Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other items on my shelf include all three seasons of seaQuest DSV and the movie Fright Night II, which vies with Escape From L.A. for the title of "least necessary sequel".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sometimes I wish Marvel Unlimited had a way to download basically a "play list" of comics to make re-reading giant cross overs like The Clone Saga easier. On the other hand, them not having that feature means I don't do stupid poo poo like re-reading The Clone Saga.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So they've changed the plot of Powerless.

Instead of being set in a company called RetCon that deals with superhero collateral damage insurance, they work for Wayne Securities (yes, that Wayne) and develop and sell products that protect people from superhero collateral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

So they've changed the plot of Powerless.

Instead of being set in a company called RetCon that deals with superhero collateral damage insurance, they work for Wayne Securities (yes, that Wayne) and develop and sell products that protect people from superhero collateral.

Are they really, really desperate to make people think Affleck might cameo?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Gaz-L posted:

Literally yes. The entire premise of this show is tricking people into watching it by teasing connections to popular DC characters. It's no surprise it has had the behind the scenes problems it apparently had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's not even on a WB associated station, so they would probably need to make a deal with Fox for the kid to show up if they wanted Bruce.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Literally yes. The entire premise of this show is tricking people into watching it by teasing connections to popular DC characters.

Hey, as in other media, they're just following the Marvel model (Agents of SHIELD) only doing it wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TwoPair posted:

Hey, as in other media, they're just following the Marvel model (Agents of SHIELD) only doing it wrong.

If they aim for Agents of SHIELD and miss then the show will either be amazing or awful, and either way that's more interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Agents of W.A.Y.N.E. might be funny, but yeah, they're not getting that Samuel L. Jackson Ben Affleck cameo nor is it starring Coulson Martha, so i'm guessing it won't do particularly well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NBC aired Community for 4 seasons so the bar for success isn't very high there.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
So speaking of Agents of SHIELD - as happy as I am to see Mallory Jansen on my tv screen in this post-Galavant world, I had some idle hope that they wouldn't go for the heel turn this early on. Maybe I missed some obvious plot point but why is she snapping necks and cashing checks already? Aside from wanting a mini Ultron (and getting away from Ghost Rider, which is a whole different kettle of fish), what purpose is served by Evil Aida?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

NBC aired Community for 4 seasons so the bar for success isn't very high there.

The first four seasons of Community were the best ones! You monster!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

wyntyr posted:

So speaking of Agents of SHIELD - as happy as I am to see Mallory Jansen on my tv screen in this post-Galavant world, I had some idle hope that they wouldn't go for the heel turn this early on. Maybe I missed some obvious plot point but why is she snapping necks and cashing checks already? Aside from wanting a mini Ultron (and getting away from Ghost Rider, which is a whole different kettle of fish), what purpose is served by Evil Aida?

They like to have a gimmick/theme for each season. The Spring Season is going to be LMDs.

That's pretty much it. They just needed a dramatic reveal and a hook to give you something to wait for when the Spring premiere drops in 4 months.

I'm mostly excited to see who they get to continue their trend of amazing guest stars that outshine the normal cast. Hopefully it is the ghost of Edward James Olmos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They like to have a gimmick/theme for each season. The Spring Season is going to be LMDs.

That's pretty much it. They just needed a dramatic reveal and a hook to give you something to wait for when the Spring premiere drops in 4 months.

I'm mostly excited to see who they get to continue their trend of amazing guest stars that outshine the normal cast. Hopefully it is the ghost of Edward James Olmos.

Doesn't AoS come back the second week of January?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, because there's no Agent Carter it comes back the 10th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

:argh:

I didn't need to be reminded of that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

wyntyr posted:

For the season finale to be \m/ as gently caress when Robbie Penance Stares a bunch of LMDs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

:argh:

I didn't need to be reminded of that.

Agent Carter was actually kinda bad, Haley Atwell was great and the cinematography was leagues above Shield but the writing and direction was pretty loving dire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Agent Carter was actually kinda bad, Haley Atwell was great and the cinematography was leagues above Shield but the writing and direction was pretty loving dire.

Bridget Regan also made it worth watching.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

season 1 was great.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

wyntyr posted:

She read the book that makes anyone who reads it kind of crazy and evil.

Skwirl posted:

It looked great and the cast was generally amazing, but the plotting was fairly boring. Season 1 was fairly boring for me. Season 2, while more interesting, also kind of fell flat because it felt like it meandered a bit. Both 8 episode seasons felt like they could have accomplished the same amount of story telling in a single 2+ hour film each. There was great character moments peppered through out the show, but goddamn did the plots advance slowly.

It is also made worse by essentially being a prequel to much of the MCU, having these pretty "big" stories, and, as with SHIELD, not really being connected to anything in anyway. When they first announced the show I thought it would tie directly in to what was happening in AoS at the time, considering during that season they actually had a Peggy Carter flashback... but nope! Instead they basically retconned the Marvel One Shot and instead of the formation of SHIELD we got an 8 episode version of the One Shot without the narrative pay off of its ending.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

omg chael crash posted:

Did Legends of Tomorrow season 2 turn out to be any good?
It doesn't have the boring Hawk People so it's immediately better.

