Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why is what Democrats did or didn't do in the past even relevant? The Republicans currently hold all three branches of government.

If I'm standing on a cliff edge, and we all are, I don't care who drove me there, I care who is trying to push me over.

Blathering about well ACTUALLY see Democrats Were Bad Too Once seems like a maddeningly inane line of discussion. Who cares? When you're on the cliff's edge, only the last inch matters, the rest is academic.

Well, their behavior in the past is a pretty good predictor of behavior in the future. Especially considering the number of people explicitly saying "We did nothing wrong. Double down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

I mean, that's basically what happened with Hillary's nomination. She IS terrible.

How uninspiring a democratic candidate do you have to be that Cheeto Mussolini actually gets a larger share of black/latino votes than Mitt Romney?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/clinton-votes-african-americans-latinos-women-white-voters/

Lets not pretend the Democrats are blameless.

If you dig into the statistics, Hillary's declining share of these two groups is entirely due to men of color.
http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

She got 94% of black women and 82% of black men. Trump got 32% of latinos but only 25% of Latinas. Maybe misogyny had something to do with this? Maybe that's what you mean when you say she was a terrible candidate?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mister Fister posted:

I disagree, blame needs to be amplified and repeated ad nauseum. Just look at what Nancy Pelosi recently said after she was re-elected minority leader again:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/12/04/pelosi_on_future_of_democratic_party_i_dont_think_people_want_a_new_direction.html

She doesn't want change in the Democratic party. And she's basically saying, 'well, democrats and republicans switch presidencies anyway, so lets just wait it out', as if we have time for it (or that it's a guarantee the GOP doesn't take the presidency again). The Hillary Clinton wing of the party is biding their time.

That should scare anyone.

Did you see Howard Dean and other establishment people try to defend this? The only thing they could say was "well she's raised a lot of money" and "she knows every Democrat in congress and has raised a lot of money for them". They don't care what Trump does because their donors will still give them money to put on a good show and lose, the Democrats are the Washington Generals.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's all true but at this point, don't care. Blame just seems utterly irrelevant. The only thing that matters now is that last inch before we go over the edge. Anyone who might help stop that slide is an ally.

Why do you think Democrats are going to change their behavior in the future, especially if nobody's allowed to call out their past behavior?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

If you dig into the statistics, Hillary's declining share of these two groups is entirely due to men of color.

She got 94% of black women and 82% of black men. Trump got 32% of latinos but only 25% of Latinas. Maybe misogyny had something to do with this? Maybe that's what you mean when you say she was a terrible candidate?

It's doubtful whether an exact clone of Hillary but a man would have beaten Trump. In fact we have pretty good proxies for just that scenario, bland technocratic centrist vs populist conservative, they're called 2000 and 2004

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Aggregate congressional approval ratings are low, but people still like their senators and reps (even when they can't name them) and there is substantial evidence that legislators remain responsive to their constituents' policy preferences.

would like to see this evidence, because there's been published evidence that more often than not they respond to their wealthy constituents' policy preferences, with the poor and middle class being afterthoughts

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 12, 2016

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Highronymouse is 100% right we need every ally we can get. Hillbots should be tarred and feathered, paraded through the streets, and given multiple opportunities to recant past betrayals and swear oaths of loyalty to the New Left Order. Those who do will be greeted as long lost brothers. Those who do not... well, its off to the gulag amigos

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe they remember the mass incarceration of men of color that happened under her husband's watch (and her cheerleading it).

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

It's doubtful whether an exact clone of Hillary but a man would have beaten Trump. In fact we have pretty good proxies for just that scenario, bland technocratic centrist vs populist conservative, they're called 2000 and 2004

Why are you doubtful that misogyny played a role in reduced support for the democratic candidate among men of color, but not women of color?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Why are you doubtful that misogyny played a role in reduced support for the democratic candidate among men of color, but not women of color?

Did I say I doubted that?

Some napkin math tells me that a swing of 5% of the black and hispanic vote in PA would not be enough to swing the election, so what is the point of highlighting this?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 12, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

Maybe they remember the mass incarceration of men of color that happened under her husband's watch (and her cheerleading it).

