Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Bottas is one of those drivers that showed up and everyone was like "wow, this guy's pretty quick, he could be good one day" and then he just never got any better.

100% this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Pastor Maldonado: 1 win

Valteri Bottas : 0 win

says it all

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

...what?

1500quid said he was optimistic about Honda and less about McLaren. To which I said, finally now that Honda has it together and appears to be heading in the right direction, McLaren has a wrench thrown in which was the firing of Ron. Perhaps I'm retarded and didn't imply any of that clearly enough, which is entirely possible.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

1500quid said he was optimistic about Honda and less about McLaren. To which I said, finally now that Honda has it together and appears to be heading in the right direction, McLaren has a wrench thrown in which was the firing of Ron. Perhaps I'm retarded and didn't imply any of that clearly enough, which is entirely possible.

I just don't understand how anything about McLaren rn suggests "imploding."

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

I just don't understand how anything about McLaren rn suggests "imploding."

Imploding might have been a stretch, admittedly. Do you think they are better or worse off without Ron?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Like, sure, they kinda suck. But they also still somehow attract blue chip sponsors/engineers/executives even in the midst of literally the worst years they've ever experienced. Zak Brown was basically given the choice of running all of F1 or just McLaren and he chose the latter.

GramCracker posted:

Imploding might have been a stretch, admittedly. Do you think they are better or worse off without Ron?

I think Ron was going to keep doing the same poo poo he did in the 80s and it's not gonna work anymore.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As an internet Race Enthusiast I want to like Can-Am racing because they had the best sounding engines ever with more horsepower than F1 and they had fan cars before that unimaginative noob Gordon Murray copied them. But I can't like Can-Am because the cars are loving hideous. I mean holy poo poo worse than 2014 dicknoses hideous.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Like, sure, they kinda suck. But they also still somehow attract blue chip sponsors/engineers/executives even in the midst of literally the worst years they've ever experienced. Zak Brown was basically given the choice of running all of F1 or just McLaren and he chose the latter.

I think Ron was going to keep doing the same poo poo he did in the 80s and it's not gonna work anymore.

The blue chip sponsors (and what have you) definitely come from the association of McLaren being a multi-WCC team, even if they are okay as best currently. Given the opportunity to associate your band with Manor or McLaren, what are you going to do? It's McLaren all day if you even remotely know what you're doing from a brand perspective.

If I was somehow lucky enough to be working in the F1 circus I'd probably want to work for them over any other team. Something about the outfit checks all the right boxes for me, and apparently a ton of others as well.

I cannot disagree that Ron was going to keep trying to same old trick expecting a new/different result. He was the guy with the vision however, and to me that's a huge thing. But in today's world results are required immediately and not a few years down the line.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As an internet Race Enthusiast I want to like Can-Am racing because they had the best sounding engines ever with more horsepower than F1 and they had fan cars before that unimaginative noob Gordon Murray copied them. But I can't like Can-Am because the cars are loving hideous. I mean holy poo poo worse than 2014 dicknoses hideous.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yea this thing was so good it ended an entire series of amazing race cars. Oh, and it looks the tits too.

1,580 hp in a 1,800 lb package :stonklol:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I try not to be stupid optimistic, but I look at the organization they have and I'm not quite sure how they could fail. Capito/Boullier/Prodromou are all quite clearly capable of producing a fast race car. Brown will get them the money to do so. The only real question mark is Honda, but like you said, they SEEM to have gotten their poo poo together. Plus, they're treating this like the pride of the entire company is as stake and pumping insane amounts of money into engine development and propping up McLaren's sponsor budget. I'd be surprised if they aren't in the thick of it next year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

I try not to be stupid optimistic, but I look at the organization they have and I'm not quite sure how they could fail. Capito/Boullier/Prodromou are all quite clearly capable of producing a fast race car. Brown will get them the money to do so. The only real question mark is Honda, but like you said, they SEEM to have gotten their poo poo together. Plus, they're treating this like the pride of the entire company is as stake and pumping insane amounts of money into engine development and propping up McLaren's sponsor budget. I'd be surprised if they aren't in the thick of it next year.

