Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crazycryodude posted:

On a more serious note (and to try and steer the MilHist thread back towards MilHist), this got me thinking. Has there ever been a war where people on opposite sides were even as remotely connected as they are in some wars today?

All the drat time. Civil wars and revolts had brothers fighting brothers all too frequently and in the most literal sense of the word. Random example I can think of from WW2, some fathers would send a son to join the partizans, and another to join the chetniks, to maximize the chance of at least a part of the family surviving. Sometimes ended with a son being forced to execute the father to prove ideological purity while the father tries to convey a "Do it, now!" via glare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well if you think of it, just about every war in Europe up to WW1 was between cousins of some sort...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Let's be real here, they're going to be loaders.

Future tanks don't have loaders or crewed turrets for that matter (or crewed anything, possibly) is my prediction. Going all teletank might not be practical but technically it's already feasible. Which means that World of Tanks is really just a scheme by time travellers from the future for scouting for new tank commanders, The Last Starfighter style.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

American Civil War?

Or the American Revolution. It's probably not uncommon at all in any civil war or revolution that isn't fought along very distinct lines like race or class or religion. Even in those cases, the combatants might still be acquaintances, clients, bosses, etc.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Can anyone tell me more about how forts in the Netherlands used flooding as a defense? Learned a bit about it today that supposedly they planned to use cannons to blow up dams but not rly and it sounds crazy.

Seconding this! I know a little bit about the Nieuwe Water Linie and how it was supposed to work but not nearly enough for a effort post.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

There were goons on the opposing sides of the war in Ukraine. I say "were" because I'm pretty sure the Russian one is dead now.

Explains why he stopped posting in the "ask me about invading Ukraine" thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

The Something Awful forums: meet interesting new people and possibly kill them.

On a more serious note (and to try and steer the MilHist thread back towards MilHist), this got me thinking. Has there ever been a war where people on opposite sides were even as remotely connected as they are in some wars today?
30yw/80yw/that thing france fought with spain at the same time as the 30yw. both sides recruiting in the same area will recruit from the same group of people, since they enlist prisoners today's enemies are tomorrow's colleagues, and all the officers hang out.

my dad posted:

All the drat time. Civil wars and revolts had brothers fighting brothers all too frequently and in the most literal sense of the word. Random example I can think of from WW2, some fathers would send a son to join the partizans, and another to join the chetniks, to maximize the chance of at least a part of the family surviving. Sometimes ended with a son being forced to execute the father to prove ideological purity while the father tries to convey a "Do it, now!" via glare.
this happened to cyrano's ancestors iirc, one son joined one side in our civil war and the other one joined the other side

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

this happened to cyrano's ancestors iirc, one son joined one side in our civil war and the other one joined the other side

Yup. That branch of the family moved over right after one of the 1840s clusterfucks in Germany and the head of the family wanted to make sure we were on the winning side, because gently caress moving again. It was one of the boarder states where people went both ways.

The confederate deserted and walked home me after it became obvious how poo poo was going to turn out so a true believer he wasn't.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
What's that book you talk about, Cyrano the one with the german POW who doesn't like Hitler but thinks the final solution was awesome.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ensign Expendable posted:

You need physical strength to be a loader.

Based on my experience, half the company will camp base and the other half will drive into the lake.

There's a Current Syrian Events joke somewhere here.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup. That branch of the family moved over right after one of the 1840s clusterfucks in Germany and the head of the family wanted to make sure we were on the winning side, because gently caress moving again. It was one of the boarder states where people went both ways.

The confederate deserted and walked home me after it became obvious how poo poo was going to turn out so a true believer he wasn't.
as far as i know, one branch of my family was in the ACW. they were cryptojews who settled in the border and they joined both armies. cav, mostly.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's a Current Syrian Events joke somewhere here.

The Current Syrian Events joke is that you might as well start eating popcorn and wait for pics of ISIS owned Leopard tanks to show up within a reasonable timeframe.

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013
Beevor's The Second World War is today's Audible Daily Deal. I know it's been mentioned here before, but I don't remember the consensus. Good? Bad?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ThingOne posted:

There was a definite distinction between Mongols, non-Mongols, and Chinese people in Mongol law but it was more of a "pay a 15 goat fine instead of 5" sort of deal than a "hold my kumis, I'm gonna put an arrow through that foreigner's eye".

