4

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JollyPubJerk posted:

I went from a 2011 jetta to a 2016 gti and went from not giving a poo poo about cars to looking forward to driving every day. I regret not waiting for a PP to pop-up reasonably close, but this car has had me immediately interested in upgrading the car, and the PP is well worth the bang/buck, though I wouldn't say the brakes are necessary for normal folk. Make sure you get a JB1/4

The brakes are definite overkill, but the big thing the PP gets you is the LSD.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veedubfreak posted:

The brakes are definite overkill, but the big thing the PP gets you is the LSD.

yeah stop making me feel bad

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'll probably at least autocross it, but no way I'm tracking a lease, but I'm sure I'll appreciate the brakes either way. I'll go check one out on Saturday and report back.

I just miss having a fun car, I went from a modded 330ci to a Miata to a Fiesta ST to the Jetta and now driving is just... Transport from A-B. I think I had more fun in my old corolla since at least it didn't have traction control.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I'm kind of toying with the idea of getting an R8. Anything specific I need to watch out for? It's annoying that the V10 manuals are really rare and way more expensive than the V8 R-tronics which are everywhere and quite affordable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm looking at a 2015 GLI with a 6 speed with about 15k miles on it. Looking at its service history it had the camshaft replaced at 5k miles under warranty. Is that a red flag that I should avoid this car? And what can cause a camshaft to need to be replaced so early?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GutBomb posted:

I'm looking at a 2015 GLI with a 6 speed with about 15k miles on it. Looking at its service history it had the camshaft replaced at 5k miles under warranty. Is that a red flag that I should avoid this car? And what can cause a camshaft to need to be replaced so early?

I believe those had cam follower issues, so if it's already been done, in theory it should be fine.

That's the new body GLI right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

I believe those had cam follower issues, so if it's already been done, in theory it should be fine.

That's the new body GLI right?

If you mean the revised front end look, that came on the 2016s.

I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on it because it's the exact right balance of comfort, fun, practicality, and cost. The only thing holding me back was seeing the camshaft replacement on the service history.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Is it the fsi engine with problematic camshaft followers? Google tells me the 2015 GLI has a TSI, but that could be wrong and I'm just curious if I remembered right about the fsi.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah it's on the FSI motors not the TSI. Seems strange to have been replaced already on the 2015.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Oh well, I bought it. It was the only one with a 6 speed and still under warranty anywhere in Utah so now it's mine. Is there a VW thread here or is this it?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This here be it. I've always thought the GLI's were a neat option after owning a couple GTI's. What are your thoughts so far? Any plans to tune?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

GutBomb posted:

Oh well, I bought it. It was the only one with a 6 speed and still under warranty anywhere in Utah so now it's mine. Is there a VW thread here or is this it?

I'm far from an authority on VW engines, just did some learning when I had to choose between a tsi and fsi engine. Maybe yours just had a blooper and now all is well. In any case- warranty! Would also live to hear about your impressions as I'm also in the curious GGTFdriver camp.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willroc7 posted:

This here be it. I've always thought the GLI's were a neat option after owning a couple GTI's. What are your thoughts so far? Any plans to tune?

Definitely going to tune. I test drove a couple GTIs and they were both really fun but not big enough. The GTI feels better to throw around, due to its size, but this thing just pulls and keeps pulling. I keep looking down at the speedo thinking I'm going 65/70 (freeway limit here is 70) and I'm going 90 instead.

I need better tires (it's on crappy all seasons) but I'm going to keep the tuning to a point where it doesn't make the ride harsh or loud. Not gonna mess with the suspension or exhaust.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Is it really that much bigger than a 4 door GTI? Also, strongly recommend continental DW tires.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willroc7 posted:

Is it really that much bigger than a 4 door GTI? Also, strongly recommend continental DW tires.

I needed the trunk space for baby stuff. The stroller takes up the whole trunk in the gti.

It was between this, the cc and a 3 series. This won out based on price. The 3 series wasn't $7k more fun to drive and the cc was a little heavier than I wanted. I have a bendpak quickjack portable lift thing for working on the car and the cc is right at its weight limit and I don't want to mess around with weight limits when it means a car falling on top of me.

Edit: I must be going crazy. Where did VW hide the USB ports in this thing? (The owners manual is missing)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Edit: I must be going crazy. Where did VW hide the USB ports in this thing? (The owners manual is missing)
This is probably the closest you're gonna get: https://www.amazon.com/VW-MDI-Adapter-Interface-000-051-446-B/dp/B004FG1CXY

If you have an Android phone you should be able to play music from it as a mass storage device. If you have an IOS phone, get the Lightning MDI cable instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Haha wow. Way to go VW. I did see that there was a lightning version of that cable in a storage compartment in my car, but I have an android phone. Bluetooth is fine for me so it looks like I'm getting a cigarette lighter USB port for charging.