Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Almost OSHA the show(Hydraulic press channel) managed to set things on fire with sunlight in Finland. Admittedly they are a lot closer to the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMY7v367Fm8

Myth Busters just hosed up and their method wasn't very good. They manage to do a lot of other things right so I am willing to give them a pass when they screw up here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
obama's "presidential challenge" to mythbusters was the death ray redo episode. they used hundreds (thousands?) of kids with body-sized mirrors, they used aiming reticules, and did it in cali at peak sunlight, and didnt even get close to making a fire

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
haha I love how that guy says "what the gently caress"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

Watch the follow-up video.

Oh I see.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

haha I love how that guy says "what the gently caress"

This is the best "what the gently caress" from him by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBBkuyhKltE&hd=1&t=50s

I crack up every time.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nuevo posted:

I crack up every time.

EET EES VAAARY DAYHNGEROOOUUEESS, AND WE MUST DEEAAAHHL WEETH EEETTT

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gorilla Salad posted:

I told this story in the old thread, but it's worth repeating just to reinforce the fact that people are idiots.

We have alternating tread stairs at several points in our warehouse and storage areas to save space. They look pretty much like this:

And half the people I work with, from office drones to chemists to engineers just cannot use them without losing their minds like that guy in the video you linked. They'll walk huge distances out of their way to find 'normal' stairs rather than use them.

I cant use these stupid things unless I go down them backwards. Theyre so steep theyre practically a ladder and my inner ear is telling me im going to fly off if I go down them forwards. Only going down though, going up is fine, probably because Im facing the stairs and can see them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nuevo posted:

I crack up every time.

I love this.
"At least it was wooden and not some cheating poo poo."

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I love this.
"At least it was wooden and not some cheating poo poo."

"What the gently caress!? I thought it should be like, steel ball. But there's some, like, of loving cheating inside."

:allears:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

I cant use these stupid things unless I go down them backwards. Theyre so steep theyre practically a ladder and my inner ear is telling me im going to fly off if I go down them forwards. Only going down though, going up is fine, probably because Im facing the stairs and can see them.

There's on of those in my plant and I can get up or down it but it's just so drat uncomfortable I avoid it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nuevo posted:

"What the gently caress!? I thought it should be like, steel ball. But there's some, like, of loving cheating inside."

:allears:

I love that channel so much. For all the bad terrible things in our connected world watching an old Scandinavian man smash things with a press and yell in hilarious English makes it all a little better. :unsmith:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti9RZlUs540
https://www.facebook.com/TrustMeImAMechanic/videos/1819733161644632/

There are a bunch of videos of people riding these things, but usually it's just one guy inside the mixing barrel.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

He doesn't even look very old in the few videos where you can see him

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

I love that channel so much. For all the bad terrible things in our connected world watching an old Scandinavian man smash things with a press and yell in hilarious English makes it all a little better. :unsmith:

pretty sure he's in his 20s or 30s. he has a second channel where he shows his machine shop (runs it with his semi-retired dad, iirc?) and does some other poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alternating tread stairs own and if I could put them everywhere I would.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Platystemon posted:

Alternating tread stairs own and if I could put them everywhere I would.

They are very dangerous for those of us who skip stairs up and down. It's easy to turn an ankle. Most people I work with skip two up and three down. It's hard to keep your timing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mostlygray posted:

They are very dangerous for those of us who skip stairs up and down. It's easy to turn an ankle. Most people I work with skip two up and three down. It's hard to keep your timing.

Don't skip steps.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I thought hydraulic press man was old too but he isn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXcByAHTV4

Sometimes I put things in the press at work but only stuff I'm sure won't cause trouble and get me fired, like foam, coke bottles, etc. I also tenderize my beef jerky that way some times when I have it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mostlygray posted:

Don't loving skip steps. Jesus goddamn christ.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What, so I should climb stairs like some ancient arthritic grandma?

My stride length fits two normal steps much better than it does one.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
HEY GUYS I DON"T NEED PPE. IT JUST SLOWS ME DOWN.

