Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

No, I don't. They definitely catch my interest when people post about them, and I really wish I could have gotten one of those $20 packs with the system and games. I'm sure I'll get one eventually. It'll be a lot of fun exploring games I've never heard of.

I have an NGPC but when I last looked all the games l looked expensive... Am I looking in the wrong places (e.g. eBay) or at the wrong games, or the wrong country (I'm in the UK)?

Alternatively a flash cart recommendation would be as good or even better :)

(I got an NGPC ages ago when they were released in the UK and they were pretty cheap immediately but promptly vanished when SNK went bust and all games became expensive immediately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The games are relatively cheap compared to some other stuff, but you're still going to be paying solid chunks of money for most of the major stuff like Sonic or the fighting games. Magical Drop is always dirt cheap though. It is a really cool system though and I really want to get another one after the battery compartment on my last one got hosed up. Also it's another thing to replace a save battery in.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Some good NGPC games are still relatively cheap (Sonic, Dark Arms, King of Fighters). The two best games are in the $20-30 range (SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium, Cardfighters' Clash), and a few neat titles are indeed expensive (The Last Blade, Ganbare Neo Poke-kun).

Everything seems to get more expensive each time I check, though. Maybe now's the time to grab one. Even if you don't have a game to put in the system, you can get your horoscope!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I did get one of the $20 packs and half of the "expansion" kit back then, so I own all the expensive games, including an ESRB marked Faselei!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

legooolas posted:

I have an NGPC but when I last looked all the games l looked expensive... Am I looking in the wrong places (e.g. eBay) or at the wrong games, or the wrong country (I'm in the UK)?

Alternatively a flash cart recommendation would be as good or even better :)

(I got an NGPC ages ago when they were released in the UK and they were pretty cheap immediately but promptly vanished when SNK went bust and all games became expensive immediately)

http://www.flashmasta.com/product/neo-pocket-flash-masta-usb-32mbit/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Of course there is a neo geo pocket flash cart.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The NGPC version of neo turf masters is pretty great

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think neo geo is the only console I have without a flash cart that is cartridge based. Oh Jaguar 64 but I own the games worth owning

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Maybe the NGPC scene will pick up and I'll be able to some day sell off my Hanshin Tigers one for more than I paid for it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I did get one of the $20 packs and half of the "expansion" kit back then, so I own all the expensive games, including an ESRB marked Faselei!

Also have Faselei!, but I paid considerably more at the time for a complete in clamshell version so good on you to get the expansion pack one.

Match of the Millennium is the best handheld fighter.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
I would love an NGPC, but that garbage screen has to be frontlit. Has anyone made a replacement backlit screen for it more like the AGS-101?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Blackchamber posted:

Also have Faselei!, but I paid considerably more at the time for a complete in clamshell version so good on you to get the expansion pack one.

Match of the Millennium is the best handheld fighter.

True on all counts. But when idiots on EBay were dropping 150-220 for the English language version I bought it from a UK webshop for like 35 or so shipped. It's a decent little SRPG/programming game hybrid.

The Ngpc has the best control pad/stick ever made.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What on earth is a reasonable price to sell a special edition copy of Rockman.EXE 4.5: Real Operation? Mine's the edition that came with five promotional chips (Starman.exe, Z-Saber, etc.) and the Blues-themed chipgate. The only issue with any of it is that one of the plastic covers on the box for where the chips are displayed is torn.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Star Man posted:

What on earth is a reasonable price to sell a special edition copy of Rockman.EXE 4.5: Real Operation? Mine's the edition that came with five promotional chips (Starman.exe, Z-Saber, etc.) and the Blues-themed chipgate. The only issue with any of it is that one of the plastic covers on the box for where the chips are displayed is torn.

Realtalk: pm me in 30 days

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Captain Rufus posted:

The Ngpc has the best control pad/stick ever made.

I remember the Giant Bombcast got to talking about the NGPC one time and someone said you could tell it was designed by fighting game players. That stick is so crisp and precise its actually a portable system that you can actually get a good fighting game on.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It was designed by fighting game makers, also probably the same people responsible for this:

though the NGPC stick is even better as it doesn't have the 100% failure rate of those neo-geo pads, they're nice while they last though. if your really like the concept they made a PS2 version of it without the whole "incredibly failure prone" part and a 6-button layout, it's great for when you're too lazy to sit up with a proper stick

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 11, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Could you elaborate on the failure rate of those controllers?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Could you elaborate on the failure rate of those controllers?

the sticks break like N64 analog sticks have a reputation for only it's like guaranteed to happen no matter what, because they're so poorly designed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What makes the design so fragile?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Something to do with the switches inside the stick getting gummed up with crap somehow, there are many youtube videos of people fixing these. You have to take the whole thing apart and take the switches apart to clean them. And you can't get replacement switches.

