Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I only played one game to completion but I couldn't disagree more. It felt like someone's custom map using Dota assets it was so different.

:shrug: Like we're still hitting creeps and fighting outside the rosh pit and diving towers. Now I have +15% magic resistance instead of +2 stats but that doesn't feel like a big change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Definitely just nutted in my jorts thinking about bloodseeker with new mask of madness

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Patch seems real good and seeing the whining here and elsewhere only confirms that for me.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I don't understand the hype around new mask of madness, isn't it basically the same as old mask but now it silences you?

Also it's weird seeing JPJ freak out about the game being moved toward an arena brawler type game because every patch since 6.82 has been moving it in that direction. At some point you need to throw up your arms and realize that Valve ruined a perfectly interesting and complicated game but also that they did that a long loving time ago. Hard carries are now more useless than ever, get used to playing Ogre every game from now on.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Reinstalling. I haven't been this excited for Dota since I got into the early days of the beta.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Angrymantium posted:

I don't understand the hype around new mask of madness, isn't it basically the same as old mask but now it silences you?

new mask of madness is undispellable and makes you take more physical damage because of the -5 armor and silences you and does not increase magical or pure damage at all, also when you buy the recipe you lose the damage from the morbid mask

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

-5 armor is not the same thing as "25% bonus damage taken"

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

violent sex idiot posted:

new mask of madness is undispellable and makes you take more physical damage because of the -5 armor and silences you and does not increase magical or pure damage at all, also when you buy the recipe you lose the damage from the morbid mask

Radical posted:

-5 armor is not the same thing as "25% bonus damage taken"

Oh poo poo that's big. Time to start playing carry spirit breaker again

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

violent sex idiot posted:

Provides:
+15% Lifesteal
+15 Damage
Active ability - Berserk

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

more like dICK posted:

Provides:
+15% Lifesteal
+15 Damage
Active ability - Berserk

im stupid

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

:same:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

where do i go to complain about a really stupid choice in the interface: on the pre game screen where you buy poo poo you can see obs and courier purchase but not sentries or smokes

edit: purchased by your team

jsoh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 12, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Angrymantium posted:

Also it's weird seeing JPJ freak out about the game being moved toward an arena brawler type game because every patch since 6.82 has been moving it in that direction. At some point you need to throw up your arms and realize that Valve ruined a perfectly interesting and complicated game but also that they did that a long loving time ago. Hard carries are now more useless than ever, get used to playing Ogre every game from now on.

People got bored of the long rear end passive farm for 40mins meta so IceFrog and Valve pushed the game towards quicker games and more things to do early game. :shrug:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's indisputable fact that the longer the game goes the more exciting it gets sooo

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

incorrect

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

should have changed something to even up melee and ranged barracks so ranged arent worthless tbh imo

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When dota shows mana for enemy heroes the game will have truly jumped the shark.

So, any day now.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Ragingsheep posted:

People got bored of the long rear end passive farm for 40mins meta so IceFrog and Valve pushed the game towards quicker games and more things to do early game. :shrug:

There might be a middle ground between passive farmfests and the absolute davai meta that we've been moving toward. Carries don't have anywhere close to the game impact they used, and the emphasis on teamwork sounds good except if you're a solo queue player and suddenly you start losing games because dragging the four idiots randomly assigned to you to a win just got much harder and more painful. It shows in tournaments too where games are usually won early by supports rotating on mid or the safelane, and games have generally shifted 100% away from farmfests to the poo poo in Boston where both teams would constantly walk around in smoke hoping to catch one hero off guard.

Whether you think brawling from minute one is good or simplistic, the impact of an individual player is way below where it was anywhere around or before TI3. With RTS' also dying out as a genre there isn't really anywhere for people that enjoyed older dota patches to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

It takes away being able to skip abilities for stats which was important on some heroes and comedy builds

i'm glad cuz the burning build was dumb as poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zoolooman posted:

Suppose this game is objectively worse with this patch and you are 100% correct--these changes are for the worst.

