Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They should probably nerf Ana's HPS (maybe through her clip size?) significantly so it's well below that of Mercy. She'd still have a niche as a burst healer with other powerful utility options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It depends on the enemy comp and the map. If they have lots of flankers you want to stay close so your team can protect you, otherwise it might be safer at a middle range. She's not actually a sniper though so don't wander way far away from your team.

yeah ive been hanging back a lot so i wasnt sure if that was correct or if i was bad, but its both, so itll be helpful rerunning this tomorrow

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They should probably nerf Ana's HPS (maybe through her clip size?) significantly so it's well below that of Mercy. She'd still have a niche as a burst healer with other powerful utility options.

they shouldn't make ana worthless imo

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Burst healing is the only relevant healing. If she also has strong utility, why would you play a sustained healer (like Mercy)?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

They already bumped her clip size up (it was 8 all thru her PTR phase and got bumped to 10 shortly afte release) because it was prohibitively small.

People should stop suggesting nerfs while remaining tone-deaf to the idea that small numerical changes can have huge consequences that make or break the viability not only of the character that received the nerf/buff, but also warping other characters by changing the relative power levels of the cast in general!!!!!!!!

Soldier 76 wasn't played at all at high levels before they buffed him. The buff in question was ratcheting up his gun's damage by 3 points per shot.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Burst healing is the only relevant healing. If she also has strong utility, why would you play a sustained healer (like Mercy)?

I still play mercy because her burst is not as bad as people say, and also because she has high sustained HPS while remaining more mobile than either Ana or Zen.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Make Mercy chain-heal with a 50% reduction in healing after each jump. So she becomes the defacto Deathball healer but sucks at everything else like now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
if you're Good, you can already heal deathballs with mercy just fine. Having a second healer helps, but having a second healer always helps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

What they should actually do is maybe nerf Ana slightly because she doesn't need to be the number one at healing while also being good at damaging and enabling the rest of her team and also have a projectile stun, then make Mercy better instead of deciding that underutilized characters should form the baseline that everyone else needs to be nerfed down to. The real problem with Ana/Mercy comparisons isn't even that Ana is Too Good though she probably is a bit, it's that Mercy is unfortunately lagging behind and things like the change to her self-heal don't really do anything to address the real shortcomings she faces. I would rather Ana only receive some minor adjustments and other less favorable heroes made better the same way that I'd rather Soldier and D.Va not get dumpstered like I'm seeing people on Reddit and Bnet whining about endlessly ever since this last patch just because they're both actually good and useful now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

replace mercy's damage buff with a speed buff

remove it entirely and give her a passive speed aura that can't be buffed and doesn't stack with lucio's. maybe the aura isn't as big either. seriously tho something else needs a speed boost so lucio can not be the best hero in the game. blizzard can nerf him all they want but as long as he has that, he's king of the hill in overwatch

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You could say he's king of King of the Hill.

*puts on sunglasses*
Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that was my joke yes, thank you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If they were going to nerf Ana they could just reduce the radius on her grenade back to what it was.

Right now it's such a ridiculous tool. If the enemy Rein's shield goes down before our Rein's, you better believe I'm chucking that grenade at that juicy clump of enemies. Heal denial is insanely effective, your team gets significantly easier picks AND you slow the enemy support's ult charge.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

There's definitely a case to be made about power creep, though. Soldier was one of those "less favorable heroes" and is now enjoying a complete role-reversal with McCree. I'd rather not see yet another round of changes to McCree for risk of the ridiculous period when he had 35m drop-off, for example.

Even Sombra could be the next DPS du jour if Blizzard isn't careful with changes.

I agree that Ana's pissjar needs review and is the root of some of the current issues perceived with the game.

All that said, as much as people rag on the 3 tank meta, I think the current state of the game is still more fun to play and watch than the Reaper beyblade shenanigans or Mercy on call 24/7.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got accused of hacking! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0h5DYXRKQU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not about power creep, it's about the shape of the meta and how heroes interact with each other. there is no overly centralizing hero right now except for lucio, whose best hero status was cemented before the game left beta. it's like when genji or pharah were at their peak; they weren't buffed into becoming overpowered, their counters were just bad or out of favor at the time. pre nerf genji wouldn't be any better in this meta than he is now because he's not good at dealing with tanks and his counters (barring mccree) are popular. you have to take the way heroes interactions as a whole when you think about balance, not just focus on one because then you miss the point

mccree's still good and better than soldier at some things, it's just that soldier is better against the common picks in this meta. if it weren't so tank heavy and genji/tracer were in every game, mccree would be played a lot more. as is, you might see the heroes that mccree counters, but you'll see more that soldier is better at dealing with either way so he's usually a better choice. as is, he's just a solid niche pick that you pull out when you need to or you feel on point that day since his damage is still higher than soldier's if you're clicking heads a lot. they dynamic between the two hitscan heroes is the best its ever been right now, as before now there was always one that was unfathomably better/worse than the other

the beyblade comp was also more varied than people give it credit for and what you saw at dreamhack didn't last that long. mercy meta was lame tho; so was zen's divecomp since it was so static

