Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, metal phones running a far more efficient architecture comparatively to x86 have had no thermal engineering taken into account by the makers of the phone nor the makers of the CPU. They certainly don't take into account thermal testing during development, and the CPU manufacture doesn't have a TRM nor any information about minimum or maximum temperature ratings of their product.

If only they had done ANY of that before smearing solder blindly onto a bga, doing 0 testing, and releasing it to market. Thank you internet forums user Taffer for bringing this problem to light. I shall inform the phone manufactures post haste of this startling revelation that you, and only you have had the good insight and intelligence to think about.

Nice zinger! The point is that running a phone's CPU and GPU at max for an extended period is gonna generate a ton of heat the most phones weren't designed to handle. As the weird-rear end recommendations like putting an ice pack on your phone point out very clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taffer posted:

Nice zinger! The point is that running a phone's CPU and GPU at max for an extended period is gonna generate a ton of heat the most phones weren't designed to handle. As the weird-rear end recommendations like putting an ice pack on your phone point out very clearly.

No, enclosing it in a tiny box fucks with everything the phone manufacture designed the phone for. It has nothing to do with running the phone at max gpu/cpu and more to do with the phone wasn't designed to be shoved into a tiny box with no surrounding air.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

No, enclosing it in a tiny box fucks with everything the phone manufacture designed the phone for. It has nothing to do with running the phone at max gpu/cpu and more to do with the phone wasn't designed to be shoved into a tiny box with no surrounding air.

The pixel was, though. It's a major selling point.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does anyone else's Pixel have crappy sync speeds on 5ghz wifi? I didn't notice it before the recent updates so I'm not sure if it's a recent issue or its always been there.

I'm getting about 65Mbps vs 230Mbps on my old Galaxy S6. 2.4ghz wifi speeds appear to be consistent with the S6.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Does anyone else's Pixel have crappy sync speeds on 5ghz wifi? I didn't notice it before the recent updates so I'm not sure if it's a recent issue or its always been there.

I'm getting about 65Mbps vs 230Mbps on my old Galaxy S6. 2.4ghz wifi speeds appear to be consistent with the S6.

Seems fine to me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ragingsheep posted:

Nope.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm actually pretty impressed with Daydream on my regular sized pixel. It does get really hot after like 40 minutes of use, but it's really neat to bop stuff with the remote and navigate between apps easily. Huge step over Cardboard for sure. There is still that weird screen door effect, but I imagine the XL looks a lot better. Still need to check out some of the paid for games though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed with Daydream on my regular sized pixel. It does get really hot after like 40 minutes of use, but it's really neat to bop stuff with the remote and navigate between apps easily. Huge step over Cardboard for sure. There is still that weird screen door effect, but I imagine the XL looks a lot better. Still need to check out some of the paid for games though.

I got my Daydream over the weekend and played with it some with my Pixel XL.

Comparing it to the Gear VR, I think the Gear VR had a slightly better FoV, and was better about blocking out outside light. But the Daydream is quicker and easier to setup and use (you probably don't even have to remove your case) and the included remote is a MUCH better user experience that trying to navigate using controls on the side of the viewer.

It's lighter and more comfortable than the Gear VR, too.

I am going to try to start on an Unreal Engine project this week for the Daydream.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

But the Daydream is quicker and easier to setup and use (you probably don't even have to remove your case)
I have a thin TPU case on my XL and I have to remove it otherwise the NFC doesn't detect (NFC payments and other tags work just fine through it). Even then it frequently refuses to start up properly, fails to recognise the remote, boots into a black screen, crashes sometimes when returning to the menu, overheats and all the graphics go glitchy, and generally just causes a lot of frustrations.

Text is blurry anywhere but the very center of the screen unless I physically push the whole thing hard into my face with my hands. The strap literally cannot create enough tension to do this and this hurts my face anyway.

