Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

:eyepop:

that is a seriously enticing case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

well why not posted:

I'd like to see more SFF cases that only have room for short GPUs. The single fan 1060 & 1070 cards exist, there's really no need for a fullsize card in a smaller case.
MSI Trident does this:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2708-msi-trident-010-review-fps-vr-temperature

It's barebones only right now though, not just a case

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

MSI Trident does this:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2708-msi-trident-010-review-fps-vr-temperature

:eyepop: That is one sexy tiny case. If they threw one of the short 1070s in there I may have tried that over the RVZ02 I ultimately chose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, that thing with an interchangeable processor + different GPU (and some more restraint in the styling) would be almost perfect.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Cardboard Box A posted:

MSI Trident does this:

Is that PCIe riser actually mirror-flipping the connection, or is the motherboard built with a weird upside down connector? Either way, I'd love a case like this with a transparent top. Then put VESA mounting points on the back and get a multi-monitor VESA arm for your desk. Float that case right up there next to your monitor.

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 12, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is that PCIe riser actually mirror-flipping the connection, or is the motherboard built with a weird upside down connector? Either way, I'd love a case like this with a transparent top. Then put VESA mounting points on the back and get a multi-monitor VESA arm for your desk. Float that case right up there next to your monitor.

I would bet the motherboard has the CPU mounted "on the opposite side" to achieve that, essentially.

It says it uses a flex ATX power supply, essentially a 1U Server PSU, so it is AC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, also, I should mention, I did buy one of these cases:

http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/

They already exist in the wild (I've seen people selling used ones on eBay) so I pre-ordered one of next month's batch. It uses the 250w HDPlex DC-DC PSU to power it. I'm considering jamming a whole bunch of 18650 lithium ion cells into it to make it battery powered for backpack VR.

Edit: Other notes, the guy making them is cool, and they fit the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX among other cards.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 12, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can you power a 1070 off 250w?

Quick check says their default config with a 1070 is pushing 280w peak. Probably is lower than that but that's cutting it close.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

It says it uses a flex ATX power supply, essentially a 1U Server PSU, so it is AC.

Whoops actually meant to link the S4 Mini. How do you like it?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Has anyone tried making a case like this, but with another chamber on top for a 240mm radiator?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can you power a 1070 off 250w?

I would not.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Steakandchips posted:

I would not.

You can get the HDPLEX 250W board and a Dell 300W power brick and you'll be just dandy. I think you can even do a continuous 350W from the Dell brick.

This is the creator of the S4 Mini's youtube channel. He covers a lot of stuff and seems like a pretty bright guy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, the HDPlex 250w is rated for 400w peak. The 1070 is 150w tdp and my Skylake i7 is 90 but it never goes above 55w in real world use. I got the HDPlex to run an R9 290 with a Pentium Anniversary CPU so I'm sure this would be even easier on it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

well why not posted:

Yeah, that thing with an interchangeable processor + different GPU (and some more restraint in the styling) would be almost perfect.
In the review it says it actually is an interchangable socketed processor, you can even buy it barebones with no CPU included. Or the cpu options are normal stuff up to i7-6700 as an option. I'd rather see a similar case that lets you install your own ITX mobo but that thing looks pretty cool nonetheless.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

In the review it says it actually is an interchangable socketed processor, you can even buy it barebones with no CPU included. Or the cpu options are normal stuff up to i7-6700 as an option. I'd rather see a similar case that lets you install your own ITX mobo but that thing looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Well, they've hamstrung it with the 230W PSU anyway. If you're stuck with a 1060, you probably shouldn't get a i7. You're probably better off getting the case that Zero VGS is showing off, although its a lot more DIY. You should ignore the horrible green marbled paint job, you can get solid colors.

I like MSI's Nighthawk Mi-2 barebones, but they're hard to find now. They originally retailed for $300, but on Jet you could get it down to $260. They were rated for 300W, which couldn't handle a 980Ti, but can handle a 1080. You could put any Skylate CPU in, but they said it got a little loud with a 6600K or 6700K although a a 6700 was just fine.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 12, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Totally agree, with the PSU in there that thing only makes sense for a GTX 1060 system which yeah rarely would it make sense to put in an i7. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that thing is the best option available I just wanted to point out that it is a socketed proc because I'm a pedantic nerd :D

That Hutzy case is definitely even cooler.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Col.Kiwi posted:

Oh, I see, the catch is that you have to buy it with a GPU included (like the GTX 1060), and the GPU is actually an MXM board with a traditional fan cooler attached so that it looks like a normal graphics card when it's not. That's how they have it facing up without an elaborate riser. So, don't count on really upgrading the GPU later on, MXMs are still hard to get.