Yeah maybe they were worried about overincarceration in the 90's and so they voted for the guy running on "law and order" because they're idiots. Just as plausible as sexism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

This may be less misogyny in the "women can't be president" sense and more in the "the partriarchy has negative effects on men including expectations about working" which in turn influenced their responsiveness to Trumps message.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah maybe they were worried about overincarceration in the 90's and so they voted for the guy running on "law and order" because they're idiots. Just as plausible as sexism.

Or maybe Hillary just confirmed who she is even in TYOOL 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rsg7GdbLbk

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nevvy Z posted:

This may be less misogyny in the "women can't be president" sense and more in the "the partriarchy has negative effects on men including expectations about working" which in turn influenced their responsiveness to Trumps message.

I think it's also machismo. Men like a candidate who presents him/herself as a "tough guy." This works for female candidates too - most early female world leaders were along the lines of Margaret Thatcher - the "Iron Lady."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Pretty appalling sexism on the part of minority men on display here

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

I disagree, blame needs to be amplified and repeated ad nauseum. Just look at what Nancy Pelosi recently said after she was re-elected minority leader again:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/12/04/pelosi_on_future_of_democratic_party_i_dont_think_people_want_a_new_direction.html

She doesn't want change in the Democratic party. And she's basically saying, 'well, democrats and republicans switch presidencies anyway, so lets just wait it out', as if we have time for it (or that it's a guarantee the GOP doesn't take the presidency again). The Hillary Clinton wing of the party is biding their time.

That should scare anyone.

quote:

DICKERSON: Here’s my question, though, Democrats since 2008, the numbers are ghastly for Democrats. Democrats are down 10%, in the house down 19.3% and in governors 35%. The Democrats are getting clobbered at every level over multiple elections. That seems like a real crisis for the party?

PELOSI: You’re forgetting that we went up so high in 2006 2008, and let me just put that in perspective. When President Clinton was elected, Republicans came in big in the next election. When president Bush was president, we came in big in the next election. When President Obama became president, the Republicans came in big in the next election.
The GOP are a handful of state legislatures away from being able to say "the Constitution is whatever we say it is" and this loving rear end in a top hat is like "this is fine, everything is fine".

Democrats are a mess.

Democrats are a waste.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

The GOP are a handful of state legislatures away from being able to say "the Constitution is whatever we say it is" and this loving rear end in a top hat is like "this is fine, everything is fine".

Democrats are a mess.

Democrats are a waste.

but.. but.. PURGES :qq:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah and maybe the patriarchy made them more responsive to the pussy grabbing part of his message.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Good lord, Pelosi's even worse than I thought. Why the gently caress is this idiot in charge still :psyduck:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

People seemed pumped about Biden.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah and maybe the patriarchy made them more responsive to the pussy grabbing part of his message.

Boy you sure are going out of your way to blame minority men here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh for sure. Though white women were less put off by that then I would have hoped.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Good lord, Pelosi's even worse than I thought. Why the gently caress is this idiot in charge still :psyduck:

Wha'd she do?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

I'd like to hope that the party was still pretty shell shocked after getting totally decimated to really put up a reasonable alternative. If she's still in This Is Fine mode in a a few months and no one in the party cares then it's time to really start freaking out.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Like literally the host is asking her "ah, but your party has been getting its rear end kicked up and down the ballot for the last eight years and are now locked out of government completely across the board, are you concerned about this at all?" and her response is "ah no, you see that was inevitable, because..."

I mean I guess she's not wrong. With her leading the party, defeat is inevitable.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Kilroy posted:

The only person that ran against her was Joe Lieberman 2.0, would you have preferred that?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

This isn't responsive. There's no reason why someone who thought Hillary secretly wanted to lock up men of color would vote for trump-- he ran on locking up men of color. You need to explain why they would stop voting democrat and start voting trump, and this doesn't do it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh for sure. Though white women were less put off by that then I would have hoped.

It seemed hypocritical when Bill Clinton was cut from the same cloth, and it wasn't really relevant if you didn't think you were likely to meet him in person.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

JeffersonClay posted:

This isn't responsive. There's no reason why someone who thought Hillary secretly wanted to lock up men of color would vote for trump-- he ran on locking up men of color. You need to explain why they would stop voting democrat and start voting trump, and this doesn't do it.

This may surprise you, but there are reasons that don't have anything to do with misogyny. I think the real issue is that you can't see Hillary as being as terrible a candidate that the rest of us see.