That's cool. It makes you more insightful than the average player, and it shows that you appreciate more depth and competition.

However, the community will probably enjoy playing the inferior game. For the last three patches, public opinion has mostly been "this is the best patch ever," and this next patch is set up to continue the previous trends. It's likely that people will be genuinely happy with their increasingly inferior game.

So I ask you this--at what point do you consider Dota a lost cause? When will you stop fighting with people for enjoying their delusions of competition?

I'm not trying to be smug or clever. Like, it's *okay to hate change* and doubly so when that change removes a skill that you've invested in. I'm trying to suggest that at some point, if Dota has fallen this far, there must come a day where it's not worth all this energy to argue about it.

I think that opinion is mostly shared by the people who only watch TI or Majors or whatever. And I'm not sure wholesale copying a game that came out dead (HOTS) is a smart idea.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Kinda shocked at the lack of Radiance and illusion nerfs but I'll wait to see how the pro meta establishes over the coming weeks.

That being said, MK with a Radiance is apparently a thing and the only real counter is to raze your half of the map.

Xtansic needs to make a new thread.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Centaur satyrs are ugly

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm glad cuz the burning build was dumb as poo poo.

Juggernaut won't be able to omnislash + spin now without the point in stats. :rip:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Hahaha monkey king's Q gets the damage buff from his passive + ult this is the dumbest thing ever. close to 300 physical damage nuke at level 2. 700+ at level 7.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Kild posted:

I think that opinion is mostly shared by the people who only watch TI or Majors or whatever. And I'm not sure wholesale copying a game that came out dead (HOTS) is a smart idea.

Talents aren't why HOTS failed. That's just silly. :P

And that opinion is usually spoken by the analysts, casters, and Redditors. I don't know if those are only TI watchers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just played a couple games and it's super fun. This game is super fun now.

I'm gonna start working out a dota science build for Doom, in a game where talents now exist and talents are as hilarious as they are, a hero with an inherent Midas has to have a place. My last game I played with him I was level 17 at 17 minutes and I solokilled four enemies before eventually dying to the T2 tower I was diving.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One change that is undeniably good: now the loading phase is like 10 seconds max so no waiting 2 minutes on some dude whose toaster crashed on him.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

It's indisputable fact that the longer the game goes the more exciting it gets sooo

you must have forgotten all the major 90 minute snoozefests we had at multiple TI's then. Long games can be good. Long games are not good by nature.

the major power spikes everyone gets at 25 now is definitely gonna change how late game plays out bigtime

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

but they didn't start ruining the game until after TI4 with its 80minute grand finals

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zurreco posted:

Kinda shocked at the lack of Radiance and illusion nerfs but I'll wait to see how the pro meta establishes over the coming weeks.

What? Illusions got brutally murdered

quote:

Illusions provide 5 + Level Gold and XP
Illusions attack damage penalty against buildings increased from 30% to 50%
Magic Resistance bonuses no longer work on Illusions.

Taffer posted:

you must have forgotten all the major 90 minute snoozefests we had at multiple TI's then. Long games can be good. Long games are not good by nature.
Those were in the absolutely extreme minority though. I'd say TI3 had a lot more varied gameplay than the boston major. 6.88 has been a dumpster fire of 5manning and/or illusionspam.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 12, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheRat posted:

What? Illusions got brutally murdered

radiance got -10 overall and an additional -10 when coming from an illusion. So radi illusions only do 40dps instead of the previous 50 (and the previous-previous 60)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zoolooman posted:

Talents aren't why HOTS failed. That's just silly. :P

And that opinion is usually spoken by the analysts, casters, and Redditors. I don't know if those are only TI watchers.

I'd say it was about half the reason with the other half being the shared global exp.

Most redditors don't play and most casters + analysts don't play regularly either outside like the pros/ex-pros and Capitalist.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Zurreco posted:

That being said, MK with a Radiance is apparently a thing and the only real counter is to raze your half of the map.