I try to not be extremely optimistic as well, you just get let down really hard when things don't happen. To your point, you're probably right in that I'm not giving the rest of this really well set up and organized team the credit to continue to develop the car now that Ron, the guy who put them on the map and had the vision, is gone. Who knows, maybe time will tell that McLaren is better off without Ron. What I don't doubt is that with or without Ron, 2017 will put McLaren higher into the field than they have been the past two years.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
lol in Monaco 87 Senna sprayed the royals with champagne and the protocol guy who handled him the bottle freaked out trying to stop him

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Speaking of other racing, nobody is as serious about pit stops as Japanese pit crews are. All non Japanese pit crews should hang their heads in shame. It's hard to believe a culture as serious as this could make something as bad as anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtTAqnFd-c&t=5050s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of other racing, nobody is as serious about pit stops as Japanese pit crews are. All non Japanese pit crews should hang their heads in shame. It's hard to believe a culture as serious as this could make something as bad as anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtTAqnFd-c&t=5050s

That's like some weird hybrid between Indy and NASCAR stops, with a dash of F1 thrown in for good measure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A friend of mine does social media stuff at McLaren. She seems to enjoy it.

That's my McLaren as a company opinion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was always of the opinion Honda should have sought a low key partner.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Thanks Ants posted:

I've been in their HQ in Woking. It's basically a Bond villain lair

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BubbaGrace posted:

I think it says somewhere in the rules that Honda has to supply more than one team, problem is nobody wants it or cares.

If a team cannot secure an engine deal, the engine supplier with the least number of engines supplied must provide them.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

https://twitter.com/Exhaustus/status/648859967336882176

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

incoming hot take:

Ya know, the more I think about it, both F1 and NASCAR are similar. Big egos, the "pinnacle" of their type of racing (open wheel and stock), and wanting to institute gimmicks to try to recapture the popularity of the sport at its peak.

NASCAR at least has the advantage of owning the tracks they race on instead of charging $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, so it's less of a blatant money grab, but it does institute said gimmicks.

Meanwhile, young people can't care less and go and watch WRX or motocross.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Meanwhile, young people can't care less and go and watch WRX or motocross.

Young people definitely don't care about either of these things at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pretty sure young people hate anything with wheels

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Because they saw their future was living in a trailer/caravan?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

What are "wheels"?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Young people don't like doing anything that involves looking up from their phones. Which is why if you asked a random selection if they could name a F1 driver they might just about be able to name Lewis as that guy who sometimes hangs out with the Kardashians and once danced with Rhianna.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Adults glued to phones too. Just sayin.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Freaking kids and their 'hip hop' music and cell phones and WRX racing

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The future is not even that bright

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kids today are surprisingly alright given the state of the world. Old people (BERNIE ECCLESTONE) are the problem.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Millennials vs Boomers is such a good conversation starter

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The future is not even that bright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt4Epm5emzA

:getin: give that man a seat at Mercedes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

They've even infected F1 with their sjws engines that make no sound and "everyone can pass" drs buttons

smh

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I use it to pick up tons of babes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Unless you're talking to a boomer it usually begins and ends with "yeah boomers are the worst."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not gonna fib, have watched the F1 on my phone.

It's a problem with advertising to the mainstream. In all fairness in the UK all the sky sports channels in fairly decent quality and pay as you go is £30 a month, which is good value for money, as you can have two devices/people using it at the same time and sharing the cost. How many people know about this or even want to watch the F1? I would argue that F1's main competition is the WWE with a dash of reality TV thrown in, and that in order to grow it must improve the broadcast quality and include more real life stories so people can get invested in it. I've said before that having a MTV reality show following a pit crew around would bring in a huge audience of young people, and as it's separate from the actual race show it can be easily avoided by adults.

Biggest issue with f1 for me is Crofty is an even more unlikeable heel Michael Cole, only we never get to see the pay off where people beat the poo poo out of him with a table. It's like there is no one regulating the Sky F1 broadcasts and the people who are supposed to don't actually listen to the god awful commentary. Sky own the rights, not the company who film the broadcasts, someone needs to step in and go "OK Brundle can stay in the crazy old man who sometimes comes out with good one liners role. Ted, you keep doing your thing where you explain nerd stuff so people can understand it. The rest of you talentless freeloaders can gently caress off."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Millennials are bad, here's a pro wrestling reference.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Here's my hot take: people older than me are bad and people younger than me are also bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Commentary: Brundle as colour commentator, Coulthard in the second seat. Plus bring in a third who is rotated (no actual reason there only needs to be two) Ant, Jenson, Bruno and Karun. May be other ex-drivers with personality who could be added, have them do an audition with Boring Mc Dougle and if they are better than him then give them a FP live test. You know, like actual professionals would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

1500quidporsche posted:

Here's my hot take: people older than me are bad and people younger than me are also bad.

I'm bad.

• Locked thread