Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, you might as well skip straight to Step 3, then!

If I've learned anything in my education class it's SMART goal setting and unfortunately that goal isn't specific, measurable, attainable, realistic or time based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

My life-plan right now:

1) Get out of Academia*
2) Go work at a decacorn doing their data analysis

* It hurts being forced to work at a world-class level at something when your tools and support system just can't keep up. Like I don't have any qualms with being an average person and never "Fulfilling My Potential" whatever that bullshit pretense is, but academia just forces you to compete with people that are not at all on an even footing with you.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My life plan:

1.) Stop everybody else from achieving their life plans.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My today plan:

1) Get pizza dough rising.
2) Take out garbage.
3) Shovel back steps.
4) Watch football.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

My today plan:

1) Get pizza dough rising.
2) Take out garbage.
3) Shovel back steps.
4) Watch football.

Why would you watch the wretched Bears?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TMMadman posted:

Why would you watch the wretched Bears?

i'm not.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, so, I think my current plan is something along the lines of

1. Get A+ cert
2. Get CCNA cert because I have a leg up
3. Learn JIRA
4. ????? (Where should I be applying? What kind of salary/wages should I be looking for?)
5. Get jorb
6. ????????

Is this a cool thing to ask for, Magnus?

check your PMs, also you can probably study for number 2 once you accomplish number 5

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, so, I think my current plan is something along the lines of

1. Get A+ cert
2. Get CCNA cert because I have a leg up
3. Learn JIRA
4. ????? (Where should I be applying? What kind of salary/wages should I be looking for?)
5. Get jorb
6. ????????

Is this a cool thing to ask for, Magnus?

Kashuno posted:

Put step 2 at step 7

:agreed:

Salary/wages are going to largely depend on your area, I forget where you're at. I think around here the average level 1 person starts anywhere from $11-$14/hr depending on who it is that's hiring and if you have any experience. I would look at call centers or other medium-to-large businesses that have a lot of desk jobs - where there are desks with computers, there's an IT person somewhere.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As far as what to do afterwards: that's kinda the boat I'm in at the moment, though I'm on the database route. I'm working on a non-technical certification at the moment (CCBA) which requires a minimum number of hours that I am nearing so I can finally start the application process and work on the exam. After that, I plan on getting my MCSA - SQL Server. One down, two to go.

For your path, the CCNA is a good start if you want to do networking, as well as the previously mentioned MTAs. There's MCSA equivalents for other things do, for example Windows Server 2012. Really depends on exactly what you want to do or what a potential employer's needs are at the time if you're looking to ascend the ranks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ernie. posted:

* It hurts being forced to work at a world-class level at something when your tools and support system just can't keep up. Like I don't have any qualms with being an average person and never "Fulfilling My Potential" whatever that bullshit pretense is, but academia just forces you to compete with people that are not at all on an even footing with you.
I've never really liked "those that can't do, teach" conceptually, but I'm also very aware that universities being the place for brilliant minds to do their best work is a thing of the past.

Epsilon Plus posted:

check your PMs, also you can probably study for number 2 once you accomplish number 5

Moundgarden posted:

:agreed:

Salary/wages are going to largely depend on your area, I forget where you're at. I think around here the average level 1 person starts anywhere from $11-$14/hr depending on who it is that's hiring and if you have any experience. I would look at call centers or other medium-to-large businesses that have a lot of desk jobs - where there are desks with computers, there's an IT person somewhere.
CCNA drops off the initial priority list, got it.

I'm in Portland, OR. Minimum wage is $9.75 (and will go up to $11 in July), so I'm reaaaally hoping it's at least a little bit more than that. I'll look into it, though.

(I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd really rather find something internal than just take incoming calls all day, if I have any choice in the matter. Would getting the 98-367 help with that? Or should I get something else after I get my A+?)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've never really liked "those that can't do, teach" conceptually, but I'm also very aware that universities being the place for brilliant minds to do their best work is a thing of the past.
That's not always true, depending on the university.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

As a brilliant mind, I can confirm that I do my best work on the shitter.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Academia is so drat bad now and completely incompatible with any kind of life plan.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CCKeane posted:

As a brilliant mind, I can confirm that I do my best work on the shitter.

Just because you know how a toilet works and can take one apart in 30 seconds doesnt mean you're a genius.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Just because you know how a toilet works and can take one apart in 30 seconds doesnt mean you're a genius.

I was talking about my posting.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CCKeane posted:

I was talking about my posting.

Well I've never seen how well you can frame a post so I can't comment on that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Once things clear up, I'm probably going to run Mexican Stand Off 2, since it's more of a Mafia-like than anything.

I'll also codify the roles and rules a bit better.

