Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Bandai is going to have a distributor in the states next year I think.

Bandai already has a distributor, Bluefin. The problem is Revell has the exclusive license to sell Star Wars models in the United States so Bandai can't send them through Bluefin. Revell cried to Disney, who in turn yelled at Bandai. Bandai has leaned on their distributors and some prominent retailers to stop shipping Star Wars kits to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

They werent too hard to come by on ebay, shipping was a bit steep but cheaper than amazon in most cases.

Anyway, Bluefin is importing Bandai Star Wars kits again. You can preorder the Rogue One 1/72 X-Wing on Amazon.

Quoting part of their press release:

quote:

Bluefin will launch the Bandai Hobby Star Wars model line in early December with the 1/72 and 1/144 scale Red Squadron X-Wing Starfighter Special Set, which features the star fighter depicted in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The kit will be initially available from Amazon.com in time for the film’s North American wide release in December.

Amazon pre-orders are available now here.

Subsequent 1/72 scale kits for the Tie Interceptor, A-Wing Starfighter, and Poe’s X-Wing Fighter will follow in January and will be available at Barnes & Noble stores nationwide, followed by full distribution across the U.S. to hobby and independent store channels.

The remaining Scale Vehicle model kits in the Bandai Hobby Star Wars line are planned for release by Bluefin to additional online and physical retailers throughout 2017. Bluefin also plans to release new future Bandai Hobby Star Wars Scale Vehicle model kits simultaneously as the kits debut in Asia.

http://www.jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=18054

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai's Star Wars kits are amazing, but goddamn hard to import for a decent price now because they're only meant to have a Japanese license and Revell sobbed to Papa Disney about them making far and away better kits or something.

I just buy them from Japanese sellers on Amazon UK, they come with free shipping.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
When a 1/32 Star Wars anything is launched, let me know.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gewehr 43 posted:

When a 1/32 Star Wars anything is launched, let me know.

You could always go for DeAgostini's giant studio-scale Millenium Falcon. Only set you back about $1200.

http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Dragon are supposed to be doing a 1/35 AT-AT, but I can't find any release date (or recent news)

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Almost finished with my 1/700 Scharnhorst, just have to do rigging and wave effects now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love old battleships that are just mountains of curved greebles on top of a hull.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I love old battleships that are just mountains of curved greebles on top of a hull.

I genuinely want to find a good source of cheap-rear end battleship kits, just to toss into a bag o' kitbash 'n greebs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

As opposed to new battleships such are _________. :v:

Edit: is it just me or has swiping on Android gotten a lot worse lately?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 12, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My entire layout now has TWO (2) trees!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 11, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

My entire layout now has TWO (2) trees!
Bullshit, it's the same tree from different angles.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If I were to live in a city with two trees, I'd hope they looked as nice as yours. Good job!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I bought a few Gundam models whilst in Japan in October as I'm a sucker for giant robot things, after building my first one and seeing how crazy different they look with custom paint jobs, I'm thinking of trying my hand at it.

I don't have the room to build a nice area for airbrushing and have been looking up all the techniques for paint with acrylics and enamels by brush.

It's no something I want to rush, it'll be mostly time spent whilst the wife is working on weekends. AmI barking up a wrong tree with hand painting?

I was going to just buy a few cheap models to practice on prior to doing the gundam ones and I'm not going all out with the crazy weathering just yet, just basically flat colors with panel wash.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You can definitely hand-paint Gunpla (lots of big flat surfaces, though, so be careful with strokes showing), and you can get grunt suit HGs for $10-15 depending on where you look, so they're cheap enough for you to not feel bad about loving up.

For techniques specific to painting Gunpla (or plamo in general), you probably want to ask in the Gunpla thread specifically: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pierzak posted:

Bullshit, it's the same tree from different angles.

There are... TWO trees!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can definitely hand-paint Gunpla (lots of big flat surfaces, though, so be careful with strokes showing), and you can get grunt suit HGs for $10-15 depending on where you look, so they're cheap enough for you to not feel bad about loving up.

For techniques specific to painting Gunpla (or plamo in general), you probably want to ask in the Gunpla thread specifically: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Totally missed that thread, cheers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Baronjutter posted:

There are... TWO trees!

Bullshit, that's just a reflection of the first tree!

Wait, did I just invent a way to make a forest on a train table look bigger? Has anyone played with mirrors to that effect?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

So I bought a few Gundam models whilst in Japan in October as I'm a sucker for giant robot things, after building my first one and seeing how crazy different they look with custom paint jobs, I'm thinking of trying my hand at it.

I don't have the room to build a nice area for airbrushing and have been looking up all the techniques for paint with acrylics and enamels by brush.

It's no something I want to rush, it'll be mostly time spent whilst the wife is working on weekends. AmI barking up a wrong tree with hand painting?

I was going to just buy a few cheap models to practice on prior to doing the gundam ones and I'm not going all out with the crazy weathering just yet, just basically flat colors with panel wash.

Get yourself an HGBF Hi-Mock. It's a nice cheap Gundam kit with big smooth surfaces you can practice painting on.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

On the Millenium Falcon. Revells Rerelease of the Fine Molds 1/72 Falcon is pretty neat and it's steadily getting cheaper. I payed about a 190 Euro for mine. 900+ parts

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Your post made Google close-ups of that kit, and holy god that's a lot of greeble.

