Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
good to see the treasurer focusing on the important things when we are a week away from a credit rating downgrade.

quote:

Budget fixed as Morrison hunts bludging polygamists

From 2GB this morning comes Australia’s most sackable aylite, Downgrade Morrison:

We’ve got $6b of welfare savings measures before the parliament right now. Labor are like that guy on the roadside when they’re doing roadwork, but they’ve got the sign on stop when it comes to fixing the economy.

…The law and its implementation cannot condone polygamy. It’s against our values, it’s 100 per cent wrong.

He’s hot on the heels of another parasite too in students seeking the dole:

Originally it was at six months, and that was unacceptable to the Senate…so you can’t go from the school front gate to the Centrelink front door.

We put the protections in place, these are young people who can stack shelves, pick fruit, and we say if they knock back those jobs they should not be getting the dole.

A fine narrative to carry the nation: Labor, Muslim polygamists, bludging students…all much of muchness.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/12/budget-fixed-morrison-hunts-bludging-polygamists/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We have dishonoured the millions of soldiers who laid down their lives in the 20th century fighting for our freedom and the future of Western civilisation.

every day i am thankful for the anzacs who died fighting the oriental hordes of germany

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

every day i am thankful for the anzacs who died fighting the oriental hordes of germany

We fought the islamists at Gallipoli right?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

We fought the islamists at Gallipoli right?
And the uppity fuckers cheated their way to a win! That's why we can't play by Sharia rules!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

G-Spot Run posted:

What kind of dog whistle bullshit will the media publish tomorrow!

We generate just 1.3 per cent or so of the planet’s entire human-generated carbon dioxide. This inconvenient truth, which largely derailed previous bouts of local climate hysteria, means that even if Australia were to be wiped off the face of the earth there would be no measurable difference to global temperatures.

Warmists can continue coming up with their wild justifications for an emissions trading scheme or carbon tax, but people are now wise to this central fact. Keep building your web, warmies, and we’ll keep walking right through it. Back on the porch with you. There might be some tasty bugs to eat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://webstreaming.lawinorder.com.au/rcpdcnt

You can watch Dylan Voller at the NT Royal Commision into Don Dale but be warned it's hosed.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

You can watch Dylan Voller at the NT Royal Commision into Don Dale but be warned it's hosed.

The breadth of Dylan's accounts has really shocked me, I'd forgotten how institutionalised he has been and from such a young age.

This is a really thorough investigation and as such it is revealing mistreatment, abuse, and borderline torture over dozens upon dozens of cases.

It's hosed, really disturbingly hosed.

E: I'm really glad to be stuck at home waiting for call backs to some job interviews, because as hard as it is I need to watch this entire investigation/inquiry. We all should to be honest.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
"We’ve got $6b of welfare savings measures before the parliament right now. Labor are like that guy on the roadside when they’re doing roadwork, but they’ve got the sign on stop when it comes to fixing the economy."

The guy that's there to stop drivers from mowing down workers because they have nowhere valuable to go but they're sure as gently caress gonna get there quick? Seems an apt analogy for neoliberalism.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

good to see the treasurer focusing on the important things when we are a week away from a credit rating downgrade.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/12/budget-fixed-morrison-hunts-bludging-polygamists/

The comments on that piece...ouch

I wonder how far this will go

quote:

Proposals to make politicians shoulder their share of the weight now that the Age of Entitlement is over:

1. Scrap political pensions.

Politicians can purchase their own retirement plan, just as most other working Australians are expected to do.

2. Retired politicians (past, present & future) participate in Centrelink.

A Politician collects a substantial salary while in office but should receive no salary when they’re out of office.

Terminated politicians under 70 can go get a job or apply for Centrelink unemployment benefits like ordinary Australians.

Terminated politicians over 70 can negotiate with Centrelink like the rest of the Australian people.

3. Funds already allocated to the Politicians’ retirement fund be returned immediately to Consolidated Revenue.

This money is to be used to pay down debt they created which they expect us and our grandchildren to repay for them.

4. Politicians will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Politicians pay will rise by the lower of, either the CPI or 3%.

5. Politicians lose their privileged health care system and participate in the same health care system as ordinary Australian people.
i.e. Politicians either pay for private cover from their own funds or accept ordinary Medicare.

6. Politicians must equally abide by all laws they impose on the Australian people.

7. All contracts with past and present Politicians men/women are void effective 31/12/16.

The Australian people did not agree to provide perks to Politicians, that burden was thrust upon them.

Politicians devised all these contracts to benefit themselves.

Serving in Parliament is an honour not a career.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iajanus posted:

I don't care about any other public holidays, but Australia Day isn't allowed to be moved as we have our wedding anniversary that day and I demand to have a public holiday for it. If it's offensive for people I will allow it to be renamed "iajanus & iajwife" Day.

The only way I'll allow it to be moved if it's a few days later on my birthday.

