Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the perfect star wars movie would be like... starts with a sci fi battle against the rebellion and the empire (rebels are scrambling and improvising, empire has overwhelming technology advantage) then the heroes escape but get split up.

one of them goes to a backwater bog full of primordial flora and fauna to learn about the force

the others go to a fantastical technological city (in the sky maybe, just spitballing). but it's an empire trap dang.

eventually the hero would leave the force planet before he was ready and try to save his friends and have to face down a dark shadowy version of himself. and he would get wrecked. one of the heroes seemingly dies while the others escape. movie over

it would have a lot of strong symbolism and cinematography. anyway i think it would be cool if a star wars movie did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Palpek posted:

I'm definitely seeing Rogue One with a buddy of mine who isn't really into Star Wars. We won't go to the premiere though as I don't really like watching movies in fully packed theaters.

Also that Assassin's Creed movie is releasing a week after Star Wars :rip:. I would be already calculating how much of a loss it will be if I had anything to do with the movie.

Ubisoft is going to respond to the success of Rogue 1 by starting production on an Assassin's Creed Rogue film, completely missing the reason why Asscreed failed in theatres

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*pours out a forty for Star Wars 1313*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I'm being a bit unfair on it, but I just don't really get why you'd want to tie yourself down with all the baggage of the setting instead of doing your own thing.

I mean I do, kind of - financial security, mitigating risk, etc, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

I think it's just because it's a huge setting and there's potential for a wide variety of good stories in it. Anything that increases the uniqueness of each Star Wars story--since obviously we're going to get a whole lot of them so long as they keep printing money for Disney--is a net win, in my book. So we might as well explore other things in Star Wars. Planets we haven't seen, eras we haven't seen, stories that aren't about the Force or Jedi but instead, like Rogue One, about soldiers risking their lives for a cause they believe in, that kind of thing. We've got the main "revival" trilogy to get deep into Jedi stuff, so they might as well use the "Star Wars Stories" side-movies to explore other things.

Including (back to trailer spoilers) Darth Vader in Rogue One strikes me as a blatant nostalgia grab, even more so than just having a movie about the Death Star, because at least we had a new cast of characters for that movie. That he's bringing with him lightstaber and Force stuff is kinda secondary to that, I guess. But I shouldn't be too surprised, because this is the studio that thinks a Han Solo prequel movie is a good idea. I'm being lovely about it, I'm sure it'll be a decent movie and make tons of money but man, that's the one I'm not really excited to see, Donald Glover as Lando aside.

(Actually the Boba Fett one I'm even more skeptical about. I never understood why people thought Boba Fett was so cool. In the original trilogy, all he does is: get tasked to find Han Solo; get Han Solo handed to him by Darth Vader, who is much more competent; get eaten.)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cavelcade posted:

I'm being a bit unfair on it, but I just don't really get why you'd want to tie yourself down with all the baggage of the setting instead of doing your own thing.

I mean I do, kind of - financial security, mitigating risk, etc, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Edit: And I was sad not to play SW:G in its heyday, it seemed really cool but I came across it way too late.

rogue one is a star wars movie about the rebellion, which was founded to wage war on a militant government whose autocratic ruler and chief inquisitor are both evil space wizards with lightsabers

how is having one of the guys the movie's about in the movie "baggage"?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

boy are my arms tired posted:

my first star wars was episode 1 and i remember asking my folks if i could go sit in the car and play game boy instead because i was bored af lol

e: i get to play ffxv this weekend, hooray

I was a kid when episode 1 came out and I loved it. All these grown up nerds rag on Jar Jar but I thought the alien making pratfalls and licking things and saying stuff in a weird nasally voice was the height of comedy! You're alright in my book, Jar Jar, even if you are a bit of a racist caricature.

