Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You aren't going to get a good TV that's not a smart TV. So, if you are going to die on that hill, just buy the cheapest store brand you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

bull3964 posted:

You aren't going to get a good TV that's not a smart TV. So, if you are going to die on that hill, just buy the cheapest store brand you can find.

Other way around - I like the SmartTV, but I want one running actual Android that I can throw Kodi on, or be $50 cheaper and I'll just lock it to HDMI-1 and throw on a fire stick. Samsung and LG both run their own special snowflake OS, and I think Toshiba does as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deleting smart functions doesn't decrease the cost of the TV. If your don't want to use them, just ignore them.

Only TV manufacturers using Android TV right now are Sony and Sharp. We already mentioned Sharp is just a name for Hisense right now. Sony only has 3 models that come in at under 55" that have 4k and one of them (the cheapest) is a 2015 model that's mostly out of stock. Even then, it starts at $599 for 43".

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Harik posted:

Other way around - I like the SmartTV, but I want one running actual Android that I can throw Kodi on, or be $50 cheaper and I'll just lock it to HDMI-1 and throw on a fire stick. Samsung and LG both run their own special snowflake OS, and I think Toshiba does as well.

Jesus christ they all have HDMI ports just plug in a cheap device that will run whatever you want.

Don't make a choice over $50.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aren't most LG non-OLED 4K screens using RGBW pixels that give them an effective resolution of 2.8K too? Don't absolutely quote me on this, but I've seen a ton of nerd rage about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At the sizes discussed, I don't think it will really matter.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

bull3964 posted:

Deleting smart functions doesn't decrease the cost of the TV. If your don't want to use them, just ignore them.

It shouldn't, but I went shopping, today, and ~~market segmentation~~ meant that there would be a premium because the TV was "smart". I think that non-smart TVs died off this year though, I don't recall seeing any 2016 models without it.

bull3964 posted:

Only TV manufacturers using Android TV right now are Sony and Sharp. We already mentioned Sharp is just a name for Hisense right now. Sony only has 3 models that come in at under 55" that have 4k and one of them (the cheapest) is a 2015 model that's mostly out of stock. Even then, it starts at $599 for 43".

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks. It's not worth getting a poo poo screen or overpaying when I can just plug a box into HDMI-1 and call it a day. I'll look into a false wall to make the media nook shallower, if I can do that without looking like complete poo poo I'll hang one of the recommended 55s on it. Appreciate the answers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

At the sizes discussed, I don't think it will really matter.

It's still crummy marketing and something to be aware of. At the price/size point, I'd probably get the best 1080p screen I could anyway TBH.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My prized Panasonic Plasma is finally starting to show its age and I've had to repair it a few times. I'm getting tired of taking it apart and waiting for parts from ebay. I can probably keep it hobbling along another year, should I be waiting or are there some good 4k, HDR sets now? I can spend about 2k Canadian on something or save up for awhile. A friend of mine said HDR/4K stuff is just a mess and to wait but I don't know how knowledgeable he is about this stuff.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Gunslinger posted:

My prized Panasonic Plasma is finally starting to show its age and I've had to repair it a few times. I'm getting tired of taking it apart and waiting for parts from ebay. I can probably keep it hobbling along another year, should I be waiting or are there some good 4k, HDR sets now? I can spend about 2k Canadian on something or save up for awhile. A friend of mine said HDR/4K stuff is just a mess and to wait but I don't know how knowledgeable he is about this stuff.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. 15 minutes of googling and you should be able to answer almost any question you might have. Many of us have purchased LG OLED TVs and have all been blown away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More leaked info about Sony's OLED lineup.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sony-oled-tvs-definitely-launching-in-2017.html

The most surprising thing is the price. The leaked pricing info puts it on par with the current discounted C6 prices.

This is very interesting and tells us a few things if true.

1) LG's TVs may be cheaper still since Sony likes to maintain a premium over other brands.

2) Sony doesn't view this as their top end display since it is quite a bit cheaper than their current Z9D flagship .

Likely, Sony views LG's OLED panels as the only way to affordably reach the midrange market and with the same performance as the Z9D. I'm wondering if they are having issues moving the tech down market, so they need a stopgap solution. The Z9D is going to remain the flagship since OLED can't get anywhere near as bright or big. At any rate, it's good news for everyone. I love my C6, but a part of me wishes I held off until this came out. Sony still has the best motion engine in the business and AndroidTV is a superior platform to WebOS.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. 15 minutes of googling and you should be able to answer almost any question you might have. Many of us have purchased LG OLED TVs and have all been blown away.

I've already tried googling this and came up with far too many options, I also don't know TV stuff that well to start with. To anyone else, any particular models that are a good value at or around my budget? I'm looking for a 50-55" set, 4k/HDR etc. I do a fair amount of gaming as well if that matters.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You listed an option of saving up. Save up and get the OLED.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

More leaked info about Sony's OLED lineup.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sony-oled-tvs-definitely-launching-in-2017.html

The most surprising thing is the price. The leaked pricing info puts it on par with the current discounted C6 prices.

