Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

OK I double checked and it's consecutive games with at least 3 3Pa

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pstreak.cgi?request=1&year_min=2012&year_max=2017&is_playoffs=N&c1stat=fg3&c1comp=ge&c1val=3

e: It's also not right if you keep going back in time. I can't believe Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle would lie about this!!

chunkles fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Discuss

https://twitter.com/AdamJosephSport/status/808183113394180100

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://streamable.com/y81d

woo

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Zogo posted:

Horace Grant Didn't Always Need Those Goggles, But He Kept Wearing Them For The Kids
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/horace-grant-didnt-always-those-171016621.html

Only a few more weeks and LBJ is displacing MJ.

code:
NP	Player
5986.24	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4915.4	Artis Gilmore
4915.28	Karl Malone
4688.56	Reggie Miller
4381.56	Adrian Dantley
4349.08	Charles Barkley
4188.12	Shaquille O'Neal
4053.56	Dirk Nowitzki
3895.32	Michael Jordan
3843.08	LeBron James
He might even catch Dirk this year if he remains injured.

We all know Wilt would have like 7,600 or something if the stats were available. :colbert:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Zach LaVine is so loving smooth. He always reminds me of T-Mac (movement wise).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I refuse to believe Anthony Bennett was averaging double digit points. Also Brandon Ingram isn't a fat asthmatic who doesn't appear to give a poo poo about basketball so his potential for improvement is much higher.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Timfraz23/status/808182062620491776

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Henchman of Santa posted:

I refuse to believe Anthony Bennett was averaging double digit points. Also Brandon Ingram isn't a fat asthmatic who doesn't appear to give a poo poo about basketball so his potential for improvement is much higher.

That's true.

Ingram is a small forward that can't shoot, which means he could end up as good as Alonzo Gee, Stanley Johnson or PJ Hairston.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

37 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 assists

Westbrook sucks now. Can't even get a triple double 8 games in a row. I'm OFF the MVP train!!!!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also somewhat important that Age is given as "Age; player age on February 1 of the given season."

Relative to the start of their careers Bennett is about a year and a half older than Ingram, and those months make a huge difference at that stage of development. Ingram is a stick insect, he's going to get bigger and stronger. Bennett was, uh, sort of the opposite

Ingram is going to get a whole lot better. It's not right to compare anyone to Anthony Bennett, the worst #1 pick we may ever see. He's like if someone used the #1 pick on Earl Clark.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A PF shooting 35% is way worse than a perimeter-oriented wing shooting 36%. Brando is taking 2.5x more 3s than Tony was (though that's still not a lot). Also Ingram handles the ball ok which is also important.

Remember, Durant shot 43% his rookie season and 28% from 3. Durant scored a lot more on a lot more shots, something I wouldn't mind seeing Ingram do.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's per 36. Anthony Bennett couldn't average 10 ppg if you paid him. Oh wait

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's per 36. Anthony Bennett couldn't average 10 ppg if you paid him. Oh wait

That #1 pick will never not be amazing. "He's like Larry Johnson! Here are two power dunks where he screams!!"

edit:

The Ringer has a new piece called "Andrew Wiggins vs. Advanced Stats":

https://theringer.com/andrew-wiggins-timberwolves-advanced-stats-debate-1588a6909ce8

quote:

According to VORP — a metric which gauges “value over replacement player” — Wiggins has one of the worst ratings in the NBA this season, with a ranking that places him alongside such names as Jarell Martin, Isaiah Whitehead, and Semaj Christon. ESPN’s RPM (real plus-minus) ranks Wiggins 68th among small forwards, sandwiched between Kelly Oubre Jr. and Derrick Jones Jr. With all due respect to the juniors, this is not the company we expect Wiggins to be keeping in his third season.

