Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

Oh yea, I am never stupid like that and just charge torp equipped ships. My main problem is the Tier X games at around 16+km range where my shells can't pen Tier X BBs and there are a TON of super stealth destroyers who can unleash very fast torps outside spotting range. So i am stuck between a rock and a hard place in those games. All friendly BBs hang well back and play safe but I am stuck out in the middle between the DDs and am just soaking ridiculous amounts of fire. Or I sit there and watch my volleys miss on dispersion and what does hit typically bounces. So Tier 10 is pretty bad for me.

It sounds like you're getting a bit too far ahead. Yeah it sucks rear end when your own T10 BBs are hanging back "sniping" but if you get too far forward without any cover then you'll get focused down and killed for nothing. When you're the bottom tier BB you have to be very careful in how you position yourself. Try to minimize the directions you get shot from so you can angle away, and when you do push always keep in mind an escape route in case everyone that pushes with you dies or runs away at the first sign of trouble (it'll usually be the latter).

Also if you have to fire at something like a bow-on Yamato and aiming at the superstructure does nothing, consider switching to HE. Pretty much the only time a BB should shoot HE at another BB. Though the best option is usually to pick another target. Or even to hold your fire.

Thundercakes posted:

Welp just got accused of camping the base by a tomato-red WTR Sims (only DD on our team). Standard Battle on Hotspot with an imbalanced split, they had the numerical advantage in front of our base and we had it in front of theirs. I'm in a Bis and had a Dunkerque, a Prinze Eugen and it seems like the CV and maybe one other cruiser on my side. Apparently the side in front of their base, including the Sims, derped into the defenders, and on my side the Dunk rammed a New Mexico for god knows what reason and the Prinze Eugen ate some Yorck torps, and the other cruiser hosed off to the other side of the map leaving only me to defend or our base is wide open. I should have just set sail to the back of the map and let them cap right then, but my desire to dig myself out of my loss hole today made me keep defending all while being raged at in chat for camping. I finish at the top of our scoreboard, he heads up the bottom 6. I guess I was just supposed to derp into them For Honour~~

It's entirely possible that the Sims player didn't fully understand how to play Standard Battle. He may seriously think it's no big deal to let the other team into your cap. It would help explain his WTR.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It's beautiful.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
that poor Atlanta

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Emerald is pretty neat

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

The Third Man posted:

that poor Atlanta

that lucky kutuzov

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Seems like removing that horrible dust clog from my GPU's fan exhaust fixed things.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

It's beautiful.

Jesus. Nerf Battleships?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new tier 6 Hatsuharu is somehow worse than the old bad one at tier 7, and the Akatsuki that replaced it in the torpedo boat line is almost better off playing gun first torpedoes optional like a US DD, what A grade muppet came up with these new ships?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Hatsuharu is both an improvement on IJN T6 performance and on its own statline. 6km stock torps is bullshit if you try to play through it like I did but it's solid afterward. Akatsuki has strong kiting with her speed and aft turrets, and a really good torp reload for their power.

Get used to the "torp line/gunboat line" being bullshit and look at each ship's individual strengths and weaknesses when you play them

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Twice in a row, while going for the 100 shell hits in a single battle mission, I've been stopped at 96 hits by a points victory.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Getting demolished while unspotted and in smoke from Bismark secondaries is really starting to get old. The 10km range on them is obscene and is basically a huge gently caress you destroyers.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It's basically a huge gently caress you to everything.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Starting to get some feel for the Missouri :dance:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Mother of god does the Kirov print citadel hits. If the Molotov goes on sale is it worth the money (depending on what it costs of course) I really really like the play style of the Furutaka and Kirov. Kind of skulk around and then dump some very high power rounds into some unsuspecting cruisers side for 1/2 their HP.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Mother of god does the Kirov print citadel hits. If the Molotov goes on sale is it worth the money (depending on what it costs of course) I really really like the play style of the Furutaka and Kirov. Kind of skulk around and then dump some very high power rounds into some unsuspecting cruisers side for 1/2 their HP.