Also probably just gonna call it Stand Off from now on.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 12, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hey everyone,

If people are around tonight, I may run a Kingmaker game in discord at around 9PM EST for the heck of it. We'll need about 7 people.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My SMART goal is to not be late to work at all this week. It's harder than it sounds bc of sadbrain and the fact that I'm basically nocturnal and also probably have sleep apnea

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You can do it, ANarc! :toot:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Thanks PMush <3 you can too!!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

My SMART goal is to not be late to work at all this week. It's harder than it sounds bc of sadbrain and the fact that I'm basically nocturnal and also probably have sleep apnea

That's a good SMART goal, good luck with it. Remember that even if you don't fully accomplish it for the full week, every day is part of your goal that's been realized. Another SMART goal tip: when your SMART goal time period is over, don't forget to look back on how things went and why they may or may not have gone the way you wanted.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My sleeping has been hosed up for so long that I don't even know what to do. My body varies so widely as to how much sleep I need. Some nights I'm fine with 4-6 hours. Some nights I need 10 or 12 or more. My sleep hygiene is terrible which doesn't help. It would be super great if I knew what time I should go to sleep in order to wake up rested. Tonight I'm gonna go for the 4 hour thing and hopefully that'll work. Plus I'm like addicted to this book series I'm reading and don't want to put it down.

Oh, also, some of the time my body gets tired but my brain is wide awake at night which is why I'm nocturnal. I just can't loving shut it off.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

My sleeping has been hosed up for so long that I don't even know what to do. My body varies so widely as to how much sleep I need. Some nights I'm fine with 4-6 hours. Some nights I need 10 or 12 or more. My sleep hygiene is terrible which doesn't help. It would be super great if I knew what time I should go to sleep in order to wake up rested. Tonight I'm gonna go for the 4 hour thing and hopefully that'll work. Plus I'm like addicted to this book series I'm reading and don't want to put it down.

Oh, also, some of the time my body gets tired but my brain is wide awake at night which is why I'm nocturnal. I just can't loving shut it off.

As I said, I think having a routine is a really good start. Have a set series of actions that takes like 15-20 minutes that you do every night that you know when you are doing them that it's time for bed.

Mine are plug in my phone by the bed, get the water container from the cpap, feed the cats, brush my teeth and fill the container, turn off all the lights and the TV, get into bed, play two dots for about 10-15 minutes (what it takes to run out of lives), put on the mask and go to sleep. Honestly just typing that out made me feel sleepy enough that I'm going to bed. That's my bed routine and it's absolutely the same every night.

I used to have so much trouble falling asleep and I almost never do because the routine is so solid that even if I'm not tired when I start, it's so connected to bed time that I'm asleep at the end anyway.

That said, if you do have sleep apnea, then there is only so much that getting to sleep early and quickly can do, cause your sleep isn't going to be good quality no matter what. I hope you get that sleep study soon.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

My life plan: work out who to buy avatars for.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mills posted:

My life plan: work out who to buy avatars for.

Keane.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SMART Goals are stupid because it's an acronym that's better and more appropriate than the sum of its parts so why make it an acronym at all?

Like SCUBA.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Dear secret santee,

Sorry you haven't gotten anything yet really dumb and bad financial issues happened but I am trying to get you something before xmas :sun:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Little Mac posted:

SMART Goals are stupid because it's an acronym that's better and more appropriate than the sum of its parts so why make it an acronym at all?

Like SCUBA.

I think it's actually got some helpful ideas that are easier to remember because it's in an acronym. I think people often forget to make their goals measurable or time based for instance.

And ANarc, I agree with Asiina. It sounds kind of bullshit and might not work for you, but setting a routine for your sleep will make it easier for your body to sleep at the same time every night.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Laughed so hard at how this kid was sitting. And the teacher (right next to him) didn't say a thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what even

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Kids can sneak up on you with their crazy.

I used to do studies with little kids in grade 1. They'd be in library room or conference room by the office with me while I asked them some questions and played little word and math games with them. Most kids just sat in the chairs and did it, but some kids would start out leaning forward, then they'd curl their legs up onto the chair (since conference room chairs are so much bigger than 6 year olds) and then it would go on like this until before I knew it they were basically standing on the table.

Then at some point you realize they are not sitting normally and ask them to sit right, which they do but the process starts again.

It happens so gradually I wouldn't even notice until they were doing things like that kid was doing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

:siren: Mr Robot Mafia has ended in a ---------------Town & Survivor --------------- victory! :siren:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey I got part of my Secret Santa thing (two parts woah!)

I'm keeping patient till the 25th like a good kid. Thanks for going out of your way on this one!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I got mine and opened mine :getin:

Will post when I have time later tonight!!

Santee, your stuff is going out as soon as I get the last piece of it. (Etsy so slow). Tomorrow, hopefully! :dance:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to host this now but the holidays are like less than 2 weeks away BUT coming in January I am excited for this mafia game so y'all better join when it gets running

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Sorry to my santee that I haven't sent your gift out yet. Hopefully you'll get it before XMas

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I may have bit off more santas than I can chew this year, but damnit I'll get them all done!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My Santee's gifts are wrapped and in a box, it's just that getting to the post office before it closes is tough when I get out of work 30 minutes prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Habermas