Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

He's not an idiot, he just thinks the API is magic, can do magic, and therefore wants to shove any problematic thing into the API. He tries to have this conversation at least every week or two.

It usually takes the form of "well the API could convert <bad value> into <good value>" and I just say "No, I'm not doing that" and that's the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Buddy, he's doing live edits in production and given the other stuff you described - it's really dumb to do that as a way to handle his job responsibilities. I'll cordon off his idioicy to just his job.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

smackfu posted:

Who has a holiday production freeze? How does that work for you with sprints and continuous delivery?

We have retail clients so our freeze starts the week before Black Friday until January 2nd. So that's nice.

We have the opposite, there's a company-sponsored "codeathon" 2-day at the end of this week that basically amounts to "lock the developers in a room until they come out with something". My coworkers are questioning how they're supposed to explain to their family that they need to stay overnight in a city 2 hours away. :downs:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should probably explain to the boss that sometimes software is late and he can gently caress off

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pollyanna posted:

We have the opposite, there's a company-sponsored "codeathon" 2-day at the end of this week that basically amounts to "lock the developers in a room until they come out with something". My coworkers are questioning how they're supposed to explain to their family that they need to stay overnight in a city 2 hours away. :downs:

oh, that's easy, "i resigned because working conditions were insane so now i have to interview"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

You mean it's an optional team building thing and they can build whatever they want for their own personal gain with lodging and food provided by the company, right?

If it's not it then :sever:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 12, 2016

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HardDiskD posted:

You mean it's an optional team building thing and they can build whatever they want for their own personal gain with lodging and food provided by the company, right?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607482&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=83#post467207871

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I'm not even sure it is legal to make employees travel on their own dime. In any state.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

HardDiskD posted:

Problem is, OP has done this maybe a little too often.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skandranon posted:

Problem is, OP has done this maybe a little too often.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust my own judgment on this. Maybe after another year at the job, I'll be in a position where I can clearly say it's time to move on. Still, this doesn't fill me with confidence. Oh well, not my problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

You may remember me as the guy with the boss everyone hated.

Some of his bad habits have rubbed off on the underlings, resulting in a Serious Fuckup in production on Friday. Fridays are big for us, we generally don't touch production, as we want all our systems and automation to run over the weekend without issue. The coworker in question was developing on the production

The fact that this did not end with "and was severely reprimanded/fired" means that you should eject because there's no hope for the future while these kinds of clowns are around.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

revmoo posted:

I'm not even sure it is legal to make employees travel on their own dime. In any state.
I'm not sure if this is the thread I noted it in, but my last company treated my travel to the main office as an unusual expense that doesn't let me deduct the cost of the trip when they added it to my W-2 as income. Also, Uber drivers are contractors basically and many companies that treat workers as bodies typically use contractors on 1099 or variants of W-2 that make overhead lower and limits company liabilities. This is common in lots of blue collar jobs as well when there's lack of unions to push back upon the trend. Being in the South as a construction worker is not quite the same as above the Mason-Dixon Line.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thats normal, I meant hotel bookings, but going back and looking it appears the ops company was actually paying.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"How do we point these stories? By hours taken or by effort points?"

"We add effort points but they don't mean anything, and we have each developer log their hours worked at the end of each day."

"Wait, so then how do we scope our sprints?"

"Oh, we don't really scope them. We just pull in as much stuff as we want to get done and extend the sprint by a couple weeks if we don't finish."

"Uh...okay. What about grooming?"

"What's grooming?"

:popeye:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

... What's grooming?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Look like a pretty chill work environment if you ask me :)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Working in Development: What's grooming?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

csammis posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

csammis posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

csammis posted:

Not emptyquoting.

I meant backlog grooming :v:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Not emptyquoting.

I meant backlog grooming :v:

There's no walking this back now, own it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Backlogs groomed more frequently than bodies.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HardDiskD posted:

... What's grooming?

We have a British scrum master that flips the gently caress out if you say "backlog grooming" because pedophiles. It's "backlog refinement" now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

baquerd posted:

We have a British scrum master that flips the gently caress out if you say "backlog grooming" because pedophiles. It's "backlog refinement" now.
There's no grooming any story under 16 story points.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

In japan its 14 story points. That's why they get their releases out so much faster.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Isn't the whole point of grooming to get the stories as small as possible? I prefer 5-8 points myself, but I'm weird.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Isn't the whole point of grooming to get the stories as small as possible? I prefer 5-8 points myself, but I'm weird.

No, the primary objective of grooming is to understand and discuss the stories to share knowledge and planning across the team. The secondary objective is to rough-in sizes for stories to give the PO (or whoever) a rough idea of the work required to clear the backlog and to force thinking about scope and relative effort. As a tertiary point, grooming gives you the opportunity to break stories apart (or join them together) to aid in the primary and secondary objectives, but at no point should the objective be to make stories as small as possible. Stories should fit into a sprint and be well understood, anyone sperging about sizes after that is missing the point.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vulture Culture posted:

There's no grooming any story under 16 story points.

I really hate it when people ban 'bad' words that are only offensive in a particular context but still: lmao

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

baquerd posted:

No, the primary objective of grooming is to understand and discuss the stories to share knowledge and planning across the team. The secondary objective is to rough-in sizes for stories to give the PO (or whoever) a rough idea of the work required to clear the backlog and to force thinking about scope and relative effort. As a tertiary point, grooming gives you the opportunity to break stories apart (or join them together) to aid in the primary and secondary objectives, but at no point should the objective be to make stories as small as possible. Stories should fit into a sprint and be well understood, anyone sperging about sizes after that is missing the point.

:thejoke:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Damnit, so I did. Bad memories of a PO that had us break apart 2 story point stories because there were clearly severable AC.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

baquerd posted:

To give a serious answer: I think it's always worthwhile to at least ask the question "can we do less and still deliver value". This may very well result in stories being split up, and often part 2 of the story will drop down the backlog because it turns out part 1 will do for now. It's a good way to avoid gold plating.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish we were better about that. We tend to just debate for too long about whether to do the simple version or the fancy version.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

smackfu posted:

I wish we were better about that. We tend to just debate for too long about whether to do the simple version or the fancy version.

at one place i routinely sat in meetings totaling more time than the time it took to just build the thing

i left

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

leper khan posted:

at one place i routinely sat in meetings totaling more time than the time it took to just build the thing

i left

The only reason this isn't the case at my current job is because development on features is so slow that they take months to produce, even relatively small ones. RFCs and signoffs and all that.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I am currently appreciating the workflow process I find myself surrounded by, where while doing planned work, the greybeards take it upon themselves to 'fix' the older code, introduce a dozen new critical showstopper bugs, and then just toss them into the backlog to be worked on in a future sprint. And then we wonder why we can't make deadlines and why every release ends up in a mad-dash all hands on deck QA overtime week.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

It could be your ticket out of there :v:

... I'll show myself out

e: Alternatively, it's a Maybe<EarlyRetirement>

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 14, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

That's an insult, not a gift.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Volmarias posted:

That's an insult, not a gift.

You think the bosses that give those out expect part of it if you win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Skandranon posted:

You think the bosses that give those out expect part of it if you win?

No, but the bosses definitely only spent one dollar (per however many tickets) per employee on "gifts." Since most of those are probably worth only as much as the paper they're printed on, the effective "gift" from the employee's perspective is even less than was spent. If anything does come of the tickets then it's at the state's expense and not the company's. It's a copout.

Hell, even a tub of popcorn has guaranteed calories.