Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Lord Koth posted:

Note that as far as I'm aware, people didn't so much have a problem with flying suits in R2, so much as with the Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements and the Lancelot Albion specifically.

I think most viewers wouldn't have minded the flying units, in practice, if they had good battle choreography. Which they only received like 2 or 3 times at most. Then again, I suppose the animators needed to take a break.

I am mixed about SEITEN and Albion. I can see your point, but still like their designs. It's really their respective debuts that are super one-sided and kind of anti-climatic. The final duel between them was legitimately great and holds up.

ninjewtsu posted:

Did anything ever come of the note shirley wrote before her first mind wipe, that the camera kept cutting back to to remind you that shirley has this ticking dramabomb crumpled under her bed or whatever?

It's been a bit but I seem to recall that never actually factoring into the story and being really disappointed/frustrated with it

Shirley was presumably going to confront Lelouch about the letter, but with the R2 reset they ended up needing to have her forget everything again. So when she finally remembers and becomes paranoid about things, leading to drama, it's less about the letter in particular (by then it's just another part of the sudden rush of memories).

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Again, I hold it less against the Black Knights as a whole because honestly, Lelouch being responsible for the Euphinator thing is still pretty damning.

We know it wasn't really his fault as the audience, but in universe, how would that really come across?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
What's wrong with kallen being kidnapped? It put her character in a new situation instead of just endless "she's really mad and melts people with her robot arm/she's really awkward around lelouch" scenes like in s1

don't get me wrong melting people is rad as hell but her interactions with nunnally and suzaku (especially when she beats the hell outta him) and lelouch freaking out over getting her back are all scenes that are cool & wouldn't happen without this.

it's not like she doesn't eventually go back to melting stuff and being even radder

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

darealkooky posted:

What's wrong with kallen being kidnapped? It put her character in a new situation instead of just endless "she's really mad and melts people with her robot arm/she's really awkward around lelouch" scenes like in s1

don't get me wrong melting people is rad as hell but her interactions with nunnally and suzaku (especially when she beats the hell outta him) and lelouch freaking out over getting her back are all scenes that are cool & wouldn't happen without this.

it's not like she doesn't eventually go back to melting stuff and being even radder

It could've been 5-6 episodes shorter. 8 episodes a total badass character is stuck sitting in jail is uncool. Rescue Arcs or having a character who's essentially considered a main reduced to essentially an extra hurts for people who enjoy those characters in favor of... Gino. :geno:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It also gave us this gem (britannians are assholes.jpg)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Because it doesn't actually do anything interesting, it just forced her to sit in a box and have people talk at her with no actual meaningful change in any way except giving her time with Gino, The Worst Character, and the excellent scene where she fucks Suzaku's poo poo up.

Basically everything involving Gino is terrible to be fair, including his ugly-rear end robot and his terrible voice actor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't particularly like Gino, but why is he hated so extremely? I'm just curious as to why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't particularly like Gino, but why is he hated so extremely? I'm just curious as to why.

He's a dull boring character clearly shoehorned in to give a 'good' Brittanian without actually having the care to make him an interesting person, voiced by Soichiro Hoshi doing his lovely nice guy voice, with a really ugly robot. He's basically got no redeeming features but gets a bunch of screentime because he fills a plot niche otherwise unfilled. He's just a big ol' boring waste of time.

He isn't even entertainingly flamboyant in a show where 90% of the cast is entertainingly flamboyant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can see that.

I just find him boring and hate the idea of him hooking up with Kallen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can see that.

I just find him boring and hate the idea of him hooking up with Kallen.

Yes, them trying to wave their hands at romantic tension with Kallen is also another of his flaws because lol at the concept.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kallen is too good for anyone in this show.

But I would watch a sitcom about her and C.C. living together.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wielder posted:

This has been posted elsewhere by now and you might want to take it with a grain of salt, but....here's what people claim they saw in the PV/concept movie for the upcoming Code Geass sequel:

quote:

-Suzaku comes flying from the mountain to the center of the screen

Nothing that really spoils much, but I guess we won't see more until circa 2018.

Is it dumb that when I first read this, I immediately imagined Spinzaku's gravity-defying powers and not the more logical, he's in his KMF?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like the Tristan but then I love Starscream so.

Gino's big problem is they're trying to have a nice guy Britannian but A: they already HAVE A BUNCH OF THOSE WHO ARE WAY BETTER and B: it makes no sense for him to be a total loyalist like he is when literally all his friends are Numbers and Commoners and his backstory (which isn't in the show) is all about how he hates the class divide

e: Kallen/Gino makes me only slightly less salty than Kallen/Suzaku bitch don't you be selling that golden calf poo poo around here

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am not entirely opposed to Kallen/Suzaku.

