Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Orv posted:

What are some champs like Aatrox that aren't the hottest garbage?

graves irelia xin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1Gcf8l8yY

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress all of you who play at reasonable times, i cannot for the life of me find someone to duo with in placements for like 4 hours now

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

play them solo, use your pioneer spirit

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

What are some champs like Aatrox that aren't the hottest garbage?

Xin Zhao is basically the same champ as Aatrox but has his abilities all mixed and has some actual use in the game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm still not sure why they decided to port an almost 1:1 version of Maliken from HoN. He wasn't exactly a groundbreaking design there either.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did HoN ever crack down on their non-DotA-port heroes being completely insane or did it stop being a going concern before it mattered?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does HoN matter?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is HoN still alive? admittedly, I like watching the "champion spotlights" of other moba games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:black101: Presenting, Leblaven the Edgelord!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jMpC8iBJ8

I had a really good time with HoN when it was The Option, before the MOBA tsunami arrived, but you couldn't pay me to go back to it.

E: I will never complain about League AA animations again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 11, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

:black101: Presenting, Leblaven the Edgelord!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jMpC8iBJ8

I had a really good time with HoN when it was The Option, before the MOBA tsunami arrived, but you couldn't pay me to go back to it.

E: I will never complain about League AA animations again.

Jokes aside, thats a pretty cool kitbash of Draven and Phantom Lancer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They've come up with a handful of really neat ideas actually. They've got one hero who splits into two, leaving the ability casting portion as a stationary turret while the other part moves around and AAs. I guess at some point there's only so much you can do without breaking the whole isometric deal, so eventually every hero will be somebody else.

Also looking into HoN as a laugh reminded me that it's a shame that everyone decided Pudge was the hero to emulate in every MOBA, because I really want Barathrum/Rampage in every one instead.

E: Oh good, people have decided Camille is a jungle champ, that's not horrifying.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 11, 2016

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I think the problem I have with Camille is (from just watching imaqtpie play pre-release) that her hook shot to walls lets her pass through them? That doesn't make any sense to me as like how that ability should work? I shoot my grappling hook rear end to a wall, now I will booty smash my way through it? I think she'd still be super interesting if she couldn't phase through walls.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They shoot out of like, rotating wheels in her legs, and the animation is pretty clearly her going up and over when she goes through a wall instead of off it. :shrug:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
The only hon hero that needs porting to any moba is flux tia

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I think the main problem I have with Camille is she does 1k+ true damage with a try force & like maybe a little more ad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

I think the main problem I have with Camille is she does 1k+ true damage with a try force & like maybe a little more ad.

Also she's very obviously Irelia trying to sneak away from Irelia stigma by wearing cyber legs

Get outta here irelia, yer drunk, call a horse uber

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure it'll be fine.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Luna Was Here posted:

The only hon hero that needs porting to any moba is flux tia
Rhapsody is 500x better than sona fyi

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Rhapsody is 500x better than sona fyi

Eh, she's basically Enigma stun (with the mini stuns on command) mixed with Omniknight/Jereziah (with channeled aoe Repel+blessing as her ult)

Dance Pad is a pretty neat gimmick, though.

Sona was pretty unique as far as moba designs go, its just that her ease of play has earned her [half-joking] ire.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
actually on the subject of hon also give me puppet master and electrician too tia in advance

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

empath would be a cool league support

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radical posted:

empath would be a cool league support

I thought we wanted vayne dumpstered

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Neurolimal posted:

Eh, she's basically Enigma stun (with the mini stuns on command) mixed with Omniknight/Jereziah (with channeled aoe Repel+blessing as her ult)

Dance Pad is a pretty neat gimmick, though.

Sona was pretty unique as far as moba designs go, its just that her ease of play has earned her [half-joking] ire.

Her original iteration was a walking aura with an active stun. That isn't unique at all

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Is there an easy way to change the language of announcer/champion voices in the English client? Or at least a way that won't get you in trouble with Rito?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

LVOC is kinda broken with the new client but thats what you want

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Heroes of Newerth still exists?

EDIT:

I thought they moved on to their "second generation" MOBA (whatever that means) Strife which is even more like LoL except it's impossible to kill anyone before you've powered up for 15 minutes.

Is HoN really still alive or is it just on life support?

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 11, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

hon was popular in SEA so garena bought it and they still develop it. i dont think the NA/EU playerbase is very large these days.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Radical posted:

hon was popular in SEA so garena bought it and they still develop it. i dont think the NA/EU playerbase is very large these days.

