Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Cyouni posted:

To be fair, it is slightly safer than having her wandering around with people trying to kill her - see what happened in Normal End. And you totally know she'd follow Watase out if she had the chance.

They'd probably be safer if they went together instead of splitting the party. Teamwork! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They'd probably be safer if they went together instead of splitting the party. Teamwork! :argh:

But Watase is deliberately intending to sacrifice his life, I don't think teamwork is going to help with staying safe there

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, basically, the problem is that there's no way Ena is going to be OK with Watase throwing himself into what is at this point still considered instant fire-and-radiation death, and even if she somehow accepted that, she'd probably go off wandering on her own and get murdered. Watase was looking for some surefire way of knocking her out, and choking her out, for all its risks, is a surefire way of knocking her out. It has its own risks, but it's probably preferable to her being outright killed.

Also, quick spoiler for the next chapter, the first thing he does after going out of the room is destroying the opening mechanism on the outside, so Jun or Ukita can't just come in.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So, I was just looking back at the last few LP posts, and I notice a lot of people thinking that Ukita did something to piss of Jun while we weren't looking. In my reading, it's not that Ukita did something to Jun, it's that he blatantly says out loud that he killed Ena and then some other stuff about "you crushed my hopes", things that would cause someone who overheard it (Jun) to think that Ukita was the real killer and planned to hunt down the rest.

Also wondering what Ukita said to make Kazami accuse us of being behind it all. Having doubts is one thing, she clearly had doubts. But you'd think that after Jun had been murdered and she'd been engine-gutted she would think maybe she was wrong, but she seemed so certain.

Finally, apparently Nat believed terrorists were going to try something before he went to LABO (or at least that's what he told/said within earshot of his mother).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Desperate: 09/16/2030, 14:28

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

(This way, Moribe and the old man can't get into the room... and Teach will be safe.)

The auditory hallucination then returned with a vengeance.

{What the hell are you trying to do!?}
(Heh... I -really- must be a lunatic if I'm going to actually answer an auditory hallucination...)

Watase laughed bitterly, then answered the hallucination.

...There's no point in trying to persuade Moribe and the old man. Worse, we all only have an hour left. But even so... there's still just one way to save everyone.
{What!?}

Watase took a security card out of his pocket. It was the ''Level N'' card that the dead girl had on her. The only key that would open the door to Area N--.

...The commander said that the security system's going haywire because of those fires burning on in Area N. So if I can put out those fires-- Then that means the security system should stabilize, and the lockdown will be lifted...!
{...! You... you're not actually thinking of going to Area N by yourself, are you?}
Bingo.

The melted down nuclear reactor was in Area N. The radiation filling that area was no doubt off the charts compared to what they were faced with out here. But in spite of that-- Watase still managed to force a smile.

(Hmph... so what?)

What he truly feared wasn't death. It was powerlessness. To watch everything come to an end, helpless to stop it. With that thought in mind and his destination set, Watase started walking off. The auditory hallucination then began to shout desperately at him.

{Stop it, you dumbass! You'll die! You can't put out the fire of a burning nuclear reactor all by yourself! Even if you could, you'd be exposed to radiation for sure!}

That voice had guided Watase many a time up until now, even though he didn't know if it was his ally or his enemy. So when Watase once again heard that voice no one else knew of-- He defied it.

...Sorry, but I can't listen to you this time. Someone's gotta do it. Everyone's struggled hard for the last five hours, but look where that got us.
{You wanna die that badly? Are you really okay with dying if it means saving everyone else!?}

The voice was growing louder and angrier. Watase answered it with a wry smile.

You wouldn't understand... It's not that I want to die. I just want to save everyone, that's all.
{...? Why are you going this far...?}

This was the second time he'd been asked that today.

Watase fondly remembered that question. It was from a time where the group had worked together to find a way to survive—- a time before they were overtaken by discord. Watase quietly muttered the answer he hadn't given back then.

...Wanting to save people's been the one constant for me this whole time. It was all because you told me to save Yuuri way back when this all began.

Without any memories of the past, these few hours he'd spent here in LABO were Watase's entire life. And the few memories he had recovered had been of LABO too. This dark underground facility was the only world he knew. Maybe he could have made a different choice if he were living peacefully. But Watase had awoken in this facility consumed by radiation. All while bearing the burden of his role as a rescue squad captain.

So... all I want to do is fulfill my role. I hated feeling so powerless, surrounded by nothing but fire, explosions, and smoke. When we didn't have enough AD, I went running straight into gas and a contaminated zone. When someone fell into a hole, I grabbed their hand and pulled them out. I protected Yuuri with my body when the debris threatened to crush her... This whole time, all I've ever thought about is how to save everyone.
{...}

The voice went quiet. It wasn't surprising. There was no one out there who could understand Watase's feelings. He was an entity who'd suddenly been born into this hellish environment without any memories. He didn't know who he was-- only that he was a spirit bestowed with the sole duty of ''saving lives''- That was him. That was Watase Kasasagi. The wounds he'd gained in the process of fulfilling that duty suddenly began hurting.

His throat felt like it was on fire from thirst and all the vomiting he'd done, and his body was as heavy as lead from all the exhaustion he'd built up. And yet he did not stop. For his will was the only thing he could rely on now that he didn't even trust himself.

...I'll be damned if I let the others die because of my actions. And the same goes for letting anyone die because I did nothing. If putting out the reactor fires will save everyone, then I'll do it. Even if...

--Even if I lose my life as a result. Perhaps the auditory hallucination had figured what he was thinking, as it spoke up in a faint voice.

{...Watase... you...}
You get it now? If you do, then shut up. ...If you keep talking, I might lose my resolve.

Watase muttered that and broke off into a run. He headed for Area N, home of the burning reactor--

The Procyon's display was giving off a reading far greater than he'd ever seen before.

'12010 mSv'...!

He was then assaulted by an intense headache and severe nausea. His skin was numb, and his vision grew blurry.

... Tch.

Watase turned his Procyon off, then kept on walking.

A melted down reactor, raging hellfire, and extremely lethal doses of radiation-- Watase shuddered as he imagined that hell on Earth waiting for him right up ahead. But...

...I'm ready.

Watase kept himself from shaking, then pulled a hose out from the nearby fire hydrant. He held it with his left hand, with the security card in the right.

(Extinguishing preparations all set. Let's roll.)

Though genuine danger lay just up ahead, Watase did not falter. Endless courage was coursing through him. He suddenly broke out into a smile.

(Looks like I finally became... a true rescue worker.)

He then took the card in his hand-- And opened the gate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Area N: 09/16/2030, 14:34

♪ BGM: Machines Whirring ♫

At that moment, he felt as if he had stepped into a raging storm. An invisible force broke over his body with earth-shattering power. Yet Watase stood his ground and opened his eyes-- Then saw what lay on the other side of the gate.

Watase gasped in the face of that sight. Standing on the other side of the door-- was a gigantic hall filled with the faint sound of running machinery.

Wha... what the hell!?

There was supposed to be a melted down nuclear reactor there. There were supposed to be fires causing the security system to go haywire there. Yet all he saw was a cold, empty room.

...Wh... what's going on... Where's the burning reactor!?

Watase threw the hose aside and looked around. A transparent cylinder stood in the center of Area N, surrounded by six towering spire-like installations. Those installations all connected to each other near the ceiling, forming a hexagram.

...What... what is this machine!?

