Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that was better than almost anything on the show ever was. Is the comic actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is he wearing a sport jacket, over a hoodie, over a turtleneck?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

It's a hooded sport coat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

It's the Sport Hood Blur!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So Superman just broke into someone's house?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

So Superman just broke into someone's house?

Well, yeah, he's Superman not Dracula.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If its okay with y'all that Batman regularly breaks into peoples' houses, then Superman can get away with it too.

I oddly like that art style, but I watch a lot of anime so I may be biased.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I'm sure he locked the door behind him, you guys.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
He's gotta be hot in all of those layers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm really glad they draw him like Superman and not Tom Welling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's Superman, not Fashionman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm really glad they draw him like Superman and not Tom Welling.

Tom Welling refused to okay his likeness rights aside from covers. I poo poo you not.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'll try to contain my heartbreak. :toot::toot::toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Tom Welling refused to okay his likeness rights aside from covers. I poo poo you not.

Why the gently caress would you agree to one and not the other?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

:20bux::20bux::20bux:, if I had to take a wild guess.

VVV What. THAT'S why the costume never shows up?! :psyboom: I suddenly hate Tom Welling even more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skwirl posted:

This is the dude who agreed to star on a ten year show as Superman and refused to ever wear the costume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

When the season 11 comics started they sent samples of covers and interiors to him and he didn't approve the interiors. After like 8 months he stopped approving the covers as well.

Because he's a bitch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does anyone have the page in... I think it's Batman 66' Where Alfred delivers Alan Scott's oath "I shall shed my light over dark evil. For the dark things cannot stand the light," to a depressed bats?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

Does anyone have the page in... I think it's Batman 66' Where Alfred delivers Alan Scott's oath "I shall shed my light over dark evil. For the dark things cannot stand the light," to a depressed bats?

It was the Mike Allred issue of Solo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

It was the Mike Allred issue of Solo.

Thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Welling's weird loathing of Superman is bizarre because it isn't like the dude has a meaningful career outside of that. You'd figure he'd want to profit off it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Tom Welling's weird loathing of Superman is bizarre because it isn't like the dude has a meaningful career outside of that. You'd figure he'd want to profit off it.

He seriously thought he was going to leave the show and be a huge film star.

And when that didn't pan out he tried super loving hard to get the Superman gig on Supergirl. He was tweeting gym pics with captions like "ready to suit up!" And when he didn't get it he deleted most of them. It's be sad if he wasn't such a oval office.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

And when that didn't pan out he tried super loving hard to get the Superman gig on Supergirl. He was tweeting gym pics with captions like "ready to suit up!" And when he didn't get it he deleted most of them. It's be sad if he wasn't such a oval office.

Then the Superman they got for Supergirl was more Superman in 5 seconds than he was in 10 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Then the Superman they got for Supergirl was more Superman in 5 seconds than he was in 10 years.

I loving love Tiny Clark. He's just perfect in the role. I've been a Smallville hater since the middle of the second season and had Welling gotten the gig it would have been enough for me to quit watching Supergirl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Haha, seriously?

Man, what an idiot. He had a 10 year career as one of the world's biggest superheroes and was too much of an rear end to be happy about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Haha, seriously?

Man, what an idiot. He had a 10 year career as one of the world's biggest superheroes and was too much of an rear end to be happy about it.

There was a goon who was a PA on the show who spilled a ton of dirt about it back when the show was airing. And the likeness stuff was some stuff Miller was talking about on Facebook last year.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

There was a goon who was a PA on the show who spilled a ton of dirt about it back when the show was airing. And the likeness stuff was some stuff Miller was talking about on Facebook last year.

Can you link to it, please? I love reading about stuff like this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Can you link to it, please? I love reading about stuff like this.

The goon stuff is long gone. I'll have to look for Miller's posts..

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Because it isn't a joke. I read the issue. It goes into a long detailed backstory that genuinely attempts to evoke pathos and sadness for Fred and Barney being tricked into a genocidal war where Barnie attempts to redeem himself and find happiness by adopting the last surviving child of the people he killed.