This is very interesting and tells us a few things if true.

1) LG's TVs may be cheaper still since Sony likes to maintain a premium over other brands.

2) Sony doesn't view this as their top end display since it is quite a bit cheaper than their current Z9D flagship .

Likely, Sony views LG's OLED panels as the only way to affordably reach the midrange market and with the same performance as the Z9D. I'm wondering if they are having issues moving the tech down market, so they need a stopgap solution. The Z9D is going to remain the flagship since OLED can't get anywhere near as bright or big. At any rate, it's good news for everyone. I love my C6, but a part of me wishes I held off until this came out. Sony still has the best motion engine in the business and AndroidTV is a superior platform to WebOS.

This is great. I'm happy that I bought the C6 for the living room and can wait for these Sony's to come out and put one in my theater. Thanks for the info.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You listed an option of saving up. Save up and get the OLED.

One of the LGs then? I assume I'm shooting for something like this? I don't know anything about TVs so I was looking for recommendations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Gunslinger posted:

One of the LGs then? I assume I'm shooting for something like this? I don't know anything about TVs so I was looking for recommendations.

That would be the one. That's the B6 which has a bit slower input lag and doesn't do 3D , if those things are important to you. The C6, which I couldn't find on that site is the curved model and it does 3D has better input lag.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I got handed down an LG television from a relative and I'm really happy with it, but there's an issue, there's only one HDMI port.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-50PB5600

What are my best options in terms of setting up an HDMI adapter splitter or switch? Any recommendations?

The television came with some cheap basic splitters from Amazon bought by my relative, but they're unreliable, the picture quality through them has lots of flickery pixels.

I'm looking for a solid solution, preferably an adapter splitter or switch that doesn't require an external power and has an input detection.

I have several game consoles and I really don't want to be unplugging the HDMI port every time I go from a Nintendo game to a Sony game.

Thanks in advance.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Harik posted:

I'll look into a false wall to make the media nook shallower, if I can do that without looking like complete poo poo I'll hang one of the recommended 55s on it. Appreciate the answers.

Monoprice also has some mounts that can hold the TV pretty far out from the wall if you want to try that approach.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Godface posted:

I got handed down an LG television from a relative and I'm really happy with it, but there's an issue, there's only one HDMI port.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-50PB5600

What are my best options in terms of setting up an HDMI adapter splitter or switch? Any recommendations?

The television came with some cheap basic splitters from Amazon bought by my relative, but they're unreliable, the picture quality through them has lots of flickery pixels.

I'm looking for a solid solution, preferably an adapter splitter or switch that doesn't require an external power and has an input detection.

I have several game consoles and I really don't want to be unplugging the HDMI port every time I go from a Nintendo game to a Sony game.

Thanks in advance.

Any chance of getting an a/v receiver into your setup? If not, check out monoprice, as far as I've heard/used, they're reliable for what you're looking for.

Scared of Bees
May 14, 2004
Save your fork there is pie!!
Haven't had any luck finding an answer on google, maybe someone can tell what this issue is and confirm it needs to be returned.
It's a Vizio D-Series, 50" 4K UHD, only 2 weeks old, just started today. That ghost image pops in and out ever 2sec.
Happens on ever input from my xbox to ps4 and multiple hdmi cables.

I can unplug the TV and let it sit for a bit then turn it back on and it's fine for a while, but eventually comes back. I've reset factory settings also, still came back.

http://imgur.com/a/WQqgL

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Help. We want a new TV for the bedroom, where we watch movies. This TV is never used for gaming, and we have middle-aged vision. I'm thinking 42" or so because bedroom.

I am concerned about smart TVs. Samsung notoriously decided to serve ads in their smart TVs last summer. Vizio's smart TV interface apparently makes a grown tech cry. I'm perfectly happy to plug @#$@34 HDMI splitters into a new TV and ignore the OS; is this practical? I'm plugging in a Roku, a Tivo (yeah, yeah, old technology), and a DVD/Bluray player. I had been going to get a Samsung UN40J5200, but the reliability reviews on Amazon look frightening.

We're streaming from Plex, Amazon, Acorn TV, Netflix, and YouTube. We watch a lot of European TV, so we depend on our region-free DVD/Blu-Ray player to watch the stuff we want to watch.

What would you get as a set-it-and-forget-it bedroom TV? We are a pair of olds who are tired in the evening, who watch a movie or a couple of TV shows and then go to sleep. What is the minimum size I have to get to get something resembling reliability? And how concerned should I be that Samsung TVs are going to reintroduce software that does poo poo I don't want done?