Now that he thought about it, he didn't really know what a nuclear reactor looked like. But-- he had a feeling that what he was looking at was no nuclear reactor.

H-hold on... Come to think about it, wasn't there something like this in that data Teach showed me...!?

Watase strained his brain to remember the words he'd seen earlier.

(Let's see, the words in that search list were--)

''Case N'', ''meltdown'', ''brain dysfunction'', ''Subject N'', ''WX particle'', ''WX particle spread'', ''particle amplifier''.

This doesn't make sense...!!

He finally realized what had been the source of that uncomfortable feeling he'd gotten back then. Though ''Case N'' and ''meltdown'' had shown up on that list, terms that -should- have been there weren't. There had been not a single sign of the terms ''nuclear reactor'', ''radiation'', ''radioactive material'' or ''radiation exposure''. Instead, there were mysterious terms like ''WX particle'' and ''particle amplifier''. It was clearly strange. Watase couldn't explain it. However-- he felt the answer lied in this room.

...It's not just that there's no fire here... Could it be... That there was never a nuclear reactor here to begin with!?

Watase's shout was full of astonishment.

Wh-what's going on!? Were we tricked!? But by whom, and why!?

His confusion begot more questions. He felt like he'd heard the same words being screamed at some point in the past.

(Did the Commander lie to us!? But why would he ever do that!? No, the ones I -should- be doubting are the staff of LABO...! So does that include old man Ukita too...!?)

From what Watase had seen from how everyone had acted, it seemed the entire city believed that LABO housed a nuclear reactor. Then why did the people running LABO lie about that? What meaning was there in putting on such an elaborate ruse to fool the townspeople? Watase's head hurt again when he thought about that.

!!

It felt far worse than any of his other headaches. All his wounds and skin also began to hurt at the same time.

Agh... khh...!

To make matters worse, his body started shaking for no apparent reason.

(Wait... are these convulsions!?) Sh-poo poo...!

He frantically looked around, hoping to find an exit. But instead-- he spotted a strange object.

Something was lying on the ground further up ahead. He staggered on over to it and picked it up. It was a security card that'd been split into two. The name on the card was ''Miyoko Tenkawa''. Its security level was ''Lv. N''.

What's this doing here...!?

Just then, an unpleasant stench suddenly took hold of Watase's nose. It was a familiar stench, albeit a hundred times worse than any past experience he'd had with it... The stench of blood.

...!

A bad feeling rose in Watase's heart as he took a look behind the device.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

A boy garbed in a school uniform was lying there. His body was collapsed in a pool of spreading blood.

(Isn't that... Natsuhiko Tenkawa!?)

His name and face matched up perfectly with Watase's memory of him.

Hey! Are you okay!?

But Natsuhiko didn't respond to his calls. Watase took off his gloves and pressed his index finger against Natsuhiko's carotid artery.

(...!!)

He couldn't feel a pulse, and Natsuhiko's body was cold.

(Just do it like Tachibana and Moribe did--!)

15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. No reaction.

(Goddammit... goddammit!)

Watase desperately continued to perform CPR while fighting off his headache and convulsions. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths.

(Please... don't die!)

Soon enough, Watase felt a faint pulse--

I... I did it!

Watase pressed his hand against Natsuhiko's mouth, and felt the boy's breath. But that didn't change the fact that he had nigh-fatal wounds.

(But why's he bleeding so bad to begin with...!?)

Watase looked over Natsuhiko's body to find there were several small holes and wounds here and there behind his uniform.

...Gunshot wounds!?

The sight of them was no longer as shocking to Watase after having seen so many of them before. Just then, he noticed something lying next to Natsuhiko.

He felt the object's heavy weight pass through his arms when he picked it up. It was different from the one Ena had, but it was undoubtedly a pistol.

Was Natsuhiko attacked by the killer too...!?

Watase groaned in shock. But at that moment--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

!!

The monster looked at him and laughed. At that moment, just as an indescribable fear sent shivers down his spine——

!!

He was assaulted by an intense pain akin to his brain being crushed.

Agh, GAAAAAAAH!!

The man screamed, faced with an agony unlike anything he had ever felt before.

Th-that was...!? My head, it can't be... not you too!!

His well-toned body proved helpless in the face of that power.

(You... you damned monster!)

In spite of that, he struggled against it, attempting to complete his mission. Nevertheless--

!!!

His will broke as the overwhelming pain surged through his head once more.

Aah... aah...

He staggered backwards, clutching his head. The monster's face warped sinisterly, its gaze piercing right through him.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

If he'd stood his ground, he'd be killed. Annihilated. And so he held his throbbing head as he ran for his life.

Everything in front of him flashed as he felt an agony like that of his head exploding.

Ga... agh...!

Wha... what the hell was that...!?

It was a memory he had no recollection of. It seemed like it was a memory of just before Watase had lost his memories. And the thing that had scared Watase so much back then-- was this boy right in front of him!?

(... No way, there's no way that's true!)

Watase shook his head to dismiss that delusion.

(Anyway, I've gotta get him to a safe place...!)

Watase put the pistol in his breast pocket, then lifted Natsuhiko's body up into his arms. --But just then--

Watase felt a presence behind him.

♪ BGM: Abyss

In their hand was--

Just as Watase realized that,

the figure swung the axe down towards the crown of his head.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Battle: 09/16/2030, 14:39

♪ BGM: Abyss

Watase strafed to the side to dodge the sudden swing. He desperately put distance between him and his attacker, then confirmed their identity. Standing there was none other than--

You're--!?

It was ''Salyu'', the girl who'd run away from him twice now. A light as cold as ice shimmered in the depths of her eyes. Gripped in her hand was a burnt axe.

That axe... it's...!

But they'd left it behind in Area 4. So why did Salyu have it--!?

Salyu ignored Watase's question,

and charged straight at him again.

She was aiming for Watase's neck. He barely leaned back in time, leaving the axe to slice only through air. The weight of the weapon was throwing her around, causing her to sway forward heavily.

He immediately grabbed for Salyu. But she swung her leg up a second earlier.

Gah!?

She made use of her centrifugal force to launch a swift kick, connecting solidly with his temple. Watase's brain rattled and his vision grew dark. Despite that, he still managed to quickly thrust Salyu away.

He was greeted with a cold look on Salyu's face when his sight came back.

(Wh.. what's she doing...!?)

She attacked without the slightest hesitation using battle techniques that didn't befit a girl of her size and age--

Khh...!

Worse, Watase's headaches and convulsions were only getting stronger. It was likely he'd die for real if he fought in this condition. Watase hesitated for a moment, wondering if he should take out the pistol in his breast pocket.

(... No, what am I thinking!? I can't hurt someone else to protect myself!)

Just as he thought that-- he noticed that Salyu's body was faintly trembling. She was convulsing the same way Watase had been for a while now.

H-hey! You wouldn't happen to have a headache too, would you!?
Then get out of here right now! What good is fighting me if it means putting your body in such extreme danger!?

Salyu suddenly stopped in what appeared to be surprise.

...That line again.
Again!?
You said the same thing last time as well.
Wh... what!?

Watase's body froze with surprise and confusion.

(When was this last time!? When did this girl and I--!?)

That moment of confusion left Watase wide open.

(poo poo!)

I can't hold out next time! I'll be done for! When Watase thought that-- his body moved on its own.

Watase then lowered his body as if he was putting himself into a crouch start for a 100 meter dash. He filled his legs with strength, then released it all at once and sprung at Salyu.

