Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which platform was Aladdin better on though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
SNES version all the way

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

Which platform was Aladdin better on though?

I was on the Nintendo side of the '90s console wars, but I liked the Genesis versions of the Disney games better. I didn't know until now that there were people that felt differently.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I played it on the good old PC. The game was probably easier with any sort of gamepad instead of a keayboard though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There was a PC port of Aladdin? I had the PC port of The Lion King, played it on my good ol' Gravis GamePad.
Speaking of Lion King, I remember being stuck trying to get past That One Spot for weeks, I can't remember how I figured out how to pass it since it's been at least 20 years since I played the game.
It was vindicating when I learned years later that they did that poo poo intentionally to keep as many people as possible from beating the game, which is pretty hosed up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm definitely seeing Rogue One with a buddy of mine who isn't really into Star Wars. We won't go to the premiere though as I don't really like watching movies in fully packed theaters.

Also that Assassin's Creed movie is releasing a week after Star Wars :rip:. I would be already calculating how much of a loss it will be if I had anything to do with the movie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least it's not releasing the same weekend. That'd be a bloodbath.

The Assassin's Creed movie is going to be bad, right? I can't imagine it not being.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'll put my box office projection for the AssCreed movie around a little less than what Chipmunks 4 made when it tried to go up against Force Awakens

Definitely excited about Rogue One tho, I've been waiting literally all year for it to come out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't there an assassin's creed short series tie-in for 2 that was decent? It was entirely just shorts tho I think, and it was about ezio's dad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

The Assassin's Creed movie is going to be bad, right? I can't imagine it not being.

The trailers make it look horrible, I can't imagine it being a good movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

By the end of the month you'll probably forget it existed, just like Ratchet and Clank, which I only remembered specifically to make this comparison and will probably forget again by the time I hit the post button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new Ratchet and Clank game was so disappointing and it's almost exclusively the movie's fault :smith:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ac the game the movie will be terrible, but i will still go see it because im an idiot that loves to waste time and money i guess

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: the "I just can't wait to be king" level in The Lion King was such bullshit because Disney had a thing where they didn't want their games beatable in a single rental so they had the developer make that level much harder and longer than it originally was supposed to be.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Fun fact: the "I just can't wait to be king" level in The Lion King was such bullshit because Disney had a thing where they didn't want their games beatable in a single rental so they had the developer make that level much harder and longer than it originally was supposed to be.

That was my favourite level.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The new Ratchet and Clank game was so disappointing and it's almost exclusively the movie's fault :smith:

Wasn't it just a remake of the first game? What was wrong with it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

read a spoiler revealing who the Rogue One is... let's just say star wars fans are gonna wanna "c"3po this one

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

That was my favourite level.
I had the monkey flipping sequences memorized. When I think about it now that was some insane poo poo, my god.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't there an assassin's creed short series tie-in for 2 that was decent? It was entirely just shorts tho I think, and it was about ezio's dad

There's that one where Ezio is an old man and was contacted by a member of the Chinese chapter and got angry because he wanted to live in peace for the rest of his life.

The movie wasn't bad actually.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

I played Tools of Destruction for the first time a few weeks ago, finding it just kind of OK. Definitely felt like the type of game I would have been all over when it first came out but in 2016 is just kind of a drag. That said I was toying with the idea of trying out the PS4 remake at some point, so I'd be curious as to know what's wrong with it as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

I had the monkey flipping sequences memorized. When I think about it now that was some insane poo poo, my god.

The colours, the music, the labyrinth esque nature of the monkeys- I loved it all! I'm glad Disney had that mandate.

This is also the reason that since I got my WiiU, I've been slowly going through Donkey Kong Country 1 and love any maze barrel section.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VideoGames posted:

The colours, the music, the labyrinth esque nature of the monkeys- I loved it all! I'm glad Disney had that mandate.

Yeah the second level in Lion King was hard as hell but drat it's so stylish. I wish they chose a different level to be hard because that one is just great. Once you get past it though the rest of the game is not too bad in terms of difficulty.

