Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon UK has great customer service.

Even when I lived in the UK I had nothing but problems with Amazon, I swear I was on a list of 'let's treat this guy like crap'.

Busted steel books that floated around Scotland for 2 weeks, a hard disk that was sent in packaging not fit for a paperback (died within 24 hours), taking £80 out of my account for simply starting a Prime trial are just a few I can think of. Never got anything remote to a human apology for anything other than the Prime one, where the guy couldn't work out what the hell happened and couldn't even do a refund in a single shot because of it.

Still used them though, but always braced for the worst. Haven't had any major issues with the US one, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has The Mack Sennett Collection, Vol. 1 on sale for only $34
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSC8BMU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $50 off Flicker Alley's site and I think it's the first time it's been under $40 anywhere.

This set is pretty amazing. It has 50 films and many are from the only surviving prints.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The copy of Edge of Tomorrow I got from Amazon last week had a damaged case and was straight up missing the bluray disc. Contacted the chat and they're sending me a new one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The copy of Edge of Tomorrow I got from Amazon last week had a damaged case and was straight up missing the bluray disc. Contacted the chat and they're sending me a new one.

Yeah, I've always had great customer service from Amazon before. One time I spent $50 on an umbrella from them that I absolutely hated. I asked if I could return it. They just told me to keep it and they would refund my money.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, Kino Lorber just confirmed they're releasing The Adventures of Captain Marvel, the 1941 Republic serial.

aw yee old serials.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January Warner Archive:

Bad Day at Black Rock
Wait Until Dark
Battleground

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Triplets Of Belleville is finally getting a US release but it's a lovely BD-R release. Not that big of a deal since I had given up on a release and bought it on VOD but still a bummer. I had it on HD-DVD and it looked as fantastic as you'd expect from animation.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

January Warner Archive:

Bad Day at Black Rock
Wait Until Dark
Battleground

Warner Archive do actual pressed discs, right? Really want to jump on Black Rock.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive Blus are always pressed. They just do limited runs.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sony's MOD BD-Rs. They issued Body Double right after Twilight Time's edition went OOP and a region free edition is in the UK anyways.

Sony also licensed The Lady from Shanghai to TCM Archives only for it to be switched to Mill Creek.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Arrow is putting out the complete House series in the UK. Which is cool if you like some schlock.
And they are releasing a Pieces limited edition with a puzzle. Makes me happy since I missed the US release.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140.32409.124795987554404/1382968778403779/?type=3&theater

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

mallratcal posted:

Pieces limited edition with a puzzle

hell yeah

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I liked Slugs a lot, will I like Pieces?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

watch Pieces

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Live Die Repeat UV code to the first person to PM me a picture of your dog. (GIS if you do not own a dog.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Live Die Repeat UV code to the first person to PM me a picture of your dog. (GIS if you do not own a dog.)

No way, you're just going to try and steal my dog.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pieces has the single stupidest and most hilarious twist ending ever.

Also the "campus stud" is the same guy who sang Hideous Control Now in Pod People (which Simon co-directed.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

No way, you're just going to try and steal my dog.

Foiled again. Alright. Anyone want this code? I think I posted about it in this thread already, but the bluray copy I got earlier didn't have the actual bluray disc inside, so they sent me another one, which had a spare code.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Foiled again. Alright. Anyone want this code? I think I posted about it in this thread already, but the bluray copy I got earlier didn't have the actual bluray disc inside, so they sent me another one, which had a spare code.

I'll take it if it's still avaliable?

Dog:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cute doggie. :3: The code's in the mail.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cute doggie. :3: The code's in the mail.

Thanking you

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
God drat it every time someone is giving out UV codes in exchange for pictures of dogs I miss it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$13.99 - Hell Or High Water (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Hell-or-High...6e01db9a25c6965
$13.99 - War Dogs (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/War-Dogs-Blu...1a6d03452727077

$3.99 - Road To Perdition https://www.amazon.com/Road-to-Perd...b65b59f52f43de3
$14.99 - Better Call Saul Season 2 (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Better-Call-...ad5b5b07ae3c116

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 12, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

New Twilight Time announcements:

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING (1967) BLU-RAY - March 14th

BABY BOOM (1987) BLU-RAY - March 14th

PEYTON PLACE (1957) BLU-RAY - March 14th

OUR MAN IN HAVANA (1959) BLU-RAY - March 14th

THE FORTUNE COOKIE (1966) BLU-RAY - April 11th

YEAR OF THE COMET (1992) BLU-RAY - April 11th

HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966) BLU-RAY - April 11th

YOU’LL NEVER GET RICH (1941) BLU-RAY - April 11th

ANOTHER WOMAN (1988) BLU-RAY - April 11th

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Super long shot here, but would anyone (Egbert) know about Tales From The Third Dimension in 3D? It's a solid horror anthology that was released on VHS. A DVD exists, but I think it's just a bootleg rip of the VHS.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Please watch this if you haven't. My favorite movie musical.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

Super long shot here, but would anyone (Egbert) know about Tales From The Third Dimension in 3D? It's a solid horror anthology that was released on VHS. A DVD exists, but I think it's just a bootleg rip of the VHS.