!?

Her face was filled with shock. Watase tackled her with the force of a bullet a second later, hitting her right in the waist.

*cough*!

The axe slipped out of Salyu's hand as she fell on her back. Watase used his remaining momentum to straddle her.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unclear Conclusion: 09/16/2030, 14:41

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Watase came to his senses, only to realize he was pinning Salyu down.

(Wha...?)

The actions he'd taken just now had clearly been etched into him instinctively through training. But they were obviously not skills needed to save lives.

(Where did I ever pick up a skill like that..?)

Salyu glared up at him, her eyes seething like cold blue flames. Watase shook off the chills running down his spine and tried reasoning with her.

...Why did you attack me?
Please tell me! I don't have the slightest idea why!

Salyu's eyes moved just then. Her gaze was now focused on Natsuhiko.

...Wait, was it because you thought I attacked Natsuhiko? If that's what it is, then you've got it all wrong! l was about to take him to the infirmary before you attacked. I swear I wasn't going to hurt him more than he already is.

Salyu then spoke in a near inaudible voice.

...top it.
...Huh?

Watase brought his face closer to hers to hear her better.

Even I can see through your thinly veiled lies. Stop it.
Wha--!? What are you--

But Salyu moved her right hand as fast as lightning before Watase could finish.

Ugh!

She poked him in the eyes, temporarily blinding him. Watase felt Salyu slipping her body out from under him at the same time.

(Crap! I've gotta put some distance between us!)

Watase had no way of dodging any axe swings at this time.

(poo poo, poo poo, poo poo!)

Watase blindly stretched out his hands in the darkness. His left hand came into contact with something. It was the sensation of cloth- a sleeve. Watase grabbed onto it and focused solely on pulling it towards him.

Ah!

Salyu's gasp echoed through the darkness. Watase kept clutching on to her with his left hand while his right hand remained free.

(I have to defeat her right here and now!)

Watase's body, spurred on by his ever-growing fear, filled with fierce strength. He reluctantly clenched his hand into a fist so he could knock her unconscious when--

The auditory hallucination showed up again.

!!

Watase came back to his senses and opened his raised fist. He then slipped behind Salyu and locked her into a chokehold.

Salyu struggled. Watase's vision hadn't returned yet.

(Khh... I'm sorry about this!)

Watase mentally apologized to Salyu as he applied pressure to her thin neck. All while being careful not to squeeze it too hard.

Gah, ack...! --...

All the strength in her body soon faded away. Watase let out a great big sigh once he'd confirmed this-- then loosened his grip.

He could see Salyu was passed out cold in his grip.

(Th-that was too close... she really -did- want to kill me...! But... anyway, what can I do for her now...?)

His head and skin still hurt like hell. His convulsions also hadn't let up. He didn't know why, but his instincts were screaming that it was too dangerous for him to stay here too long.

I've gotta get these two out of here...!

Watase carried Natsuhiko and Salyu. --They were heavy. Watase's body truly was in poor shape if they felt that way to him. He staggered out of Area N along with Natsuhiko and Salyu.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

And when he made his way out to the connecting passageway--

He found Kazami standing there.

!
Thank God... you're all right.
Tachibana... what are you doing here...?

Watase was cautious of Kazami after what had transpired back in the surveillance room.

Well, umm... I was worried about you, so... So I checked the surveillance cameras and saw you going into Area N...! But... what in the world happened with those two!?

Kazami was looking at Natsuhiko and Salyu with shock.

Oh... you mean Natsuhiko and Salyu. They're unconscious for now.
Where did you...
I found Natsuhiko collapsed in Area N. My guess is that Salyu probably followed me in there...
Wait, he was collapsed in Area N...? But isn't that where the burning nuclear reactor is!?
No... I don't get why either, but... There was nothing like that in Area N.
--Huh!?

That revelation left Kazami speechless. But Watase had figured she'd have a hard time believing that. So he handed her his Level N card.

You'll understand better if you see it for yourself. Go ahead.

Kazami nodded dubiously, then took the card and ran towards Area N. --About thirty seconds later- Kazami came back quickly and immediately started talking.

I don't believe it... how is this even...!?

Watase nodded as he took the Level N card back from her.

Yeah... it looks like we were being duped by someone from the start.
B-but that machine... It's probably something other than a nuclear reactor...

It appeared Kazami also believed that the giant machine in Area N was no reactor. However-—

...Tachibana, let's save the explanations and discussions for later. We need to treat Natsuhiko as soon as possible before it's too late.

Kazami looked at Natsuhiko and nodded.

You're right, he's bleeding very badly...! It looks like he'll need a blood transfusion.
Then let's head on over to the infirmary. They've got blood packs and a transfusion kit there.
Roger that. Then I'll carry one of the children.
Can you do it with that leg of y--
I've recovered quite a bit. I think I can manage.

Kazami pressed against the wound in her leg and carried Salyu.

But if this facility doesn't have a nuclear reactor... then what in the world is this place...?
...I don't know. I don't have the slightest clue...!

Those words came straight from the bottom of Watase's heart.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We... did it? :confuoot:

I was going to post :f5: but each time I refreshed you actually had posted again. :v: Your allowance for multiple updates, at the speed you do, is commendable.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

So Mr. Mysterious Auditory Hallucination is Natsuhiko, right? We didn't hear any more of him in the timeline where Natsuhiko died at any rate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

So Mr. Mysterious Auditory Hallucination is Natsuhiko, right? We didn't hear any more of him in the timeline where Natsuhiko died at any rate.

Basically... yes. I don't think it's been outright confirmed, but had you been hearing the voices, I think you would have basically had all but that outright confirmation when you heard Natsuhiko's voice for the first time in the flashback during Recollect. I don't think this is supposed to be a major surprise anymore, so I'll just give you the confirmation.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheMcD posted:

Basically... yes. I don't think it's been outright confirmed, but had you been hearing the voices, I think you would have basically had all but that outright confirmation when you heard Natsuhiko's voice for the first time in the flashback during Recollect. I don't think this is supposed to be a major surprise anymore, so I'll just give you the confirmation.

And the one who put those bullets in Natshuiko was Old-Watase. So he's been piggy backing on New-Watase to what? Stop him from being evil? I guess that means the whole instigator of this poo poo was Old-Watase and the two other Sirius guys who were with him.

It was us. We were the terrorists.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Wait, if Natsuhiko's BCusing Watase, and he and Salyu are buds, why doesn't he just BCtell Salyu to stop trying to axe murder Watase?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I should amend my statement in case it wasn't entirely clear - the voices that you hear from Natsuhiko in that flashback scene and the voice that is BCing Watase sound incredibly similar, and it seems pretty clear that it's Natsuhiko.

However, if you ascribe to a clone theory like some of you do, it would also be possible that it's a clone Natsuhiko. Furthermore, it might be within the possibilities of BC to fake the voice that you send.

But for all we know right now, it's basically confirmed that Natsuhiko is the auditory hallucination.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Wait, if Natsuhiko's BCusing Watase, and he and Salyu are buds, why doesn't he just BCtell Salyu to stop trying to axe murder Watase?

Because Nat is the BC user, with Sal being the type 4 normie wait that doesn't work BC is one way communication. Even if you couldn't use it you'd hear it. Or maybe you wouldn't, the only (probable) BC use we saw before was Kazami's mysterious conversation, and she's a Type S like Nat.