For the $600, which is a barebones case, MXM 1060, PSU and motherboard, I think you'd be better rolling an NFC like me:

$200-ish NFC S4 Mini with riser and power button
$100 nice Z170 Mobo
$85 HDPlex
$35 Dell 250w brick
$200 GTX 1060 ITX

$620, so about the same price for a more solid case and full GPU/Motherboard upgradability.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Has anyone tried making a case like this, but with another chamber on top for a 240mm radiator?

No offense but you should give up on 240mm radiators... I mean TDPs these days are very low and only getting lower; my current ITX VR rig is just about 100% passive (passive cooler on the CPU and GPU, each with a 140mmx15mm fan fixed at the lowest RPM setting). One more die shrink and even overclocked stuff will be inaudible on air cooling.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 12, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

the GPU is actually an MXM board with a traditional fan cooler attached so that it looks like a normal graphics card when it's not. That's how they have it facing up without an elaborate riser. So, don't
Ohhh poo poo I didn't catch that detail. That's actually really cool from a novelty point of view, but yeah I wouldn't buy it. There is no way you will ever get a GPU upgrade for a design like that. It's a cute way to avoid needing a riser and their cost to design and produce it was probably minimal cause it's not SO different from building a laptop right? .

Your example custom build would definitely be what I'd go with, because yeah you're probably going to want a GPU upgrade before you need to change anything else in the system.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just watched that S4 video and while I like it, I don't think a "complete solution" includes velcroing items to the chassis or using duct tape to cover electrical components.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I just watched that S4 video and while I like it, I don't think a "complete solution" includes velcroing items to the chassis or using duct tape to cover electrical components.

Velcroing solid state drives is a time honored tradition that has always worked fine, so I can't fault the guy for not creating mount points specifically for the HDPlex which not everyone will even use, plus there's different places you might want to mount it depending on your motherboard.

The guy also says that you don't have to tape the backside of the GPU, just that it's a good idea if you're putting hard drives above it (let's be honest, these days you're gonna get an M.2 drive to reduce cabling and bling out performance anyway). Plus, he's suggesting gaffer's tape, not duct tape, which is much less likely to leave residue.You could cut a square of plastic to shield it (like the Dan A4 uses) or just have a GPU with a backplate (like the MSI Mini-ITX cards do).

I went with him because frankly I've been trying to design a 3D printed Mini ITX case in a similar form factor for a while now, and I recognize when someone is putting a lot of thought into the details. Remember it is smaller and more niche than the Dan A4 while being at least $100 less.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Again, I like it, I just think there is some room for improvement on the execution.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Again, I like it, I just think there is some room for improvement on the execution.

They are non-standard parts with no standard mounting specs, I don't think a little velcro is that bad, considering the picoPSU/HDPlex have no moving parts. Hell, people are velcroing SSDs these days, it's no big deal.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Can anyone recommend a good, tiny 3D printed mini-itx case? I would be so goddamn psyched if I could get something with just enough volume for a mobo, 1 2.5" drive, an SFX psu, a short GPU (attached via a PCI-e riser cable), and the necessary fans...

In other news, I'm realizing that building my ideal $1200 rig is not going to happen in short order, so I've decided that the only way it's going to happen is by building the barebones system first (case, mobo, psu, cpu, ram, former compy's ssd). Total cost of those parts.... if I can get a 3d-printed case, I could start for like $550 and get the GPU, SSD, fancy cooler, and more ram for another $650 later. The joys of having unstable income...

lock stock and Cheryl fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 13, 2016

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
NFC Systems: S4 Mini is a good thread with questions regarding how far you can push the S4 mini, creator is very active in the community and a good dude.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've built three RVZ02B setups and there seems to be some instability in the last one, but it also is the only one with a video card in it. I play about 30 minutes of Minecraft on it and it shuts itself down cold. I'm assuming the video card is overheating. Is there a definitive place to find out that is what happened on the system? I was hoping there might be a log. I was going to try Furmark on it as-is and also with the case off and a box fan pointing at it to see if there is a change in behavior.