There is black humor in Flintstones. That isn't it. You can tell the difference because Flintstones is *blunt as gently caress* about both its humor and its emotional beats. Trying to defend it with "It's supposed to be funny!!!" doesn't work when you actually read the context and see that it's doing a genuine story about PTSD. (And if it was trying to be funny then, as someone else stated, it's *really loving gross* to make fun of ignore soldiers suffering from PTSD.)

Like yeah, something that is at once emotional and black humor in the Flintstones is the soldier waiting on hold on the suicide hotline, but that is blunt as hell throughout the entire issue.

Where can I find these panels?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Found this one on KYM.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

So actually, having looked deeper into the Flintstones based upon your ringing endorsement, I have determined that having an issue devoted to Fred and Barnie being goaded into a genocidal war against The Tree People to take their land and build Bedrock, and now the middle school sports team being The Fighting Treepeople, that The Flintstones is Cool and Good.

Also the marriage issue seems to be very much not about gay marriage and much more about marriage as a whole with a brief footnote on gay marriage so maybe ImpAtom you're laser focusing on little bits instead of the big picture.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

So actually, having looked deeper into the Flintstones based upon your ringing endorsement, I have determined that having an issue devoted to Fred and Barnie being goaded into a genocidal war against The Tree People to take their land and build Bedrock, and now the middle school sports team being The Fighting Treepeople, that The Flintstones is Cool and Good.

Also the marriage issue seems to be very much not about gay marriage and much more about marriage as a whole with a brief footnote on gay marriage so maybe ImpAtom you're laser focusing on little bits instead of the big picture.

Yeah the marriage issue is "People react poorly to something new because it appears different to them, and then once it becomes accepted, it'll further turn on the outside group." Which we have plenty of examples of in real life for the message to be pretty true. With the "Holy-poo poo-too-real" moments of Caveman Sagan talking about the binding force of the universe being loneliness, and Fred being frank that he's terrified of losing Wilma.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is like that Doug comic where it gets super serious and skeeter says "No, what you did was rape. You raped Patti. HONK HONK"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

purple death ray posted:

This is like that Doug comic where it gets super serious and skeeter says "No, what you did was rape. You raped Patti. HONK HONK"
Pretty much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Yeah the marriage issue is "People react poorly to something new because it appears different to them, and then once it becomes accepted, it'll further turn on the outside group." Which we have plenty of examples of in real life for the message to be pretty true. With the "Holy-poo poo-too-real" moments of Caveman Sagan talking about the binding force of the universe being loneliness, and Fred being frank that he's terrified of losing Wilma.

I have no problem with the concept. I have problem with the lazy execution where it uses word-for-word gay marriage arguments without it makes even the vaguest sense. (The internal comic argument is supposed to be about 'sex caves' vs marriage) Like I get the idea of what it's doing. it is just bad at doing it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I have no problem with the concept. I have problem with the lazy execution where it uses word-for-word gay marriage arguments without it makes even the vaguest sense. (The internal comic argument is supposed to be about 'sex caves' vs marriage) Like I get the idea of what it's doing. it is just bad at doing it.

No see. They resolved that. They resolved the Sex Caves vs Marriage and then, the moment the next thing came along "Well how about two people of the same sex getting married." the previously prosecuted priest who was treated as an outlaw, mentioning how anything new has to grow in, and needs a chance to fail on its own... becomes the mob because now he's with the In group. And upon having it pointed out that he was just in the same position, and that it's entirely hypocritical, he goes "Yeah I probably got a lot of thinking to do... but I probably wont."

The joke/message is "People are hypocrites"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Onmi posted:

Pretty much

Why in the gently caress is Fred serious about anything? Also why isn't he eating a giant plate of ribs the size of his house?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

A Flintstones comic is the most divisive comic book topic in 2016, I loving love all of this

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think people would be way more forgiving of it if it was drawn just like the Hanna Barbara version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have a question about Smallville and Welling, but I am going to take it over to the monthly chat thread so to not derail this one any more than it is already.