Right. I just take exception to the idea that they wouldn't even recognize non Mongols as human. It reminds me of that old bs about Aztecs having their minds broken by Spanish caravels because for some reason big boats with sails are just too goddamn crazy to comprehend

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm shocked that y'all are having a slapfight about AP classes instead of screaming at me about Spengler. :cmon:

What's happened to this thread?

MisterMarmite posted:

Beevor's The Second World War is today's Audible Daily Deal. I know it's been mentioned here before, but I don't remember the consensus. Good? Bad?

Beevor is Good.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

MisterMarmite posted:

Good, but his earlier stuff (Stalingrad, Berlin, Spanish Civil War) is better than his newer stuff.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Monocled Falcon posted:

What's that book you talk about, Cyrano the one with the german POW who doesn't like Hitler but thinks the final solution was awesome.

Defer to Cyrano for obvious reasons but pretty sure it's Soldaten, now Soldiers: German POWs on fighting, killing,
And dying https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007QPH5FK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481509414&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=soldaten

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

Defer to Cyrano for obvious reasons but pretty sure it's Soldaten, now Soldiers: German POWs on fighting, killing,
And dying https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007QPH5FK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481509414&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=soldaten

I'm not the one who's always pimping it but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

wdarkk posted:

It just occurred to me that it's quite possible that a war in the near future might result in people who played World of Tanks/War Thunder commanding real tanks against each other.

I hope that if it happens, someone records it.

I've got a friend who drives an Abrams that I play War Thunder with.

The future is now.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i know, one branch of my family was in the ACW. they were cryptojews who settled in the border and they joined both armies. cav, mostly.

cryptojews = hidden jews? I'm thinking cryptozoology here

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nebakenezzer posted:

cryptojews = hidden jews? I'm thinking cryptozoology here

Jews practicing taqiyya pretending to be Christian so they wouldn't get pogromed by [local citizenry].

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I'm a regular history nerd experimenting with becoming a military history nerd. What's a good, visual book on the Napoleonic wars? I listened to a great Audible bio about the man himself a while back but its hard for me to understand the actual battles themselves in that format. I need like, maps and poo poo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Medium Tank Mk.II

Queue: Light Tank M2, Combat Car T4, Char B, TK-3, Medium Tank Mk.II, Medium Tank Mk.III, KH-50 et al, PzIV,
PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951 NEW

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis NEW

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 12, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Do T-55 again! Also, anything to do with Pz.III, the sexy medium panzer (Tiger I still a BBT waifu)

ED: our history teacher had a way of promoting critical thinking or at the cery least thinking about the context of the events that are happening.

As far as Lithuania goes, either you're smart and you finish 12 grades, then go to uni, or you're some idiot who went to a trade/technical school or collage (dunno if the kolegija is the same thing) or worse: finish the mandated 10 grades and then go technical. Less then 10 grades means that you steal metal for a living, beat your partner (sugyventine is a woman-you-live-with-unmarried, a word usually used in news about domestic violence) and the cops know you very well. Recently, the two offshoots of this are "you're an idiot if you don't study abroad" and "you're an idiot if you study, rah rah rah startup spirit".

It's kinda hosed is what I'm saying.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 12, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Medium and High Capacity Bombs are the theme of the day with two notable examples on display. The Tallboy and Grand Slam are both included, as well some more obscure stuff.

Why was the MC 500lb Bomb Mk V not used in service? What could be attached to the nose of bombs, and what purpose did it serve? How were the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs built? And how fast could a Grand Slam travel; how fast could it rotate? Derp, that's next update How were the 12,000 pound bombs built?

All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 19, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Cryptojews? I'd been aware of them as part of the Diaspora but thought that was kind of over with by the time of the ACW. Were they like really-really deep cover, like they'd been nominally [majority religion] since the Spanish expulsion or something? Or was it a more recent thing?

Fuligin posted:

Right. I just take exception to the idea that they wouldn't even recognize non Mongols as human. It reminds me of that old bs about Aztecs having their minds broken by Spanish caravels because for some reason big boats with sails are just too goddamn crazy to comprehend

This one makes a little bit of sense to me, given the sensationalism of the primary sources and of current pop history. I'd willingly believe that the Aztecs (or Tlaxcallans? who actually lived on the shores where Cortez landed?) saw the Spanish ships and went "Jesus Tezcatlipoca-gently caress! That's a big canoe" and also, if they weren't familiar with sails: "And what's all that white cloth they've got on top of 'em?! Where are the oars?!"

