Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

First volume of super cute ghost series You  Will  Hear  The  Voice  Of  The  Dead is finished now, it's the best horror running.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/you-will-hear-the-voice-of-the-dead-r18289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
birdmen is so fuckin good, you guys

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Promised Neverland is surprisingly good. It's not like there's a singular "Whoa" moment, but every two chapters or so has a slightly unexpected way to develop the plot and combined with the super tense premise it's more than enough to keep my attention. It's the kind of thing that I can't say if it will turn out good or not since it's so early on, but it's keeping a VERY good atmosphere of suspense. I look forward to it every week and yeah, it's just pretty fun. Kinda of thing that I hesitate to recommend to people because of how this kind of series can turn out great or terrible depending on how the plot turns, but so far it's doing a great job at keeping me interested in everything.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hopeford posted:

Promised Neverland is surprisingly good. It's not like there's a singular "Whoa" moment, but every two chapters or so has a slightly unexpected way to develop the plot and combined with the super tense premise it's more than enough to keep my attention. It's the kind of thing that I can't say if it will turn out good or not since it's so early on, but it's keeping a VERY good atmosphere of suspense. I look forward to it every week and yeah, it's just pretty fun. Kinda of thing that I hesitate to recommend to people because of how this kind of series can turn out great or terrible depending on how the plot turns, but so far it's doing a great job at keeping me interested in everything.

Due to being busy and generally lazy it's been a long time since I've sought out and read any scanned manga on my own. Because of that, I'm so drat thankful that WSJ both ran The Promised Neverland and added it to the line-up because it's one that I would never have found and followed on my own but love as a series and look forward to ever week. It's got an interesting world full of potential and some drat smart and spry kids that fill the children-plotting-against-their-parent-figure-sized AssClass hole in my week.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What i like about neverland vis a vis assclass is that there is no cliche school manga emotional baggage.
It's found its purpose as a mystery/survival sort of thing and its doing it very well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly I'm wondering how the gently caress they'll end up getting all/most of the kids out of there (if they do at all; I'm kinda leaning towards most of them dying, just because it would be easier to write several kids vs like 20).

The other sister that came seems really dumb. Does she really think that these kids will believe her about helping them? I guess it could be the case that she's used to other farms and the kids at this farm are just way smarter than she's used to dealing with, though she should have learned that from the tag game. At the very least it seems like we can count on the main cast to not do anything obviously stupid.

edit: also, Don is a badass for successfully pick-pocketing Mama. Though it makes me wonder how in the gently caress he acquired that skill.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly I'm wondering how the gently caress they'll end up getting all/most of the kids out of there (if they do at all; I'm kinda leaning towards most of them dying, just because it would be easier to write several kids vs like 20).

I'm sincerely expecting Ray to end up using the kids as a distraction to make sure only the named ones survive. It fits with what has been foreshadowed about him only thinking of saving the top 3 and he could maybe bullshit that he tried saving everyone, it just wasn't possible.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hopeford posted:

I'm sincerely expecting Ray to end up using the kids as a distraction to make sure only the named ones survive. It fits with what has been foreshadowed about him only thinking of saving the top 3 and he could maybe bullshit that he tried saving everyone, it just wasn't possible.

Worse than that, I think he'll try to play them so only he survives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Worse than that, I think he'll try to play them so only he survives.

They did hint at his desire to save the other two not being genuine, though I interpreted that more as "he does care about them, but ultimately he cares more about himself and is using them as an excuse to optimize his own chances of survival."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

The other sister that came seems really dumb. Does she really think that these kids will believe her about helping them? I guess it could be the case that she's used to other farms and the kids at this farm are just way smarter than she's used to dealing with, though she should have learned that from the tag game. At the very least it seems like we can count on the main cast to not do anything obviously stupid.

Krone is just blinded by ambition.

theory: the three aspects of a witches coven/triple godess/whatever: the mother, the crone and the maiden. who would that be I wonder...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

theory: the three aspects of a witches coven/triple godess/whatever: the mother, the crone and the maiden. who would that be I wonder...

It's obviously glasses girls, I don't trust her. I have no actual evidence for feeling this way, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn, more adam dudley and a new chapter of hinamatsuri in the span of 5 minutes

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The hero arrives on the scene. Cowabunga! Testicle Tuesday!!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is "Testicle Tuesday" a thing in Texas?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

if not, then it should be

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Testicle Tuesday is a classic Texan tradition.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What, you never had Rocky Mountain Oysters for the Tuesday blue plate special??

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Some people were saying Dudley was gonna get chumped because he was a backstoryless mook, now WHAM.

Go Dudley, MAKE 'MURICA proud.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been enjoying that other ballroom dancing manga (not Ballroom e Youkoso, but the other one). I like how the muscular fro guy isn't just some gay stereotype comic relief and is an actual character with a personality who people interact with normally. The main character's dancing partner/maybe love interest is also pretty cool and a bit unusual as far as shounen female love interests go.

Another kind of interesting thing is how the main character and his partner aren't really exceptional in any way, and it's been explicitly stated that their 2nd year upperclassmen were more talented than them when they started out. It has less of a shounen sports manga feel as a result, with the 2nd year guy feeling more like a typical sports shounen protagonist than the MC. It feels more like a story about the main characters having fun dancing as a school club/hobby than a "AIMING FOR THE TOP" competitive sports manga.

