Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Cool Buff Man posted:

They've got the 10th best offense in the league and their ortg is better with him on the floor so I'm not sure that's a very good argument as long as they're still winning

15th best offense against the 5th easiest opponents defensive schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Friends, I periodically pull up Robert Horry clutch moments and I still haven't seen him miss in a critical situation. I'm sure, at least once, he's fired a three at the last second and had it clank. Can anyone recall one?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

You bet what is this the dark ages? We have access to real data now no need to rely on medieval numerology anymore. His cherry picking number quest is killing their offense.

I think you will find the lack of shooting is what kills the offense and not Russ

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

15th best offense against the 5th easiest opponents defensive schedule.

Ok, but how is he "ruining their offense"? Do you see any other path for that roster to start 15-9 in the western conference besides Russell Westbrook doing everything he can? They can't put ball in hoop

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
How much better would OKC be if humanity used a Base 8 counting system?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
James Harden came up one rebound shy of a trip dub in back to back games, both wins, proving he is a better team player than Russ

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Friends, I periodically pull up Robert Horry clutch moments and I still haven't seen him miss in a critical situation. I'm sure, at least once, he's fired a three at the last second and had it clank. Can anyone recall one?

Robert Horry never missed a shot and I look forward to his HoF speech

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

James Harden came up one rebound shy of a trip dub in back to back games, both wins, proving he is a better team player than Russ

https://youtu.be/EFPPtrGzzvo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Holy poo poo Jeff Green is unwelcome on my screen even in a non-basketball context

gently caress off Jeff Green

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6V1-UraQAs

https://gfycat.com/SilkyBouncyAbyssiniancat

dokmo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 12, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

http://www.nba.com/games/20030513/LALSAS/recap.html

quote:

SAN ANTONIO, May 13 (Ticker) -- Robert Horry missed a three-pointer he always makes, and the Los Angeles Lakers lost a game they never should have had a chance to win.

Horry's potential winning three-pointer rattled in-and-out just before the buzzer, killing a remarkable rally from a 25-point deficit and dealing the Lakers a 96-94 loss to the San Antonio Spurs that has the three-time defending champions on the brink of elimination.

They then got blown out in game 6

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Holy poo poo Jeff Green is unwelcome on my screen even in a non-basketball context

gently caress off Jeff Green

Jeff Green rules

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ok, but how is he "ruining their offense"? Do you see any other path for that roster to start 15-9 in the western conference besides Russell Westbrook doing everything he can? They can't put ball in hoop

To be honest I don't see a way they could improve a lot, but there is an easy way they could improve a little. Westbrook is jacking up 4 pullup threes per game while hitting 26% of these, when he could literally blow by every defender in the league. The team has the best collection of cutters and rollers, No defense can defend Westbrook's drives, they fear his finishing and passing off the bounce. If he cut out three of those pull up threes, and had three more layups or passes for dunks, that looks to me like a 1 point per game improvement in offense, which would put them almost in the top 10.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

To be honest I don't see a way they could improve a lot, but there is an easy way they could improve a little. Westbrook is jacking up 4 pullup threes per game while hitting 26% of these, when he could literally blow by every defender in the league. The team has the best collection of cutters and rollers, No defense can defend Westbrook's drives, they fear his finishing and passing off the bounce. If he cut out three of those pull up threes, and had three more layups or passes for dunks, that looks to me like a 1 point per game improvement in offense, which would put them almost in the top 10.

Oh, yeah, i definitely agree they'd benefit from Russ never shooting a pullup three again. A few tweaks would make him the best statistical player of all time, probably. As long as we agree that OKC would be a smoldering crater without him I'm on board with this

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

Jeff Green rules

This should be put on your tombstone to shame your family for all of eternity

Actually just change metapods name to Jeff Green Rules

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol if you think Russ will ever stop those pull-up 3s

Cool Buff Man posted:

This should be put on your tombstone to shame your family for all of eternity

Actually just change metapods name to Jeff Green Rules

:iamafag:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

Lol if you think Russ will ever stop those pull-up 3s

I don't think anybody on earth thinks he will ever stop taking them. It's nice to dream. Sometimes "I wish" my team's best player wasn't the subject of the song "I wish"

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

A tragedy :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack's Flow posted:

He's bad.

http://bkref.com/tiny/32AYQ

edit:

Shorter list: 1984-85 to today (so we've seen most of the dudes actually play):

http://bkref.com/tiny/CXBG5

Iso wings on bad teams: the complete list. The list is full of guys who became good players, especially if you look at the ones his age or younger (though guys like Joe Johnson and Dwyane Wade were putting up .7 and .8 ws/48 seasons in their mid 20s). He'll get better at defense, and getting to the line. Almost everyone does. The questions are if he can learn to choose better shots (he can create them even, it's just more work) and if his passing ever improves. He seems not to see passes he really should already.