Gridlocked posted:

And the one who put those bullets in Natshuiko was Old-Watase. So he's been piggy backing on New-Watase to what? Stop him from being evil? I guess that means the whole instigator of this poo poo was Old-Watase and the two other Sirius guys who were with him.

It was us. We were the terrorists.

I'm no expert on ESP, but Nat was surprisingly cogent for someone on his last legs before Watase got there. Also, very unwilling to let the nice guy who he's inside the head of go to his body's location and hopefully help him. And Mashiro's still MIA, as are two 'commissioners', so don't go pointing fingers as to who's piggy-backing or shooting who.

TheMcD posted:

I should amend my statement in case it wasn't entirely clear - the voices that you hear from Natsuhiko in that flashback scene and the voice that is BCing Watase sound incredibly similar, and it seems pretty clear that it's Natsuhiko.

However, if you ascribe to a clone theory like some of you do, it would also be possible that it's a clone Natsuhiko. Furthermore, it might be within the possibilities of BC to fake the voice that you send.

But for all we know right now, it's basically confirmed that Natsuhiko is the auditory hallucination.

For the reasons outlined above, I'm not buying the Nat theory. The clone theory is off the table (why the distinction between natural Type S and artificial if they're all clones? Why did they let A stay dead? Why did they need to kidnap Nagisa and let people think she was dead?) so, of the options outlined above, the Idea that someone faked their voice (or just sounds the same) is the soundest. Mashiro was a Type B, maybe this is something B's can do.This would require him to be gravely uninformed of the truth behind the facility, but maybe Nat (been here, done that before) and Sal (regaining her memories?) dumped him somewhere and he's just trying his best to help.

I'm just saying, don't fall into your preconceived notions. I wouldn't have believed for a second Ena was willing to risk death for us before.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

First aid: 09/16/2030, 14:44

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

All the emergency staircases in Area 5 were out of commission, so they decided to get to the infirmary through Area 4.

...Captain, be careful on the way there.
Why, did something happen?
Actually, Moribe and Mr. Ukita ran out of the surveillance room before I went to Area N-- The two of them do not seem to be in their right minds.
Not in their right minds...?
I am not sure how to explain it... but at any rate, it would be dangerous for you to come across either of them.

He didn't know the details, but the tone in Kazami's voice and the look on her face were enough to convince Watase.

...All right. Then I'll be on my guard from now on.

Watase and Kazami carefully made their way down the connecting passageway.

They then laid the children down on the beds and began treating Natsuhiko immediately. Kazami used the scanner there to check Natsuhiko's bloodtype.

...Got it. Type O, Rh positive. No acute reactions.

She then took the Type O blood pack out of the refrigerator and quickly set it into the transfusion kit. Finally, she pricked Natsuhiko with the needle, starting the transfusion. While all that was going on, Watase used all the Chiron he had on hand to seal up Natsuhiko's wounds as much as possible.

...How's his condition? Think he can pull through?
His respiration and pulse are extremely feeble. But his vital signs are just barely stable-- I can't make any guesses as to how it'll turn out in the end, but I think he'll just pull through if we keep the transfusion going.

Immense relief washed over Watase.

Thank God...
But this is still strictly first-aid treatment. I believe we should get him to a hospital as soon as possible. But before we get into that, please tell me something. What in the world happened after you left the surveillance room?
You see...

Kazami stared at Watase with a stern look on her face as the latter recounted the series of events that'd lead him to this point. He started by telling her about how he'd gone to Area N all by himself to try to put out the fires in order to end the lockdown. He then talked about how there had been no fires there, to say the least of a melted down nuclear reactor. Finally, he mentioned how he found Natsuhiko, was attacked by Salyu right afterwards, and then reluctantly knocked her unconscious.

So that's what happened...

Kazami lowered her eyes to the floor as she pondered what Watase had told her.

...There are just so many unanswered questions this raises that I admit I'm having trouble figuring out where to start, but... First of all... What do you think about LABO, Captain?
What do you mean?
There was no nuclear reactor or fire in Area N. Yet the lockdown is still going on... Is there any reason you can think of as to why that is?
Mmm... honestly, I have no clue... But I'm convinced now that the fact there's no nuclear reactor here means that this place isn't even a nuclear research facility to begin with...
I agree. But that raises another question: that means there's no radiation here... Yet we still got numb skin and headaches when we didn't take any AD.
Yeah. What's more, I still got headaches, vomited, and even passed out when I went into contaminated zones. ...So that means there's still something dangerous contaminating this place.
Then if that machine in Area N wasn't a nuclear reactor... what in the world was it?

Just as Kazami said that-- a fragmented memory flashed through Watase's brain.

...? Wait a minute... I think I've seen that machine somewhere before...!
What? Was it before you lost your memories?
No... it was more recently. Just a few hours ago. I'm pretty sure it was--

But before Watase could remember, the door to the infirmary suddenly opened.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Murderous Design: 09/16/2030, 14:47

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Watase and Kazami turned around in shock to find Ukita standing there.

Well well, if it isn't Captain Kasasagi and Lieutenant Tachibana. I thought I heard noises coming from here. What might you two be up to?
(Wh-what...?)

Ukita's eyes were glazed over with instability. His gaze locked onto the two survivors resting in their respective beds.

Natsuhiko!? And Louise!? Dear Lord... How'd they get hurt so badly!? And where have they been this whole time...!?

Watase carefully chose his words as he answered.

You see... I took the two of them into custody in Area N after I went there to try and put the fires out.
Did you just say... putting out the fires in Area N? I see... now I finally understand...! I knew it! You really are a traitor, through and through!
O-old man...?

He didn't understand why Ukita was angry. But Ukita ignored the bewilderment on Watase's face and continued talking in a subdued voice.

Captain Kasasagi... I know you'll have trouble believing this, but I did trust you. I truly believed you to be a man of justice... That's why I risked my life in my own way to save those girls. But then you...! You'll pay for this...!

Ukita grunted and reached into his breast pocket. He then pulled out-- a pistol.

!?

It was the same pistol that Ena had given him. The one whose bullets and magazine had been removed and given to Jun and Ena for safekeeping, leaving Ukita with the gun itself. It should have been unloaded--

Is this your idea of a bluff!? That thing's no better than a toy without a magazine, you know!?
A bluff? Oh, so I guess you didn't know, did you? You can still fire a gun without a magazine so long as you have bullets. Granted, you do have to load and fire them one at a time.
Where in the hell did you get bullets...!?
Where indeed.

Ukita's attitude made it clear that he apparently wasn't bluffing.

...Go ahead and laugh. I know it's fragile justice. But it's my choice. If killing you means it'll put an end to all of this, then I'll do what I must. Even if it means staining my hands in sin for the first and last time in my life...!

--Ukita's words made no sense. His face was clearly brimming with insanity.

M-Mr. Ukita...!
Wait, listen to me before you fire that thing! Maybe you didn't know this, but there is no nuclear reactor in Area N! So there was no need for us to be afraid of any radiation from the very beginning!

If it was Ukita's fear of radiation that had caused him to fall so far off the beaten track, then hearing that would likely bring him back to his senses. However--

You... You're still uttering such nonsense at this point...?
Believe me! It's the truth!
Well, it matters not. Either way-- --Your 'mission' ends here!
!?
Die, traitor!

Ukita pulled the trigger. Watase froze in terror. --But right then...