I CAN CARRY THESE TWO BAGS OF CEMENT AT A TIME. WHEELBARROWS JUST SLOW ME DOWN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Slide down the handrails like a pro.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dear forum users,

When I swan dive down the stairs at work it makes my head hurt, how should I bring up this faulty stair design at the next safety meeting.

Sincerely,
Concussed

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I thought hydraulic press man was old too but he isn't.

Yeah, he's 29 or 30.

There's some neat stuff on their secondary channel: Beyond The Press

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

What, so I should climb stairs like some ancient arthritic grandma?

My stride length fits two normal steps much better than it does one.

Are there any OSHA regulations about making steps long enough to accommodate an actual human foot? It's not a problem going up, but I've lost count of the times I've slid down a few steps while going down, since my options are basically "turn foot 60 degrees to the side" or "put all your weight on your heel because the front half of your foot is sticking out into space".

Sincerely,
    someone who wears size 13 clown shoes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Are there any OSHA regulations about making steps long enough to accommodate an actual human foot?

If your feet are no longer than 11″, yes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

oohhboy posted:

Almost OSHA the show(Hydraulic press channel) managed to set things on fire with sunlight in Finland. Admittedly they are a lot closer to the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMY7v367Fm8

Myth Busters just hosed up and their method wasn't very good. They manage to do a lot of other things right so I am willing to give them a pass when they screw up here and there.

Nobody's denying you can focus the sun to make fire, the specific of the myth was that people holding mirrors can provide the level of focus required.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Are there any OSHA regulations about making steps long enough to accommodate an actual human foot? It's not a problem going up, but I've lost count of the times I've slid down a few steps while going down, since my options are basically "turn foot 60 degrees to the side" or "put all your weight on your heel because the front half of your foot is sticking out into space".

Sincerely,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVEsf2M82I

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Powered Descent posted:

Sincerely,

Turn around and go down facing the ladder?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody's denying you can focus the sun to make fire, the specific of the myth was that people holding mirrors can provide the level of focus required.

Not having read the books on the Siege of Syracuse, is the story specifically about handheld mirrors/shields? Because it's trivially provable that you can set fires with convex fixed mirrors.

e: Even if they are handheld, how difficult is it to just set them on the ground? Having people literally holding the mirrors is such a nonsense point to focus on.

e2: And even if the best historical evidence is probably that it didn't happen for any number of reasons, calling it impossible by introducing unnecessary restrictions like flat (instead of parabolic) mirrors and not steadying the mirrors on the ground is basically massaging the test to reach a desired conclusion.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 12, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The discovery channel forums are over there guys.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Replay the Spirit Temple and get back to us.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

why is he even bothering to wear those socks if they are at that point?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not having read the books on the Siege of Syracuse, is the story specifically about handheld mirrors/shields? Because it's trivially provable that you can set fires with convex fixed mirrors.

e: Even if they are handheld, how difficult is it to just set them on the ground? Having people literally holding the mirrors is such a nonsense point to focus on.

e2: And even if the best historical evidence is probably that it didn't happen for any number of reasons, calling it impossible by introducing unnecessary restrictions like flat (instead of parabolic) mirrors and not steadying the mirrors on the ground is basically massaging the test to reach a desired conclusion.

Hopefully to end the derail yes, the story/legend was specifically that they were troops holding polished copper shields, and (more importantly) that they were aiming at a moving target, so fixing the mirrors wouldn't have been much help.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HPC's best video for me will always be the second paper explosion when they pressed the book. The safety shield got blown off it's questionable mounting and was likely more dangerous than the paper shrapnel. Obviously followed with"Wat DA FUUCCKK". I do very much enjoy his off brand English observations. There are channels like his before him, there are channels after, but I will always comeback to the poor English and his 100 Ton press.

He is going to make Finland great when he finishes the 1000 Ton press.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time I see that it reminds metal cover that supposedly got shot out at escape velocity from a nuclear test.

It is also amazing the amount of sewer gas that accumulated there. Anyone heard where the manhole cover went?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Sincerely,

Put on your best tailcoat and top hat and take the stairs sideways like one of those old-timey dancers. It is your destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Sincerely,

you know what they say about guys with big shoes ;)

they are inadequately protected by osha regulations on alternating tread stairs