Xtansic needs to make a new thread.

I've shitposted at you about this before so now I'll make a polite shitpost.

Your draconian approach to nerfs to what I assume is things you do not like seeing in pro games (I sincerely doubt you've encountered these problems much at whatever MMR you play at) is pure kneejerk. You have, in the past, called for wholesale turning off of items on certain abilities. No Battle Fury on Ember and no Radiance on illusions being the two big ones. I don't think you appreciate, or care, how much this would ruin the heroes and items you're mentioning. Ember Spirit has two broad power peaks, generally speaking: early game with level 4 Flame Guard and two or more levels in Searing Chains, where his spell damage is sufficient to rack up kills when enemies are still low level, and Battle Fury/crit Sleight of Fist later on in the game. The hero depends on that item to have any sort of impact in team fights because his right click is pure trash and Sleight is his only real source of damage past 30 minutes. If you take away Battle Fury working on Sleight, you need to redesign the hero. What Icefrog did, instead, is take away the one advantage Ember had that could not be countered: remnants giving vision. A remnant in the Rosh pit gave 30 seconds of perfect information that could not be countered in any way. If the remnant was there, it gave vision. The only other ability that gave that kind of uncounterable vision is Rocket Flare and that one is essentially the main purpose of the ability unlike remnants, which were map-long instant teleport beacons that also happened to give vision for incredibly long. Once that nerf hit, Ember Spirit became a niche pick in pro games. Now we have a 33% damage nerf on Radiance illusions and illusions themselves giving away bounties. That's pretty huge. It's not a complete shutdown of the concept of Radiance illusions but it's a big hit, and a better approach that essentially making Radiance a Wraith King item and another target for redesign.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoolooman posted:

I don't have an answer. Maybe the game needs to end faster? We'd have to ask Icefrog, seriously.

JPJ, set aside all the bullshit when I was a mod. If I'd been a regular poster, there was a time where I would've been banned for constantly shitposting about the direction TF2 took in 2009. The Heavy became really powerful, and the game was genuinely worse for me in pubs. I was furious about it and argued to everyone forever, and I asked the same question. Why change it?

Later, I learned that it was because the Heavy just genuinely sucked to play for normal players, and buffing him was the only viable fix. Before the change, he was a trap to make newbies miserable. That was the entire justification, and I sincerely never enjoyed the game as much again. Now, I spent years arguing about it, wishing it'd go back. I wish I'd just moved on a lot earlier. I didn't until Dota became a thing.

Like, it loving sucks. Not gonna lie, and not gonna moralize about embracing change or some poo poo. They changed it for some reason, and if it left us out in the cold, it just sucks.

I understand that DotA was too difficult for regulars and it's a game where you're supposed to be loving clueless and learning all the little things, year after year, and always finding more is the niche I found this game wonderful and sunk countless hours into.

So yes, I'm being trite, but there's literally LoL and HotS for anyone who wants hero arena.

Icefrog has clearly given the reason for the changes: He thought ratting was fundamentally frustrating and despite it taking lots of skill to pull off as a team, he didn't want that frustration to be a part of his game. He also hated how failing to push high ground 3x in a row didn't change the outcome of games because they already had such huge leads.

And don't pretend comeback gold compares to how the game used to be. At 10 minutes every loving game I'm a 700g purse and I've ganked the other team enough that they're on their heels 5 manning behind t2s.... but my pub experience EVERY drat game is "oh look that guy made space here let me afk solo farm" and then we spend the next 20 minutes losing, despite there being a 10k net worth lead on our side, until we eventually lose. That poo poo is more frustrating than getting ratted by pros ever was, but it's what we've got now. You can't play with a lead unless your team is ultra coordinated. It's a really silly mechanic, and given this new patch, everything is going to revolve even more around whose 5v5 is better on paper since farming is hardly an issue like it used to be.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Cuntellectual posted:

Centaur satyrs are ugly

my game defaulted to like some 50% render quality poo poo

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

JollyPubJerk posted:

https://gfycat.com/SentimentalEqualAllosaurus

No I don't save old heatmaps. I'm not that invested in proving what I experience as 60% of the people I play with only speak spanish now when that number used to be like 20%.