Ukita's bullet bore a hole in the wall behind Watase.

Watase pulled his pistol out as Kazami grappled with Ukita.

Wha-!?

Ukita frantically turned around when he caught sight of the gun pointed straight at him. Watase had a chance to shoot him in the back right there-- but he couldn't pull the trigger. He didn't even know if there were any bullets left in that pistol. Ukita ran right out of the door and out of sight. The only trace of him left was his shouts coming from the hallway.

But I -will— ensure that you get your just deserts! Mark my words!

The sound of Ukita's footsteps disappeared in the direction of Area 4.

Dammit! What the hell's gotten into him!?

There were some things suspicious about Watase, no question about it, but Ukita was taking things way too far. He then suddenly realized that Kazami was staring at the gun in his hands.

Oh, right, forgot to mention. I found this lying next to Natsuhiko in Area N.
O-oh, I see...

It seemed she was scared of the pistol. Watase quickly put it back into his breast pocket and changed the subject.

Anyway, we need to get out of here as quickly as possible. Now that the old man knows we're here, this place is no longer safe.

Natsuhiko's transfusion was still in progress, and Salyu hadn't shown any signs of regaining consciousness. Their lives would be in danger if another fight broke out in the infirmary.

...And Teach is in trouble too.
You mean Ms. Tsubakiyama? Now that I think about it, where is she?
I left her in an office in Area 2. It wouldn't be surprising if the old man attacked her too, given the way he was acting just now.
...Understood. Then let us rendezvous with Ms. Tsubakiyama while we continue Tenkawa's transfusion.

Kazami attached the blood pack and transfusion kit to Natsuhiko's body. Watase then carried him, with Kazami doing the same for Salyu, as they all left the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Insanity: 09/16/2030, 14:49

The door had been totally destroyed.

Wha... what in the hell!?
...!?

There was now a giant hole in the door, one big enough for a human to fit through. Now the destruction of the door opening mechanism meant nothing at all.

Teach!

Watase and Kazami frantically climbed through the hole.

Perhaps Ena had regained consciousness and escaped on her own. Watase was glad that she was apparently okay, but--

Who the hell did this...!? How'd they even break the door in the first place!?
... I have a bad feeling about this... Let's get out of here! We need to find a safe place!
R-right!

Watase and Kazami ran out of the room without a moment's delay. They then neared the connecting passageway to Area 1 when--

...You hear that?

Watase held his breath, then peeked into the passageway from a nearby corner.

(Moribe!?)

Jun was about 10 m away, wielding the engine cutter. She muttered something as blood poured down from her head.

Where the hell... is that bastard...!? I see... so that really was it all along... Then... I have no choice... I gotta do it or I can't protect anyone... I gotta kill that son of a bitch... I gotta bite the bullet and go through with it...!

Jun talked to thin air as if she were chanting a curse. Watase trembled with fear when he heard her.

(... Am -I- that ''son of a bitch''..!? Moribe doubted me. So if those doubts just kept on escalating...!)

It was strange no matter how he thought about it, but with Ukita's attempt on his life still fresh in his mind, that was the only possibility he could come up with. Watase turned around and whispered into Kazami's ear.

Khh... Then we have no choice. Let's fall back for the time being.
...You okay with that? I mean, Moribe's like a sister to you...
I don't want to, but any attempts at persuading her otherwise will most likely be futile with her in that state...!

So, we have a yellow branch asking us about Jun. Of course, we have her at 8. Is this going to be a bad idea? Well, I guess we're going to find out, but we're going to trust her like good buddies do.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Persuasion

Kazami's pained statement was absolutely correct. But Watase couldn't accept that.

(... Moribe and I are buddies... Even though she doubts me and thinks I've betrayed her trust... There's no way in hell I could let myself run away from her!)

Watase steeled himself and turned to Kazami.

Tachibana... take care of those kids.
!? What are you thinking!?
I'm gonna bet all or nothing on persuading her! Don't follow me, you hear!?

Watase left Natsuhiko in Kazami's capable hands-- And leapt out from the shadow of the passageway.

!!

Jun's body shook with a start. She gripped the engine cutter firmly and stared at Watase.

...Captain.
Moribe, what do you think you're doing with that thing?
What, you ask...? You're asking me that...?
...! Moribe... were you the one who broke the door to that office?

Watase took her silence as a ''yes''. He could tell that a look of sorrow was forming on his face.

(... Goddammit.)

The Jun who was prowling the facility while muttering curses and wielding a tool of destruction-- she seemed like a totally different person from the Jun he knew. The Jun who kept on running around and doing her best in spite of her small stature. The Jun who plunged right into the contaminated zone alongside him without any concern for her own safety. The Jun who chose this line of work in order to save people in spite of the wounds she carried on her heart and back from Nagisa's death--

(So why...!?) Why the hell... do you need to carry that thing around!?

Jun gave Watase a sad smile after she heard his shouts.

...You see, Captain, it just hit me all of a sudden. You can't protect everyone in this screwed-up place without getting your hands dirty. So I'll...!
Stop it! That's not the right way!

Watase walked up to Jun. Her face froze over at that action.

Captain! Stay back! I don't trust you either! I won't be able to stop myself if you get any closer!

Resolution filled Jun's eyes. Watase was just 5 m away from her. Watase took another step forward. Just then, Kazami shouted from behind.

Captain, it's too dangerous! Fall back!

Watase then slipped right past the engine cutter-- Then leapt at Jun.

--!!

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Jun gasped. Watase embraced her.

H... huh?
What's wrong? Aren't you going to kill me...? I'd be fine with it if you were the one who ended up killing me.
...!

Jun's body froze right up.

Are vou being serious...?
Half—serious, yeah. But-- But I believe that you're not that kind of woman.
You believe in me? On what grounds? You don't know a thing about me.
Yes I do. You're my buddy-- my partner who's always got my back. I trust you even if you don't trust me. That won't change.

Just then-- Jun breathed a silent breath.

I see... So that's how it is, huh? So you're my buddy no matter how much I doubt you, huh...

The edge in Jun's voice had vanished. Watase carefully chose his words as he spoke.

...If you truly believe that... then please stop before you do something you'll regret. You're a rescue worker, right? Isn't it your job to save people?
Yeah... ...That's why I...

...can't do what you say!
!!

Watase's eyes widened just as Jun pushed him away from her.

Ghh!!

Watase was taken by surprise and fell to the floor.

(poo poo! Is she really gonna kill me!?)

Watase looked up in shock. But Jun's next attack never came. She just took a step back and looked at Watase.

But that's exactly why I've gotta do this.
Huh...?
...It's okay if you don't understand. You and the Lieutenant better get going now. I don't want to talk about this, you know...

Those words shook the foundation of Watase's beliefs. She talked like Watase wasn't her target.

Mo... Moribe!? Just what are you after!?
...I can't tell you. You're the one person I don't want knowing about what I'm about to do.
...!?
But I'll just say this: ...You and I are no longer buddies.

Jun then turned around and broke off into a run down the connecting passageway.

M-Moribe, wait! Please tell me what you're doing--!

—-and disappeared behind the security gate. Watase soon heard the sound of Kazami running up to him.

Watase didn't answer her. He just stared at the shut security gate.

Wha... what the hell just happened...!?
...I don't know. However... She's gone back to the way she was just a few minutes ago. I never dreamed she would ever act this way...!

Lament filled Kazami's face. Watase wrapped his arms around her shoulders and spoke.