It's very much the same but the guns are the same as the the tier 9 Russian cruiser, which is to say better performing than the kirov's in every way. You can cit any tier 8 cruiser broadside even at max range. Good HE and concealment with DE and concealment expert means it's stealthyish and a good fire starter. Good verses DDs at mid to close range and BBs at max range. Staying alive is the same as the Kirov, so you'd already be used to that.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Victor Surge posted:

It's very much the same but the guns are the same as the the tier 9 Russian cruiser, which is to say better performing than the kirov's in every way. You can cit any tier 8 cruiser broadside even at max range. Good HE and concealment with DE and concealment expert means it's stealthyish and a good fire starter. Good verses DDs at mid to close range and BBs at max range. Staying alive is the same as the Kirov, so you'd already be used to that.

This sounds totally my poo poo. Going to keep an eye out for it then :)

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

It's just one of those days :smith:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That looks painful. I'm usually done for the day if I have a three loss streak.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Timmy Horsey posted:

This was my Sunday, but replace the NM and Bayern with a Bismarck

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I just realized my bank account was almost empty...then I realised service cost for the Bismarck is freakin 86k per battle?????

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This sounds totally my poo poo. Going to keep an eye out for it then :)

It's one of my favorite cruisers. The Molotov is ridiculous so long as you never show your broadside for too long. I'm perfectly fine getting up-tiered in it because its guns give no fucks.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

The new tier 6 Hatsuharu is somehow worse than the old bad one at tier 7, and the Akatsuki that replaced it in the torpedo boat line is almost better off playing gun first torpedoes optional like a US DD, what A grade muppet came up with these new ships?

Its difficult to gauge just how wrong you are in this post. But yes, you are very, very wrong. Hatsuharu is excellent at 6, though I'd say Fubuki is better. It is still good, though. Akatsuki is a faster old T8 Fubuki at T7 with some slightly nerfed stats, but its loving great and an excellent boat.

Also you should be shooting your guns on IJN DDs, gunplay is never "optional" on IJN DDs. Torps are just a powerful tool in their kit that they sacrifice gunpower for.

Also, new patch coming up, and I already see a huge change:

quote:

Fixed a long-standing bug where damage from fires and flooding would do one extra "tick" of damage. Now, the damage stops immediately after you activate the "Repair Party" consumable.
HUGE

but this was a very amusing "bug" I guess. I thought it was intended behavior. At least now when you instapop repair for a fire, you no longer take that first tick anyways.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 13, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's right BBs, instapop those damecon. :poi:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Timmy Horsey posted:

Ouch.

I've given up on getting doubles on ships because of occasional crappy streaks like these. Nowadays, if I lose two games but did average damage on both, the amount of experience I get is about the same as a double so I just consider that ship "done" and move on to the other one. It's really not worth it getting worked up over trying to get a win, especially on ships like BB's that take forever to get from point A to B.

Space Flower posted:

that's right BBs, instapop those damecon. :poi:

Joke's on you, I take Fire Prevention on my BB's :downs:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Its difficult to gauge just how wrong you are in this post. But yes, you are very, very wrong. Hatsuharu is excellent at 6, though I'd say Fubuki is better. It is still good, though. Akatsuki is a faster old T8 Fubuki at T7 with some slightly nerfed stats, but its loving great and an excellent boat.

Also you should be shooting your guns on IJN DDs, gunplay is never "optional" on IJN DDs. Torps are just a powerful tool in their kit that they sacrifice gunpower for.

New Hatsuharu is worse than the old Mutsuki, which was semi-decent with the gun upgrade, and Akatsuki has a Russian-esque combo of detection range and rudder shift time, while both have IJN slow turning gun turrets, and slow torpedoes in the sub-standard IJN triple launcher setup. Akatsuki is very much inferior to the Mahan, which itself is only an average boat - the only thing it does better is straight line top speed, otherwise Mahan is a better scout, better gunboat, and a better torpedoboat.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 13, 2016

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/public-test-0516-key-feature/

quote:

New Feature Testing
Added a Premium US Tier VIII battleship Alabama for testing by developers and supertesters.