FWIW, I am competent enough at general development to provision an AWS instance and compile and run some code. I can set up and use an IDE. I have been beating my head against bad user interfaces since 1977. I would rather not spend more than an hour introducing a new TV to its peripherals and to our home network.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I haven't seen any ads in the 2016 (Tizen) Samsung models except for a "featured" app. I would say it works acceptably except that sometimes I have to force quit Plex to get it to work when I've launched it but then gone to something else and come back.

The 2015 Samsung interface is for poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would buy a vizio.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sellouts posted:

I would buy a vizio.

As a happy new owner of a 2016 65" Vizio M, I would note that Vizio TVs don't have any way to get Amazon streaming in though their smart interface , but absolutely everything else including major networks' lovely apps work.

I absolutely love the panel, but the TV also sucks at upscaling 720p or especially 480p content. Looks amazing with 1080p or higher stuff, though. I'm using the TV's smart interface to watch anything but low-res stuff, and an HTPC to watch things that need upscaling. Overkill, but my previous TV was dumb so I used the HTPC as a source for everything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For 42" the options are limited. Unless you're in LA then come pick up my Sharp 42" 1080p dumb tv for name your price.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I went with the thread suggestion and got a Vizio, the E43U-D2. 43 inches, theoretically 4K. Ghastly, ghastly setup using an Android phone, including multiple refusals to pair with mine. Now waiting for firmware update to download and install.

You can't actually run the thing as a dumb TV; you have to let it into your network so you can use your phone as a remote. The included dumb remote doesn't work until you've paired it with the network.

Hi-ho. Picture looks nice?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Android phone thing comes up a fair bit with Vizio... what do you do if you have an iPhone?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Download the app, just like you do on an Android.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah ok, it's just always described purely as Android not smartphone.

E: and presuming if you're one of the people left on the planet who genuinely don't have a smart phone, I guess you need to bring a friend around or something? Do they at least make this clear on the packaging or something? It's always sounded an odd system, but one I've not had any experience with.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 11, 2016

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
That's probably because Bluetooth on Android phones generally sucks. I had a P series TV for a few days before returning it and had no problems with the iOS app.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've got a 55" sharp aquos smart tv from about 2-3 years ago and within the last few months it's been dropping wifi randomly. I'll be watching Netflix and randomly it will just lose the connection and I get a standard "not connected to wifi" message. Exiting and entering the app doesn't do anything. No other apps work that require internet (not even my kindle fire stick). The only thing that works is unplugging the tv from the wall and plugging it back in. I can just unplug it for a second and then it reconnects to the wifi just fine.

Any ideas? I'm not finding anything through google.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1997 posted:

That's probably because Bluetooth on Android phones generally sucks.

Wut

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah ok, it's just always described purely as Android not smartphone.

E: and presuming if you're one of the people left on the planet who genuinely don't have a smart phone, I guess you need to bring a friend around or something? Do they at least make this clear on the packaging or something? It's always sounded an odd system, but one I've not had any experience with.

Vizio will happily sell you a tablet remote. (This comes bundled with their highest-end TVs.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everyone in the Android thread constantly complains about it. It doesn't seem to be limited to any particular phones.

But that's also not a really good indicator for obvious reasons.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Vizio will happily sell you a tablet remote. (This comes bundled with their highest-end TVs.)

Omg $200 for that trash android tablet is unconscionable. I got my m50-d1 for 550 total and it included one for "free"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So what's the deal with curved screens? I'm eyeing one of the LG OLED 4k 65" beasts, and I can't decided between curved or flat screens. I do have some viewing angles off to the side, if that matters.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Enos Cabell posted:

So what's the deal with curved screens? I'm eyeing one of the LG OLED 4k 65" beasts, and I can't decided between curved or flat screens. I do have some viewing angles off to the side, if that matters.

It's really just personal preference. When you're looking straight on, it's really hard to tell it's even there unless you're laying on the couch sideways. We upgraded to a newer Samsung and at first we got a flat 70" but the PQ wasn't as good as the old one, and as a personal anecdote, my fiance said she missed the curve from the old one for when she walked in from the kitchen to look at something from an off-angle. Obviously just a small thing but we ended up with the KS8500 after that and we are happy with it.

tldr it doesn't make a real difference and you may like it, but others hate it for whatever reason. Just go look at both and see if it is something that will bother you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

beergod posted:

Omg $200 for that trash android tablet is unconscionable. I got my m50-d1 for 550 total and it included one for "free"
Isn't it, though?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I think that the included tablet is better than the $35 Amazon Fire Tablet, it's not awful. I do wish there was an option to get the TV $25 cheaper without a tablet, but I'm not crying over the tablet being included with purchase of an M series TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

comper posted:

tldr it doesn't make a real difference and you may like it, but others hate it for whatever reason. Just go look at both and see if it is something that will bother you.

I'll have to go check them out. I did just realize that the B6 model doesn't have 3D, while the C6 does. I'd have to step up to the E6 for a flat screen 3d, which is like $700 more (on Amazon anyway).