I'm sorry... I totally failed to persuade her. Old man Ukita might have heard the ruckus and be on his way over now... We need to get away from here for now.
Yes...

--Watase and Kazami carried Natsuhiko and Salyu on their backs again and ran down the passageway. They looked around for a place to hide without stopping. They fled into the Area 3 connecting passageway and closed the gate before Kazami chose to speak up in a frightened voice.

But... where do you think we should run? Is there even a single safe place in this facility...’?

While they didn't know what Jun's motive was, they couldn't let their guard down so long as she had her engine cutter. If her target happened to be Natsuhiko or Salyu-- then they'd be screwed no matter what room they hid in. She'd just break down the door.

...But if we keep running around with these kids on our backs, we're gonna get caught eventually...!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Insanity: 09/16/2030, 14:49 - Part 2

There were just 15 minutes left until the AD wore off. There was no doubt that everyone underground would be severely injured once that time came. --A heavy silence hung in the air. Kazami soon shattered it with a sad voice.

...Why did things turn out this way...!? We're being chased by our squadmate and people we swore to rescue... and we have no place to run...! We can't save anyone... not even ourselves...!

That was the first time Watase had heard her sound so hopeless. So much so that it nearly broke his heart just listening to her.

(Goddammit... So there's nothing we can do...!? Would it be better just to give it all up...!?)

But just as Watase thought this-- An image flashed through his brain.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

???: Watase! You can't give up! You have to keep fighting on and on until the bitter end-- If you wanna die, you can do that later!

Watase gasped.

(What was that...?)

Watase had no idea. It appeared to be one of his old memories-- a scene from his now forgotten past. Those words were nostalgic, sad, and comforting. They gave Watase the strength he needed.

Tachibana... don't give up.

Watase relayed those words to Kazami.

We're still alive... and there's still people we need to save. So fight on until the bitter end... If you wanna give up, you can do that later.

Those words brought the silence between them back. All Watase could hear was the sound of Kazami breathing. But when they exited the connecting passageway... Kazami quietly spoke up.

... Yes.

Her voice was brimming with the will of someone determined to escape from this despair.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Aww yeah live updates baby.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

But I'll just say this: ...You and I are no longer buddies.

You don't mean that Jun! You can't mean that! I refuse to believe it!

TheMcD posted:

Natsuhiko!? And Louise!? Dear Lord... How'd they get hurt so badly!? And where have they been this whole time...!?

Did you just say... putting out the fires in Area N? I see... now I finally understand...! I knew it! You really are a traitor, through and through!

Captain Kasasagi... I know you'll have trouble believing this, but I did trust you. I truly believed you to be a man of justice... That's why I risked my life in my own way to save those girls. But then you...! You'll pay for this...!

...Go ahead and laugh. I know it's fragile justice. But it's my choice. If killing you means it'll put an end to all of this, then I'll do what I must. Even if it means staining my hands in sin for the first and last time in my life...!

So, judging from this, Ukita knew Nat and Louise (though Nat is the son of a co-worker and Louise was a test subject) and colluded with Watase to save the subjects, which included attempting to start fires in Area N, before Watase did something. Ukita is unstable, but even I cannot maintain a high Sense of Watase for much longer.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Jun... you're breaking my heart. :smith:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Great Escape: 09/16/2030, 14:52

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Watase said that to Kazami as they entered Area 3.

If there's nowhere safe in the facility, then getting outside's our only shot. However, we can't try to end the lockdown by putting the fires out in Area N, naturally. We'll have to find another way.
Yes...! But is there a way out somewhere else?
Moribe and I searched high and low for one before you woke up. I'm sure the Commander and the other rescue workers outside did the same. ...But when you consider that there are no signs that they've broken their way in... our odds don't look very good.
...Good point.

Watase had also looked for alternate escape routes after they'd found that escape via the cargo lift was impossible. But then other problems had taken over while he'd tried (and failed) to do that. And now they were--

...!?

Watase suddenly remembered something at that moment.

Wait, that's right...!
!? Have you remembered something!?

Watase nodded and looked Kazami in the eye.

The pipes. Did you notice that thick pipe near the ceiling when we went to the engine room?
Y -yes...

The old man told me that it's an intake pipe used to take water from the nearby lake to use as a coolant for the nuclear reactor. He also said that there was constantly water running through the pipe, so it'd leak out and flood LABO if we ever broke a hole in there-- But since there's no nuclear reactor, doesn't that cast doubt on the pipe's true purpose?
...!
If that's just a dummy, and we can escape through there...!
You're right... but I don't think it's a dummy. Perhaps it acts as the coolant for that giant machine? If that's the case, then that means there's still a risk that LABO will flood if we break a hole in that pipe.
I see... Dammit, if only we had a way to turn off the flow of water.
We may be able to come up with a plan if we figure out what that machine truly is...!

Once she said that-- Watase's eyes widened.

Hold on... that machine, it's...!?
Huh?
I-I just remembered where I've seen that machine before!
Where!?
The engine room! There was a list of machine manuals in the terminal in that room-- And there was a picture of that giant machine on the very first page!
!! You're right!
Maybe there's a way to turn off the water written in that very manual!
C-Captain! Let's go check it out right away!

Watase nodded and headed for the engine room.

Watase and Kazami laid Natsuhiko and Salyu onto the floor, ran up to the terminal, and began fiddling with it.

'WX Particle Amplifier Operation Manual'... this is it!

Watase and Kazami brought their shoulders together as they looked over the image on the monitor.

Tachibana, do you have any idea what this thing's talking about?
No... I've never even heard of WX particles before. Though I can assume that they're similar to radiation in that they're both capable of having harmful effects to the body...

Watase felt the same. But now wasn't the time to be thinking about that.

I don't see anything in here about coolant...

Watase read through the manual until a certain passage caught his eye.

Tips posted:

TIP: Lake Rokumei
Category: Fiction

A wide lake on the southeastern side of Rokumei City. In addition to being used for Rokumei City's water services, agriculture irrigation, and industrial water source, it is also used as a coolant for the heavy machinery in LABO's Area N. The water brought into LABO through the intake pipe heats up around 25 degrees Celsius before being expelled through the drainage pipe back into Lake Rokumei. Though the water is over 50 degrees at the time of drainage, Lake Rokumei is an acidotrophic lake with a low pH, and thus does not have much wildlife to begin with, so the hot water has negligible effect on the ecosystem.

... This is it...!

Watase muttered that in a low voice as he looked at it.

So this really is our only way out!

He looked up at the ceiling to find the ''intake pipe'' and ''drainage pipe'' running side by side. There was a ladder next to the pipes that led right up to them. Watase strained his ears and heard the sound of water running. He could also see a large machine located below the intake pipe: it was apparently the ''filtering mechanism''.

