Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good to know! Though I can't ever see needing to do a balance transfer.

The only potentially savvy/GWM reason to use a balance transfer I can think of is to daisy chain 0% APR periods together. Chase Slate offers no fee on introductory balance transfers do you can put a large purchase like a remodel or something on a rewards card like Citi Double Cash, then balance transfer for zero fee to a second introductory APR period for a net of 2% cash back and 33 months at 0% APR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

This is where I seem to be struggling as far transferring points to a partner. I was trying to research a few potential destinations for UR points but actually finding award fares seems challenging.

Where are you trying to get to, and with how many people? I've found that you can find 2 TPAC business seats pretty regularly with Star Alliance. Can generally do the same to Europe if you're willing to connect through Istanbul on Turkish.

e: Also, if you're going anywhere in Asia then Korean has oodles of availability and the most US gateways of any TPAC airline. Just gotta watch out for the peak periods on the award chart.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Good job you crazy bastards:

quote:

JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s new Sapphire Reserve credit card will reduce the bank’s profit by $200 million to $300 million in the fourth quarter, according to Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-06/dimon-says-new-card-cuts-profit-by-up-to-300-million-in-quarter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

They are still posting $5 billion in quarterly profit and Dimon says that the loss is a great thing because it means so many people signed up. If only 20% of those people keep their cards for more than a year, then they will come out ahead.

If everyone dumps it before the next annual fee is due, then they might get gun shy about huge signup bonuses on future cards.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are still posting $5 billion in quarterly profit and Dimon says that the loss is a great thing because it means so many people signed up. If only 20% of those people keep their cards for more than a year, then they will come out ahead.

If everyone dumps it before the next annual fee is due, then they might get gun shy about huge signup bonuses on future cards.

Alright yall I'm signing up in March so hold out until then

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Virtue posted:

Alright yall I'm signing up in March so hold out until then

I haven't signed up for any cards since June 1st and I still won't be 5/24 until Spring 2018 :negative:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

I haven't signed up for any cards since June 1st and I still won't be 5/24 until Spring 2018 :negative:

If you haven't signed up for a Chase card in 6+ months there's speculation that you have a higher chance of it appearing as an offer either online or in branch.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any good balance transfer cards with promo $0 BT fee? Besides the Slate? Or otherwise any tricks for paying a CSP balance with the Slate since I know they don't really want to let you do that?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Citi double cash card and they keep sending me 0 bt offers. I don't have any balance to transfer so I can't really say more than that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

0 fee or just 0% APR? Lots offer 0% APR for so long, but usually charge 3% balance fee.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a Citi double cash card and they keep sending me 0 bt offers. I don't have any balance to transfer so I can't really say more than that.

Citi BTs are not free, they carry standard 3% fee. But yes they send a crapload of BT checks out, I guess they make a huge amount of money on those if they can afford millions of mailings every month.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Citi BTs are not free, they carry standard 3% fee. But yes they send a crapload of BT checks out, I guess they make a huge amount of money on those if they can afford millions of mailings every month.

Guess I never read it carefully. I even called them and told them to stop sending them to me. Get like 2/week. They stopped for a month and it's started again.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I am so loving tired of getting those checks in the mail.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Barry posted:

I am so loving tired of getting those checks in the mail.
Secure message them and request that they stop sending them. It takes a little bit, but it does actually work!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Hoping you guys can help me justify a change in credit cards. I currently use a Citi Thank You Preferred and am looking to replace it with a Thank You Premier Card. My credit score is excellent so I don't think I'll have problems qualifying for it, I also pay off my balance completely every month. The reason for the change is because I do travel a lot and want to take advantage of No Foreign Transaction Fees and also the additional ThankYou points I can earn based on travel purchases. I do however see this card has an annual fee of $95, which I understand I think I can justify because I would earn a lot more in rewards. I was looking at airline-specific credit cards like the MileagePlus Explorer but I don't want to be tied down to a single airline when I travel. I'd like to stick with Citicards if possible as I've been using them for over 10 years now and have had a great experience. Does it make sense to make the switch to the Premier card?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Tailored Sauce posted:

Hoping you guys can help me justify a change in credit cards. I currently use a Citi Thank You Preferred and am looking to replace it with a Thank You Premier Card. My credit score is excellent so I don't think I'll have problems qualifying for it, I also pay off my balance completely every month. The reason for the change is because I do travel a lot and want to take advantage of No Foreign Transaction Fees and also the additional ThankYou points I can earn based on travel purchases. I do however see this card has an annual fee of $95, which I understand I think I can justify because I would earn a lot more in rewards. I was looking at airline-specific credit cards like the MileagePlus Explorer but I don't want to be tied down to a single airline when I travel. I'd like to stick with Citicards if possible as I've been using them for over 10 years now and have had a great experience. Does it make sense to make the switch to the Premier card?

It probably makes more sense to get a new premier card and get the 40,000 signup bonus as long as you are eligible rather than product changing.

The premier's isn't super competitive with its Amex and chase counterparts right now because the annual fee isn't waved. Citi keeps changing their minds every few months (for a while, the premier was 50k and no fee for the first year, then a 0 point bonus, now 40k) so that could change.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Had my Global Entry interview this morning. Took three whole minutes. I'm using every benefit on the CSR and it's great.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The Sallie Mae Mastercard seems to be getting the ax. A redditor got a letter saying it is being converted into the Commence Mastercard as of March 1 and will offer 2% back on grocery stores and utilities and 1% everywhere else. :rip:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Peace out Sallie Mae I guess double cash for everything.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

THF13 posted:

The Sallie Mae Mastercard seems to be getting the ax. A redditor got a letter saying it is being converted into the Commence Mastercard as of March 1 and will offer 2% back on grocery stores and utilities and 1% everywhere else. :rip:

Nooooooooo RIP my groceries/gas card

Any other good cards out there for 5% back?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

THF13 posted:

Confirmed, just got the letter in the mail. Can continue to use card until February 28th, 2017, any points earned will continue to be credited to rewards account. After March 1 the Commerce card's rewards kick in, and any unredeemed Sallie Mae Rewards points will be converted to cash back. The commerce card sucks, I will be canceling my Sallie Mae card in February.

They did send me a $200 reward offer on a $500 spend for their Cash forward card, might consider two of those just for the signup reward, but the 1.5% just isn't that competitive.

grenada fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 15, 2016

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

THF13 posted:

just got this letter :rip:

guess i'm gettin' a double cash and juggling it with chase freedom catagories :(

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

TraderStav posted:

Had my Global Entry interview this morning. Took three whole minutes. I'm using every benefit on the CSR and it's great.

Same, although I had my interview a few months ago. I thought I'd set off some alarms since I was born overseas and I spend 90% of my time in sub-Saharan Africa for work, but I got no questions beyond "why are you applying for Global Entry?" I'm flying home tonight for the first time since being approved, so I'll get to try GE when I arrive :waycool:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

curried lamb of God posted:

but I got no questions beyond "why are you applying for Global Entry?"

What a weird question. What answer would anybody possibly give besides "I want to get through immigration quicker"?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think you understand how the TSA and similar organization work, at no point is there any rational or critical thought applied in any stage of the process. Once you get brought into an organization like that you are trained on lists of lists, you must hit all the items on the lists of lists and that's it. People don't matter, money doesn't matter, nothing matters besides the lists of lists. Once you understand their brains only operate in that mode and stop trying to interact with them like you would a normal human it's much easier to breeze through TSA/customs.

You're not a human, you're an item on a list of lists. Sometimes they'll let you glance at the lists even though they're not supposed to.

*edit or you can just go full Ari Shaffir for maximum entertainment value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYiMZNF6ME

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

They must have updated their lists because they didn't ask me why I signed up.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rip got the Sallie Mae end letter

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Rip got the Sallie Mae end letter

Same. Back to Amex Blue Cash I guess.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I think I'll just be using my double cash for everything. Does Barclays have a no fee 0 ftf I could convert this card to?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea I think I'll just be using my double cash for everything. Does Barclays have a no fee 0 ftf I could convert this card to?