In theory it's a pretty nice product but there are so many issues with the current software and the hardware cannot cope with running the thing. All in all it's pretty meh.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

I have a thin TPU case on my XL and I have to remove it otherwise the NFC doesn't detect (NFC payments and other tags work just fine through it). Even then it frequently refuses to start up properly, fails to recognise the remote, boots into a black screen, crashes sometimes when returning to the menu, overheats and all the graphics go glitchy, and generally just causes a lot of frustrations.

Text is blurry anywhere but the very center of the screen unless I physically push the whole thing hard into my face with my hands. The strap literally cannot create enough tension to do this and this hurts my face anyway.

In theory it's a pretty nice product but there are so many issues with the current software and the hardware cannot cope with running the thing. All in all it's pretty meh.

Strange. The only problem you listed that I have had is the remote doesn't want to pair right away and sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to sync up. My phone does get fairly hot running the Lego game but it hasn't gotten glitchy or crashed or stopped or anything. Maybe I am lucky?

I will try later tonight with my wife's Pixel XL. She has a Thin TPU case on hers.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope someone sets up a moonlight client for Daydream.

And a plex client would be great, but those devs...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

I hope someone sets up a moonlight client for Daydream.

And a plex client would be great, but those devs...

I can't imagine streaming real-time 3d to a wireless client right now. I'd imagine that'd be puke city.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are moonlight clients for Gear VR, and people seem to like it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
If any of you don't want your Daydream headset I'm interested....

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing I wonder about the Daydream and Heat discussion, is Samsung pretty much ran into the same Heat issue, and went from using the cover for the GearVR, to recommending you leave that off due to heat. Having the phone open to the air is better than nothing, and yet the Daydream pretty much goes a step further by not only holding the phone in against a plastic back, but also that yogapants fabric as well.

While it makes the headset look a lot nicer, it seems like combined with the "rushed" development of the Pixel, they just went with simple and easy but not long term usable.

In other news, making a Nexus 6P into a software matching Pixel XL is surprisingly easy, even down to the unlimited Google Photos Full Res backup.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

EdEddnEddy posted:

In other news, making a Nexus 6P into a software matching Pixel XL is surprisingly easy, even down to the unlimited Google Photos Full Res backup.

Is this a legit thing that Google knows about and allows? That seems like the kind of thing they would crack down on if it's getting people extra photo storage for free, especially after they tried to shut down accounts associated with those pixel scalpers.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I think it falls along with the same trick as getting Assistant to work. Just changing your phone model in the build.prop file from angler to Pixel XL unlocks all the apps that were Pixel Specific.

I'm sure they will lock it down with future app versions which shouldn't be hard.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nexus 6P decided today was a good day to die and gave up. Boots to the google logo and loops. Recovery mode / factory reset don't change the behavior. :rip:

Fi says they'll give me a new one (for free?) even though I canceled Fi service like 9 months ago. I'm tempted to pay for a month of Fi service on every phone I buy just so I have an account I can generate a support code to call in on. Fi phone support is awesome and has basically no hold times.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It looks like AirDroid poo poo itself. What's going on? What's a good alternative for sending files from your laptop to phone? Cheers.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty sure they've updated it to fix the security problem now

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Kind of hard to trust an app / company that was notified of a security flaw in May and then just kept on trucking making version 4.0 without ever addressing they had a hard coded encryption key. If no one had reported on it who knows how long they would have left it hosed up?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

If any of you don't want your Daydream headset I'm interested....

Same. My Pixel deserves a daydream too Google. :(

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

It looks like AirDroid poo poo itself. What's going on? What's a good alternative for sending files from your laptop to phone? Cheers.

Join by joao apps, Pushbullet, or samba and a file manager

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

ES File Manager?

Bloat or not, it does a lot of good stuff.

uPen posted:

Nexus 6P decided today was a good day to die and gave up. Boots to the google logo and loops. Recovery mode / factory reset don't change the behavior. :rip:

Fi says they'll give me a new one (for free?) even though I canceled Fi service like 9 months ago. I'm tempted to pay for a month of Fi service on every phone I buy just so I have an account I can generate a support code to call in on. Fi phone support is awesome and has basically no hold times.