If we damage-- no, destroy the filtering mechanism, then that'll stop the water from running. Then we can escape to Lake Rokumei through the pipe!
You're right...! But what do you plan on doing after you've stopped the water from running?
Huh?
According to this diagram, the 'intake pipe' is located under Lake Rokumei's water level. Meaning LABO will still be flooded if you open a hole in it, running water or not.
So that means opening a hole in the drainage pipe instead is probably our only shot... If we stop the water and then open a hole on -top- of the pipe, then that means not much water should leak out of it.
However, the drainage pipe is filled with all that heated water from that amplifier. So if it really is 53 degrees Celsius, you won't last in there.
...!
We could always open a hole on the bottom of the drainage pipe and drain all the water out of it that way, but...
...Yeah, too dangerous. We don't know how much water will come pouring out of that thing. So in the slight chance that we get floods after floods of water coming out... then there's a possibility everyone still here will drown. That means Yuuri, Moribe, the old man... and all the other survivors.
...We can't risk everything on an all or nothing bet.
Which means we really should just open a hole on top of the drainage pipe.
Then that means we have three problems that we have to solve first-- #1: How do we open a hole in the pipe? #2: How do we ensure that we can breathe inside the flooded pipe? #3: How do we walk through 500 m of 53 degree Celsius water from here to Lake Rokumei...?!
Let's think of a way. If we solve those problems, we're home free!
Yes!

Watase and Kazami looked at each other and started thinking.

Let's figure out how to open a hole in the pipe first. If we could somehow take the engine cutter from Moribe...
No, out of the question. We have an alternative to that anyway.
Huh?
Hiyama's axe. It's lying in Area N right now. If the pipe's just 2.4 cm thick, then I shouldn't have any trouble opening up a hole in that thing with a little elbow grease.
...You think you can do it?
Just who do you think I am?

Kazami grinned when she saw Watase trying to act tough.

... I trust you!
All right! Then next step! How do we keep breathing through the flooded pipe!?
I have an idea about that.
What is it?
There's an air tank in the makeshift base. It has enough air in it to last about 20 minutes. I cannot say for certain that it's enough to get through 500 m of water... but it's our only chance.
But I thought we couldn't use the air tank because the suit's faceplate is broken?
It'll be all right. You'll be fine so long as you grab on to the hose sticking out of the tank and put it directly in your mouth. We don't do that during firefighting dispatches because it leaves you with only one free hand and doesn't allow you to talk. So I never suggested it up until now, but--
If all I'm doing is walking through the water, then it might turn out okay, huh...

It was a very risky plan, but one they had to bet on. Their plan was looking more and more feasible with each problem they tackled. But for all their efforts-- the true problem still remained.

...Okay then, let's move on to the last problem. '#3: How to withstand 53 degrees Celsius water...!'

Kazami nodded and answered.

The first thing you should know is that '53 degree Celsius air' is not the same thing as '53 degree Celsius water'. Since sweat cannot evaporate to cool the skin underwater, hot water does far more damage to the body than hot air. You've never been in a 53 degree Celsius bath, right? That's because your body could never withstand water of that temperature.
Hmm...
So... should we wait for the water to cool down after we stop it from running?
That'd be the best way, but it'd probably take too much time... A 2.4 cm pipe's gotta be a lot like a thermos, right?
Indeed...
...What if we tried running it once we've confirmed the water temperature's gone down a little and risk a burn?
Even if we could withstand it, the survivors-- especially Tenkawa—- are badly wounded. I do not believe they'd last.
I see... taking Natsuhiko with us out of here is already difficult enough as it is anyway, isn't it?
But if just one of us manages to escape, they can contact the Commander and the others and have them help us... Or they could even call the police. Then they'd be able to restrain Mr. Ukita and Moribe.
...So then what you're saying is... We need to find a way so that at least one of us can endure the water temperature and escape, huh...?

Watase thought carefully about everything he'd been through up until this point. He mobilized all the excessive knowledge he'd gained in the last five hours.

(Think... is there anything in this facility right now that can withstand heat?)

He and Kazami were wearing firefighting suits. They had fire resistant properties, but they probably wouldn't be any use against hot water. What's more, there were cuts in them all over their sleeves and neck area, so water would just get in from there.

(Then is there anything we can use to completely seal the damaged spots...?)

But even if they could, their faces were still completely exposed, so it was probably impossible to make the whole thing airtight.

(C'mon, don't give up! Think! There's just gotta be a way!)

He remembered everything he'd seen up until this point. First, there was the gear he'd observed in the makeshift base: the air tank, air jack, AD, Procyon, and engine cutter. Next was the things he had on him: his PDA and security card. Both were useless here. Finally, there was what they'd found in the facility: the transfusion packs, transfusion kit, oxygen tank, Chiron, distilled water, the pistol-- all of them useless!

(Did I see anything else!? The answer has to be there! I know it!)

He look back on the path he'd taken to reach this point. He'd woken up, met Kazami and Jun, then saved Yuuri. They'd geared up at the makeshift base, met Ena and Ukita, then began their search after seeing the images of Natsuhiko and the others. They'd discovered their coworker's body, but still continued the search regardless, then turned on the sprinkler system and put out the fires--

Aah...!

Watase gasped. He remembered something Kazami had said.

Incidentally, we also had two 'radiation protection suits'... But they got damaged while we were putting out fires, so we can't use them anymore. They were fine pieces of equipment with excellent fire and water resistance, airtight, and even allowed you to connect an air tank directly to their facepieces--

Kazami had told him that as she'd been pointing to the ruined protection suits. Their faceplates had been cracked.

...!

A body whose lower half had been burned, wearing a—-!

Those two memories held the answer he needed.

I... I got it.
Huh?
I figured out a way to get through the hot water!
Wh-what is it!?
The protection suits... They finally proved useful at the very end.

Kazami had said that the protection suits were airtight and had high water resistance. So if he wore one of them, hot water wouldn't leak in. That would turn the ''53 degree Celsius water'' into ''53 degree Celsius air''--a temperature he could withstand!

But our protection suits have already been damaged...!
Don't worry. I already have a backup plan for that.
What backup plan?
I need to go gather the things we'll need to escape right now. Could you stay with these kids and wait here?
...!

Hesitation filled Kazami's eyes. It was indeed dangerous to go off on one's own in the facility now that Ukita and Jun were prowling it. However--

I know you're worried, but one person moving around will stick out less than two. Please don't try it.

Watase said that and stepped on the ladder.

I'll be right back as soon as I get all the gear.
A... all right! Be careful!

Watase nodded and descended the ladder as fast as he could. --He then headed for the makeshift base in Area 2.

(This won't be enough to get us out of here...)

Watase took off the cracked faceplate, threw it aside, then ran out of the base.

(... All the protection suits I've seen so far have been damaged in some way. Tachibana and Moribe's have broken faceplates, Dojima's was all battered up, and the lower half of Hiyama's completely burned up... But-- if I combine them together--!)

Watase ran into the elevator hall with that thought in mind.

Sorry about this, Hiyama...

Watase apologized to Hiyama and then-- ripped his faceplate off.

He had the axe, an air tank, a perfectly intact faceplate, and an undamaged protection suit. Watase carried them all and went off running again. He headed towards the engine room, where Kazami and the kids were waiting for him.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 12, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Last Choice: 09/16/2030, 15:00

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

Kazami ran over to him as soon as he returned to the engine room.

I took the undamaged parts of multiple suits and combined them to get this.
! I never thought of that...!

Kazami said that with admiration in her voice. Watase nodded, then continued.

...Now we can finally get out of here.
Yes...!

Kazami nodded, then pointed to the pipe near the ceiling.

...According to the blueprint, the pipe further in is apparently the drainage pipe. If you break the intake pipe by mistake, then all of LABO will be flooded. Please be careful.
Got it... I won't make a mistake like that after coming so far. I'll go break the filtering mechanism first. Just hold on a minute.

He then swung down on the control board with all his might. After hitting it several times, the quiet sound of running water finally stopped.

I did it!
Now we can enter the pipe...!