:colbert:

Wow, look at this cis scum trying to enforce male/female relationships here let's get him people!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Most politicians are going to be pretty well off even without their parliamentary pensions. You'd have to be a pretty terrible politician not to set yourself up for a post-politics career, so it's not like they'd be eligible for Centrelink anyway.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Who first brought up this polygamists welfare argument? Was it morrison or some newspaper jerk?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
No post-politics employment allowed. Immediate family are restricted to median wage, all they earn beyond this is confiscated by the government. Former politicians are restricted to whichever Centrelink payments they would eligible for if they were from the general public. They must fulfil all requirements including any meetings job search requirements and training, except they are not required to take a job if offered.

There we go.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://twitter.com/ACOSS/status/808112867236978688

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Higsian posted:

Christmas should span 2 days so everybody gets a Christmas day off each year.

I believe you are talking about Boxing Day

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Focusing on political entitlements is just the other side of the 'crack down on welfare bludgers' coin. It's not going to make anyone's life better and is a distraction from things that could. Besides, they'd never vote for it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hiddenmovement posted:

I believe you are talking about Boxing Day

It should be called Christmas though.

And yeah political entitlements are usually just a cut the budget distraction. Though I do like the idea of pinning the fortunes of politicians to the fortunes of either the general public or the worst off. Like having politician salaries be a specific multiple of Newstart or the median wage or whatever.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Higsian posted:

It should be called Christmas though.

And yeah political entitlements are usually just a cut the budget distraction. Though I do like the idea of pinning the fortunes of politicians to the fortunes of either the general public or the worst off. Like having politician salaries be a specific multiple of Newstart or the median wage or whatever.

1.0 :twisted:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:stare:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

*Peter Dutton quickly writes down notes to send to the Naurian Government*

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

*Peter Dutton quickly writes down notes to send to the Naurian Government*

mate dutton is too busy killing people with bacterial infections to care about this poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Who first brought up this polygamists welfare argument? Was it morrison or some newspaper jerk?

Peta Credlin in her column

quote:

Sadly, this is not the first time I have seen reference to “wives” plural. A few years ago I was in a meeting in Canberra discussing budget reform when our conversation moved to the area of rorts within the welfare sector and family payments specifically; after all, we spend billions every year supporting people with children.

Slipped into this briefing was acknowledgment by the public service of cases where it was likely that payments were being provided to families living under one roof with multiple wives. I thought I must have heard it wrong. So I followed up again.

No, I got it right the first time. I was ­informed that it was probably better for the taxpayer anyway because if one wife had to be paid separately she would receive additional support as a single parent.

I couldn’t believe what I was told. If it was true, I said, we were accepting as a principle in welfare policy something that was fundamentally wrong — both at law and in our culture — pure and simple.

No one really disagreed but as is so often the case in Canberra, it was someone else’s problem and they took a few notes.

Straight after the meeting, I raised it with the then prime minister, who found it just as difficult to believe as I did.

He said regardless of the budget argument put forward by the public servants, the principle was paramount. He demanded more ­details and action but the leadership change came … and the rest is history.

Malcolm's fault.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Higsian posted:

The point of such arguments is precisely about the top end not sharing the load yes. It's a warning sign, it doesn't need any particular logic to it. The very attack on budget cuts shows that that particular narrative is only appealing to the lunar right any more. Especially when compared to Defence spending and island prisons.

edit: reminder that Peta Credlin was not an elected official and as such her arguments are pure lobbyist BS.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 12, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I wonder what the hard right are going to ultimately do on this front (before they're unconditionally supported by Labor). Could it be that people in polygamous relationships with no children get... no payments?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Malcolm's fault.

Isn't polygamy, like, illegal? Or is it only illegal to get two marriage certificates and de facto polygamy is fine?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

Isn't polygamy, like, illegal? Or is it only illegal to get two marriage certificates and de facto polygamy is fine?

I was going to say 'two seconds of google' but Wikipedia is still putting out the loving money box at the top of every page and it's annoying as poo poo. Allow me to save you that.

quote:

Polygamy is not permitted in Australia. Polygamous marriages may not be performed in Australia,[1] [2] and a person who marries another person, knowing that the previous marriage is still subsisting, commits an offence of bigamy under section 94 of the Marriage Act 1961, which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment.[3] Whether or not either or both partners were aware of the previous subsisting marriage, the second marriage is void.[4]

Polygamous marriages entered into in jurisdictions that legally recognise and perform such unions may be legally valid in Australia for some purposes.[5][6] While the extent of benefits granted to a foreign polygamous marriage are unclear, benefits such as welfare are legally granted to each spouse and their children.[7] In addition, the polygamous marriage is recognised for the purpose of a spouse having access to the Family Court for divorce, and involving property settlement and children issues.[8]

2000–09

In 2008, a number of Islamic leaders, particularly Imams advocated the legalisation of polygamous marriages in Australia,[9][10][11] which stirred controversial and emotional debate.[12][13] Proponents of polygamy have claimed that legalisation would "protect the rights of women,"[14] while opponents have claimed that it would "endanger the Australian way of life."[15] In response to the intensifying debate, Australia's former Attorney General Robert McClelland remarked that "There is absolutely no way that the government will be recognising polygamist relationships. They are unlawful and they will remain as such. Under Australian law, marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others. Polygamous marriage necessarily offends this definition."[16]