I also remember playing the phantom menace game with my cousin but I can't really remember anything about it, other than at one point you have to fight through the gungan bubble city and we did something wrong and got stuck in a bit of bubble city with no way out and had to restart. There was also the pod racing game that was really great. Do you do pod racing in one of the KotoR games, or am I imagining that?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

I played Tools of Destruction for the first time a few weeks ago, finding it just kind of OK. Definitely felt like the type of game I would have been all over when it first came out but in 2016 is just kind of a drag. That said I was toying with the idea of trying out the PS4 remake at some point, so I'd be curious as to know what's wrong with it as well.

Tools of Destruction is the worst non-spinoff one. The good ones are going commando, up your arsenal and crack in time(all of which are available on ps3 pretty cheap)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

rogue one is a star wars movie about the rebellion, which was founded to wage war on a militant government whose autocratic ruler and chief inquisitor are both evil space wizards with lightsabers

how is having one of the guys the movie's about in the movie "baggage"?

I think you're misreading Cavelcade's argument. They're saying that a Star Wars movie that didn't involve lightsabers and Jedi would just be a science fiction movie that could be told in a different setting, so why would you bring Star Wars baggage along? I'm the one who's all "why is Darth Vader in this movie at all?" about it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I think you're misreading Cavelcade's argument. They're saying that a Star Wars movie that didn't involve lightsabers and Jedi would just be a science fiction movie that could be told in a different setting, so why would you bring Star Wars baggage along? I'm the one who's all "why is Darth Vader in this movie at all?" about it.

yeah well screw you pal!!!

just kidding. i'm tired

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

haveblue posted:

*pours out a forty for Star Wars 1313*
All the classic Star Wars games aside Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was cool at the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

Tools of Destruction is the worst non-spinoff one. The good ones are going commando, up your arsenal and crack in time(all of which are available on ps3 pretty cheap)
I'd be curious to know what's "right" about those and what was wrong with ToD. Do they have better checkpoints at least? It was nearly rage inducing how often you'd have to repeat huge stretches because ToD loved placing you really far back when you died.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Harrow posted:

wizard on a water slide posted:

yeah well screw you pal!!!

just kidding. i'm tired

Hey that guy clarified my argument you be nice!!

Anyway yeah on reflection I would prefer that these movies be as different from each other as possible rather than getting marvel's stage 2 where they made the same pretty good movie over and over (and also Winter Soldier which was great) so maybe I should ease off on my :spergin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really wanted to like Dragon's Crown but it's probably going to end up my least favourite VanillaWare game. I know their stuff is often grindy but they usually disguise it better then 'do these few stages over and over again with slight variations', the rune system is annoying and slow and it seems like there's a ton of obscure stuff I'm never going to find without a guide.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the wind waker amiibo have this weird insect eye effect going on

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

oddium posted:

the wind waker amiibo have this weird insect eye effect going on

Hylians evolved from bugs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't imagine dragon's crown is much fun if the multiplayer is dead, it was why I put as much time into it as I did

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah possibly playing on my own has not improved things.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I loved Dragon's Crown (it's probably one of my favorite game ever) but I pretty much only played it with friends. At its heart, the game is a Diablo like loot grinder with the gameplay of a beat em up so if you do t really love the genre like I do, I can see it getting old.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

haveblue posted:

No one wants to post anything controversial because a swarm of locusts will destroy your site and the twitter accounts of all your staff.

Black Mirror was great

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Even if they aren't friends, like I spent a lot of time playing with random people in Japan, it's a lot more fun repeating stages when you're doing it with other people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one time I tried online it just timed out and took me back to the village.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The grinding feels like the way they solved the fact that those games just typically aren't very long. The central game is only slightly longer than is average for the genre but the loot grind encourages you to make it through as far as you can without going back to town with the only really good loot.

If you need someone to play with Sakurazuka, just hit me up on PSN and if I'm around and not playing TLG I'd probably be down to play a bit. My psn is axleblaze

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I saw a friend post an FFXV screenshot and it looks like they rate you for time on battles? Does this just affect XP gain or does it gatelock items and stuff? i.e. if you are a completist, are going to have to engage with it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

The grinding feels like the way they solved the fact that those games just typically aren't very long. The central game is only slightly longer than is average for the genre but the loot grind encourages you to make it through as far as you can without going back to town with the only really good loot.