Speaking of The Lion King, did anyone have the total disaster Windows version? It was so bad that it gave birth to Direct X to make Windows games better.

Wikipedia posted:

The Windows 3.1 version relied on the WinG graphics API, but a series of Compaq Presarios were not tested with WinG, which caused the game to crash while loading. The crashes caused game developers to be suspicious of Windows as a viable platform and instead many stuck with MS-DOS. To prevent further hardware/software compatibility issues, Direct X was created. This also led to the Windows 95 port of Doom to try to regain developers' faith in Windows.

VideoGames posted:

This is also the reason that since I got my WiiU, I've been slowly going through Donkey Kong Country 1 and love any maze barrel section.

Barrel mazes are so satisfying in DKC1. The second and third games don't really capture the hectic feel of it. Probably because barrel firing in the sequels just feels slower and more deliberate.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm watching the developer LP video of it right now and that loving monkey throwing bit gave me PTSD.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

I'm watching the developer LP video of it right now and that loving monkey throwing bit gave me PTSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmPXjDW9wmU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I too actually enjoyed the money puzzle but the ostrich riding bit can gently caress right off

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I too actually enjoyed the money puzzle but the ostrich riding bit can gently caress right off

This was the actual lovely part imo.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Harrow posted:

I'm excited for Rogue One but I'm also a little bit disappointed that (putting this in spoilers in case anyone is intentionally avoiding trailers) Vader is in it. I was hoping for a lightsaber-free Star Wars movie, just for the sheer novelty of it. Still looks like it's going to be pretty cool, though.

Have you considered watching other movies? Many of them are like Star Wars without lightsabers.

Also I wasn't aware of many video game controversies this year. They seemed to blow over really quickly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Have you considered watching other movies? Many of them are like Star Wars without lightsabers.

I mean, obviously, but a specifically Star Wars movie that focuses entirely on characters who aren't Jedi or Sith or Force sensitive at all would be really cool. There are plenty of science fiction/science fantasy movies to watch, but an actual Star Wars movie that didn't have to do with those things would be a fresh thing for the franchise, is all. Obviously we're never going to get that but I still think it would've been neat. :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cavelcade posted:

Also I wasn't aware of many video game controversies this year. They seemed to blow over really quickly.

No one wants to post anything controversial because a swarm of locusts will destroy your site and the twitter accounts of all your staff.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

Obviously we're never going to get that but I still think it would've been neat. :shrug:
Well, the young Han Solo and Boba Fett movies are coming. They will probably still have lightsabers in them but at least the main characters specifically don't rely on using the force and according to the movies (not EU so Disney will probably at least consider it) Han Solo didn't even believe in the force before the destruction of the first Death Star.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

No one wants to post anything controversial because a swarm of locusts will destroy your site and the twitter accounts of all your staff.

A YouTube dude, MrBtongue, who generally posts interesting video game criticism, posted a video back in January in which he argued that more diversity in game development is good for games. His reason was, well, people with different identities and cultures can bring different points of view and give us games that others might not have thought of, and that's all. He used The Witcher 3 as an example of a game that has an inherent "Polishness" as an example of how a non-American or Western European cultures can bring us something unique and cool.

Naturally, the video is his most-disliked video because it means he's an SJW.

Palpek posted:

Well, the young Han Solo and Boba Fett movies are coming. They will probably still have lightsabers in them but at least the main characters specifically don't rely on using the force and according to the movies (not EU so Disney will probably at least consider it) Han Solo didn't even believe in the force before the destruction of the first Death Star.