I was running on the damaged notion this system could work without a system fan. Am I mistaken? If so, what kind of fan(s) can I install to improve circulation? There isn't much room left to circulate anything!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've built three RVZ02B setups and there seems to be some instability in the last one, but it also is the only one with a video card in it. I play about 30 minutes of Minecraft on it and it shuts itself down cold. I'm assuming the video card is overheating. Is there a definitive place to find out that is what happened on the system? I was hoping there might be a log. I was going to try Furmark on it as-is and also with the case off and a box fan pointing at it to see if there is a change in behavior.

I was running on the damaged notion this system could work without a system fan. Am I mistaken? If so, what kind of fan(s) can I install to improve circulation? There isn't much room left to circulate anything!

Can you try swapping the PCI-Riser between Ravens? Can you swap other parts between systems to further isolate theproblem? Also, how are your temps looking? Fire up HWMonitor or Afterburner and keep an eye on them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can you try swapping the PCI-Riser between Ravens? Can you swap other parts between systems to further isolate theproblem? Also, how are your temps looking? Fire up HWMonitor or Afterburner and keep an eye on them.

I'm working from home today, and I'm at a point where I can dabble on my work laptop and dedicate my personal desktop and monitor towards this madness.

My system is running FurMark in a 1280x760 window. I can dump the raw numbers later, but I don't want to touch that machine while it's under test. It appears to be stable now though. One thing I find peculiar is apparently the +12V rail is 0.048V and the -12V rail is -4.320V. Is this actually okay? I can't imagine booting if this wasn't okay. Some important numbers:

• CPU cores are around 50C +/- 2C. The peak was 87C on one core, but I believe the fans kicked in.
  • GPU has stabilized at 87C.
  • SSD has stabilized at 45C. I was surprised to discover it had a thermal sensor that could be interrogated!
  • CPU package is at 55C +/- 2C. Not bad.

So I might have to take it into Minecraft in Windows mode and see if it can put it on its rear end. That being said, it takes upwards of 30 minutes. FurMark hasn't run that long yet so maybe I'm calling it too soon. Also, my system did have a bunch of updates since the last crash, so maybe it's something in software that got fixed.

Edit: It ran something like 3 hours before I stopped it. No problems. I'm having a hard time believing Minecraft may be a harder stress, but we'll see later tonight.

Edit Edit: Nope it looks like the CPU! I ran a little Minecraft and it was okay in windowed mode fine, but it screwed up in fullscreen. I managed to boot back in soon after. According to HWMonitor, my package thermal temperature hit 100C! My CPU fan does run so I don't know what the deal is there.

I'm using this guy: Rosewill 80mm Sleeve Low Profile CPU Cooler RCX-Z775-LP Black.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did finally get to rip out the video card. Well, I first double-checked that it passed memtest by running it through that overnight. It ran all the tests fine, so my RAM looks okay. I pulled out the video card and switched to on-board video. It's actually working okay this way. So are the risers for the Silverstone Ravens a common issue? Is there a fairly simple, short stress I can run to expose problems with it more regularly? I'd like to be able to mess with it and tell if I made a difference.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did finally get to rip out the video card. Well, I first double-checked that it passed memtest by running it through that overnight. It ran all the tests fine, so my RAM looks okay. I pulled out the video card and switched to on-board video. It's actually working okay this way. So are the risers for the Silverstone Ravens a common issue? Is there a fairly simple, short stress I can run to expose problems with it more regularly? I'd like to be able to mess with it and tell if I made a difference.

I haven't seen any complaints about the riser, but it's not out of the question. However, since you have/had more RVZ02's why don't you swap the riser and see if that fixes anything? If you swap the riser and there's no change, you know its not the riser, but the video card or the motheboard's PCI-E slot. If you don't have another riser to test it with, you can always pop the motherboard out of the case and run the video card straight to the motherboard.

You kind of seem all over the place, trying to jump to conclusions. No one really monitors their PSU outputs, as we're not electrical engineers. You just have to do troubleshooting that isolate the potential problems.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 18, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One thing I find peculiar is apparently the +12V rail is 0.048V and the -12V rail is -4.320V. Is this actually okay?

Either your program is reading the wrong sensors or the sensor isn't working correctly - the +12V rail is necessary for most of the components in the machine and you'd probably see issues if it was only 90% of what it should be, let alone 0.4%. What are you using to get these readings?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I haven't seen any complaints about the riser, but it's not out of the question. However, since you have/had more RVZ02's why don't you swap the riser and see if that fixes anything? If you swap the riser and there's no change, you know its not the riser, but the video card or the motheboard's PCI-E slot. If you don't have another riser to test it with, you can always pop the motherboard out of the case and run the video card straight to the motherboard.