Last week, professional sports gambler and basketball scout Dean Demakis published an article with the inflammatory title “Andrew Wiggins is a Bust” on his site, Dean on Draft. In the piece, Demakis charted Wiggins’s statistical development alongside wings like LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, and Rudy Gay. His conclusion: “Andrew Wiggins is clearly not on the path to greatness.” This prompted furious responses from the internet commentariat. “Did Wiggins bang ur GF or something? You salty AF fam,” someone named Billy rebutted. While the war between the eyes and the numbers is nothing new, advanced stats are crucial to figuring out what kind of player Wiggins is now and the one he can someday be.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 12, 2016

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
NBA 2016-17 N/V: “Did Wiggins bang ur GF or something? You salty AF fam,” someone named Billy rebutted

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

That #1 pick will never not be amazing. "He's like Larry Johnson! Here are two power dunks where he screams!!"

edit:

The Ringer has a new piece called "Andrew Wiggins vs. Advanced Stats":

https://theringer.com/andrew-wiggins-timberwolves-advanced-stats-debate-1588a6909ce8#.wf25nawch

Truthfully he might be the best argument against the old "20 ppg = star" reasoning. He does nothing else on the court. Pulling a .47 ws/48 while you're scoring 22 ppg on decent efficiency should not be possible

e: Actually that'd be interesting, could one of you stat boys cull a list of all people who scored >20ppg and sort it by ascending ws/48

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 12, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jota posted:

NBA 2016-17 N/V: “Did Wiggins bang ur GF or something? You salty AF fam,” someone named Billy rebutted

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

Truthfully he might be the best argument against the old "20 ppg = star" reasoning. He does nothing else on the court. Pulling a .47 ws/48 while you're scoring 22 ppg on decent efficiency should not be possible

e: Actually that'd be interesting, could one of you stat boys cull a list of all people who scored >20ppg and sort it by ascending ws/48

He's bad.

http://bkref.com/tiny/32AYQ

edit:

Shorter list: 1984-85 to today (so we've seen most of the dudes actually play):

http://bkref.com/tiny/CXBG5

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 12, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

He's bad.

edit:

Lol holy poo poo. Thank you. This is a very interesting list

I knew Antoine had to be up there

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I missed Warriors chat but I have to say I will always be grateful to them for knocking the #1 seed Mavericks out of the playoffs :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wiggins has at least been getting more rebounds this year. I'm still confused about his defense never really progressing though.

Can someone make a looping avatar out of Zach's transforming dunk in this video? https://vimeo.com/191069090 Starts about 1:45. If you have to cut out the end and some of the beginning to make it work that's fine, as long as the cupcake is in it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lol holy poo poo. Thank you. This is a very interesting list

I knew Antoine had to be up there

I like how basically the entire career of Glenn Robinson is visible in this puddle of mud.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Monta/JR Rider/Spreewell/Antoine/Bargnani

How long until there's a reenactment of that basketball scene from Fresh Prince?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ramadu posted:

37 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 assists

Westbrook sucks now. Can't even get a triple double 8 games in a row. I'm OFF the MVP train!!!!

His numbers during that streak. They are weird and not great.

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

It just hurts, but I deserve it.

Talked so much poo poo to my buds pre-season of how good the Celtics are going to be. Then they just throw away games they had a chance in.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man, that Raptors Celtics game... Raptors came back and won while having half the assists the Celtics put up. Which was nice for me as a Raptors fan, but kind of a clear indication that the Celtics have a great system but are still a little low on high end talent.

And also a warning sign that Raptors garbage basketball like that isn't gonna hold up against real contenders, sweet.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

attackmole posted:

Man, that Raptors Celtics game... Raptors came back and won while having half the assists the Celtics put up. Which was nice for me as a Raptors fan, but kind of a clear indication that the Celtics have a great system but are still a little low on high end talent.

And also a warning sign that Raptors garbage basketball like that isn't gonna hold up against real contenders, sweet.

They play better without Isaiah as a team but they don't have the scoring punch to win tough games without him. As much as I like Isaiah, we're not going anywhere with a 5 foot 9 guy as our only potent scoring option, especially seeing as apparently Marcus Smart takes the shots at the end of games when Isaiah is out. The system is great but goddamn get a normal star please

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can someone who is smarter than me at advanced metrics explain why Wiggins is so bad when his stats are at least ok by the eye test?

He shoots 3s well, he doesn't turn the ball over a ton. I understand he takes to many 2s a game, but they don't really seem like they should rate him THAT low.

e: eyeballing his stats, I'd guess he was a .09-.1 WS/48 player and he is .047.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Zogo posted:

They have the best D FG% in the entire league right now.

