Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lollll I just went outside barefoot and said drat its nice today and checked weather and its 20F

Time for battle :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Don't worry, that's just your blood thickening.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, definitely muffle that beast and make sure it routes away.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I drove my 4.0 jeep for a while with no muffler and it was hard to tolerate. It was also hard to tolerate with a thrush muffler, but the quietflow muffler fixed it :thumbsup:

So leave it open is what I'm saying.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

As long as they patch up the hole in the firewall he should be fine.

Also was wondering, does it have a functional heater?

I feel like fixing one leads to the other being needed. Keep the Windows open and buy a pack of earplugs. Or true war boy that poo poo and ride with your ears free to embrace the ebb and flow of your people's war song.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

clam ache posted:

I feel like fixing one leads to the other being needed.

Route exhaust through the cab and out the back.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Wrar posted:

Yeah, definitely muffle that beast and make sure it routes away.

Or just wear earplugs or ear defenders. I am assuming that 14" wants a musical soundtrack on the road so its gonna be headphones under a set of ear defenders.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
The worst my truck ever ran was on open headers. It kicked and popped and the throttle response was really weird. It was also extremely loud, and not in a good way. Get a decent exhaust, especially for how long the drive is.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 12, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
FETCH ME THE SPIRIT THE SON AND THE FATHER

TELL THEM THEIR PILLAR OF FAITH HAS DESCENDED

ITS MY TIME

MY TIME NOW

HAIL SATAN

HAIL SATAN

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Is there any reason you couldn't use some of that lovely flex piping you find at Autozone, a couple clamps, and some coat hanger wire to string up the cut off mufflers from the van / Jeep under the chassis somewhere with the tips dumping behind the cab? It will look and sound hilarious (especially if you mix / match the Jeep and van mufflers) but your ears will thank you, the CO ingress to the cab would be a lot less, and you'll attract a lot less attention from law enforcement. NE to FL is a long way to go without expecting to encounter some quota filling cop who would just love to write noise tickets to the earsplitting out-of-state plated old dump truck. Or at least using the "excessive noise" excuse to pull the truck over and see a definitely-not-period-correct gauge pod ziptied to the dash, etc...which may make for an uncomfortable roadside questioning session at the very least.

Also, seems like it would be a bad time in the event of some sort of emergency vehicle coding up behind (or from the side) and unable to be heard because of earphones + ear defenders + the unmuffled motor roaring.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah actually

Cause I ain't lame AF

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lollll I just went outside barefoot and said drat its nice today and checked weather and its 20F

Time for battle :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKs2Quk6Ts

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Protect your hearing 14". you'll need that long after your journey here comes to end.

I once had your mindset and everything had open headers. Now I can't hear dick and regret it. But being nearly deaf works out great in marriage.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WHAT?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
HE CAN'T HEAR, DICK

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a thingie
Cause tragedy thrills me
That rubber flavour
It happens to be like;
Killed by a split rim
His own blood drowned him
Shot off the bead seat
Just to save the mounting fee
Kiss my rear end goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Uh oh

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Looks like you bought the rear end-half of a screwdriver?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is that a valve stem removal driver?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's the one tool you need to completely disassemble an ACVW.

:ese:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astonishing Wang posted:

Looks like you bought the rear end-half of a screwdriver?

which end is the rear end end? don't put either end in your rear end, namaste

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I imagine that "rear end-end" is whichever one is least likely to puncture your intestines.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The rear end-half is the part that's not the face-half. The face-half is the part with which you screw. Looks like you'll need to buy the face-half if you really want to chooch.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Why am I seeing "chooch" being used so much these days?

It's like the internet's been invaded by Western Canada.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fermented Tinal posted:

Why am I seeing "chooch" being used so much these days?

It's like the internet's been invaded by Western Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

McTinkerson posted:

Is that a valve stem removal driver?

Ehehehehehe

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I mean, exhaust under the hood is a kind of form of warm air intake/intake preheat, and EGR, all in one. I guess.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^ I see a stack.

Ah, that guy.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 13, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

Protect your hearing 14". you'll need that long after your journey here comes to end.

I once had your mindset and everything had open headers. Now I can't hear dick and regret it. But being nearly deaf works out great in marriage.

Old AI poster Toucan Sam was showing me one of his demo derby cars that had open headers out of the hood with hater pipes. He was revving that thing like crazy and a big V8 doing combustion less than 3' from my ears made me want to cry.