Edit: my phone autocorrected dwyane's totally real name

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 12, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Dirk is clearly the MVP, the Mavs were in the playoffs last year. With him missing most games they are the worst team in the league. (And they made upgrades at several positions)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Dwigh-Anne Wade

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't think anybody on earth thinks he will ever stop taking them. It's nice to dream.

Kind of like I wished Dwight would stop being a big baby about needing touches in the post

Nothing wrong with acknowledging something that would be a welcome change even knowing it'll never happen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

You bet what is this the dark ages? We have access to real data now no need to rely on medieval numerology anymore. His cherry picking number quest is killing their offense.

Their illustrious offense of Home Dipo and a converted PF that launches crappy 3's

dokmo posted:

It's easy to tell players to cut and roll more but getting them to change playing habits and team identities is a huge task full of errors, especially with a ton of young guys.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 12, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Dirk is clearly the MVP, the Mavs were in the playoffs last year. With him missing most games they are the worst team in the league. (And they made upgrades at several positions)

well maybe a MVP, but not the MVP

rhymes with "Wale"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Pacers need to pick up 1 player to secure a playoff spot. They "fixed" the bench rotation and the new bench is outscoring opponents by 20.4 points/100 poss...but since CJ Miles has been there, Pacers have been outscored 23.2 points/100 poss with Monta Ellis in the starting squad.

They need a clone of CJ Miles to play bench and starter minutes

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers need to pick up 1 player to secure a playoff spot. They "fixed" the bench rotation and the new bench is outscoring opponents by 20.4 points/100 poss...but since CJ Miles has been there, Pacers have been outscored 23.2 points/100 poss with Monta Ellis in the starting squad.

What would you give up for one slightly used Lou Williams?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

dokmo posted:

You're dead inside :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers need Wes Matthews and the Mavs could have used Monta before they lost too many games. Now it's too late for that to make sense.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Can one of the mods give me this as one of the gigantic avatars tia

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 13, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Athanatos posted:

Iunno how you can make a deal work, unless you find a team willing to take on Ellis as a rehabilitation project. I kinda like the idea of Ross for Thad Young as a Raptors fan, then you could slot Ross as a three point chucker and Young fixes up our PF rotation while we slide Powell into Ross's role, but gently caress if I know if that's realistic/I'm also an idiot. I doubt the Pacers are interested in getting rid of Young, I'm just Bill Simmons-ing here.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/808348737873543169

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Raptors bench beasting. Norman is a treasure.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Athanatos posted:

Rudy Gay on a one year rental could be had by anyone who wants him for probably very little.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Death By The Blues posted:

Raptors bench beasting. Norman is a treasure.

I think Bebe is at something like 80% FG% over the last two weeks or something dumb. I suppose he only really exists to dunk and finish alley oops a couple of times a game, but damned if he ain't good at it. Pretty much the polar opposite of Bismack 'Hands of Stone' Biyombo when it comes to catching the ball in the post.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
He just you know needs to defend not have the bball IQ of a gourd.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
In the Dwayne Casey System, players do One Thing And One Thing Only. Also that thing is never allowed to change. Bebe gets to be the Defensive Centre by default though because JV is the Offensive Centre and we wouldn't want to to try to let him do anything else because that's not his one thing.

Also JV is bad at a defense. But hey, so is Bebe. He can hit monster blocks though, so he's got that going for him.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

tanglewood1420 posted:

Rudy Gay on a one year rental could be had by anyone who wants him for probably very little.

The Rudy Gay to the Pacers rumors have been bounced around every pre-season and near the trade deadline for years now. At this point I think Larry Bird just refuses to bring him in.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Athanatos posted:

The Rudy Gay to the Pacers rumors have been bounced around every pre-season and near the trade deadline for years now. At this point I think Larry Bird just refuses to bring him in.

Apparently this summer Rodney Stuckey or Monta Ellis were the names bounced around, which we thankfully said no to.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Athanatos posted:

With Mike Pence off to the White House, maybe Indiana will allow a Gay into the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Marc Gasol western conference player of the week

• Locked thread