XYZ fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

d0s posted:

It was designed by fighting game makers, also probably the same people responsible for this:

though the NGPC stick is even better as it doesn't have the 100% failure rate of those neo-geo pads, they're nice while they last though. if your really like the concept they made a PS2 version of it without the whole "incredibly failure prone" part and a 6-button layout, it's great for when you're too lazy to sit up with a proper stick

I can't find it for sale anywhere but they did make a version of the pad for PS3:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/snk-releases-neo-geo-pad-for-ps3/

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

XYZ posted:

Something to do with the switches inside the stick getting gummed up with crap somehow, there are many youtube videos of people fixing these. You have to take the whole thing apart and take the switches apart to clean them. And you can't get replacement switches.

I can vouch for that, as I have an AES system with a pad that went bad after 7 years in storage.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, I tried to fix a NGCD pad once and that didn't go so well. I'm not sure what I expected since any attempt by me to repair something usually ends in disaster, but the guide I was following said it was "an easy fix" so I gave it a shot.

The good news was that I fixed the problem I was having, because moving left worked again. The bad news was that none of the other directions worked any longer. :downsgun:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Looks like game-tech is going to be selling 40 UltraHDMI kits for the N64 on his site at 7pm EST today, one kit per person. Hopefully the site stays up longer than during the initial Hi-Def NES launch.

https://www.game-tech.us/product/ultrahdmi-upgrade-kit-1080p-for-your-n64/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume a whole big batch came in for a lot of folks, because yeah those long dormant feelers I had placed out looking for UltraHDMI news suddenly came alive. Here's hoping all goes well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you can't get one I've been friends with kevtris for like 15 years now and can probably work something out whenever he does another batch

Edit: derp, n64 hdmi never mind

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

UnhandledException posted:

I would love an NGPC, but that garbage screen has to be frontlit. Has anyone made a replacement backlit screen for it more like the AGS-101?

As far as I know the only lighted screen mod is to take the frontlight (and film) from an AGS-001 and cut it down and cram it in there. Which is why I am thankful for my desk lamp with a strong compact cfl bulb in it because drat it looks like a fiddly mod to say the least.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Nate RFB posted:

I assume a whole big batch came in for a lot of folks, because yeah those long dormant feelers I had placed out looking for UltraHDMI news suddenly came alive. Here's hoping all goes well.

From what I've heard, Marshall's been working on replacing kits from a bad batch for a while, then fulfilling batches of pre-orders from a couple modding sites. This is the first batch in almost a year that is being sold to the general public.

Managed to snag one, at least it didn't take an hour like last time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have a dilemma!

My stepdad just called and was like "You know what I want for Christmas? Tecmo Bowl. Make it happen."

I would just buy an NES Classic... if they weren't going for MORE than an NES second hand. So I'm just going to give him my front-loader. His TV only takes HDMI/component input so what's a good upscaler I could buy in the next two weeks that won't break the bank and is good enough for a 40-something year old man who just wants to wreck the computer AI once or twice before never touching it again?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

al-azad posted:

I have a dilemma!

My stepdad just called and was like "You know what I want for Christmas? Tecmo Bowl. Make it happen."

I would just buy an NES Classic... if they weren't going for MORE than an NES second hand. So I'm just going to give him my front-loader. His TV only takes HDMI/component input so what's a good upscaler I could buy in the next two weeks that won't break the bank and is good enough for a 40-something year old man who just wants to wreck the computer AI once or twice before never touching it again?

Framemeister.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

al-azad posted:

I have a dilemma!

Retropie.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I have a dilemma!

You sure his TV doesn't take composite over the green plug on the component input? It seems to be a common thing to have it do double duty, rather than including a dedicated composite AV port...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Also it should have an RF tuner still, he won't notice the quality drop.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I found $3,400 in a jar labeled "Kids college fund" so here I go with a Framemeister!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You sure his TV doesn't take composite over the green plug on the component input? It seems to be a common thing to have it do double duty, rather than including a dedicated composite AV port...

I don't know off the top of my head, probably, but I also want the game to look adequate. He probably won't care but I will.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I don't know off the top of my head, probably, but I also want the game to look adequate. He probably won't care but I will.

Is your NES RGB-modded or anything like that? Because if it isn't, you'll be limited to composite video, and it'll be scaled-up "poopoo in, poopoo out" quality anyway.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Someone posted about a cheap ok Amazon scaler aaaages ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Someone posted about a cheap ok Amazon scaler aaaages ago.

Yeah, that's actually why I'm posting. If there's no good options and the TV has RF I'll just give him the toploader.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

Yeah, that's actually why I'm posting. If there's no good options and the TV has RF I'll just give him the toploader.

Why not retropie?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If all he wants is to smoke a Tecmo Bowl, go to your nearest closet and pull out the OG Wii stuffed in there, and get component cables for it online if needed. Pick up Tecmo Bowl for 500 Wii Points because those are still a thing, or softmod it. As a bonus, if he really wants a true NES controller you can just get one of the ones intended for the NES Classic once they stopped being scalped for triple digits and it'll work there. This is in all likelihood your least expensive solution, not to mention dead simple (and difficult to break in exotic ways), and gives you wireless controllers which work very reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Why not retropie?

Because I already have a bunch of NES' sitting around? Not ruling it out as an option I'll just have to look into it. It may be what I want if next year he's like "Yo bro, Tecmo Super Bowl?"

• Locked thread