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm surprised that people cite 76's damage increase as an example of a small buff. 3 damage per shot on a DPS character who fires 10 shots per second and has an ult that scales up in power with his weapon seems clearly massive to me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

novaSphere posted:

All that said, as much as people rag on the 3 tank meta, I think the current state of the game is still more fun to play and watch than the Reaper beyblade shenanigans or Mercy on call 24/7.

I completely agree, although maybe it's just because most of the characters suffering in this patch (non-S76 DPS basically) are all characters I was terrible with. I feel like I have more choices in terms of effective hero picks than ever before and the reduced ult charge has been great for the game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I'm surprised that people cite 76's damage increase as an example of a small buff. 3 damage per shot on a DPS character who fires 10 shots per second and has an ult that scales up in power with his weapon seems clearly massive to me.

It's not a small buff no, a much better way to frame it would probably be "they raised Soldier's DPS from 170 to 200." It's a substantial boost in killing power. Of course, contextually Overwatch is a game where you have another character who's been able to dole out 140 damage hitscan headshots from reasonably good range every 0.5 seconds for quite some time now, so the idea that Soldier has suddenly become this grossly imbalanced killing machine the likes of which have never been seen before isn't borne out 100% either.

It's a "small" buff in that there isn't really a ton of wiggle room for incremental changes since it is only 3 damage per bullet. There's not a lot of fine granularity to tweak there if you're of the opinion that his damage is now too high. You can reduce it by 1 point or by 2 points, otherwise you're just reverting it back to "doesn't get picked" levels where we already know a 170 DPS Soldier winds up.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'd be ok with a game where Call of Duty Man does not get picked.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

I'd be ok with a game where Call of Duty Man does not get picked.

Well you missed your chance to experience literal months of that earlier then, when instead it was Cowboy Man that was picked all the time.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
How to counter Dva : Have Roadhog hook her and then everyone dogpile the poo poo out of her while she tries to run away.

I've been focusing on doing literally just that, and it's cancelled her out almost completely. Bonus points if you do it near a Torlbjorn turret.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zarya's still good and you can run her to shoot the d.va's of the world

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lovely Wizard posted:

How to counter Dva : Have Roadhog hook her and then everyone dogpile the poo poo out of her while she tries to run away.

I've been focusing on doing literally just that, and it's cancelled her out almost completely. Bonus points if you do it near a tolbjorn turret.

Just slapping her with an orb of discord basically forces her to waste a bunch of her defense matrix and gently caress off behind cover or risk getting burned down, even with Zarya getting picked less there are a number of ways you can make a D.Va's life unpleasant.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What do you peeps think would happen if, hypothetically, they cut the tanks health some, but removed headshots for everyone but Widowmaker and Hanzo?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lot of heroes would be really bad and hanzo would be the best hero in the game is what would happen

e: keep in mind that headshots effectively double your potential dps. cutting a little health off of tanks would not make up for that unless you are a sniper. especially when you factor in armor! 400 health winston would be an unholy terror if nobody could headshot because part of the way he's balanced is through his large head hitbox. of course, snipers seriously would not give a gently caress and become the end all be all of overwatch. if you remove 50 health from zarya, widow can oneshot her from full health. scatter arrow can already do that to her now, so giving anything 400 health but a bigger hitbox than zarya just makes them fodder for hanzo. heroes like tracer and mccree that depend a lot of headshots for their damage would be utterly worthless. it'd be incredibly difficult to kill heroes out of their ults as well so, while it may take longer to build them, they basically guarantee a fight... unless the other team has a sniper, of course

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 12, 2016

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In a perfect world where I could play videogames well and actually aim worth a drat with a PS4 controller I'd pick Ana over Mercy every time.

I do not live in such a world, however.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Kai Tave posted:

Just slapping her with an orb of discord basically forces her to waste a bunch of her defense matrix and gently caress off behind cover or risk getting burned down, even with Zarya getting picked less there are a number of ways you can make a D.Va's life unpleasant.