Oh okay. Yeah I guess that makes more sense.

All I really remember about HoN is that after a certain point all their new heroes were equipped with stun + slow, the bristleback and axe ripoffs were somehow broken every two versions and the guy leading the company was some sort of a lunatic.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
i like good memories

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Guinsoo was an unbelievable shitter. Is he still employed by Riot, or did they finally dump him?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Vermain posted:

Guinsoo was an unbelievable shitter. Is he still employed by Riot, or did they finally dump him?

The sad part is that he was probably right back then. It's kind of unbelievable just how much tech Riot had found to make their jank-rear end game prettier, better and more varied. Remember when Zac was considered 'THE MOST COMPLICATED THING WE'VE EVER DONE, WE MAY NEVER TOP THIS'? It's an incredibly cynical thing to say in public but I fully believe Guinsoo wasn't lying about it back then. Riot really got gud at diversifying their game at some point.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Servaetes posted:

Her original iteration was a walking aura with an active stun. That isn't unique at all

"Unique" doesn't have to necessarily mean "good" or "clever".

She was a walking aura bot with skills independent of her move commands, Taric comes close but doesn't entirely fit that mold, and I can't think of any moba designs at the time that match that.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Not that I want to take away from HoN, but I'm curious what I can do as a Support main to carry a game.

Generally I've been playing a lot of Alistar and either getting kills for my ADC or otherwise coming out even in the laning phase, what do I do after that, do I just attach to the ADC at the hip, or roaming for kills?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Voxx posted:

i like good memories

In all fairness I'm pretty sure a dota2 designer or caster said the same thing.

The biggest question that comes to mind reading that is: why you need to be able to immediately go "that hero's a woman" in-game. To the best of my knowledge I can't think of a moba with a hero who needs that distinction, and at this point I've played safely double-digit number of mobas.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Transient People posted:

The sad part is that he was probably right back then.

Nah. General body shape (typically the ratio of shoulders to hips), hairstyle, and the use of specific shapes (generally curves vs. straight lines for female/male) are far more indicative of biological sex. Take a look at Leona, Lux, and LeBlanc, all of whom were released around the general timeframe of that post: even if you shrank them to an A-cup, they're still readily identifiable as female because of how their proportions and hairstyles differ from someone like Garen or Darius.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Not that I want to take away from HoN, but I'm curious what I can do as a Support main to carry a game.

Generally I've been playing a lot of Alistar and either getting kills for my ADC or otherwise coming out even in the laning phase, what do I do after that, do I just attach to the ADC at the hip, or roaming for kills?

Every squishy champ on your team is going to spend as much time in a bad position as possible. Its your job to mitigate that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Depends on how your team is doing and how dangerous the enemy roamers are; if your team is faltering in their lanes but the enemy doesn't have a very scary jungler/enemy roaming around then you should go ward and gank for them (after making sure your ADC is capable of farming safely). If the enemy has a fed Rengar running around then you should just focus on keeping your carry alive and recognize the other lanes as lost causes.

A big part of supporting in solo queue is also to just learn to recognize when your carry is mechanically bad, and migrate to a different carry on your team for teamfight support. If your carry is a 0/8/0 Ashe that has landed 0 arrows then it may just be time to supersize your 9/0 Wukong.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yep. Basically ask yourself: "Will my ADC carry this game if I enable him?" A 6/0 Draven gets all the love and care of a mother bear from me. A 0-6 Ezreal can wander into the unwarded jungle for the 10th time and I'll happily ignore him.

So if the ADC is good, generally you want to protect him as your first priority.

Regardless of that though look at your team and the enemy team. If their team is a bunch of squishy divelords like Yasuo, Riven, or the assassin pack, then staying back and countering THEIR engage is often your best idea. If your team has no engage of its own, then you might need to be the sacrificial cow and engage for them. This goes for any of the tank supports. Finding out where your skills are most valuable is something that takes practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the problem with the "my adc is useless" thing is that if you leave them to their own devices there's a strong chance that they will be 100% useless. you really need to be able to recognize when you need to help your adc and when it's time to roam, because you can strike a balance without leaving someone to 1v2.

also hanging around a good adc 24/7 isnt even right either, because sometimes they're just going to be safe farming a side wave and all you're doing is leeching exp and not being somewhere actually useful. there's no single hard or fast rule for when you should be where as a support, and learning when to be where is probably the #1 support skill imo

• Locked thread