The Warriors aren't the absolute best D team in all measurements but D FG% is the most stable measurement I've seen for playoff/championship viability.

I agree that he picks his moments. I meant that he doesn't care about getting ten in one game. Like if some coach commanded him to get seven or eight blocks in a game I'd think he could do it within a few weeks.

It's not a fault really either because blocks/steals are overrated.

Kevin Durant: eSports commentator.

Now I know what stat to point to when someone tries to discredit GSW because of "defense." Thanks, Zogo!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can someone who is smarter than me at advanced metrics explain why Wiggins is so bad when his stats are at least ok by the eye test?

He shoots 3s well, he doesn't turn the ball over a ton. I understand he takes to many 2s a game, but they don't really seem like they should rate him THAT low.

His numbers are bad partially because he got the ball in low-efficiency situations (especially before this season). isolations and post ups are low efficiency plays, so even good players's numbers look bad. This season he is playing off the ball more, and his shooting numbers have naturally improved. He is still taking too many bad shots for him to put up good numbers.

If he played for my team I would threaten to bench him every time he dribbled more than once without moving the ball or driving. I don't know why he still has bad habits. I get the feeling his previous coaches allowed him to get away with this, but I can't imagine Thibs encouraging it.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/808369058173292545

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Team defense goes into Winshare. If you are playing on a really bad defensive team, you'll get "blame". His DRTG is 116 (and you can argue DRTG effectiveness) which feeds into Winshare. Towns' winshare is lower than a lot of other guys who have worse PERs/Stats overall too.

Wiggin's PER (which measures production) is decent enough, his efficiency is alright for his usage. Saying "He is so bad" is kind of a misnomer here, there aren't many 21 year olds getting minutes at the Wing, and him and LaVine are the two best. That appears to be true if you extend it out to 21 and younger. If you look at guys 21 or younger getting minutes, there are only 6 in the league who have WS of .100 or higher, and it's 5 big men + LaVine.

Wiggins is the #1 pick so he'll get a lot of scrutiny, but people are quick to throw him under the bus. He'll probably not be a superstar, but in that list of "Points but lowish WS" list I kinda like the Glen Robinson comp.

Also, don't use VORP, VORP is dumb. It has Ariza (#20) and Caldwell-Pope (#21) ranked higher than DeRozan (#41) and DeAndre Jordan (#45).

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm not too sure on how ws is calculated but it's gotta have to do with him being dead last in DRPM for SFs

e: yuck https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/5

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 12, 2016

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

He's bad.

edit:

96-97 Jerry Stackhouse and Allen Iverson both on this list LOL

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

His numbers are bad partially because he got the ball in low-efficiency situations (especially before this season). isolations and post ups are low efficiency plays, so even good players's numbers look bad. This season he is playing off the ball more, and his shooting numbers have naturally improved. He is still taking too many bad shots for him to put up good numbers.

If he played for my team I would threaten to bench him every time he dribbled more than once without moving the ball or driving. I don't know why he still has bad habits. I get the feeling his previous coaches allowed him to get away with this, but I can't imagine Thibs encouraging it.

sam mitchell knows the key to an effective play is being athletic and having 'that look in your eye'

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I just looked at the standings for the East and the Knicks are tied for the third seed.

I thought the East was going to be better this year, somehow they're outdoing themselves in terribleness.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

His numbers during that streak. They are weird and not great.

Really you're going to nitpick 7 straight triple doubles

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

They are 7/3 over their last 10 games. Russ gonna russ and all that but Okie pls.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Metapod posted:

You bet what is this the dark ages? We have access to real data now no need to rely on medieval numerology anymore. His cherry picking number quest is killing their offense.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
We have our own modern era Wilt Chamberlain and his name is Westbrook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

You bet what is this the dark ages? We have access to real data now no need to rely on medieval numerology anymore. His cherry picking number quest is killing their offense.

They've got the 10th best offense in the league and their ortg is better with him on the floor so I'm not sure that's a very good argument as long as they're still winning

• Locked thread