In the process, I stumbled on a bunch of guys identifying greeble in a large scale (possibly production?) model.

Example:

:allears:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
That's a lot more panzers than I thought!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love really greebly physical models.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I love really greebly physical models.

I don't.

(There's another sprue and a half of those.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't.

(There's another sprue and a half of those.)

Every single one of those will snap as you remove it from the sprue, i guarantee it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's why I like tanks more than cars, working with track links is infinitely preferable to the million greebly bits on the undercarriage.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Every single one of those will snap as you remove it from the sprue, i guarantee it.

You need to saw these off essentially. MiniArt kits have lot of parts like these and even finer. It's no fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's why I like tanks more than cars, working with track links is infinitely preferable to the million greebly bits on the undercarriage.

That's from the Bandai Y-Wing. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

You need to saw these off essentially. MiniArt kits have lot of parts like these and even finer. It's no fun.

Why not use flush cutters? I used them to cut all the stuff off the sprues when making the Hi-Mock and it makes perfect cuts without any stress on the part. Mine are Xuron, maybe not this exact model, but something close - https://smile.amazon.com/Xuron-410-...n+flush+cutters

Like many things in the 'tools' category, I have found that when it comes to cutters, you usually do get what you pay for, and while these are a bit pricey, they do a fantastic job and don't get out of alignment after the first 4 uses. I have about a dozen different Xuron pliers and cutters, and never use the cheap stuff I started out with (Lowes combo pack of some sort) anymore. I think I relegated them to the garage or something actually.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Symetrique posted:

They werent too hard to come by on ebay, shipping was a bit steep but cheaper than amazon in most cases.

Anyway, Bluefin is importing Bandai Star Wars kits again. You can preorder the Rogue One 1/72 X-Wing on Amazon.

Quoting part of their press release:

http://www.jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=18054

Oh nice, wanna get that A-wing built at some point:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Cross-posting from the Historicals thread. I'm doing my first "proper" airbrushed vehicles, all of them 1/48 Tamiya model kits that will be used for wargaming DAK vs various allied forces in North Africa. I'm still struggling with the airbrush, but the results are so worth it compared to painting with a brush.

This time I well all in, and airbrushed black shadows after priming, then white highlights. Once dried I gave them first a darker dunkelgelb and then a lighter highlight version of dunkelgelb. I like how they turned out this far, so I gave them a coat of Tamiya spray can gloss varnish, and then decals.

Next step would be another coat of gloss varnish, and then go on with the weathering, right?

...well, not all of them from Tamiya, maybe. :ssh:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yup, decals should be coated with gloss varnish before you do washes and weathering.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I was gifted these from an in-law:

But the in-law did not know I have already built these three models. :xd: The perils of keeping our hobby secret, I suppose. Does anyone want to trade for these? There are a few Metal Earth kits I'd like and I figure if someone wants these they can purchase the others for me and I'll mail you these (or the one or two you want, as it happens). The ones I'd like are the t-rex, the triceratops, and the Hubble space telescope. (The Hubble in particular is a deal since it's 7 bucks, while the Black Pearl and Enterprise go for at least $13 most places.)

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Tiny train progress, about 10% of the layout is now over 50% done!
Testing out how it looks to use a grass mat as the base. Pretty satisfied with the results. Stuff is pinned down for now, need more trees, and some new rails before I glue everything in place. Also need to repaint the cliff face to look more rock-y.

Click for big.

Castle is burned out because I lost the roof.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

N17R4M posted:

Castle is burned out because I lost the roof.

It's a nice touch, actually.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got inspired by the pictures in this thread and picked up a Lambda Shuttle from Star Wars. Had one frustrating bit where part of the cockpit broke, then when I was trying to solder it, it broke in another spot. I was able to use masking tape to hold it in shape and then epoxy it together, so everything turned out fine. Also, soldering this stuff did not work at all. Maybe silver solder and a torch might work, but neither regular electrical solder nor solder paste would stick at all. Before I built it, I figured it would be loose and rattle around, but it is actually very solid with the only rattly bits being the two front body mounted laser cannons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Looks pretty good! I never had much patience for those metal puzzle things; I managed to make a biplane that looked good, but then I tried the AT-AT and getting the legs into the body, building the feet, and folding all the tiny metal tabs was just an exercise in frustration.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Just for the heck of it, I tried some Tamiya panel line accent on that shuttle. It flowed well enough, but really killed the accents of the model. The reflections on the panel lines really bring out the details and using that black accent killed all the reflections. I did paint the windshield black, but other than that, the natural metal finish looked the best for everything else.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Made this sand trooper as a present for a friend. I already built a death star trooper for myself a while back. Unlike that one, this didn't want to keep ahold of it's gun.

"Why? Why did this happen?"

Had to glue it.

Unrelated: I'm modifying a Nerf Maverick. Have some alclad gunmetal on the way. I've seen people say they use Tamiya spray gloss black for the undercoat. Also some people say they got good results with Tamiya acrylic black, which I actually have on hand. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it, so please forgive me for re-asking: will using an acrylic undercoat compromise durability enough that it's worth buying some lacquer black? Keeping in mind that this won't just be sitting on a shelf.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The lacquer would definitely be tougher. If fragility is a concern though, I'd be more worried about the Aclad. The finish of Alclad is delicate as gently caress. I don't really know anything about painting Nerf guns, but if I was doing it I'd probably go with a rattle-can metallic color, and then a tough topcoat.