There seems to be an effort to release any 3-D film that can be cleared with legal since Redemption just put out The Stewardesses, which is regarded as one of the worst movies ever made.

I'd keep an eye on the 3-D Film Archive website:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

Please watch this if you haven't. My favorite movie musical.

Surprisingly applicable to the modern working environment as well. Company Way is one of those songs that never seems to lose its relevance.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

ANOTHER WOMAN (1988) BLU-RAY - April 11th

Oh poo poo this is a great film.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Deal Of The Day

$18.99 - Mel Brooks Collection (The Twelve Chairs/Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein/Silent Movie/High Anxiety/History of the World - Part 1/To Be or Not to Be/Spaceballs/Robin Hood: Men in Tights) https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Brooks-C...47d1341cd830303

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Already got Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, but worth it for The Twelve Chairs, Silent Movie, and Men in Tights. Just ordered.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I received the BFI Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray. It's missing the opening scene of the man with the lantern and the creepy shadowy figure approaching. The version I watched on Shudder had this scene. Can someone explain the discrepancy?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I received the BFI Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray. It's missing the opening scene of the man with the lantern and the creepy shadowy figure approaching. The version I watched on Shudder had this scene. Can someone explain the discrepancy?

It's suspected the "Man with a Lantern" scene was shot for non-US prints for the 1929 sound re-issue of Phantom of the Opera. The complete sound discs survive for the 1929 US version and there's nothing on the soundtrack for that.

The version more commonly circulated was an international silent cut from 1930 meant to be shown in theaters that couldn't play sound films. That's why it has reshoots and changed intertitles/credits from 1929, but deletes all totally new scenes with sync dialogue. That's the only version to survive in full on 35mm because that's the only camera negative left in Universal's vault when it was copied at George Eastman House in 1950. Another theory is that the negative was recut with the intention of having a new print made to use as a guide for the makers of the 1943 remake.

The 1925 version survives mostly complete solely from show-at-home 16mm prints made after the '25 theatrical release.

The brief color section survives as a dye-transfer fragment from the 1929 release - the 1925 release had a lot more color sequences throughout the film. The Photoplay restoration re-created the stencil color for the Phantom on the rooftop and also digitally colorized the following scene since it was originally Technicolor, but only survives in B&W.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Interesting. Do you know if the man with the lantern scene is included on the US blu-ray release? I'm assuming it is, as that's probably Shudder's source.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Interesting. Do you know if the man with the lantern scene is included on the US blu-ray release? I'm assuming it is, as that's probably Shudder's source.

I sold my Image Blu-Ray in anticipation of getting either the Kino or BFI, but I recall it being there. It was definitely on the Image DVD.

By the way, I finally got around to getting the Mack Sennett set that Flicker Alley put out. It's a 3-disc collection of films ranging from 1910 to 1933, all fully restored.

Here's some shots from Fatty and Mabel Adrift:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So if I had just paid attention to my blu-ray, it actually includes the Man with the Lantern sequence as a special feature. And the included booklet explains all about it. :ughh: They left it out of the film because, just like you said, it probably wasn't a part of the original version

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, if anyone wants the Flicker Alley Blu of A Trip to the Moon, it's going OOP after the 31st.
https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-movies/#!/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-In-Its-Original-1902-Colors-The-Extraordinary-Voyage/p/41384371

It's on sale on their site at 40% off. Besides including the restored color version of A Trip to the Moon, it also includes a regular B&W version (with two more conventional scores), an hour-long documentary on the film and Melies, as well as two extra Melies shorts in HD.

I think it's mainly because the exclusivity window of the restoration having the bizarre score by AIR. It wouldn't surprise me if they replaced it with a Blu-Ray edition of the complete surviving Melies set eventually.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I own that and it's awesome. I highly recommend everyone picking it up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Marx Brothers boxset is the deal of the day today.

$27.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHJKAK...e58931d61b2b76f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Marx Brothers boxset is the deal of the day today.

$27.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHJKAK...e58931d61b2b76f

One of the best releases of the year. Universal did a fantastic job restoring the films, even though the surviving film elements were in bad shape.

• Locked thread