Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mike the TV posted:

I got the itch to play ME1, so I bought it on Steam after having it on xbox years ago. I can't seem to figure out how to get Bring Down the Sky though. Is it even possible? Googling it feels like an archaeological dig through dead links to bioware redemption pages.
Both Bring down the Sky and Pinnacle Station get bundled into ME1 these days on Origin. Looking at my install directory there are 2 folders under DLC there though they are labelled 'UNC' for Bring down the Sky and 'Vegas' for Pinnacle Station.
This is from a steam key redemption on origin too.
I would also suggest applying some texture mods to ME1 as well, especially if you have a decent computer. Have a look at MEUITM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol anyone who doesn't "like" Merrill as a character probably white knighted her and enabled her which is pretty loving lmao, DA2 was a shitpile but the writers have my respect for what they did to anyone who didn't tell Merrill she was being a dipshit.

Doesn't help you when she has all of her incidental dialogue where you can't tell her to shut up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doesn't help you when she has all of her incidental dialogue where you can't tell her to shut up.

I had a cat. When we adopted her, she had very short fur (no bald spots or anything, just short) and terrible fleas. We found out that the fleas made her so anemic she couldn't even grow fur properly. We used to joke that the anemia left her brain damaged because even after her treatment, she was just so stupid.

Merrill is that cat. She's used so much blood magic that she's brain damaged, regressed to kitten hood. Your brain needs blood, Merrill, but you're using it all up!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Helith posted:

Both Bring down the Sky and Pinnacle Station get bundled into ME1 these days on Origin. Looking at my install directory there are 2 folders under DLC there though they are labelled 'UNC' for Bring down the Sky and 'Vegas' for Pinnacle Station.
This is from a steam key redemption on origin too.
I would also suggest applying some texture mods to ME1 as well, especially if you have a decent computer. Have a look at MEUITM

Thanks, this helps.

But also gently caress Origin.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

marshmallow creep posted:

I had a cat. When we adopted her, she had very short fur (no bald spots or anything, just short) and terrible fleas. We found out that the fleas made her so anemic she couldn't even grow fur properly. We used to joke that the anemia left her brain damaged because even after her treatment, she was just so stupid.

Merrill is that cat. She's used so much blood magic that she's brain damaged, regressed to kitten hood. Your brain needs blood, Merrill, but you're using it all up!

:eyepop:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Stop it, you're actually making me want to go replay DA2 again and down that road lies only another wave!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mike the TV posted:

Thanks, this helps.

But also gently caress Origin.

It's not that bad these days tbh, it has nowhere near the range of games that Steam has but I keep it around so I can play Mass Effect and the Sims. At least they have sales now and it's pretty easy going about accepting codes from 3rd party retailers or taking your EA steam game keys.
It really is less hassle installing and playing Mass Effect games on there than on Steam, which is something I never thought I'd say.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawKnee posted:

Stop it, you're actually making me want to go replay DA2 again and down that road lies only another wave!

I got this urge once. I assure you DA2 actually was as tedious and frustrating as you remember.

Remember: one cave map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

I got this urge once. I assure you DA2 actually was as tedious and frustrating as you remember.

Remember: one cave map.

I'm the "Shadow Warrior" that is literally just a default human warrior model with all textures set to 0.0.0 color.

... I think they patched that though.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i want to replay DA2, get max anders rivalry, and then force him to side with the templars and kill all the mages at the end

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

drkeiscool posted:

i want to replay DA2, get max anders rivalry, and then force him to side with the templars and kill all the mages at the end

Just watch it on YouTube ffs

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the "Shadow Warrior" that is literally just a default human warrior model with all textures set to 0.0.0 color.

I'm the "Shadow Broker" dlc on pc that is literally just an empty 1.5gb file of 000

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mazerunner posted:

I'm the "Shadow Broker" dlc on pc that is literally just an empty 1.5gb file of 000

Every Fallout 3 DLC was also broken in some similar way. Really glad to see Microsoft trying to get back into the online game store business.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I just finished 10.5 waves on gold with pubbies. Over the course of the match, I played with over six people because they kept dropping as soon as they died. After an intense wave 10 with just myself and the only other guy that stuck around from the beginning, we got two new players and we started kicking rear end. Then I got disconnected from EA servers. And my broke as gently caress N7 Fury needed those credits to buy weapons, because I'm using a rank 2 N7 Hurricane. Is there a cheat engine for Xbox?

And regarding ME1 sniper chat, I agree that it's dumb you can't scope without putting a point in sniper skills, and a professional space marine shouldn't take weapons along that s/he isn't trained to use. But obviously as a gameplay mechanic, you get better results when you have more skill with something, so it makes sense that you suck with the weapons that don't have any skill points invested in them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

This is amazing! Doubly so because it's even kinda plausible. Your body can replenish the volume of your blood much faster than it can your red blood cell count. That's why you have to wait so long between blood donations; it takes a couple of months for your RBCs to recover fully. So a Bloodmage could totally go anemic if they weren't super careful about how much of their own supply they used over an extended span of time.

I love that the explanation for Merrill's stupid could literally be cerebral hypoxia.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 12, 2016

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

She's not stupid, she's socially awkward (even among her clan) and a Dalish living in a human city for the first time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No, she's pretty drat stupid. She doesn't lack for intellect, but she has the common sense of a mayfly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Such a shortage of good party members in DA2. I wanted to kick everyone off a cliff except guard lady and sweaty crossbow dwarf. Then dive in after them to avoid seeing the same loving cave, house and coastal maps over and over.