I've been playing quite a lot of D.Va lately and honestly, Zarya doesn't worry me greatly. If she shields, I stop shooting. If she's in beam range, I leave beam range. If she's long range nading they're slow enough to easily avoid or just pluck out of the air with a quick DM. Sure, she's hard to kill, but so is D.Va, and there are plenty of better ways to make D.Va's presence felt than going toe-to-toe with other tanks. The main characters I hate seeing are McCree if he pops out beside or behind me and gets the stun off, a Zen at mid-long range who's quick to hit that Discord, and Roadhog. But everyone hates seeing Roadhog anywhere at present.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bleck posted:

What do you peeps think would happen if, hypothetically, they cut the tanks health some, but removed headshots for everyone but Widowmaker and Hanzo?
I think drastically reducing the skill ceiling of this game would loving suck

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Bleck posted:

THis guys a Gearbox plant! Get him!!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Just make Mercy's pistol hit-scan.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dietrich posted:

Just make D.va's ultimate hit-scan.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

lovely Wizard posted:

I've been focusing on doing literally just that, and it's cancelled her out almost completely. Bonus points if you do it near a Torlbjorn turret.

Or, have a competent mei on the team. Wall her escape and freeze her.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So what should I make of the fact that I have a ~70% win rate with Lucio, who I do play most often, and a high 40s% rate with the other characters I play frequently often? Is Lucio just a slot that any bonehead could occupy and still help the team, or am I actually good with him? Am I critically hampering my team when I play other characters by sucking with them or just denying that slot to a better player?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So what should I make of the fact that I have a ~70% win rate with Lucio, who I do play most often, and a high 40s% rate with the other characters I play frequently often? Is Lucio just a slot that any bonehead could occupy and still help the team, or am I actually good with him? Am I critically hampering my team when I play other characters by sucking with them or just denying that slot to a better player?
bad players used to be able to contribute meaningfully with Lucio because of his auras, but both of them have been nerfed a lot so that's really not the case anymore. Regardless, knowing when to switch songs and when to amp has always had an impact on the game. Landing shots and knowing how and when to wallride are also important.

As to the latter, play what you want

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
How do I kill genji? From what I have read he isn't really in a good place right now, but it seems like if the other team has one who knows what he is doing he stays on fire the whole game and noone can kill him, even me... It seems like his mobility is somehow better than tracers and I have no idea how to kill him. What is the best counter to him so I can pick it and loving kill this drat ninja.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Roadhog hook, McCree flashbang, Zenyatta discord + headshots...
Mei can generally shut him down if not kill him outright. Winston can also shut him down.

He's honestly not that much of a problem these days.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fyallm posted:

How do I kill genji? From what I have read he isn't really in a good place right now, but it seems like if the other team has one who knows what he is doing he stays on fire the whole game and noone can kill him, even me... It seems like his mobility is somehow better than tracers and I have no idea how to kill him. What is the best counter to him so I can pick it and loving kill this drat ninja.

Zenyatta to stop him killing your team, Roadhog to kill him.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

lovely Wizard posted:

Hahaha you think people shoot dva when I hook her. Most matches i'll hook her two or three times in the space of a minute and she'll get away every time.

I can understand the first couple of times, but once you hit the third time how do you not go "oh roadhog is hooking her when she tries to block damage, i should help!" .

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I always try to hack hooked D.vas as Sombra because I'm helping

Seriously, the counter to D.va is to shoot her. She's a massive target that's fairly easy to headshot (although the :tinfoil: in me thinks her critbox was quietly shrunk) and Roadhog's hook is one of the most reliable ways to get big damage on her and force a retreat. If you're forcing her to eat up DM meter, then so be it--if she's guarding, she's not attacking, and then has to retreat to let her meter recharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dogstile posted:

Hahaha you think people shoot dva when I hook her. Most matches i'll hook her two or three times in the space of a minute and she'll get away every time.

I can understand the first couple of times, but once you hit the third time how do you not go "oh roadhog is hooking her when she tries to block damage, i should help!" .

Same but trying to direct fire on Bastion for the 1-2 seconds it takes to chew through a Reinshield or Winston Bubble. It isn't hard to kill a bastion or at least get it to run away, but finding a way to get everyone shooting at it according to plan is difficult on its own without an enemy Reinhardt complicating things. I mean the same goes for concentrating fire on the Reinshield but the time it takes to burn that down is just enough for the bastion to rip through your poo poo.

I mean you can distract the bastion long enough to get a Roadhog in position to hook it but then you're placing your hope on a cooperative Roadhog player and believe me that poo poo's hard when I play Roadhog because I keep wanting to go on anti-healer duty and tank-yanking duty after that.