Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Famethrowa posted:

I remember discussing the crank Grover Furr in DnD with a bunch of weird-rear end tankies who also said that North Korea being bad was CIA propaganda

....homework explainer, you were one of them weren't you?

edit: this poo poo is golddddddd. Most of it worse then Kahina imo

i dont think anyone said that but this definitely isn't the thread to relitigate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/808362476999847936

love our large comedy boy

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
normies are becoming grey wolves and i dont like it

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Buckle up folks, it's time for some GAME THEORY

<thread>
:getin:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

get out reeeeee

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Buckle up folks, it's time for some GAME THEORY

<thread>
:getin:

That's gotta be the next Chapo Reading Series, though they're gonna have to divide up that up like the Megan McArdle book because it's 2800 words long

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

isnt adam curtis actually a libertarian or something equally stupid

Listening to the ep, there's no way he is a liberterian in any way that an American listener would understand.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
not sure patton oswalt is a "normie"

until your dad is talking about listening to chapo during his power walks over a bowl of oatmeal I think we're in the clear

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Thom and the Heads posted:

i think there's something to adam curtis's theory that the left doesn't really want power

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

SousaphoneColossus posted:

i think there's something to adam curtis's theory that the left doesn't really want power

seems like if the left's unifying political ideology is "hey maybe don't treat people like garbage" then perhaps that explains the lack of power hungry career politicians

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've listened to a few episodes and I really love this podcast so far. Are there any standout episodes you guys could recommend?

ep 4 with all the Antonin Scalia roasting is a personal favorite of mine

the second episode is also really strong in my opinion (it's where kevin d williamson and hamilton first get hilariously murked)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

cat doter posted:

seems like if the left's unifying political ideology is "hey maybe don't treat people like garbage" then perhaps that explains the lack of power hungry career politicians

Sure, but if you care about that outcome (say, more than you care about not touching elbows with normies) then you should want some muscle behind that idea.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

pangstrom posted:

Sure, but if you care about that outcome (say, more than you care about not touching elbows with normies) then you should want some muscle behind that idea.

Agreed but it seems like a significant portion of the left would rather be in a perpetual underdog/oppositional stance than actually have the responsibility to do anything they say they want to do, so consciously or unconsciously they work against ever becoming actually relevant or influential.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pangstrom posted:

Man there was a talk someone gave talking about how no one in the left-wing organization he talked to in a big football state school ever went to football games at all, and how this meant they couldn't talk to anyone about their ideas and how the gently caress were they going to help these people and there was a question where a guy was like "yeah but those types of people used to make fun of me in high school, they're not my type of people" and it's haunted me ever since because that pathology is visible as a clear line through so many things the political left is reluctant to deal with

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Man there was a talk someone gave talking about how no one in the left-wing organization he talked to in a big football state school ever went to football games at all, and how this meant they couldn't talk to anyone about their ideas and how the gently caress were they going to help these people and there was a question where a guy was like "yeah but those types of people used to make fun of me in high school, they're not my type of people" and it's haunted me ever since because that pathology is visible as a clear line through so many things the political left is reluctant to deal with

https://youtu.be/m-1_8NZ2At8

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok I can't get over Curtis's "The Syrian Lone Wolf Attacks" Example as a bookend to his thesis on how the left should conduct. Did I honestly mishear that part as an endorsement for folk to start attacking concerts and train stations to denormalize the middle class or some poo poo? What did he meant by that?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

cat doter posted:

not sure patton oswalt is a "normie"

until your dad is talking about listening to chapo during his power walks over a bowl of oatmeal I think we're in the clear

My dad listens to Chapo sometimes. He thinks they're all careerist media people, but still likes them.

I'm sorry for ruining the podcast guys

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kunster posted:

Ok I can't get over Curtis's "The Syrian Lone Wolf Attacks" Example as a bookend to his thesis on how the left should conduct. Did I honestly mishear that part as an endorsement for folk to start attacking concerts and train stations to denormalize the middle class or some poo poo? What did he meant by that?

I thought he was talking about terrorists realizing that targeting politicians wasn't really worthwhile, but it would be easier to scare and manipulate the middle class since there isn't a coherent ideology. I don't feel like he was saying that it's something to be emulated by the left.