True. Though I'm also extremely skeptical about those movies for other reasons. Donald Glover being cast as a young Lando Calrissian does make me want to go see the Han Solo one, at least.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Harrow posted:

I mean, obviously, but a specifically Star Wars movie that focuses entirely on characters who aren't Jedi or Sith or Force sensitive at all would be really cool. There are plenty of science fiction/science fantasy movies to watch, but an actual Star Wars movie that didn't have to do with those things would be a fresh thing for the franchise, is all. Obviously we're never going to get that but I still think it would've been neat. :shrug:

I dunno, that seems like you're just giving up the only thing that makes Star Wars unique while constraining yourself to have to deal with all the stuff people will expect from that setting. :shrug:

haveblue posted:

Probably. I guess that's why the No Man's Sky one went on for so long, it wasn't controversial to call out the bullshit with that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I played x-wing before I saw star wars so I always liked the cool spaceship laser fights more than the dumb lightsaber stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I dunno, that seems like you're just giving up the only thing that makes Star Wars unique while constraining yourself to have to deal with all the stuff people will expect from that setting. :shrug:

I don't agree with that assessment of Star Wars as a setting, though. I should point out (since your phrasing makes me think that I'm coming across as caring about this lot more deeply about this than I do) that I'm not, like, forcing myself to go see Rogue One or something. I'm gonna go see it because it looks like it's going to be a pretty neat movie. I just think it missed an opportunity.

I mean, poo poo, look at Star Wars Galaxies. Just about everyone who played that game while it was still an even halfway-decent game did so with very limited contact with the Force or Jedi or anything like that and it was pretty great. Or the Star Wars X-Wing or Rogue Squadron games. Some of the storylines in Star Wars: The Old Republic, too, like the Imperial Agent one--sure, Jedi and Sith are fuckin' everyone in that time period so it's not like they're totally mundane plots, but the player and all his/her allies are non-Force users and your main story has very little to do with either Jedi or Sith, but it still feels Star Wars.

Rogue One is already going to be chock full of Star Wars nostalgia: it's about the original Death Star, after all. I don't think it would have felt like it wasn't Star Wars if there wasn't also explicit Force use going on, too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got to the linear part of FFXV. lol at you literally being on a train and making stops.

Probably be cooler if the first dungeon after this happens wasn't trash.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
my first star wars was episode 1 and i remember asking my folks if i could go sit in the car and play game boy instead because i was bored af lol

e: i get to play ffxv this weekend, hooray

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

A lot of professional and semi-professional pot stirrers had bigger fish to fry in the form of the US Presidential Election, too.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Harrow posted:

I don't agree with that assessment of Star Wars as a setting, though. I should point out (since your phrasing makes me think that I'm coming across as caring about this lot more deeply about this than I do) that I'm not, like, forcing myself to go see Rogue One or something. I'm gonna go see it because it looks like it's going to be a pretty neat movie. I just think it missed an opportunity.

I mean, poo poo, look at Star Wars Galaxies. Just about everyone who played that game while it was still an even halfway-decent game did so with very limited contact with the Force or Jedi or anything like that and it was pretty great. Or the Star Wars X-Wing or Rogue Squadron games. Some of the storylines in Star Wars: The Old Republic, too, like the Imperial Agent one--sure, Jedi and Sith are fuckin' everyone in that time period so it's not like they're totally mundane plots, but the player and all his/her allies are non-Force users and your main story has very little to do with either Jedi or Sith, but it still feels Star Wars.

Rogue One is already going to be chock full of Star Wars nostalgia: it's about the original Death Star, after all. I don't think it would have felt like it wasn't Star Wars if there wasn't also explicit Force use going on, too.

I'm being a bit unfair on it, but I just don't really get why you'd want to tie yourself down with all the baggage of the setting instead of doing your own thing.

I mean I do, kind of - financial security, mitigating risk, etc, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Edit: And I was sad not to play SW:G in its heyday, it seemed really cool but I came across it way too late.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I got the Phantom Menace game for Christmas one year and I couldn't play it because I didn't have a 3D accelerator card so I also got a Voodoo that year as a late gift lol

I want to say getting the card was the best thing to come out of getting that game but I actually enjoyed playing it way more than I should have.

I remember looking up a cheat list and one of them was "TURNTABLES" and when you type it in you get a message saying "The tables have turned..." I had no idea what the hell it even did until I went to Mos Espa and saw 15 foot tall jawas. :supaburn:

Never finished that game though, despite all the hours I put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My star wars experience is playing a store demo of Rogue Squadron 2 (and Luigi's Mansion) on Gamecube and thinking they were the best graphics I had ever seen

• Locked thread