Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hey friends, if you haven't voted in the SAS MLB Hall Of Fame Ballot yet you should! We can discuss stuff like putting relievers in the HoF or whether being a bad human should stop you from getting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Both those things have been really famous, what are the discussions about?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/808004535167881216
I remember being told Glasnow and Talion were going to totally save the Pirates pitching problems

Give that fan a loving medal, that's an ice cold burn

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Taillon looked good though? 3.46 ERA across 104 IP is pretty rock solid for a 24 year old in his first major league season. Glasnow probably needs some more time in AAA, although he projects to have below average command regardless so idk :shrug:.

Yeah, Taillon looked good last season, I wouldn't be very :sigh: about him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/808374442434895872

V: This pleases me. Particularly since the last rumor was Turner's deal is a bargain at 4/$64

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Good, please keep Turner off the Cardinals.

That's certainly going to be a payroll though :eyepop:

e. Also :lol: if the Nationals fail to acquire yet another target. Can't wait for them to trade what little is left of their farm to the ChiSox for Robertson.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/808379559779430400

Good times!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man is it rough rooting for a plucky small market team like the San Francisco Giants. Pretty unfair when these rich teams can just ignore the tax and spend infinity dollars. Can I get some revenue sharing please this is bullshit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's a lot of scratch for not-Champan

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man is it rough rooting for a plucky small market team like the San Francisco Giants. Pretty unfair when these rich teams can just ignore the tax and spend infinity dollars. Can I get some revenue sharing please this is bullshit.
I read this post as earnest at first because of your lack of avatar. Well played

Intruder posted:

That's a lot of scratch for not-Champan
Yeah elite relievers who aren't also unrepentant violent assholes don't come cheap these days

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Either the Marlins were bluffing or Jansen really wanted to stay in California, since IIRC the rumor was the Marlins offered him $100m.

Also :lol: Nationals.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I thought the rumor was 5/80 which is exactly what he got in LA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Either the Marlins were bluffing or Jansen really wanted to stay in California, since IIRC the rumor was the Marlins offered him $100m.

Or maybe Loria's habit of making splashy signings and then trading everyone away a year later is finally catching up to him and making free agents hesitant to sign with Miami? Perhaps Kenley woke up today and remembered that the Dodgers are actually good and likely to be good for the next 5 years, and he wants to continue to get opportunities to pitch in the postseason?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Or maybe Loria's habit of making splashy signings and then trading everyone away a year later is finally catching up to him and making free agents hesitant to sign with Miami? Perhaps Kenley woke up today and remembered that the Dodgers are actually good and likely to be good for the next 5 years, and he wants to continue to get opportunities to pitch in the postseason?

Alternatively, Jansen didn't want to shave his beard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chapman deal looking great for the Yankees.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Were almost to the point were minor league guys start denying call ups to the Marlins.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I thought the rumor was 5/80 which is exactly what he got in LA

All the rumours I saw were that it was the same ballpark as (though slightly less than) the Chapman deal. It would have been much bigger news if the Marlins were trying to smash the reliever contract record after the Yankees had done it themselves.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yes, the Nationals did not commit $16 mil/year to a relief pitcher. It is they who are owned.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Chapman deal looking great for the Yankees.
Do people really think there's that large a gulf between Chapman and Jansen? Over the last 4 years their results are remarkably similar. Chapman has a slightly higher K rate but Jansen has half the walk rate. I'd argue Jansen shows more signs of durability than Chapman and is more likely to retain effectiveness if he loses some velocity since Jansen's command is better, but that's speculation.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Turner coming back too :party:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ego symphonic posted:

Yes, the Nationals did not commit $16 mil/year to a relief pitcher. It is they who are owned.

