Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

The issue is EXTREMELY complex, but the consensus is that there are a whole host of factors that lead to this constellation of "poo poo".

We can vaguely summarize by saying that China was never good

^^^ The simplest answer is usually right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Outrail posted:

I think he means the scientific method, being logical about poo poo rather than just accepting the world for what it is.

That's a big part of it yes. Science is not something that just exists on its own, it's a specific way to explore and understand the world based on logical reasoning, analysis of data, experimentation, etc. What we call science was not a thing prior to... 1500ish? It's not an easy thing to nail down. It was invented by European philosophers and gave Europe a huge advantage in technological development. Pre-scientific ideas go back a long way but they were never put into the useful system we have now until much later.

Aristotle is a good example. He's the basis of natural philosophy in European thought prior to science. Aristotle is full of things that are obviously wrong and would be easily proven wrong if you did experiments, but Aristotle never thought to do so and nobody else did either. His assertion that heavier things fall faster, for example. Obvious bullshit, but without a scientific mindset it wasn't addressed. Science is an invention like anything else.

This is like the least controversial thing anyone has posted in this thread, it's pretty bizarre to call out. There are whole multi book series on the history of science you can read if you're unfamiliar. The new Cosmos series was obviously astronomy focused but had a lot of good history of science content in it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Whenever he has to cough or sneeze, he turns his head to the right and does it with gusto.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a big part of it yes. Science is not something that just exists on its own, it's a specific way to explore and understand the world based on logical reasoning, analysis of data, experimentation, etc. What we call science was not a thing prior to... 1500ish? It's not an easy thing to nail down. It was invented by European philosophers and gave Europe a huge advantage in technological development. Pre-scientific ideas go back a long way but they were never put into the useful system we have now until much later.

Aristotle is a good example. He's the basis of natural philosophy in European thought prior to science. Aristotle is full of things that are obviously wrong and would be easily proven wrong if you did experiments, but Aristotle never thought to do so and nobody else did either. His assertion that heavier things fall faster, for example. Obvious bullshit, but without a scientific mindset it wasn't addressed. Science is an invention like anything else.

This is like the least controversial thing anyone has posted in this thread, it's pretty bizarre to call out. There are whole multi book series on the history of science you can read if you're unfamiliar. The new Cosmos series was obviously astronomy focused but had a lot of good history of science content in it.

I think Modest Mao's point was that 'science' isn't a real thing you can hold and touch, and therefore doesn't exist. Like democracy isn't an actual thing that exists in reality, it's just a thing that we talk about. How can you like, invent an idea man?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://i.imgur.com/Ula47MH.mp4

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
At first I thought this was an ebiker and thought "Yeah, that's standard for those assholes," but then it was not a ebiker and I was a little disappointed that it was a Final Destination scenario instead.

EDIT:

Outrail posted:

I think Modest Mao's point was that 'science' isn't a real thing you can hold and touch, and therefore doesn't exist. Like democracy isn't an actual thing that exists in reality, it's just a thing that we talk about. How can you like, invent an idea man?
Unless you print out these threads, does China exists?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Haier posted:

EDIT:

Unless you print out these threads, does China exists?

Stares gormlessly at you, slack-jawed for a legitimate minute. Hands behind my back which is slightly bent. "HAAAALLLOUU."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The big part of scientific method is formalized peer-review which was a big step in sorting out bullshit and didn't come in effect before late XIX century at least. As for "greeks invented logic" what IMO most people mean that they invented formalized rules of logic, rules of debate, neat tools of logical analysis (such as occam's razor). This whole thing was a big deal for the same reasons (filtering out bullshit) and generally checking concepts and ideas against inner contradictions. Logic is often undervalued because it is now such a fundamental part of our culture and education that often people think it is somehow inherent and intuitive.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

ughhhh

edit: you gotta like define what europe means and in what time frame they dominated the world like if you mean the east india company was using the scientific method to pillage asia of its natural resources why that's different than the muslims using their engineering and philosophical / cultural advancements to take over the same areas centuries earlier

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 12, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

In 2004, the Chinese government claimed success in extinguishing a mine fire at a colliery near Urumqi in China's Xinjiang province that had been burning since 1874. However, a March 2008 Time magazine article quotes researcher Steven Q. Andrews as saying, "I decided to go to see how it was extinguished, and flames were visible and the entire thing was still burning.... They said it was put out, and who is to say otherwise?"[9]