One minor issue is that it's kinda hard to determine how well the characters are dancing from the art. I imagine this is mostly just because it's really hard to convey that through images, but it seems like every time the characters dance and aren't actively loving up they look mostly the same. Ballroom e Youkoso has better art overall, but this one is also pretty decent.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are you perhaps talking about Straighten Up? I like that series.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Yeah, it's Straighten Up, the Shonen Jump dancing manga. I wish it had gotten picked up in the English Jump, and am constantly amazed at its continuing publication.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's probably my favorite ongoing sports manga along with Haikyu, though I think I actually like Straighten Up more, partly because I find ballroom dancing cooler and more interesting than volleyball. I also like how Straighten Up includes more than just the sport, while Haikyu is more focused just on the sport alone.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Does that mean it's better than Ballroom e Youkoso, or does that not count as on-going at the moment?

Also, Asahi Nagu is the best, everyone read that. :(

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Ballroom e Youkoso is the best ongoing sports/drama manga period.

Hopefully the hiatus comes to an end soon.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm starting to think it's easier to survive in Shonen Jump's weekly Hunger Games if you stake out a niche but interesting basis for a story (i.e., ballroom dancing) rather than try to compete for a spot on the three pillars of battle manga/sports manga/tits manga. (This isn't a knock on Straighten Up, fwiw)

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
The second best thing about Straighten Up is the way the main character keeps trying to think of Sports Manga moves for his dancing. The best thing is the fat dancer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, I like how some recent chapters had "X is a shounen manga protagonist" at the end. In general I really enjoy the characters and humor in that series. It's just fun to read and I feel happy watching the protagonist and his partner enjoying dancing. It's kind of refreshing to have a protagonist in a sports manga who is just doing it for fun instead of trying to be THE BEST.

darkgray posted:

Does that mean it's better than Ballroom e Youkoso, or does that not count as on-going at the moment?

Also, Asahi Nagu is the best, everyone read that. :(

Oh I somehow forgot about that (despite just mentioning it). Yeah, I consider Ballroom e Youkoso also a top sports manga and like it a bit more than Straighten Up (though there are aspects of Straighten Up I like more - I enjoy its cast more than Ballroom, though Ballroom is better from the sports angle and has absolutely outstanding art).

edit: I'm biased by the fact that I think dancing is super cool though and really wish I did it as a hobby back in college. I went to a ballroom dancing lesson with my friend in NYC once after graduating and it was so much fun! I thought I would be uncoordinated and terrible at it, but I got the hang of it pretty fast and had a great time. I highly recommend trying it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 21, 2016

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Ballroom e Youkoso is the best ongoing sports/drama manga period.

Hopefully the hiatus comes to an end soon.

Good news, it's returning in 2017.

Ytlaya posted:

I've been enjoying that other ballroom dancing manga (not Ballroom e Youkoso, but the other one). I like how the muscular fro guy isn't just some gay stereotype comic relief and is an actual character with a personality who people interact with normally. The main character's dancing partner/maybe love interest is also pretty cool and a bit unusual as far as shounen female love interests go.

Another kind of interesting thing is how the main character and his partner aren't really exceptional in any way, and it's been explicitly stated that their 2nd year upperclassmen were more talented than them when they started out. It has less of a shounen sports manga feel as a result, with the 2nd year guy feeling more like a typical sports shounen protagonist than the MC. It feels more like a story about the main characters having fun dancing as a school club/hobby than a "AIMING FOR THE TOP" competitive sports manga.

One minor issue is that it's kinda hard to determine how well the characters are dancing from the art. I imagine this is mostly just because it's really hard to convey that through images, but it seems like every time the characters dance and aren't actively loving up they look mostly the same. Ballroom e Youkoso has better art overall, but this one is also pretty decent.

One thing I like about Straighten Up is that it's one of the few sports titles I've read where the coaches are actually teaching the MC to improve his dancing. There's no cryptic clue giving about what he needs to do to get better, they just tell him straight up what to do and what to practice.

Also, Tsuchiya and Watari are one of Jump's most adorable couples right now. I know it's cheesy, but I still like Tsuchi having them dance to One Direction during the school festival to help build Watari's confidence.:3:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Its an Ace Ventura line.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-006-Ch-045?id=338960

:getin:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this guy really gets americans

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love this dumb manga so much.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's nice to finally see some proper representation of Americans in manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

I love this dumb manga so much.

its extremely good

i just wish it was released faster since we're on volume 6 of 18 so far

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Chapters have been coming out every 1-3 weeks. That's a decent rate.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

Chapters have been coming out every 1-3 weeks. That's a decent rate.

That would be falling behind the pace of actual releases.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Hokuto No Gun is translating like 10 series simultaneously

what, you worried you can't talk to your japanese friends about their thoughts on the latest chapter?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they do a good job and release chapters regularly. terrible translations and dropped projects are common enough that i don't see the need to complain.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they do a good job and release chapters regularly. terrible translations and dropped projects are common enough that i don't see the need to complain.

There wasn't any complaining; the guy just wished they came out faster.

Surely it's not hard to empathize with that position? "Hey this thing I like is good and I wish I got more of it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not complaining but i'd love to catch up. mostly since with a break from work i'd like to have a manga to binge through since i've either read/reread most battle manga sort of recently. other than stuff like naruto which i'm just not going to

more people itf need to read it though