If you need someone to play with Sakurazuka, just hit me up on PSN and if I'm around and not playing TLG I'd probably be down to play a bit. My psn is axleblaze

Cool, I still dunno if I'm going to go back to it but I'll say hi if I do.

Bicyclops posted:

I saw a friend post an FFXV screenshot and it looks like they rate you for time on battles? Does this just affect XP gain or does it gatelock items and stuff? i.e. if you are a completist, are going to have to engage with it?

I honestly have no idea what the ratings effect and might just be an indication of how well you did. You never have to engage with it even so because there are ways of getting millions of exp from a few battles.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Not unless you wanna feel good about how cool you were in battles.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's just an exp bonus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was cool when XIII had the ratings effect item drops and some rare items were easier to get with lovely ratings for some reason

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lets hang out posted:

It's just an exp bonus

Okay, phew, cool. That way I can feel accomplished if and when I get some A+ scores, but won't have to stress about it.

I guess it's confirmed that I will own a PS4 as of December 19th.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the rating system in 13 and the drops linked to it were incredibly confusing. I could never tell if I was gonna get good grades before the game spit them out either

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

I just remembered that Fear Effect is a series that existed

I only played Fear Effect 2 but it was an extremely good game. The T&A is silly but other than that it's real solid.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

My star wars experience is playing a store demo of Rogue Squadron 2 (and Luigi's Mansion) on Gamecube and thinking they were the best graphics I had ever seen

Whoa dude this happened to me. Even today it still holds up on an emulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P77RbhYBWfA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

It was cool when XIII had the ratings effect item drops and some rare items were easier to get with lovely ratings for some reason

No, rare item drop rates only went up with score in 13.

If you did really lovely the game would drop handicap items for you but you can buy those in stores, they're not rare items.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fear Effect is one of the few 3D PS1 games that still looks good. Don't know how well the rest hold up though

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

Whoa dude this happened to me. Even today it still holds up on an emulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P77RbhYBWfA

It's a shame they had to make that really bad ps3 game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Fear Effect is one of the few 3D PS1 games that still looks good. Don't know how well the rest hold up though

The game was kind of floaty and weird to play even at the time, presumably because of using FMV's for backgrounds like they did.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

I remember the carpet-escape part in Aladdin being some Battletoads-level bullshit. The game was rad overall though.

Lion King owned as well. Those were some good tie-in games.

The Can't Wait to be King level was the turbo tunnel of my generation. Escaping the Cave of Wonders was cake in comparison

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/806145897675505664
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/806146430998089731

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

is dead rising 4 good? i did not play 3 and i did not finish 2, 1 was so good i had gone guru

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Phantasium posted:

I got to the linear part of FFXV. lol at you literally being on a train and making stops.

Probably be cooler if the first dungeon after this happens wasn't trash.

Eh, you've reached part two and will forever long for the good old days, but unlike life you can always return to them no matter how bad things get. Personally I'm very forgiving with the linearity because I can see how it fits with what I see as the grand theme of the game, but it's certainly not what I expected. And Chapter 13 can really go straight in the bin. I recommend not using Umbra unless you absolutely have to until after the credits, but there's no reason not to aside from it distracting you from finishing the game. Mild spoiler for people still passively reading about FFXV: Once you start Chapter 10 (out of 14), there are no more side quests and the game moves you forward very quickly. No more open world, no more hunts, no more of what made the first chapters really fun. You can return to them at any rest point, but it really feels like a different game once you get on the boat. Again, I think it's a bold decision that wasn't executed perfectly but works for me.

Tonight I'm going to watch the last two episodes of Twin Peaks. My friend and I have been doing a lot of yelling at the screen for the last few weeks, but since James is gone and the GeneralMajor(?) is getting more screen time, I'm almost sad to see it end. There's no way it's going to be a satisfying conclusion though. Any suggestions for what we should watch right after the last episode, either as a pallet cleanser or as a new addiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even if the game is good, the ending is so insulting that you shouldn't buy it anyway

• Locked thread