Not tolerable without ear protection for any length of time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

...aaaaaand ring tone added (http://www.boomblasters.com/sounds/Cinematic-War-Horn-Sounds-Car-Horn.mp3)

For $10 more you can get one that you can upload ANY MP3 to via USB:
http://www.boomblasters.com/big-bubba-programmable-car-horn-p-476.html

IMAGINE the fun you could have with that.

edit: gently caress, they've go one using tow horn speakers and a Lepai amp. They want $80 for it, but they include a *1* GB USB thumb drive!
http://www.boomblasters.com/double-trouble-series-dual-electric-horn-kit-p-488.html

I bet I could build that for $20 from eBay/Parts Express/Banggood.
And I might. Because: http://www.boomblasters.com/sounds/Cinematic-War-Horn-Sounds-Car-Horn.mp3

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 13, 2016

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Tomarse posted:

I am assuming that 14" wants a musical soundtrack on the road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbXvaE39wM&t=45s

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My own personal anthem is this, because salvia is a cold hearted existential bitch

https://youtu.be/JhLdgI8-LUs

Comedy option

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

14 BAR RIFF posted:

My own personal anthem is this, because salvia is a cold hearted existential bitch

Comedy option

A song so good you posted it twice.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seminal Flu posted:

Old AI poster Toucan Sam was showing me one of his demo derby cars that had open headers out of the hood with hater pipes. He was revving that thing like crazy and a big V8 doing combustion less than 3' from my ears made me want to cry.

Not tolerable without ear protection for any length of time.

When I was a teenager, I got to drive two heats and a main in a car with flipped headers and hater pipes.

I lost my ear plugs before the main, and couldn't hear correctly for about 2 weeks.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if AI ever heard my Salvia story. It was 2005, I'd discovered mushrooms and LSD and thought salvia sounded interesting. I bought some, and sat down with a bong and a torch, got it glowing white hot and ripped the fattest lung full I could pull. Immediately I knew I had hosed up on a level previously undiscovered by anyone other than those unlucky few in the employ of the Reich who chose not to shield their gaze from the opened Ark of the Covenant. My friend said "give me the lighter-ighter-ighteritererererer" as his voice began reverb feed backing. The whole room turned emerald green, smoke began boiling out of the air around me. And inside that smoke, thousands of eyes of all color and all species began to open and flick their stares around this new world they now saw in blind panic. A blue djinn's hand with long hooked jet nails with gold scrollwork hennah and a huge ruby set in its back coalesced out of the smoke and eyes and snapped its fingers.

A black flat plane cracked open reality through the hinge of my jaw, and the top half of existence hinged upward and back as my head folded with it. My consciousness went into my tongue, which turned into a little finned rocket and shot out between my lower jaw halves which had split down the center and were dislocating like a python, and I blasted out past my teeth belching flames the color of a scrolling food pyramid marquee.

As I'm rocketing past my.teeth I realise inside each tooth is a smaller me hitting a smaller bong with salvia creating smaller teeth and smaller fractures in reality making smaller mes hitting even smaller bongs creating smaller fractures in reality creating....

IM SITTING INSIDE A GIANT TOOTH INSIDE A GIANT ME INSIDE A GIANT FRACTURE IN REALITY INSIDE AN EVEN BIGGER ME CREATING

It was here my brain had officially hit five stars and existence is exploding around me and the brain army is here and there's birds and OH gently caress ME MY BRAIN IS LAGGING BECAUSE I loving DIVIDED BY ZERO and the entire time my tongue ship is blasting off into the rift thousands of voices are counting down from ten in a joyful chorus. And I remember it went silent after two, and then a woman whispered into my ear.

"This is where it gets really weird."

At that moment the drives came online, and I exceeded the velocity of light and punched a hole out of our dimension where I became a fractal meat worm of all five senses in all four dimensions and escaped existence as we know it.

End part 1

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
At minimum, weld one muffler on each side, just off enough from straight up to prevent most water/snow entrance, and leave the hood in the rear. Or would that do basically nothing, sound-wise?

14 BAR RIFF posted:

and then a woman whispered into my ear.

"This is where it gets really weird."

This isn't the last thing you hear before waking up every morning? My dreams, shattered.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Huh, I got reality splitting open at my jawline too.

The "chewing edge" with my mouth extending infinitely in both directions with my face on the inside of an infinite spiral sphere, my eyes among the eyes of the pantheon all sentient beings in an unending spiral.

Weird aint it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nuevo posted:

Huh, I got reality splitting open at my jawline too.

The "chewing edge" with my mouth extending infinitely in both directions with my face on the inside of an infinite spiral sphere, my eyes among the eyes of the pantheon all sentient beings in an unending spiral.

Weird aint it?

Now do DMT.

• Locked thread