It's still not overly good, despite what people here are saying, but it has its moments.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I didn't even mind Hawkgirl. It's just Hawkman was so bad and the "fated lovers" thing with him demanding her love is so problematic and presented as CORRECT to the extent where every episode has more about why she's not allowed to be happy with anyone else. Erase Hawkman from all timelines and let her be her own character and it would be fine.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you erase Hawkman/Savage there's virtually no character there, which is kind of the problem.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The barista who suddenly is flooded with memories of past lives as well super powers, coping with both, is a good character concept that was completely botched and framed only in regards to its meaning to various men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savage didn't really work as a dangerous villain either. How does he give you trouble when your team includes Tesco Value Iron Man and a guy who can shoot fire out of his hands and alter the molecular structure of all matter, while his superpower was that he carries a knife - sometimes several?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Plus they kill him multiple times while in possession of a weapon than can kill him permanently but have to get out of dodge quickly, conveniently.

It's like Danger 5 with Hitler defenestrating himself every episode.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

The barista who suddenly is flooded with memories of past lives as well super powers, coping with both, is a good character concept that was completely botched and framed only in regards to its meaning to various men.

Hawkman is creepy af in LoT and JLU, and the comic too, I assume.

It would've been really cool for him to show up as Hawkgirl is getting her memories back and he tries his usual stalking poo poo while she continually tells him "gently caress off, I'm my own person. I don't care who I used to be. This is who I am now." etc and eventually she kills him for being the abusive ex-boyfriend stalker stereotype.

Also in this story Vandal Savage doesn't exist at all, or has a better character/actor and she can kill him by herself with the LoT team's help.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

Ok so how does that make the Hawkgirl that we got a good character?

I'm not saying "Hawkgirl is terrible", I'm saying "Hawkgirl in Season 1 of LoT is terrible". I agree with you that there was so much wasted potential there.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think Hawkgirl could have been somewhat redeemed if they had just used the time Hawkman was away to flesh out her character and make the audience give half a poo poo about her before bringing Hawkman back, but then she just spent all her time moping that Hawkman wasn't around or being with Ray would be like cheating on Hawkman.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

muscles like this! posted:

I totally forgot about that. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Ok so how does that make the Hawkgirl that we got a good character?

I'm not saying "Hawkgirl is terrible", I'm saying "Hawkgirl in Season 1 of LoT is terrible". I agree with you that there was so much wasted potential there.

It doesn't. He is saying it was a good idea ruined by bad execution.

S2 is better than S1 just for the fact that the writers are wise enough to keep the villains mostly out of reach, mostly. Savage got beat numerous times, and they could have ended things numerous times, but they didn't to artificially extend the story. This season is still making bad mistakes but it isn't as over the top awful as S1.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Either Dahrk or Thawne both seem like bigger threats than Savage, especially Thawne, and both together really do seem actually dangerous to the group. I honestly don't know how they even deal with Thawne.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well they shot him two different times in a confined space with an anti speedster gun, and then both times proceeded to stand over him and do literally nothing while he was on the ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can they do anything to him? Time traveler rules and all that?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Can they do anything to him? Time traveler rules and all that?

Thawne? To be honest, I don't know how Thawne even exists. His ancestor already died when he wasn't supposed to (lol aberrations), and him being from A future means they should be able to do whatever they want. And also his whole existence seems to be centered around creating aberrations at this point. Honestly the time travel in this universe makes zero sense and makes their mission statement as time travel cops also completely nonsensical. They likely won't kill Thawne because he's a popular villain at this point and belongs to another show. The writer's set themselves up for failure here since Flash has made it clear that IT wants to be a show about a totally different kind of time travel, and it clearly takes priority over LoT.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Hawkman is creepy af in LoT and JLU, and the comic too, I assume.

It would've been really cool for him to show up as Hawkgirl is getting her memories back and he tries his usual stalking poo poo while she continually tells him "gently caress off, I'm my own person. I don't care who I used to be. This is who I am now." etc and eventually she kills him for being the abusive ex-boyfriend stalker stereotype.

Also in this story Vandal Savage doesn't exist at all, or has a better character/actor and she can kill him by herself with the LoT team's help.

The worst part of the whole Hawk thing was how he died in the second episode and then they spend most of the rest of the season with her deciding to follow her own fate, only to give it up the second another version of Carter appears. The show never really seemed to get that Vandal Savage and Carter Hall were treating Kendra exactly the same way with each claiming to be her soulmate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And that version of Carter is from the future where he had his own version of Kendra running around. So by him hooking up with her earlier self he hosed up their cycle of destiny and rebirth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wheat Loaf posted:

Savage didn't really work as a dangerous villain either. How does he give you trouble when your team includes Tesco Value Iron Man and a guy who can shoot fire out of his hands and alter the molecular structure of all matter, while his superpower was that he carries a knife - sometimes several?

Man I thought I was in the Rebels thread, and was trying to figure out what Jedi you were talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I look forward to never seeing Firestorm transmute anything ever again. I didn't even realize that they were aware they had that ability, since they never use it.