Sort of like the first couple Allied pilots to see the ME-262 in action. Shocked less by the unfamiliar object and more by the implications of what it looked like and could do.

e2: ^^^^^ is all Hardcore History-level conjecture with no consultation whatsoever with any primary or secondary sources. I didn't even watch Apocalypto all the way through, just got to the part where the guy rubbed peppers on his junk.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 12, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

my dad posted:

All the drat time. Civil wars and revolts had brothers fighting brothers all too frequently and in the most literal sense of the word. Random example I can think of from WW2, some fathers would send a son to join the partizans, and another to join the chetniks, to maximize the chance of at least a part of the family surviving.

Indeed, during the English Civil War gentry families would send one son to fight for one side and one for the other to hedge their bets (since if your family backed the losing side, you were likely to have your estate confiscated). Unfortunately, as it turned out Parliament won and then a decade later there was the Restoration, so you could still end up hosed either way if you were unlucky.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

JcDent posted:

As far as Lithuania goes, either you're smart and you finish 12 grades, then go to uni, or you're some idiot who went to a trade/technical school or collage (dunno if the kolegija is the same thing) or worse: finish the mandated 10 grades and then go technical. Less then 10 grades means that you steal metal for a living, beat your partner (sugyventine is a woman-you-live-with-unmarried, a word usually used in news about domestic violence) and the cops know you very well. Recently, the two offshoots of this are "you're an idiot if you don't study abroad" and "you're an idiot if you study, rah rah rah startup spirit".

It's kinda hosed is what I'm saying.
If it's of any interest to you, then Australia was the same.
If you're smart, you score high in 12th grade exams and go to university.
If you stay until 12th grade but do badly your options are go to trade/tech school, do an apprenticeship with an employer directly hiring you (they organise and send you to trade school), or repeat subjects in night school while working menial jobs and have a go at university later.

20 years ago you could leave at year 10 and have the same options as someone who did badly at 12th grade, ie trade or tech college, but the government has been pushing since back then to make grade 12 the minimum for entry into anything and shutting down many tech and trade schools to make it harder. So you need yr 12 to even get into trade school these days if self applying. But before that restriction many people made big money skipping 11th and 12th grade, going straight into trade/tech schools and getting into construction and resources industries as we had lots of poo poo to dig up and to build in Australia.
E: your "sugyventine" is called "de facto" here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mantis42 posted:

So I'm a regular history nerd experimenting with becoming a military history nerd. What's a good, visual book on the Napoleonic wars? I listened to a great Audible bio about the man himself a while back but its hard for me to understand the actual battles themselves in that format. I need like, maps and poo poo.

Depends on what you are looking at. Do you want tactics and operations? Campaign overviews? Theater-level books? Grand strategy? The Man Himself? There isn't really One Good Book.
A couple things by David G Chandler are decent: "On the Napoleonic Wars" covers a bunch of engagements and is pretty interesting, but very light on the overall strategy - more about tactics and operations in different battles in different phases of the war. It has some maps.
"The Campaigns of Napoleon" is also quite good, focused more on the man.
"Napoleon's Invasion of Russia" by George Hereford is rather decent, I think, but I don't know how far the scholarship has progressed since then, and it may be difficult to find. This is in the "campaign overview" category of books.
"Swords Around A Throne" by John Elting is loving incredible, focused entirely on the Grand Armee, but it is not a good starting point.

edit:

A couple others I thought of. "The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon" is supposedly fairly decent as a survey on the evolution of warfare during the timeperiod but having read Swords Around A Throne it seems like it would be redundant for me. Chandler's "Napoleon's Marshals" is good. There's a new book of the same title by another guy, not sure if it's an improvement or not.

There are also a bunch of books on tactics, mostly for tabletop wargaming nerds. Full of pictures, most seem to be accurate enough for an intro, but they're not going to talk about much from an operational let alone strategic perspective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

You had some terrible intro history profs. You have to start hammering critical thinking and analysis there so students are actually capable of it for a upper level seminar.

