Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Subjunctive posted:

People stop holding their breath because of the CO2 levels, not because of lack of oxygen. It's a reaction in the lungs that happens well before blood oxygen is depleted.

I was going to mention that some long-term COPD patients operate primarily on hypoxic drive but apparently that's been debunked. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Regalingualius posted:

I remember some story about an EMT goon dealing with a dispatcher who got really anal-retentive about using that phrase until they retorted with something to the effect of "his head is in a different room than the rest of his body".

I think that was me, from back when I was a 911 dispatcher. I dispatched the call as a db or whatever code we were using at the time for a dead body, and got poo poo because how could I be sure from the neighbor's phone call that the subject was dead?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

60-120 seconds? Oh hell we'd be so fired over here for that. Where I'm at, if we were to find someone in cardiac arrest, specifically asystole (or, flat-lined basically), we have to work them for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes the patient hasn't responded to any of the treatments we've done, we can radio medical control, explain the situation, and then we can cease efforts. Even in this instance, we need to make sure the doc is ok with it.

My youngest brother used to work at a state mental facility used for housing sex offenders. He found a client dead during a bed check one night, and he was clearly not living. His supervisor made him perform CPR on a corpse for over 30 minutes until the doctors arrived. He quit the next week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CaptBushido posted:

I was under the impression that determining scientific death is actually a really touchy and philosophical subject. Like, someone can be cold on the ground for an hour but there could still be brain stem or cardiovascular activity because the body doesn't have a giant "off" switch, no matter how bad it gets hosed up, and the systems tend to shut down in a slow systematic manner.

Like I'm not denying that it's pretty loving obvious when someone won't be coming back, but just that "calling it" because you can't pick up a pulse can in some rare instances medically and legally be a very bad move.

I think the big issue is that if a paramedic tries to call death on the scene early, they could accidentally call death on someone who can be saved or otherwise make the decision that nothing further can be done and cease life saving, inadvertently resulting in the person's death due to a lack of continued treatment.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you really like suffering you'll love the Cleveland Browns.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I don't live in the US & have no idea what's going on here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Former EMT here. We can't legally declare someone dead. However, the rule is different in every single state. In the state I worked you could stop a code then call the time of death in to the doctor at a nearby hospital. You could declare someone dead and didn't have to write anything but "patient has injury incompatible with life" etc.. The coroner then issued the death certificate based on the time you recorded.

Also, there are times when people are dead and we still try to revive them. This mostly has to do with the fact that it's very distressing to nearby family members to have EMS show up walk in and go " Yeah, this guy is dead . Okay well see you later you need to call the coroner".

Like regardless of how much lividity a baby showed from a crib dead or SIDS. You transport. The rules for children are different. Unless it's mass casualty etc.. you always transport and work children. It's simply because you don't want to be in a situation where you have to look at parents and tell them their child is dead and there is nothing you can do.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Chichevache posted:

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

I thought the browns had a dog as their mascot? Is that a keebler elf?!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

verymoldy posted:

I thought the browns had a dog as their mascot? Is that a keebler elf?!

More or less, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(folklore)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Looks like a brownie. It's a sort of elf.

EDIT: :argh:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Beeswax posted:

Browns try a trick-play in a situation where all conventional wisdom says to run between the tackles. They end up turning the ball over and almost getting their chronically injured quarterback crucified.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Standard Browns loving up in the best way possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkjOrYv1Gk

And one of the best fan shot reactions ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUq0Gj3ANjQ

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Standard Browns loving up in the best way possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkjOrYv1Gk

That reaction is fantastic. God hates Cleveland.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Tony Phillips posted:

I was there for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xttADsZDFvY

All three WSU quarterbacks were injured of the course of the game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beeswax posted:

The Cleveland Browns are the American equivalent of the Melbourne Demons in almost every way.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
You can currently get tickets to see the Browns for like $6.

It's still not worth it.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Animal fails. You'll believe a dog can fly.
https://youtu.be/4s9VpBu_Uvg

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Geocities Homepage King posted:

You can currently get tickets to see the Browns for like $6.

It's still not worth it.

I was in Detroit for work for a couple of months the season after they went 0-16 and got free tickets off of Craigslist for a game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
http://i.imgur.com/XFtFDSL.gifv

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Like... what was the original goal? Best case scenario, what's the outcome?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When in doubt, it's a sex thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

omnibobb posted:

he drives the bike into that man's bum

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

omnibobb posted:

"I bet you can't ride that dirt bike up my dirt box'.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

omnibobb posted:

Pff. Lookit this nerd who has never driven a dirt bike into a friends rectum. :rolleyes:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

swordfish duelist posted:

Pff. Lookit this nerd who has never driven a dirt bike into a friends rectum. :rolleyes:

I was too busy shoving comic books and video games into my friends bum.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

omnibobb posted:

I was too busy shoving comic books and video games into my friends bum.

Wanna hang out sometime?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

swordfish duelist posted:

Wanna hang out sometime?

check your pms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/jyhVcFK.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm Whitey McSpats who comes in for the fun and stays for the assault

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Was that an unsuccessful robbery?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jamfrost posted:

Was that an unsuccessful robbery?

I think it's fair to say that he's not exactly DB Cooper.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good to see the universal rule of "hang on, everyone pause while I get my shoe back on first" still applies in robbery situations as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

I think it's fair to say that he's not exactly DB Cooper.

He dead.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The ultimate getaway

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FCKGW posted:

Good to see the universal rule of "hang on, everyone pause while I get my shoe back on first" still applies in robbery situations as well.

That was amazing :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This gif is a wild ride. Goddamn.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

My favorite part is how, in dollar value, they almost certainly did more damage to the store "apprehending" the dude than he even robbed them for

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This was great, but it turned magical when the customer just loving bonked him with the cardboard display.