They were certainly trying to commit $16 mil/year to a relief pitcher, or at least something in that ballpark. Now they have no closer and farm that was gutted for Adam Eaton. Time to resign Papelbon I guess? :v:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is the face of a man who really wanted a to play for a different franchise with a notoriously evil owner and minimal hope of postseason contention, all in order to (maybe) make slightly more money.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Paying big money for a closer is stupid unless you're a high-budget team with a WS-quality roster, and that's few enough that the contracts have stayed relatively same till this year. What's changed? Why so many huge multi-year contracts now when so many previous attempts at them have busted so badly?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

Do people really think there's that large a gulf between Chapman and Jansen? Over the last 4 years their results are remarkably similar. Chapman has a slightly higher K rate but Jansen has half the walk rate. I'd argue Jansen shows more signs of durability than Chapman and is more likely to retain effectiveness if he loses some velocity since Jansen's command is better, but that's speculation.

Yeah, if it were my money (and ignoring off field issues) for longer than one or two years, I would opt for Jansen myself.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Paying big money for a closer is stupid unless you're a high-budget team with a WS-quality roster, and that's few enough that the contracts have stayed relatively same till this year. What's changed? Why so many huge multi-year contracts now when so many previous attempts at them have busted so badly?
The exception is that it's not a waste to pay big for elite relievers (assuming you're a contending team with deep pockets). Relief pitchers are volatile but the cream of the crop appear to be exceptional in this regard.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Because having a super dominant bullpen is in vogue. People are going to look at what the Indians did and want to copy it

I for one miss the days of having a ridiculously dominant bullpen (Lidge/Dotel/Wagner was sooooo good, Qualls/Wheeler/Lidge was pretty good also but nowhere near as dominant)

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The whole "closers are overrated and overpaid" applies to dudes who suck but rack up 30 saves in the AL Central, not guys who are in the top 5 relievers in the game

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Because having a super dominant bullpen is in vogue. People are going to look at what the Indians did and want to copy it

I for one miss the days of having a ridiculously dominant bullpen (Lidge/Dotel/Wagner was sooooo good, Qualls/Wheeler/Lidge was pretty good also but nowhere near as dominant)
Perhaps the Dodgers liked the way their own bullpen functioned this October and aren't trying to copy Cleveland so much as continue what has been working?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Perhaps the Dodgers liked the way their own bullpen functioned this October and aren't trying to copy Cleveland so much as continue what has been working?

Man you're getting pretty testy over innocuous comments itt

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Also, this is a historically weak free agent class, especially for pitching, and teams have money burning a hole in their pockets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Also, this is a historically weak free agent class, especially for pitching, and teams have money burning a hole in their pockets

Some teams

:sigh:

Still dreaming of EE in my lineup, ~chasing that dream~

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

elentar posted:

A weak free agent class combined with a healthy chunk of post season teams showing off the value of high leverage relievers who can come in and lock down a lead for multiple innings. Jansen isn't just a closer, he can come in an throw three perfect innings with remarkable consistency. Miller is the same, and while he wasn't on the market his success absolutely drove up the price for good relievers.

Oh, and healthy number of teams looking to compete now that lacked a dominant closer coming into the offseason.

bawfuls posted:

Boy are you acting like a big salty baby over dumb poo poo today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Man you're getting pretty testy over innocuous comments itt
Yeah I suppose I am. I'm glad my preferred team will continue to employ a good player. We have a relative lack of Dodgers posters in SAS these days and sometimes I overcompensate, sorry.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of the reasons the Mariners won 116 games was that they had an insane bullpen behind Arthur Rhodes, Jeff Nelson, and Kazuhiro Sasaki.

edit: for funsies, a Republican lawmaker in the WA state house is proposing a bill that allows you into bring firearms to stadiums for some dumb reason.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

big salty baby
Hey leave me out of this.

On a serious note, I'm still sad about see Dex in a Cardinals uniform. Has there been any word on Travis Wood?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Sounding like Turner back to the Dodgers for 4/64 is done.

Also sounds like the Cardinals signed Eric Fryer again to backup Yadi. Nice to have him back after losing him on waivers last season. He is a solid backup.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jeff Sullivan did some poking into Chapman's look when he loses velocity and it's not nearly as apocalyptic as some people are making it out to be.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At work, we have a bathroom that also has a locker room and a shower. Right now the smell of raw sewage backing up through the shower drain is filling the entire office

I officially know what it's like to play for the Oakland A's

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Fowler's got a strong Twitter game

https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/807643030836514816

V: Liking this signing more each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=