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Also if china's reported populations numbers are to be believed they alone have as many people as north america, europe, and australia combined so like ideas of what it means to conquer the world are kinda skewed because of your familiarity with western history... granted that europe had basically the whole planet at one point but now a lot of europe is backwards as hell so if temporary conquest counts why were the mongols way more successful than any single european culture was it because the scientific method isn't top dog or what

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Modest Mao posted:

Also if china's reported populations numbers are to be believed they alone have as many people as north america, europe, and australia combined so like ideas of what it means to conquer the world are kinda skewed because of your familiarity with western history... granted that europe had basically the whole planet at one point but now a lot of europe is backwards as hell so if temporary conquest counts why were the mongols way more successful than any single european culture was it because the scientific method isn't top dog or what

Winning the genocide game.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

because everywhere the mongols conquered, they'd absorb every local useful person into their army and give them a good life. as soon as they conquered china, they had the best technology of the time and walls / city sieging was no longer a problem for them

also they were loving tough as poo poo and would make little cuts in their horses to drink their blood and ride on

dan carlin has an awesome hardcore history on this, I think it's free now. it gave me a boner.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Dan Carlin is unlistenable.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Every time this poo poo comes up I get a bit excited that people want to talk about logos or Mozi before realizing that most of them are talking about their rough understanding of far later poo poo

there's deep and really interesting differences between the fundamental philosophies of the greek influenced "west" (which includes the 'middle east' lol) and "east" (which usually doesn't include India because those dudes had their own poo poo that I have not studied at all), where the starting points are usually comparisons between Plato and Confucius, as the sorta 'prime thinkers' that shaped most of the schools of thought that follow
Nah, the consensus is that there are a whole host of factors that led to both Europe going faster and China not doing so but all the good ones agree that it's way too complex to really tell.

speaking of podcasts do you have any educating ones you'd suggest on these topics

I really get down with a lot of eastern philosophy of mind, I mean a lot of it is rooted in Buddhism which has a bit of crazy poo poo thrown in, but the fundamentals are solid. it's too bad none of it is taught in regular college philosophy courses. I really liked reading Dogen for example

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hot take from modest mao, the scientific revolution never happened and our epistemological attitudes are actually exactly the same as in the middle ages

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
modest mao is here to liven things up

I wish pro prc laowai was still around, he was annoying as poo poo but he really knew how to set a thread on fire

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Modest Mao posted:

ughhhh

edit: you gotta like define what europe means and in what time frame they dominated the world like if you mean the east india company was using the scientific method to pillage asia of its natural resources why that's different than the muslims using their engineering and philosophical / cultural advancements to take over the same areas centuries earlier

Er, isn't it that the Muslim world also had/has/has had the scientific method, but that that method is after all only one part of a complex set of factors that "determine" history?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

Er, isn't it that the Muslim world also had/has/has had the scientific method, but that that method is after all only one part of a complex set of factors that "determine" history?

idk ask Grand Formage the history man

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

hot take from modest mao, the scientific revolution never happened and our epistemological attitudes are actually exactly the same as in the middle ages

science is good I'm very pro science

idk about suggesting Science being the cause of the white man's blood lust tho, or science being a wholly white invention rather than whitey's version becoming the dominant one

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'modern science' would probably be a good qualifier rather than just science

it didn't cause anyone's bloodlust but does explain the insane pace of technological and philosophical advances that allowed europe to become crushingly dominant by the 19th century

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

But the highly patrimonial bureaucracy that Maoism built didn't focus on the betterment of the whole, it was constitutionally incapable of doing so! You're asserting that Maoism gave China a solid moral and ethical system in practice and not just in theory, which I find kind of questionable.
To quote western philosphy a bit, it doesn't matter if it was real or not if the people believed it and acted according to it. Also gettin' late for work so gotta hurry.