The other explanation is that because Hillary is such an uninspiring candidate, there was a depression of turnout that otherwise might have increased the black turnout for a better democratic nominee (and yes, even another female one) vs Trump.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Radish posted:

I'd like to hope that the party was still pretty shell shocked after getting totally decimated to really put up a reasonable alternative. If she's still in This Is Fine mode in a a few months and no one in the party cares then it's time to really start freaking out.
Nah. "Shell shocked" would have been electing Tim Ryan. The Democrats (in government) aren't even shell shocked. Most of them still have their jobs after all, why should they care?

zegermans posted:

The only person that ran against her was Joe Lieberman 2.0, would you have preferred that?
Tim Ryan is no Joe Lieberman, but mainly some other people should have run. For the record though, yes I'd rather have some new blood in the leadership even if that's Tim Ryan. Pelosi herself should have resigned; you have no business leading a party after suffering defeat after defeat like this. The fact that she ran, that no one seemed to have a problem with her running, and that she in fact won handily, speaks to a disease in the Democratic leadership that is likely not curable.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kilroy posted:

Democrats are a mess.

Democrats are a waste.

I just want to scream "people I know are going to die because of you" at her and all those other wastes of skin over and over until I pass out from lack of breath and sheer rage.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Pelosi herself should have resigned; you have no business leading a party after suffering defeat after defeat like this. The fact that she ran, that no one seemed to have a problem with her running, and that she in fact won handily, speaks to a disease in the Democratic leadership that is likely not curable.

She's not the DNC chair. What's wrong with her specifically? She seems to be reasonably leftist, keeps her caucus voting correctly, and does a superb job gumming up congress as much as the house is capable of being gummed up.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Mister Fister posted:

This may surprise you, but there are reasons that don't have anything to do with misogyny. I think the real issue is that you can't see Hillary as being as terrible a candidate that the rest of us see.

The other explanation is that because Hillary is such an uninspiring candidate, there was a depression of turnout that otherwise might have increased the black turnout for a better democratic nominee (and yes, even another female one) vs Trump.

Ya know, she didn't do bad. I know that it is futile to hold much stock in the popular vote, due to it having no legal standing, but if she was really Poison In The Form Of Woman, as you seem to think, then why would she have got more votes than Trump?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

Tim Ryan is no Joe Lieberman, but mainly some other people should have run. For the record though, yes I'd rather have some new blood in the leadership even if that's Tim Ryan. Pelosi herself should have resigned; you have no business leading a party after suffering defeat after defeat like this. The fact that she ran, that no one seemed to have a problem with her running, and that she in fact won handily, speaks to a disease in the Democratic leadership that is likely not curable.

Yeah I agree with this. The fact that after 2014 beating the DNC was like "oh well no one will have to lose a job over this, it's not like holding onto government matters" was a preview of 2016.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

zegermans posted:

She's not the DNC chair. What's wrong with her specifically? She seems to be reasonably leftist, keeps her caucus voting correctly, and does a superb job gumming up congress as much as the house is capable of being gummed up.
What do you make of that interview?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

zegermans posted:

Establishment! Woorgh, rargh! Drain the swamp (in a leftist manner of course.)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

zegermans posted:

I mean, i didn't have a problem with her until she basically said she wanted to stay the course.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mister Fister posted:

You have thus far failed to offer a competing theory to explain why men of color, but not women of color, would stop voting for democrats and start voting for Trump. If she was an inspiring candidate for women but not for men, sexism seems like a valid explanation. Sexism exists. Blaming women who are hurt by sexism is lovely. That's exactly what you're doing when you claim clinton's lackluster performance with men of color proves she was a terrible candidate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I agree with this. The fact that after 2014 beating the DNC was like "oh well no one will have to lose a job over this, it's not like holding onto government matters" was a preview of 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BarbarianElephant posted:

Ya know, she didn't do bad. I know that it is futile to hold much stock in the popular vote, due to it having no legal standing, but if she was really Poison In The Form Of Woman, as you seem to think, then why would she have got more votes than Trump?

If this was versus a generic republican, yeah she didn't do too bad, but against a crazy demagogue like Trump, it's incredibly embarrassing that she didn't be Trump by double digits. Even scraping by would have been embarrassing. The fact that she lost in key states where people are suffering economically should be a wakeup call.

• Locked thread