In 2009 there was further support expressed for polygamy within the Australian Muslim community.[17]

2010-14

In 2011, a small community of polyamorists in Australia were working towards the removal of prejudice against multiple-partner relationships and ultimately to the legalisation of polyamorous marriage.[18][19]

In 2012 polyamorists again lobbied for marriage recognition with the Australian "poly community" claimed to be, "diverse, and thriving",[20] however the Australian Greens have said that equal rights should involve only two consenting adults.[21] The Greens were accused of "narrowmindedness, denial of equality, fear of sexual difference and political expediency" and of being "hypocrites" because the logic they use to argue for marriage equality should extend to people who have multiple partners.[20][22]

In the lead-up to the 2012 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras LGBTI polyamorists were offended when their application to enter a float was questioned. A concern for Mardi Gras organisers was reconciling any endorsement of polyamorous relationships, while at the same time promoting marriage equality for couples. Polyamorists felt excluded particularly as the Mardi Gras theme was "universal and infinite love".[23] The issue was resolved by having restrictions placed on the polyamory group's signage within the parade.[24] A polyamory float was entered in the 2012 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras based on the theme "Queer Polyamory".[25]

Former High Court Judge, the Hon. Michael Kirby said in 2012, "I have known homosexual people in a relationship of three . . . . Human relationships are complicated, but these, I would respectfully suggest, are issues for the future".[26]

Dan Savage developed the term monogamish, being a relationship that’s "mostly monogamous". He lectured in Melbourne in 2013 promoting this concept.[27] Another term, developed by Savage, is throuple, which is used to describe a (polygamous) relationship of three people.[28] The functioning of monogamish relationships is being explored.[29][30] Concern has been raised in regards to 'monogamish' and 'throuple' as both redefine relationships, "primarily about adult desire".[31]

In 2013 polyamory activists were saying, "For too long has Australia denied people the right to marry the ones they care about. We find this abhorrent. We believe that everyone should be allowed to marry their partners, and that the law should never be a barrier to love. And that's why we demand nothing less than the full recognition of polyamorous families."[32][33]

There was a polyamory float in the 2014 Mardi Gras, themed, "Polyamory Sydney ‘Birds of a Feather, love together’ – the infinite love Nest".[34]

In 2014 and 2015 further recognition for, and acceptance of, polygamy was sought.[35][36][37][38][39]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Malcolm's fault.

Lmao thankyoi.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Starshark posted:

I was going to say 'two seconds of google' but Wikipedia is still putting out the loving money box at the top of every page and it's annoying as poo poo. Allow me to save you that.

You'd think cracking down on that would be an easy vote winner.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

You'd think cracking down on that would be an easy vote winner.

IANAL but I think the rub is 'illegal to perform marriage' and the people who are in polygamous relationships in Aus get married overseas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Higsian posted:

No post-politics employment allowed. Immediate family are restricted to median wage, all they earn beyond this is confiscated by the government. Former politicians are restricted to whichever Centrelink payments they would eligible for if they were from the general public. They must fulfil all requirements including any meetings job search requirements and training, except they are not required to take a job if offered.

There we go.

But then the politicians might be susceptible to bribery while in office!

Good heavens. Just imagine if we had a corrupt politician in Australia. That'd be like eating an ice cream in Alice Springs.

Royal... commissary? Sorry, I didn't make it out.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Did anyone read about Dylan Voller on the ABC and his testimony? :stare:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Christmas can stay, at this point it's pretty inoffensive and secular unless you're religious yourself.
A month of lovely christmas carols, many of which are overtly religious, being blasted incessantly from the speakers at every shopping centre is inoffensive? Even if they weren't religious, they are still universally terrible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cam Smith is on Well May We Say this week, a veteran of monitoring neo-nazi groups in Sydney, eg these charmers.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 12, 2016

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I like that they were briefed about this years ago and were so outraged they didn't speak up until now on the back of lovely journalism.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

A month of lovely christmas carols, many of which are overtly religious, being blasted incessantly from the speakers at every shopping centre is inoffensive? Even if they weren't religious, they are still universally terrible.

They are not all terrible :crossarms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxVo5mjK4eg

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Pickled Tink posted:

Why are you going to shopping centres

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

asio posted:

Why are you going to shopping centres

free aircon

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pickled Tink posted:

I always thought we didn't get hit by too many of them. I mean sure, they're around, but we're spared a lot of the seasonal music people from the States or U.K. complain about because they're too overtly wintery. There's nothing for stuff like White Christmas and Baby It's Cold Outside to really hook into because they're so heavily linked to winter and snow. That kinda means the only thing left is carols, which don't fly super well either but at least have something we do relate to.

Of course, we'd all be hosed if some dad-rock artist like AC/DC made a non-parody song of any level of quality alluding to Christmas barbecues. And then finally you would all share my pain and hatred of AC/DC, albeit from a different angle.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bags are scary. So, apparently are restrained children

https://twitter.com/DocEvatt/status/808222774871224321

• Locked thread