I hated university because of this. A lot of other reasons as well, but I hated that I couldn't argue "Why the gently caress are we studying whether it was pamphlets or magazines that caused the French Revolution. Why am I being told all this poo poo and not being told anything about the Revolution itself." That and everyone expecting you to know dates for everything. Say what you will about Wikipedia being poo poo, it often is, but for timelines alone I found it invaluable.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Cryptojews? I'd been aware of them as part of the Diaspora but thought that was kind of over with by the time of the ACW. Were they like really-really deep cover, like they'd been nominally [majority religion] since the Spanish expulsion or something?
yes they were! they left spain, went to Germany, "converted" to the Dunker religion, and from Germany went to America. I found tons of them in Confederate rolls, Augustus or Frederich Spanishname, it was great.

Edit: the last member of my family who did not eat pork, but by then I'm not sure they knew why, was my grandfather's grandmother. Which is a pretty long time to keep the chain going.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ulmont posted:

I'm the one who is always pimping this book because it's great, and yes, it has devoted Nazis who think the Jews are getting a bum deal and outspoken opponents who say "you know, the one thing the Fuhrer has got absolutely right is the response to the Jewish problem". It's not all they talk about, either.

Who wanted movie recommendations? If you want to see what Blackadder Goes Forth would have been like if the French had made it, a French movie called "Black and White in Colour" is currently available on a popular video-sharing website with subtitles; in which a French border village in a colony in Africa receives news of the war at New Year 1915, immediately declares war on the identical German-administered village across the border, and hilarity ensues while the locals poke fun at the stupid white people.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

yes they were! they left spain, went to Germany, "converted" to the Dunker religion, and from Germany went to America. I found tons of them in Confederate rolls, Augustus or Frederich Spanishname, it was great.

Edit: the last member of my family who did not eat pork, but by then I'm not sure they knew why, was my grandfather's grandmother. Which is a pretty long time to keep the chain going.

. . . And that confederate musterschreiber's name was Cpl. Hyronimous Mendelsohn HeyGal

You are making more sense by the second :v
Out of curiosity what state were they in?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm the one who is always pimping this book because it's great, and yes, it has devoted Nazis who think the Jews are getting a bum deal and outspoken opponents who say "you know, the one thing the Fuhrer has got absolutely right is the response to the Jewish problem". It's not all they talk about, either.

Let's look at the one star reviews!

Readers expecting a collection of war experiences from German soldiers will find instead a psychological nalysis of soldiers and officers who have witnessed or taken part in mass extermination of Jews and civilian resistance fighters during World War II. After a few pages it wears on the psyche.

Let's stop looking at the one star reviews!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, there's probably way worse reviews than someone saying that reading about witnessing genocide wears on the psyche.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I mean, there's probably way worse reviews than someone saying that reading about witnessing genocide wears on the psyche.

There are only 4 one stars. The top one is the worse because it goes "It's very one sided for all these books to keep pointing out how we did war crimes"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Josef bugman posted:

There are only 4 one stars. The top one is the worse because it goes "It's very one sided for all these books to keep pointing out how we did war crimes"

I'm not a fan at all of Angel Merkel but I still appreciate the fact she said that Germany did in fact do the Holocaust and was remorseful about it when Bibi tried to pin the blame on the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Time Commanders Series 3 preview!

It's heart warming to see the old professor is even back.

Josef bugman posted:

"Wa wa, I'm a Nazi and I'm so siiiicck of you guys mentioning waaaaaar crrriiiimmeeeeesss all the time!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There was an article posted in the Eastern Europe DnD thread a while back about two Scandanavian neo-Nazis who were friends but joined different sides in the Ukrainian conflict- although both were insistent that the real root cause was, of course, the Jews.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What bastards.

Anywho, lets talk about more endearing people instead. Today I read the war brief diary extract of a British soldier in the Boer War. Hop topics? marching, more marching, loss of quality boots/trousers. Not enough food. Poor chum died of wounds from the previous battle (we had a battle, I was tired). More marching. God we need more food. What a lovely painful march, MUST SMILE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

On the face of it sure, but what are you expecting from German soldiers talking about their past? It's kinda gross to me that someone could be looking for a nice light read about what German soldiers on the Eastern Front, and that that sort of thing probably is common enough that what he got was a surprise.