Particularly sweaty dwarf because they put more effort into developing his character than the rest of the entire game. Never finished Act 2 and I'm never reinstalling that garbage product.

Also re: Merrill she is a literal crazy bad person blood mage with zero common sense who players only defend because "mah elf waifu".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Never finished Act 2 and I'm never reinstalling that garbage product.

if you absolutely have to play DA2, this is the best way to play it

because at this point it seems like they might be building up to something interesting

and then Act 3 happens

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not entirely a coincidence that the best party members in DA2 are the ones you can't gently caress.

Skippy McPants posted:

No, she's pretty drat stupid. She doesn't lack for intellect, but she has the common sense of a mayfly.

She's an archetypal example of a high int / low wisdom character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's an archetypal example of a high int / low wisdom character.

Ditto Morrigan and Anders.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

if you absolutely have to play DA2, this is the best way to play it

because at this point it seems like they might be building up to something interesting

and then Act 3 happens

Nothing happens in the first couple acts either.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I actually cant remember much of what happens

I scrubbed that part of my brain away

I just remember act 1-2 being mediocre, then 3 being a train-wreck

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Ditto Morrigan and Anders.

What did Morrigan do that was unwise? The demon baby thing seemed to work out pretty well.

I didn't actually get round to completing DAI so does something bad happen with him at the end?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

marktheando posted:

What did Morrigan do that was unwise? The demon baby thing seemed to work out pretty well.

I didn't actually get round to completing DAI so does something bad happen with him at the end?

She was an unwitting pawn in her mom's plans.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

[quote]I didn't actually get round to completing DAI so does something bad happen with him at the end?

He gets taken by Flemeth, although given what happens to her it's really hard to say what happens to Kieran in the end.

Morrigan's sheltered upbringing leads her to be a bit unaware of how the world actually works in DA:O. It's really not the case by Inquisition though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

She was an unwitting pawn in her mom's plans.

Also her constant mentality of "Hey, let's gently caress up everyone who could possibly help us, just to be contrary and because it amuses me."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

marktheando posted:

Blind ambition at the expense of anything like good sense? Oh hey, I think I'll get knocked up with a god-baby, surely that'll never come back to bite me in the rear end! Oh hey, let me drink from this magical pool that contains the memories and wills of powerful ancient beings, surely that'll never come back to bite m in the rear end!

Like, she's a little better off in DA: I, but still not great when it comes to weighing the possible consequences of her actions.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He gets taken by Flemeth, although given what happens to her it's really hard to say what happens to Kieran in the end.

He doesn't always get taken. That can play out a few different ways depending on what's happened up to the point.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 12, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't think the god baby really comes back to bite her in the arse?

Drinking from the pool does though and it's loving awesome.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think the god baby really comes back to bite her in the arse?

Drinking from the pool does though and it's loving awesome.

I suppose it doesn't, it's just what flemeth wanted so she takes him at the end.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Moola posted:

I actually cant remember much of what happens

I scrubbed that part of my brain away

I just remember act 1-2 being mediocre, then 3 being a train-wreck

A guy called Anders writes a bunch of manifestos about how oppressed he is, blows up a civic building full of innocents to trigger a war, and attempts to martyr himself for the cause.

Anyway, enough about the 2011 attacks. Something similar happens in DA2, I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then you have to make the strong moral choice of "keep a literal terrorist in your party or suffer through DA2 combat without a healer"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It only bites Morrigan in the rear end if Flemeth does something bad with the Old God Soul or if Morrigan does something bad while bound to her, and on that part Flemeth seemed to make it clear that Morrigan was never in danger of even being possessed, so the Well consequence is just irony.

Solas absorbed Flemeth's power so who knows if Morrigan is bound to him now or if the Old God Soul's power if his now (maybe Flemeth was putting the Old God's Soul through the Eluvian before Solas killed her).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 12, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

It only bites Morrigan in the rear end if Flemeth does something bad if the Old God Soul is with Flemeth or Morrigan is bound to her, and on that part Flemeth seemed to make it clear that Morrigan was never in danger of even being possessed, so the Well consequence is just irony.

Solas absorbed Flemeth's power so who knows if Morrigan is bound to him now or if the Old God Soul's power if his now (maybe Flemeth was putting the Old God's Soul through the Eluvian before Solas killed her).

Knowing Bioware's treatment of Morrigan thus far, we'll find out in DA4 that no the Old God's power and possibly Flemeth's are now Morrigan's, making her a goddess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Then you have to make the strong moral choice of "keep a literal terrorist in your party or suffer through DA2 combat without a healer"

I was playing a Spirit Healer Mage, so that choice was easy peasy!

And normally I try not to kill anyone I don't have to in RPGs, but dangit Anders, you really didn't leave me with a lot of options here!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

so how the gently caress are you supposed to get me1 running smoothly on pc? putting it in windows XP service pack 1 compatibility mode makes it run slightly better, even though Total Warhams still runs smoother despite being nearly a decade younger. Mass Effect 2 and 3 are perfectly fine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

You don't need a healer in that game, potions will do the job and heals are all on long cooldowns anyway. What I'm saying is you should feel free to stab Anders, you will probably do fine without him.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I killed Anders and lol'd at the idea that I could possibly have any hesitation doing so

gently caress DA2 is bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skippy McPants posted:

The running theme of the Dragon Age series, whether intentionally or not, is that all the characters and institutions despite their power are comically inept + stupid and those who defy you to like them the most are actually right about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

The running theme of the Dragon Age series, whether intentionally or not, is that all the characters and institutions despite their power are comically inept + stupid and those who defy you to like them the most are actually right about everything.

#SolasWasRight