But then I am also the only person in the world who has some sympathy for Suzaku.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Is it dumb that when I first read this, I immediately imagined Spinzaku's gravity-defying powers and not the more logical, he's in his KMF?

Not that much, because the staff knows and appreciates the power of Spinzaku. He might well be jumping down the mountain!

Rodyle posted:

Gino's big problem is they're trying to have a nice guy Britannian but A: they already HAVE A BUNCH OF THOSE WHO ARE WAY BETTER

At this point, even the cast of Oz the Reflection (manga) does a better job of proving not all Britannian military people are into literal genocide. He's really just totally boring.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 11, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

I am not entirely opposed to Kallen/Suzaku.

But then I am also the only person in the world who has some sympathy for Suzaku.

The dude tried to drug her I'm pretty sure that boat got torpedoed

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wielder posted:

At this point, even the cast of Oz the Reflection (manga) does a better job of proving not all Britannian military people are into literal genocide. He's really just totally boring.
I love that Imperialist Euphie's philosophy is literally "I can end war by defeating all other countries and making Britannia stand alone" :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

Gino's big problem is they're trying to have a nice guy Britannian but A: they already HAVE A BUNCH OF THOSE WHO ARE WAY BETTER and B: it makes no sense for him to be a total loyalist like he is when literally all his friends are Numbers and Commoners and his backstory (which isn't in the show) is all about how he hates the class divide

People in real life are routinely even worse at the whole "have motivations that don't contradict each other" thing, so while it's not a stellar example of writing, it's not unrealistic

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wielder posted:

I think most viewers wouldn't have minded the flying units, in practice, if they had good battle choreography. Which they only received like 2 or 3 times at most. Then again, I suppose the animators needed to take a break.

I am mixed about SEITEN and Albion. I can see your point, but still like their designs. It's really their respective debuts that are super one-sided and kind of anti-climatic. The final duel between them was legitimately great and holds up.

Well I do agree with them looking nice, because they do. But you also nicely encapsulated the problem. The "final duel between them", because everything else was just chaff to them at that point. As soon as they appeared, any even pretensions of the tactics portion people liked about the show went out the window, because suits that wipe out basically entire armies in moments sort of make complex ones irrelevant.

Going back to the enemy ace thing, especially with the Knights of the Round you could easily see that the staff realized they'd completely hosed up their time schedule and just had to get rid of them fast to finish in 24 episodes. All the knights previously introduced had custom frames and then Suzaku blows through all that were left, other than Bismarck, that were all piloting... Vincent Commanders. What, Britannia could only afford 4 custom frames for them (5 counting Lancelot)? Time certainly shouldn't have been, given Gino's and Anya's were definitely done before the series even started, and there was a fair amount of time between the start and end of R2.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I love that Imperialist Euphie's philosophy is literally "I can end war by defeating all other countries and making Britannia stand alone" :allears:

You kid, but that is both a less preachy variation of Suzaku's point of view mixed with Lelouch's early spiel about "it's simple, someone has to win for fighting to end." Still makes for a better character than Gino, all in all, even if that's not saying much.

Lord Koth posted:

All the knights previously introduced had custom frames and then Suzaku blows through all that were left, other than Bismarck, that were all piloting... Vincent Commanders. What, Britannia could only afford 4 custom frames for them (5 counting Lancelot)? Time certainly shouldn't have been, given Gino's and Anya's were definitely done before the series even started, and there was a fair amount of time between the start and end of R2.

Probably just thought it wasn't worth coming up with entirely new mecha designs and fully animating them for a battle that was supposed to be a one-sided display of power and a way to get rid of any other meaningful opposition to Lelouch's rule. Incidentally...they've actually gone back and given proper custom robots to a few of the missing Knights of the Round, in newer side materials, but of course they're still not supposed to be a match for the Albion.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 11, 2016

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
The way I look at it is that Season 1 is a good show with some particularly good moments, and Season 2 is a bad show with some really loving amazing moments. I've watched season 1 all the way through multiple times since it came out, while R2 has a bunch of episodes I either skip or fast forward through. That said, those moments that R2 gets its poo poo together for 5 minutes and does something cool are, to me, the reason people still get hyped about Code Geass 10 years later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was going through some clips and there are some pretty good character moments out of R2. Usually involving Lelouch, Kallen, or both.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The way I look at it is that Season 1 is a good show with some particularly good moments, and Season 2 is a bad show with some really loving amazing moments. I've watched season 1 all the way through multiple times since it came out, while R2 has a bunch of episodes I either skip or fast forward through. That said, those moments that R2 gets its poo poo together for 5 minutes and does something cool are, to me, the reason people still get hyped about Code Geass 10 years later.