I assume you didn't unlock the bootloader, or at least toggle the unlock allowed switch in the Developer Options screen before this occurred :( I would do that on the next one you get to give you the option to flash a factory image and such down the line. You don't have to unlock the bootloader right away, but allowing the option to do it later might save you from this sort of a issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Someone in here was asking when they'd have Pixel XLs in stock. As of four hours ago, they do--including the Really Blue one. I didn't look to see if any 128GBs were in stock.

They seem to be shipping after the new year though.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Anybody experiencing a lot of crashes today on their pixel? Had a bunch of apps update and now things are crashing all over the place.

A restart seemed to have fixed it, but really out of the ordinary

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Anybody experiencing a lot of crashes today on their pixel? Had a bunch of apps update and now things are crashing all over the place.

Not I

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only issue with my Pixel is youtube videos sometimes freezing on a frame, while the player and audio continue on their merry way.

Still don't know what causes it, and it's been here since day one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Duggler posted:

I haven't had any problems since I got mine, and I don't think I've even restarted it since I got it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

The only issue with my Pixel is youtube videos sometimes freezing on a frame, while the player and audio continue on their merry way.

Still don't know what causes it, and it's been here since day one.

Have this exact issue, doesn't help that the scrub bar is so loving difficult to grab.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My 128GB PXL finally shipped, three days earlier than expected. :toot:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

jokes posted:

I haven't had any problems since I got mine, and I don't think I've even restarted it since I got it.

Same except for the weird crashes I was having today.

I looked at my battery usage and apparently Dawn of Titans was running and not being suspended properly so maybe it's RAM usage was messing up the works

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got to try out Daydream VR, as it finally came in today. It's pretty great, except for a few things.

Phone gets really loving hot, which probably causes throttling.
Some applications, especially after the phone gets hot, become much less responsive. The play store, play movies, and to a lesser extent, Netflix all have this issue. With Play Movies in particular, I'm also getting occasional flashes of white pixels here and there, almost like graphical hardware glitches on PCs.
Youtube is really good, but 360 videos take for loving ever to buffer, pausing every 20 seconds or so.

I really want to try out more games, because they seem a lot better, but they cost money over five bucks and I am averse to dropping that on random software. There's a tower defense game for it, which seems like it might be pretty cool.

In short, it's really promising, but it's the least polished part of the Pixel. Whereas the main android environment of the Pixel feels absurdly smooth, fast, and polished, the VR segment feels more like a typical android phone. Functional, a little glitchy here and there, and occasionally a tad bit slow/unresponsive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Spigen Neo Hybrid case finally arrived after months of waiting. Now my OnePlus 3 is even larger, plasticky and looks a lot cheaper than before. The fit is like 90%, the outer plastic bumper bends outwards near the alarm slider and bottom port openings. Buttons are very clicky and tactile though.

It's winter in here and god drat it is uncomfortable to use metal phones in subzero temperatures. The phone was also too thin and slippery and I had dropped it a few times already. I wish phone makers used better materials and designed their phones thicker and less sharp... I don't like the case too much, but I like the phone even less without one.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Hey guys, just keeping you posted on the volume buttons that you all love so much. The third Pixel I received has the same problem so I contacted Google support one more time. Not only did the nice lady acknowledge the problem she also told me that ALL DEVICES have it. They know about it and won't do anything to fix it. So I'm out for this iteration. Fingers are crossed for the Pixel 2.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Headcase, nutjob, some weed, nice meltdown, etc...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlexF posted:

Hey guys, just keeping you posted on the volume buttons that you all love so much. The third Pixel I received has the same problem so I contacted Google support one more time. Not only did the nice lady acknowledge the problem she also told me that ALL DEVICES have it. They know about it and won't do anything to fix it. So I'm out for this iteration. Fingers are crossed for the Pixel 2.

:laffo: I can definitively say she's wrong but best of luck to you in your quest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sperglords gonna sperg

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AlexF posted:

Yowzers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlexF posted:

some weed...

It was an honest suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AlexF posted:

She told you that to get rid of you, fyi