Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I really don't think people get how bad brussels smell & taste to some other people. Like if I had to describe the smell my go to comparison would be a dead body. I've seriously tried eating these things and it resulted in vomiting.

Yeah, it's like marmite/vegemite. An insidious bad flavor that refuses to be masked or ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Things that taste good if used correctly:

Vegemite
Brussel Sprouts
Campari

It's all about the way you prepare it.

Vegemite is spread thinly on buttered toast or in a bread roll with cheese and lettuce. Brussel sprouts should be pan fried with bacon. Campari is to be mixed with equal parts gin and sweet vermouth with a twist of orange.

Things that don't taste good:

Fermented/rotting fish.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Campari on the rocks is pretty awesome, imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVhMgrtnVyo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'll have to go look it up again but I vaguely remember something about water releasing Brussels sprouts' stinky sulfur compounds (might've been good eats). The key is to cook them less than five minutes in water, whether steaming or boiling. Any more and the farts start to come out.

This has never been an issue when I've roasted, when I've generally roasted for half an hour. The finished Brussels sprouts would have crisp shells that taste something like nori (Japanese "seaweed" sheets)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Steve Yun posted:

I'll have to go look it up again but I vaguely remember something about water releasing Brussels sprouts' stinky sulfur compounds (might've been good eats). The key is to cook them less than five minutes in water, whether steaming or boiling. Any more and the farts start to come out.

Good god, parcooking sprouts for 1 minute already softens them a lot, how do you leave them for up to five minutes without getting Brussel sprout mush?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mid-century cooking, man

Edit: NPR says the general ceiling for wet cooking brassicas is 7 minutes:
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/30/170570081/understanding-the-brussels-sprout

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2016

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

If my childhood taught me anything, the correct way to cook sprouts for Christmas dinner is to have them on a rolling boil since mid-November.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gerblyn posted:

Every year at Christmas my sister makes me a different dish and hides Brussel Sprouts in it, and every year I taste them and dislike them. She's tried them sauted, boiled, raw in a salad, mixed with bacon and chestnuts, and nothing helps me get over the flavour. I'll happily eat carrots, cabbage and cauliflower now, all of which I hated as a child, but Brussel Sprouts have remained on my poo poo list despite all my sister's efforts.

Apparently there's a gene (TAS2R38) which controls whether you find Sprouts bitter, and about half of the population has it, while the other doesn't, which explains the huge rows people have about whether or not they taste nice.

I like how nobody paid attention to this and continues to insist it's just the cooking method that's flawed

PS brussels sprouts own

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I did.

quote:

The TAS2R38 protein also confers sensitivity to the bitter compound 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP). Because perception of PROP bitterness has been associated with supertasting, and because TAS2R38 genotypes associate with PROP-tasting phenotypes, it has been proposed that TAS2R38 genotypes may have a role in supertasting capabilities.

Brussels sprouts taste bitter to me, sorry about your non-super tasting capabilities :smug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least we can all agree that cilantro tastes great.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
people who don't like cilantro just haven't learned to adequately appreciate the subtle taste of metal which, imo, means they are poorly prepared for our future robot overlords

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Once a year I eat the things I know I don't like to see if I still don't like them. You may think that's dumb but there's a lot of foods I wouldn't have given a shot otherwise. The perennials are coconut, brussel sprouts, raisins, dates, figs, pears, and cauliflower. I'm convinced they can be cooked in such a way that I can learn to like them. Except for maybe raisins.

I don't think I've given cauliflower a fair shot. I've never eaten it in a dish that featured it as the headliner so my brain lumps it in with non-entities like eggplants.

Anybody got a go-to recipe for cauliflower that doesn't hide it under better tasting vegetables?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cause it tastes good. Especially with some fried shallots in there hom nom nom.

I'm not saying they're gross. I just find it hilarious that pretty much every hip menu these days seems to have specifically fish sauce Brussels sprouts on their menu, just like how everyone had ring mold shaped food or bacon infused everything a few years ago.

One of the fancy rear end hip taco shops in town even has a fish sauce sprout taco right now. :allears:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cauliflower is best when roasted imho. Just toss with some olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic, thyme and rosemary and roast.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm not saying they're gross. I just find it hilarious that pretty much every hip menu these days seems to have specifically fish sauce Brussels sprouts on their menu, just like how everyone had ring mold shaped food or bacon infused everything a few years ago.

One of the fancy rear end hip taco shops in town even has a fish sauce sprout taco right now. :allears:

Just wait until the aussie 'Smashed avo on toast' hits your local scene.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

I like how nobody paid attention to this and continues to insist it's just the cooking method that's flawed

Glucosinolates (the compounds in question that are perceived by TAS2R38) are what carry the sulfur in brassicas, so if you cook it right it won't be available for your tongue to get grossed out by it :colbert:

edit: although this study says steaming won't make it stinky either, they seem to think it's only boiling that releases the smell:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17011103

(also finely shredding will make it stink after a few hours?)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like cauliflower roasted also but toss in melted butter 1st then sprinkle with paprika, salt and cumin and roast until it starts to get really good and toasty.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

PS brussels sprouts own
Unfortunately for everyone who wants to explain their being a picky eater by self-diagnosing as a supertaster, it's not that simple. Genetic factors can certainly play a role, but so does, you know, everything else. So TAS2R38 is a predictor of whether someone will accept bitter foods. But so is what your Mom ate while she was pregnant. And what kind of formula you were fed before weaning. And so on. And the manner of cooking unambiguously matters---for example, salt modulates perception of bitterness, among other factors.