But Reborn and the comeback gold were the two biggest hits to old-timers and NA players.

Holy poo poo look at Peru :stare:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoolooman posted:

I like the changes FWIW, I was just answering his sentiment because it was an honest one. I think you have something, but I doubt money is the sole factor behind the design changes.

I don't think it's money as much as Icefrog just wants his game to appeal to the masses and be around forever. I can wholly understand why casuals would like this change. But pandering to casuals isn't how DotA became a 15+ year game and that definitely is a new direction.

Taffer posted:

Because without changes the game and the playstyle stagnates and people lose interest. We all know you're mad that BS can't jungle anymore but it's time to move on

My BS jungle got buffed, for the record.

Angrymantium posted:

I have been bitching ever since comeback gold.. There is no new realization here.

Thing is, they used to patch on like a bi-monthly basis where most changes were stat tweaks and +1cd, etc. etc. enough to get metagames to shift pretty hard, but leaving the diverse array of strategies in place. We're moving towards x item/skill hard counters y item/skill and z player casts first, followed by a player or else you lose teamfight, and positioning is a lost cause with every hero having max ms all the time. This is the poo poo that starcraft moved to in the sequel to BW and last I checked pro SC is loving dead - and I used to watch Korean BW all the time.

I'm not yet to the point of quitting, the games still silly complex, etc. but drat it's not a direction I like. The mechanical requirements keep going up and up and that's not why I played Dota way back when - it was the game where you were rewarded for being smart and strategic and having timing more than anything else.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I feel like the update has frame rate issues. Not many but enough to be noticeable.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I don't read patch notes too deeply and just play my way through it to figure it out so take this with a grain of salt (also I am bad at dota). The one thing I will say that some of the late game passives look to make some heroes much better late game (Puck). Then again how often do you ever hit 25 :shrug:.

Crstyal Maiden's buff to her ult also looks ridiculous.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

JollyPubJerk posted:

I don't think it's money as much as Icefrog just wants his game to appeal to the masses and be around forever. I can wholly understand why casuals would like this change. But pandering to casuals isn't how DotA became a 15+ year game and that definitely is a new direction.

My BS jungle got buffed, for the record.

I have been bitching ever since comeback gold.. There is no new realization here.

Thing is, they used to patch on like a bi-monthly basis where most changes were stat tweaks and +1cd, etc. etc. enough to get metagames to shift pretty hard, but leaving the diverse array of strategies in place. We're moving towards x item/skill hard counters y item/skill and z player casts first, followed by a player or else you lose teamfight, and positioning is a lost cause with every hero having max ms all the time. This is the poo poo that starcraft moved to in the sequel to BW and last I checked pro SC is loving dead - and I used to watch Korean BW all the time.

I'm not yet to the point of quitting, the games still silly complex, etc. but drat it's not a direction I like. The mechanical requirements keep going up and up and that's not why I played Dota way back when - it was the game where you were rewarded for being smart and strategic and having timing more than anything else.

6.84 was the point of quitting for me, and then I got back into it the game after most of the problems with that were resolved. But it's certainly not the same as when a player with good micro or just being plain smarter than their opponents could win games by themseves.

For the record I agree with most of your complaints, it's just like, this is clearly the way the game has bee heading for a while now, I don't really know what you expect from a patch whe every previous patch has contributed to dumbing the game down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milky Moor posted:

I feel like the update has frame rate issues. Not many but enough to be noticeable.

they probably have a debugger that'll be turned off in the live release (at least I hope). they've done this in the past.

• Locked thread