His advice for the Left was to have a strong, coherent ideology and a vision for what they want to do or else it may end up like Occupy or the Arab Spring, where a movement's momentum can get co-opted by groups like the Muslim Brotherhood

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Thank you so much! I've been honestly stumped for the whole day as I listened to it after weird noggin times. I have honestly heard similar ordeals from communists in Portugal and Brazil, so hearing this "hard medicine" wasn't such a shock until I started hearing the Al-Suri part when he started describing "targetting the liberal middle classes as they don't believe in anything". I was honestly worried that they were starting to go a deep end of "Ok who didn't tell our podcast off recently" sort of poo poo.

I can't quite provide the question to them on twitter since when I argued this with others, I was starting to get odd faves from "Davos" type folk on their profiles. Don't wanna destroy them, just wanna address matters within them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kunster posted:

Thank you so much! I've been honestly stumped for the whole day as I listened to it after weird noggin times. I have honestly heard similar ordeals from communists in Portugal and Brazil, so hearing this "hard medicine" wasn't such a shock until I started hearing the Al-Suri part when he started describing "targetting the liberal middle classes as they don't believe in anything". I was honestly worried that they were starting to go a deep end of "Ok who didn't tell our podcast off recently" sort of poo poo.

I can't quite provide the question to them on twitter since when I argued this with others, I was starting to get odd faves from "Davos" type folk on their profiles. Don't wanna destroy them, just wanna address matters within them.

you could hit up Will on curiouscat.me. If you have a sincere thoughtful question I imagine it will get answered. https://curiouscat.me/1450298610

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I will keep it in mind in the future, I've had good experiences chatting with at least most of them.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Kunster posted:

You could DM them on twitter and maybe get a private conversation going elsewhere.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Well that was loving bleak

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

padijun posted:

Well that was loving bleak

It's a good bookend to the episode with @bro_pair where it's like "oh christ we really are hosed aren't we" types of Chapo eps.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've listened to a few episodes and I really love this podcast so far. Are there any standout episodes you guys could recommend?

This gets asked kind of often, from myself included a few weeks back. Could we get some favorites added to the OP?

Here's some posts I've found naming some favs:

Famethrowa posted:

Oaxaca Flocka Flame (21?) is an incredibly interesting look at Mexican politics and the teacher strike.

Joementum posted:

Of the free ones, both the Ross Douthat episodes (3 and 30), the Ron Fournier episode (12), the Silicon Valley episode (42), the post-election episode (58), the James Adomian episode (46), and the mad online Catholics episode (38) are my favorites.

Dispersal posted:

Exactly what Joe said.

For the premium episodes, any of the movie review episodes are good, and for whatever reason I'm a huge fan of Elfquest, which I think is episode 43.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'd suggest episode 10 and 52 too, especially if you're interested in foreign policy under Obama.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The one I always come back to are the movie reviews, especially Reign Over My Face

So this explains a lot:
https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/807743513622351872

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/808412187337363456
This is a tweet from an undoubtably incredibly sane person.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it would be pretty easy to put together a sizeable list of mentally ill media people who should be barred by court order from twitter for the sake of their health. something about the format exacerbates their paranoiac tendencies.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Here's the pastebin of the Eric Garland twitter rant that Clara Jeffery described as "a Federalist Paper for 2016"
http://pastebin.com/rZq8vfTg

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If anything, a management consultant who's mad about family court taking a bunch of adderall and writing up his crazy theory about Russia controlling everything, then getting retweeted by all the dumbest media twitter accounts seems a little too perfect for the Chapo guys :tinfoil:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Am I missing something or did that guy say that CATO was "quite good?"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

If anything, a management consultant who's mad about family court taking a bunch of adderall and writing up his crazy theory about Russia controlling everything, then getting retweeted by all the dumbest media twitter accounts seems a little too perfect for the Chapo guys :tinfoil:

he's a Tulpa willed into existence by the collective will of the Grey Wolves. if we stop believing in him he will vanish in a puff of smoke.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Joementum posted:

If Eric Garland wasn't real, we would have to create him.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tulpa's freaken' own

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/808101509170925573

This guy rules.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Vladislav Surkov would be proud of Chapo right now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/missokistic/status/808183743554822144

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Here's the pastebin of the Eric Garland twitter rant that Clara Jeffery described as "a Federalist Paper for 2016"
http://pastebin.com/rZq8vfTg

More like a Federalist article in 2016

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

moller posted:

Am I missing something or did that guy say that CATO was "quite good?"

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/808052412808359936

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yup gotta love that heritage foundation

https://twitter.com/heritage/status/808431949375307776

Adbot