She will only be available to/added to players' accounts for volunteer supertesters. It will not be possible to purchase her, send her as a gift, or win her as a reward during any events.

Whelp, welcome to the most TK'd ship on the server.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
The new IJN DD's are just free xp. I have yet to be killed by one, and I sink them without any trouble with a CA or DD. German BB's laugh at them. The USN and VMF DD's just murder the Akatsuki at any range. The redesigned IJN DD's are the USN CV's of the DD lines.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Didn't take long to take the crown from the Missouri as the most focused fired ship.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Got a 20 million credit super-container today. I haven't even been clicking "try your luck" because I feel steady rewards to have more use.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

New Hatsuharu is worse than the old Mutsuki, which was semi-decent with the gun upgrade, and Akatsuki has a Russian-esque combo of detection range and rudder shift time, while both have IJN slow turning gun turrets, and slow torpedoes in the sub-standard IJN triple launcher setup. Akatsuki is very much inferior to the Mahan, which itself is only an average boat - the only thing it does better is straight line top speed, otherwise Mahan is a better scout, better gunboat, and a better torpedoboat.

Well, ok, I guess you can waste your time playing boats that AREN'T actually good, and I'll be here getting easy wins in the objectively good Akatsuki and the decent Hatsuharu.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I actually like the 3x3 launchers on the Akatsuki, because you can launch torps short, long, and down the middle and usually get a hit or 3.

Im sure NTRabbit will tell me how wrong i am.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Well, ok, I guess you can waste your time playing boats that AREN'T actually good, and I'll be here getting easy wins in the objectively good Akatsuki and the decent Hatsuharu.

Hey. Don't look down on Mahan.

3x3 launchers are the best, however.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I prefer the quad and quint launchers for the same reason I prefer US torpedo bombers to IJN ones, the pattern stays tighter at the same range. Firing two quads is just more likely to earn you longer range hits than three triples.

Hazdoc posted:

Akatsuki is objectively bad. I'd call it the worst tier 7 DD, but I can't make that claim without having driven Shiratsuyu or Leberecht Maass yet.

If they want the Akatsuki to work they need to reduce the turn radius, and knock about 600-800m off of its detection range, it's completely non functional otherwise. It's way too easily spotted, and when it's spotted it's way too easily killed, because it takes a massive, lazy arc to shift itself around and run away.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 13, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I prefer the quad and quint launchers for the same reason I prefer US torpedo bombers to IJN ones, the pattern stays tighter at the same range. Firing two quads is just more likely to earn you longer range hits than three triples.

Akatsuki is objectively bad. I'd call it the worst tier 7 DD, but I can't make that claim without having driven Shiratsuyu or Leberecht Maass yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1YY54RI5YY

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So I've been seeing several [SEAMN] tags floating around + one of you guys apparently having to fight support over it. So what does it take to get your clan tag added to your name?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

So I've been seeing several [SEAMN] tags floating around + one of you guys apparently having to fight support over it. So what does it take to get your clan tag added to your name?

Right now iirc the SEAMN tag isnt under control of goons due to wargaming loving up and distributing clans at random seemingly.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

no bones about it posted:

Right now iirc the SEAMN tag isnt under control of goons due to wargaming loving up and distributing clans at random seemingly.

Neat.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

NTRabbit posted:

If they want the Akatsuki to work they need to reduce the turn radius, and knock about 600-800m off of its detection range, it's completely non functional otherwise. It's way too easily spotted, and when it's spotted it's way too easily killed, because it takes a massive, lazy arc to shift itself around and run away.

I noticed the rudder time before I started playing it and got the rudder shift mod instead of propulsion, and had no problems with it. I don't much know what to tell you otherwise since the player base is doing well with it and I have like 60%/38k on it. Spam HE at fat ships while your torps are inc is basically my go to scenario

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lighting a battleship on fire and watching him put out the fire and then blunder into my torp wall with his DC on cooldown makes my dick hard, how about you?

(I never usually get this lucky :smith:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The best feeling is when you die and the ship you torped is undetected but you get to stick around and watch your flooding damage keep ticking up, up... maybe a kill even