You kind of seem all over the place, trying to jump to conclusions. No one really monitors their PSU outputs, as we're not electrical engineers. You just have to do troubleshooting that isolate the potential problems.
I'm out of the game when it comes to doing this kind of diagnosis. I haven't had system problems since a Vista machine I built a decade ago. It ended up having bad RAM, but it was doing the most arbitrarily things in Vista. In Linux, it appeared not to be as bad; it would just mess up cells in a database I was using for a home science project, and I could repopulate all that data just fine. Eventually I ran memtest and BAM. So that's about the only thing I do any more.

IIRC crossing 90C on the CPU is generally a bad thing though and I'm still alarmed about that.

I can't say I'd be looking forwards to taking this whole thing apart to run it naked.

Eletriarnation posted:

Either your program is reading the wrong sensors or the sensor isn't working correctly - the +12V rail is necessary for most of the components in the machine and you'd probably see issues if it was only 90% of what it should be, let alone 0.4%. What are you using to get these readings?

HWMonitor. VulgarandStupid told me to try it a few posts ago so here I am.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone heard anything more about the Cryorig Ola? It seems like after Computex they haven't said a word, while they have talked about the Taku.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I haven't seen any complaints about the riser, but it's not out of the question. However, since you have/had more RVZ02's why don't you swap the riser and see if that fixes anything? If you swap the riser and there's no change, you know its not the riser, but the video card or the motheboard's PCI-E slot.
I'm responding again but with some new information. I've ripped everything out of the case. When I mounted the video card conventionally on the motherboard, it was very stable. I got an hour out of it without an issue. When I switched to the riser, then I got about 30 minutes before it dropped dead. I'm going to try just that extender without the riser next to see if it has to do with the 90 degree angle.

FWIW in Minecraft, it will crash particularly when loading new chunks, so I assume that has to do with much more traffic moving between the CPU and the video card. I'm going to try to get a better 3d stress test to make this happen very quickly. Furmark presumably wouldn't have done it since I can't imagine that moving too much stuff back and forth.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

HWMonitor. VulgarandStupid told me to try it a few posts ago so here I am.

Ah, ok. Well, I have that installed on my own desktop but it's not giving me a +12V reading at all so who knows. Are there any other voltage readings that are anything close to +12V? Generally on any of the important rails (12V, 5V, less so 3.3V) 5% is the maximum tolerable variance from nominal voltage so if the system turns on at all it has to be close. The program might have the sensors mislabeled and there's another one that is actually the +12V rail, or it might just not be detecting a sensor on the +12V rail at all and giving you something totally wrong in an attempt to do its best.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/galax_create_a_single_slot_gtx_1070_gpu/1

Single-slot 1070. Could be interesting?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Too bad it's longer than barnacle Jim's face lmao

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AEMINAL posted:

Too bad it's longer than barnacle Jim's face lmao

Eh, doesn't look too much longer than a 1070 FE. Not sure what it'll be good for though: there are no SFF cases designed for single slot GPUs, mATX boards are made with duo-slot GPUs in mind, and mITX boards only have one PCIE slot. I guess you can use two in one of those ATX boards with two adjacent PCIE x16 slots, and leave loads of room for other cards? But I'm not sure nvidia makes single slot SLI bridges.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have run some experiments on this setup and concluded that the everything starts to fail as soon as the RVZ02B cases' risers, but I'm not sure if it's the risers themselves I should blame. Is this a case where I should be more concerned about the motherboard?

I tried two different video cards. The new one is a Sapphire Radeon 480 without 8GB of RAM. I have a PNY Technologies GeForce 660 Ti from my old computer, and that only worked directly plugged in. It was a no-go with any riser. When I plug either card directly into the motherboard, they run fine. I was trying Unigine Heaven and 3DMark Time Spy. Also, I would just dabble around in modded Minecraft. However, the actual benchmarks were sufficient to knock a bad configuration on its rear end. One Time Spy run killed the machine roughly three seconds into the start. The crash was a hard crash. The screen would go to a solid color that was usually black, but I got a brown and an olive green too. Audio would cut out within about a second of the screen freezing. Num lock wouldn't respond on the keyboard.

When I used any combination of risers, the system would crash. It appeared to work longer in some configurations than others, but only directly into the motherboard worked fine. I tried with just the 90-degree riser; I had to unscrew the spacers so the PCI plug had room. I also tried with just the extended going directly into the motherboard without the 90-degree riser. That was bad too. Of course, both together was horrible.