This is kind of my take on it yeah. S1 is a good show but all my actual favorite parts are in R2, even as R2 ruined a lot of what I actually liked.

wielder posted:

You kid, but that is both a less preachy variation of Suzaku's point of view mixed with Lelouch's early spiel about "it's simple, someone has to win for fighting to end." Still makes for a better character than Gino, all in all, even if that's not saying much.

well I'm not fighting that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AnacondaHL posted:

Someone on the show staff had a fetish for this stuff didn't he?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone on the show staff had a fetish for this stuff didn't he?

Might be Takahiro Kimura (anyone remember Godannar?) or Hisayuki Tabata (who went to work on F/SN UBW TV).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the food and the gag that is the joke.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

I like the Tristan but then I love Starscream so.

It's actually really realistic to have a incredibly privileged upper class white guy who thinks he's totally cool and progressive and because he has some minority friends and totally thinks that the current government is super lovely while not acknowledging how much the status quo benefits him.

I mean Gino is still a horrible awful character who sucks but cognitive dissonance like this is effectively the normal state of the majority of human beings.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Huh, somehow I totally missed that before.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think Code Geass R1 is good and R2 is not good but is a wild ride that sometimes peaks higher than R1 and is a lot of fun. My main problem with season 2 is that a lot of the cool and smart plans and tactics and tricks in season 1 go completely out the window in favour of "a wizard did it" and having a robot that is basically just Goku. Admittedly that is a cool and smart plan, but not really of the same quality. Sidelining Kallen for so long is also a crime.

I watched it once it was all over and done and wondered what the complaints about the China part's length were too, but I remember people complaining that Simon being miserable in Gurren Lagann dragged on forever when it aired and I think that lasts two and a half episodes as well so I guess watching things week to week makes it seem that much longer.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

EthanSteele posted:

I think Code Geass R1 is good and R2 is not good but is a wild ride that sometimes peaks higher than R1 and is a lot of fun. My main problem with season 2 is that a lot of the cool and smart plans and tactics and tricks in season 1 go completely out the window in favour of "a wizard did it" and having a robot that is basically just Goku. Admittedly that is a cool and smart plan, but not really of the same quality. Sidelining Kallen for so long is also a crime.

I watched it once it was all over and done and wondered what the complaints about the China part's length were too, but I remember people complaining that Simon being miserable in Gurren Lagann dragged on forever when it aired and I think that lasts two and a half episodes as well so I guess watching things week to week makes it seem that much longer.

Honestly I never had issues with China's length back when I first watched the second season but then again I had been following the English Dub on [as] up until Season 1 Episode 20 when they shoved it to 5AM and started watching the Japanese version from that point up until the very end of R2 (Which I caught like right when it ended) so I was able to steamroll my way through instead of waiting week to week, it wasn't until I rewatched those episodes (S1E20 Thru all of R2) that I felt how much of a slog China, the Geass Cult were (Didn't help that 10 episodes to the end they decided to start R2 from the beginning and show two episodes a night) especially with the double whammy of Kallen being shooed into a Jail cell and C.C. going amnesiac, essentially shoving two main characters out of the picture in favor of.... Gino, Anya, that dude who thought murdering a bunch of evil cultists was a massacre, and Ohgi's stupid bullshit.

And for those who say how Gino's Japanese voice sucks, his English voice isn't much better. At the very least from what I read of Renya his identical ancestor isn't as much of a toolbag.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

wielder posted:

Might be Takahiro Kimura (anyone remember Godannar?) or Hisayuki Tabata (who went to work on F/SN UBW TV).

Definitely Takahiro. If nothing else, he is very consistent with his take on women after Godanner, Gaogaigar, and Gun X Sword

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tae posted:

Definitely Takahiro. If nothing else, he is very consistent with his take on women after Godanner, Gaogaigar, and Gun X Sword

So what, light bondage and table humping?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

China has some of my favorite Lelouch Is A Hero moments, such as betting on Suzaku's ownership with Schneizel, holding a 9 year old hostage at gunpoint, and dramatically slaughtering a huge chunk of the Chinese army by dramatically playing piano.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Rodyle posted:

China has some of my favorite Lelouch Is A Hero moments, such as betting on Suzaku's ownership with Schneizel, holding a 9 year old hostage at gunpoint, and dramatically slaughtering a huge chunk of the Chinese army by dramatically playing piano.

I thought it was dramatic Mavis Beacon that wrecked the Chinese army.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh yeah it was typing. What mech series am I thinking of where the cockpit sequence looks like a dramatic two hand piano scale

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

really you can't "comfortably" ship Suzaku with anyone by the end because he's done something unfortunate all across the board.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

well there's arthur

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so a cat and a dead girl

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

really you can't "comfortably" ship Suzaku with anyone by the end because he's done something unfortunate all across the board.

I think Cecille still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really get that pairing.

She's more like his mom. Even if the side material tries to speak differently.

anyway I'm more saying "nothing you do with this guy doesn't have unfortunate implications so go with whatever you want."

The same is true for Lelouch but he's currently a corpse.