It's a complicated thing. And, as others have already noted, all of this just determines whether you find something bitter and if so how much. But bitter is not synonymous with bad, and plenty of people (and food cultures) are receptive to food even if it is bitter.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

AnonSpore posted:

PS brussels sprouts own

In fairness I think that people definitely DO cook them badly and some may enjoy them prepared another way. I love them when prepared well, but I can even remember less than a year ago being served some pretty horrible sprouts by my friend who is a chef and usually a very good cook

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The smell of sulfur is a placebo. If you dyed the brussel sprouts yellow people would like them more.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Ranter posted:

The smell of sulfur is a placebo. If you dyed the brussel sprouts yellow people would like them more.

:golfclap:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ranter posted:

:eyepop:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I paint my sprouts orange and tell people they're free-range.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrSlam posted:

Anybody got a go-to recipe for cauliflower that doesn't hide it under better tasting vegetables?
Years and years ago I cooked up some cauliflower in a way that did not involve steaming them - a first for me at the time.
I can't find the recipe, but the basic idea was to stir-fry the chopped cauliflower with some roma tomatoes and a generous helping of something spicy - pretty sure I would have used cayenne pepper way back when, I used to always have that around. There was probably some paprika, garlic, and olive oil, too, but I can't remember.

It was good.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MrSlam posted:

There are recipes for mashed cauliflower, kind of like mashed potato, but that seems a little too much like trying really hard to make vegan meat analogues. If I'm cooking it, I just toss the florets with olive oil, some salt, and whatever looks good in the spice cabinet at the time, then spread it on a pan and broil it in the toaster oven until the tips start to char a little. You can sometimes find orange or purple cauliflower too, which has nutritional benefiits, but they don't taste any different. They make the dish look prettier though.

My real go-to cauliflower recipe is just grabbing them of the crudités tray, because nobody else seems to want them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Roast and pureed cauliflower and carrots is pretty good. You can season it up any number of ways either sweet or savory.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You can also cover them in cheese and to no one surprise, they are delicious. I made this for thanksgiving and they were devoured.

https://ww2.kqed.org/bayareabites/2...ts-and-gruyere/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's very nice mixed with cream and onion and stuffed into a ring of gougère.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hogmartin posted:

There are recipes for mashed cauliflower, kind of like mashed potato, but that seems a little too much like trying really hard to make vegan meat analogues.

I do this all the time and it rules. Steam, then into the food processor with some of the steaming water, butter, salt, pepper, parmesan, and any other spices you want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrSlam posted:

I don't think I've given cauliflower a fair shot. I've never eaten it in a dish that featured it as the headliner so my brain lumps it in with non-entities like eggplants.

Here you go, this is my favorite cauliflower dish.

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dry-fried-cauliflower/

Technique here is good but it lacks some of the flavoring usually used in restaurants. You need to add thin sliced, slightly crisply fried pork belly, ginger, and a sauce made from light soy sauce, vinegar (rice or black work fine), and shaoxing wine (dry sherry is the standard substitute). Get the cauliflower good and seared, it should be turning brown/black in spots when it's ready. Here's another recipe that's a bit different.

https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2016/11/20/how-make-dry-pot-cauliflower-gan-guo-cai-hua

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

Here you go, this is my favorite cauliflower dish.

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dry-fried-cauliflower/

Technique here is good but it lacks some of the flavoring usually used in restaurants. You need to add thin sliced, slightly crisply fried pork belly, ginger, and a sauce made from light soy sauce, vinegar (rice or black work fine), and shaoxing wine (dry sherry is the standard substitute). Get the cauliflower good and seared, it should be turning brown/black in spots when it's ready. Here's another recipe that's a bit different.

https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2016/11/20/how-make-dry-pot-cauliflower-gan-guo-cai-hua

ooooh, that sounds delicious!!! Will be trying that soon.

I don't like pureed or cooked cauliflower either,
but this (roasted dish) was great, MrSlam
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/roasted-cauliflower-pine-nut-raisin-caper-food-lab-recipe.html

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

JawKnee posted:

I do this all the time and it rules. Steam, then into the food processor with some of the steaming water, butter, salt, pepper, parmesan, and any other spices you want.

I'll have to give it a shot, then. Whenever it comes up in a recipe-of the week thing, it's always described as a low-carb substitute for rice or mashed potatoes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hogmartin posted:

I'll have to give it a shot, then. Whenever it comes up in a recipe-of the week thing, it's always described as a low-carb substitute for rice or mashed potatoes.

Yeah if you use cream/butter it's about as close to mashed potatoes as you'll get without potatoes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wait wait back up, Eggplant are excellent and I have always known them as a critical ingredient. Eggplant Parmesan, Stuffed Eggplant, Ratatouille... More recently I've been making Baba Ganouch.

It helps to grow up in close proximity to Italians I guess. Eggplant is delicious. I now grow my own, these adorable little Japanese Eggplant that keep a lot longer and have a very nice nutty flavor. The huge ones from the store get mooshy so quick x.x

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I used to be very "meh" with Eggplant until I started salting/rinsing them before cooking them, now I really like them.

Edit: Moussaka is also very good, if you're on an eggplant kick.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 13, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Moussaka is also very good

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Gerblyn posted:

Moussaka is also very good

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Edit: Moussaka is also very good, if you're on an eggplant kick.

Also tagine.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! If I don't like cauliflower by the time I'm done cooking these then something must be wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are giant, drippy icicles supposed to coming out of the exhaust inside the walk-in freezer?