I have two sets of risers to try, and nothing helped switching between them. The third is at my mom's house, so I don't have ready access to it.

I should mention that 3DMark Time Spy was a temperamental beast and didn't give me the best confidence. It wouldn't launch half the time. Unigine Heaven was fine though.

I guess I should also mention on-board video was fine. It played Minecraft just as well, actually haha.

This is my general configuraton:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW
Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case
Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Does anything stand out from the hardware parts themselves?

Edit: I have the fortune of having a Fry's nearby and will get a shielded PCI-Express extender cable for an experiment. I can understand there being a stability issue since the RVZ02B's risers screw into the case, but I am not really assured with having the graphics card hanging down off the end of that. The real killer to me is that there are some capacitors soldered on to those extenders. Both the vertical extender and the 90-degree adapter have some on them. Why do I need capacitors for that when nerds have been using extender cables without an issue? I guess I'll find out.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 19, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have run some experiments on this setup and concluded that the everything starts to fail as soon as the RVZ02B cases' risers, but I'm not sure if it's the risers themselves I should blame. Is this a case where I should be more concerned about the motherboard?

I tried two different video cards. The new one is a Sapphire Radeon 480 without 8GB of RAM. I have a PNY Technologies GeForce 660 Ti from my old computer, and that only worked directly plugged in. It was a no-go with any riser. When I plug either card directly into the motherboard, they run fine. I was trying Unigine Heaven and 3DMark Time Spy. Also, I would just dabble around in modded Minecraft. However, the actual benchmarks were sufficient to knock a bad configuration on its rear end. One Time Spy run killed the machine roughly three seconds into the start. The crash was a hard crash. The screen would go to a solid color that was usually black, but I got a brown and an olive green too. Audio would cut out within about a second of the screen freezing. Num lock wouldn't respond on the keyboard.

When I used any combination of risers, the system would crash. It appeared to work longer in some configurations than others, but only directly into the motherboard worked fine. I tried with just the 90-degree riser; I had to unscrew the spacers so the PCI plug had room. I also tried with just the extended going directly into the motherboard without the 90-degree riser. That was bad too. Of course, both together was horrible.

I have two sets of risers to try, and nothing helped switching between them. The third is at my mom's house, so I don't have ready access to it.

I should mention that 3DMark Time Spy was a temperamental beast and didn't give me the best confidence. It wouldn't launch half the time. Unigine Heaven was fine though.

I guess I should also mention on-board video was fine. It played Minecraft just as well, actually haha.

This is my general configuraton:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW
Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case
Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Does anything stand out from the hardware parts themselves?

Edit: I have the fortune of having a Fry's nearby and will get a shielded PCI-Express extender cable for an experiment. I can understand there being a stability issue since the RVZ02B's risers screw into the case, but I am not really assured with having the graphics card hanging down off the end of that. The real killer to me is that there are some capacitors soldered on to those extenders. Both the vertical extender and the 90-degree adapter have some on them. Why do I need capacitors for that when nerds have been using extender cables without an issue? I guess I'll find out.

My guess is it's a power issue. The 480 is known for pulling too much power from the PCI-E socket. Adding the riser it pushes it even further out of spec. Perhaps see if you can use the newest AMD drivers and firmware for the card, and try turning on AMD chill.

Edit: You can also try contacting Silverstone directly and see if they have any thoughts on the matter.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VulgarandStupid posted:

My guess is it's a power issue. The 480 is known for pulling too much power from the PCI-E socket. Adding the riser it pushes it even further out of spec. Perhaps see if you can use the newest AMD drivers and firmware for the card, and try turning on AMD chill.

Edit: You can also try contacting Silverstone directly and see if they have any thoughts on the matter.

I just got off the phone with them. They have never had any problems with the riser card. They couldn't even speculate on anything. I looked up the video card's specs and it consumes 225W and the Sapphire recommends a 500W supply, so my 450W supply might be at a loss there. I am pondering trying to use my old power supply for a science project. I think it was rated for a much higher supply. It won't fit in the case, but everything's already ripped out everywhere, so I might as well go all the way.

But before ripping things to poo poo, I'll check on the drivers and the like. I just updated the drivers yesterday. I wouldn't know about firmware. I guess I can try to downclock the GPU or something, but that's a domain I don't normally play in. I mean, I don't even overclock.

Edit: Wait--you can update a video card's firmware?