Watase nodded and turned to Kazami.

Okay then... time for the last choice. There's only one protection suit. Who do you think should go: me or you? Mind you, whoever stays here will still be exposed to that WX particle stuff anyway...

Kazami hesitated for a moment before answering.

I think I should go.
Why?
Because going into the pipe is more dangerous than staying here. It's still a 500 m walk through heated water...! And we have no guarantee that the air tank will hold out the whole way... I can't let you face such danger.

Kazami stared right at him. Watase gave a faint smile.

...I thought you'd say that. But you know, it can't be that way.
Huh?
Your leg's hurt, remember? You think you can walk through 500 m of such a cramped pipe with that leg?
No, it's only a scratch... I made it this far carrying Ms. Sannomiya, did I not?
But you were lagging behind a little bit. That lowers your chances of survival.
...!
Whoever goes into the pipe will bear the weight of all the lives remaining in this facility. In that case, we should gamble on slightly higher chances of success, right? So that's why-- I'll be the one to go into the pipe.

Watase said that in a clear voice.

...This is an order. I will not allow any objections.
Captain... ... ...I object.
Whoa now, what're you talking about? This isn't like you.
But...
At first, I was a hopeless weakling who had to keep getting saved by you. I've always wanted you to accept me. So now that we're at the very end, let me show off for once.

Kazami looked at the floor silently--

... All right.

And then finally gave him a resigned nod. Watase felt a wave of confidence wash over him.

All right then, now let's get ready to break a hole in the pipe! Help me put on the protection suit.
Yes!

Watase put the protection suit on. Kazami set the air tank in the face plate. Watase then carried the faceplate and air tank under his right arm while holding the axe with his left hand, then turned to Kazami.

...Okay, I'm all set. I'll call for help as soon as I get out of here. I admit I'm scared about leaving you and the others behind... but please wait for me.

Kazami looked straight into Watase's eyes.

...I'll be waiting for you.

Her eyes were brimming with a tinge of sadness. Watase smiled back at her, then put the faceplate on.

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

This is also a really good track. I recommend listening to it for this segment.

And with that shout, he began climbing the ladder.

He then swung it down onto the pipe with all his might. Sparks flew as he created a small hole in the pipe. The pipe was as solid as a rock, so it was only natural that one strike wasn't enough to open up a hole big enough for someone to fit through.

--UWOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Watase let out a roar and kept striking the pipe over and over again. He put all of his strength into each swing. Filling them with his will to escape from this place. The hole kept on getting bigger and bigger. Steam gushed out of the pipe, and some of the hot water poured out. But it was only a little. He really had stopped the water from running. He then kept on swinging away-- until the axe's blade had finally smashed.

Khh!

But he'd already done enough. He'd opened up a hole big enough for him to climb into.

... All right!

Watase looked down the ladder. Kazami was looking up at him with a worried look on her face.

Tachibana, I've opened up a hole in the pipe! I'm going now! Take care of those kids for me!

Kazami soon answered him.

--Captain! Please be sure to come back, okay?!
...Yeah!

Watase nodded, then climbed into the hole. He was now in the only way out of this facility. The pipe was filled with hot water.

Watase could feel the heat through his protection suit. If he could walk 500 m through this thing, he'd end up at Lake Rokumei.

(... Here I go.)

--Watase steeled himself... Then began his lonely trek through the darkness to save everyone.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 28, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So my grip on heat is pretty weak. 53 C is about 106 F right? Putting aside heat injuries that don't include burns, does anyone know what kind of trauma in what timeframe we are looking at for full body immersion in that water?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So my grip on heat is pretty weak. 53 C is about 106 F right? Putting aside heat injuries that don't include burns, does anyone know what kind of trauma in what timeframe we are looking at for full body immersion in that water?

Actually it's about 127 F, so that's pretty rough for air temperatures alone.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

Actually it's about 127 F, so that's pretty rough for air temperatures alone.

Oh, that's significantly more. Based on that, I found this paper which includes a time to scald chart from the American Burn Association. Three minutes of exposure at 52 C (per the chart) for a 3rd degree burn. Yikes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

He and Kazami were wearing firefighting suits. They had fire resistant properties, but they probably wouldn't be any use against hot water. He and Kazami were wearing firefighting suits. They had fire resistant properties, but they probably wouldn't be any use against hot water.
But are they wearing firefighting suits that probably wouldn't be any use against hot water? But are they wearing firefighting suits that probably wouldn't be any use against hot water? :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Haifisch posted:

But are they wearing firefighting suits that probably wouldn't be any use against hot water? But are they wearing firefighting suits that probably wouldn't be any use against hot water? :v:

You saw nothing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The Brave Decision is pretty drat great every time it comes up.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh, that's significantly more. Based on that, I found this paper which includes a time to scald chart from the American Burn Association. Three minutes of exposure at 52 C (per the chart) for a 3rd degree burn. Yikes.

Not to mention that's not in any way a short walk underwater.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Make sure you watch that credits video to the end, everyone.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ahh so what they thought was radiation being detected on their tablets was actually these WX particles.

Particles that were vaguely mentioned in Ena's found research notes on :psyduck: research!

Also loving lol 28 degree Celsius LAKE? I live in tropical Queensland, Australia where it gets up to the mid 30's on a bad day in summer and the water in the lakes and/or open air swimming pools doesn't heat up to 28 degrees.

The gently caress is wrong with future-Japan's ecosystem that a lakes ambient temperature in their Autumn is 28 degrees.

whitehelm posted:

Make sure you watch that credits video to the end, everyone.

But it's 5min of credits T_T

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 13, 2016

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

But it's 5min of credits T_T

Basically, at the very end we hear some water bubbling noises (think scuba diver breathing out) and Watase, who's presumably still in the water since it has a radio-esque filter on his voice, says "What is this? The hell is going on?" (paraphrased).

EDIT: It occurs to me that I may have worded this poorly, so to cover my bases I do NOT believe that LABO has a squad of Scuba Soldiers patrolling the lake, the breathing is just Watase.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 13, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

Ahh so what they thought was radiation being detected on their tablets was actually these WX particles.

Finally, I was right about something. :unsmith:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Gridlocked posted:

Particles that were vaguely mentioned in Ena's found research notes on :psyduck: research!

Also loving lol 28 degree Celsius LAKE? I live in tropical Queensland, Australia where it gets up to the mid 30's on a bad day in summer and the water in the lakes and/or open air swimming pools doesn't heat up to 28 degrees.

The gently caress is wrong with future-Japan's ecosystem that a lakes ambient temperature in their Autumn is 28 degrees.

It's because the 50 degrees Celsius water (after the water is done cooling... whatever it's cooling) is being pumped back into the lake.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's because the 50 degrees Celsius water (after the water is done cooling... whatever it's cooling) is being pumped back into the lake.

But a natural open air lake is not a loss-less system :v:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh... now I look at that diagram, there's probably a giant rear end pump in the way of the drainage pipe. So much for your brilliant plan Watase.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

OddHaberdasher posted:

Basically, at the very end we hear some water bubbling noises (think scuba diver breathing out) and Watase, who's presumably still in the water since it has a radio-esque filter on his voice, says "What is this? The hell is going on?" (paraphrased).

Let me guess: The Apocalyse happened while they were inside.

Calling it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
So, pending the game telling us otherwise, that ending was at least a not-everyone-dies ending! Good job team!

• Locked thread