Invisible Handjob posted:

speaking of podcasts do you have any educating ones you'd suggest on these topics

I really get down with a lot of eastern philosophy of mind, I mean a lot of it is rooted in Buddhism which has a bit of crazy poo poo thrown in, but the fundamentals are solid. it's too bad none of it is taught in regular college philosophy courses. I really liked reading Dogen for example
Alas, I only read and talk about things. Most of the stuff I know about Chinese philosophy is from back during my studies in Uni, where the main professor was a fellow philosphy grad but mostly we'd just read the prime sources and then talk about them.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

To quote western philosphy a bit, it doesn't matter if it was real or not if the people believed it and acted according to it. Also gettin' late for work so gotta hurry.
Alas, I only read and talk about things. Most of the stuff I know about Chinese philosophy is from back during my studies in Uni, where the main professor was a fellow philosphy grad but mostly we'd just read the prime sources and then talk about them.

poo poo, would have been cool. If you have any books that aren't primary sources that'd be cool too. I can read Chinese but not the crazy old stuff like would be in philosophy books

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanted to make an effort post one day I'd read the poo poo out of that too

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Haier posted:

"If you're doing a good job and the guy next to you is doing the same job but really poorly, and you both still get paid the same, then what's the point of doing anything well at all or taking pride in your work? You're just over-working yourself compared to the other guy, so just relax and cut as many, or more, corners than he is and everything will be fine."
if you have no opportunity for advancement (either in pay or rank), why put effort into your job or take pride in it past the point of maintaining your position? you are being taken advantage of by the capitalist system. this is why i cant feel too angry when people at fast food jobs gently caress up orders or have terrible customer service

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This looks cool, but what are they doing?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Modest Mao posted:

lol

You're a lot better than FBR or PWNER, but still, lol.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

Getting baked with pot.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

Guessing it's small batch artisinal metalwork/smelting/goldsmithing. And it's actually shot in San Fransisco.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

B33rChiller posted:

Guessing it's small batch artisinal metalwork/smelting/goldsmithing. And it's actually shot in San Fransisco.

poo poo, do you have a source?

I reverse-GISed it and nothing came up, and figured it was firing clay pots in Vietnam or something. Cottage industry work.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Accretionist posted:

poo poo, do you have a source?

Total and complete blind speculation to be honest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Modest Mao posted:

That's a lazy as poo poo argument.

People of European descent dominate politically, genetically and culturally four, arguably five of the seven continents (exceptions are Asia and Africa). Of these continents Australia, Europe, North America and Antarctica are inarguable, with South America being a borderline case.

On the other hand China and India have a supermajority domination of the planet earth only in the sense that they have a poo poo ton of people contracted into a comparatively small area. The cynical mind might ask if they truly are the rulers of the earth why can't they establish a foothold beyond the near confines of their borders?

Disclaimer: I'm not a white supremacist, and the actions of Europeans in the past are shameful, but really, 'China rules the world because it's got lots of people'? Come on Modest Mao, that's just a weak argument and far from your username.

Edit:Okay I'm mixing definitions, instead of' India and china', just pretend I said 'all of Asia'.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 13, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What...what have you done to my thread!?!

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
It's arguable that South America isn't dominated by people of European descent? Even though it's called "Latin America?"

And hell, Asia is something of a toss-up to depending on how you interpret Russia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Glenn Quebec posted:

What...what have you done to my thread!?!

Refute dumb arguments with logical statements?

Threadshit. I just wanted to join in on the fun.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fojar38 posted:

It's arguable that South America isn't dominated by people of European descent? Even though it's called "Latin America?"

Yes, that's why I said it arguably dominated. A vast majority have spanish/Portuguese blood, the vast majority speak a European language as a native language and the vast majority at least nominally subscribe to a European religion. Arguably you could say that's a cultural victory if you want to use sid Myer (?) Civilization XYZ rules. And I said arguably, as in you could make the argument but it isn't an overwhelmingly accurate or inarguable statement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

this isn't actually a history thread you dorks

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
its kinda like how republicans see the map of american voting being all red and being like wtf how could hillary have the popular vote

just because bumfuck nowhere AKA most of the new world and australia is technically speaking a european language as its lingua franca doesn't mean poo poo

If you add up all the chinese nationals and chinese ethnics in the world all those 'white people' continents you listed barely squeek out to having more people aka more of the human experience / human history

edit
I know white people are bad at math but,

(People in millions)

North America - 579
Europe - 739
Australia - 24
Antarctica - 0

Grand total: 1,342,000,000 people

China: 1,382,000,000

If you throw in the white people who live in South America you'd probably just barely balance it out

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Turns out that controlling territory is more important than having shitloads of people when it comes to global influence

• Locked thread