Apparently Barclays is now offering the AAviator with a 40k miles bonus for anyone interested. T&C say you can't have had it before. The only way you used to be able to get this was a PC from the old US Air card.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Amex Blue Cash Everday still does 3% grocery, which I think is the best rate around for no fee. I'll probably be switching to Preferred, since I can share the card with my partner and we'll definitely buy enough groceries to beat the fee for the boost to 6%.

Also I may not be understanding it fully, but it sounds like Discover IT does 5% rotating/1% everything else like Chase Freedom, but will also match all your cash back for the first year, basically doubling everything. Seems like a good card to pick up for daily use and then put it in the rotation pile with Freedom.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2016

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

Also I may not be understanding it fully, but it sounds like Discover IT does 5% rotating/1% everything else like Chase Freedom, but will also match all your cash back for the first year, basically doubling everything. Seems like a good card to pick up for daily use and then put it in the rotation pile with Freedom.

You are understanding it fully. I hit my one-year mark this summer and got over $900 in cashback doubled. It's every bit as awesome as it sounds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Used my free anniversary night at a Holiday Inn Express last night to get ahead of a bad winter storm so I didn't have to deal with it today. It's the only reason I have this card and easily saves me $75-100 a year above the annual fee for random things like this or kids travel sports. Not a lot of SPG in Michigan but holiday inns everywhere. Highly recommend keeping this one in your stable of cards. It's not glamorous (although the one in Rochester Hills is pretty good) but solves a problem cheaply once a year.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Trip report:

- Chase UR miles transfer instantly to Flying Blue. The counter was offering upgrades for 25K (or €850, ugh) and I was 10K short, so I jumped on the Chase site, made the transfer, and the miles were available within a minute.

- Global Entry machines are really finicky about your fingerprints being at an angle

- My flight arrived at the same time as several other large international flights, so the GE line at customs saved me a ridiculous amount of time

CSR rules, A++ would use again

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

curried lamb of God posted:

- Chase UR miles transfer instantly to Flying Blue. The counter was offering upgrades for 25K (or €850, ugh) and I was 10K short, so I jumped on the Chase site, made the transfer, and the miles were available within a minute.

Air France or KLM?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

pig slut lisa posted:

Air France or KLM?

KLM, from AMS to IAH. Before that, I had taken an overnight KGL-AMS flight in economy without getting any sleep, so getting a lay-flat seat was pretty drat nice

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Just got back from Hawaii with the girl, and spent 60k UR points on three nights in the Maui Hyatt; was really nice, and they even waived resort fees since it was a points booking. Will do again fo sho!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nur_Neerg posted:

Just got back from Hawaii with the girl, and spent 60k UR points on three nights in the Maui Hyatt; was really nice, and they even waived resort fees since it was a points booking. Will do again fo sho!
Did you pay airfare yourself? Also did you book through Chase or transfer the points to Hyatt to book (sounds like the latter if they waived the resort fee)? I read recently that their rewards system is being overhauled.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 19, 2016

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Did you pay airfare yourself? Also did you book through Chase or transfer the points to Hyatt to book (sounds like the latter if they waived the resort fee)? I read recently that their rewards system is being overhauled.

Yeah, I get travel reimbursement from work, so just use that for plane tickets every year, as I either get discounted or loyalty-comped hotel rooms. I transferred to Hyatt to book, was by far the best exchange rate I saw on cashing out points. Room's normal rate was ~$600/night +$30 in resort fees a day. Spent 60k points for three nights four days that would've normally been ~$1900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Quick question: Should I reply to my Chase card's request for income info so they can increase my credit limit? It is my only credit card and I usually only spend 15% or less of my limit and pay it off every month. What are the positives/negatives of having more credit?