Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cythereal posted:

#SolasWasRight

Given how DA:I can work out for the mages it's possible Anders was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Given how DA:I can work out for the mages it's possible Anders was too.

Given that only happens due to things he could not possibly have predicted, plunged the world into war, threw off some pre-existing attempts at reform, and very nearly allowed an ancient horror to enslave the world as a god, I'd say Anders was still extremely wrong.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 12, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Geostomp posted:

Given that only happens due to things he could not possibly have predicted, plunged the world into war, threw off some pre-existing attempts at reform, and very nearly allowed an ancient horror to enslave the world as a god, I'd say Anders was still extremely wrong.

Corypheus had already escaped by the time Anders went all 9/11 though, so I don't think it can really be blamed on him.

He didn't have a plan beyond lighting the flame and hoping people picked up the torch, and that's what ended up happening (assuming certain player choices were made).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Anders did nothing wrong

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gat dang all this god-baby stuff sounds like a bunch of nonsense. Real glad I didn't do the ritual in DA:O and then carried that save on through.

No babby.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
In all games with party members I try to give them as many chances as possible and get the best outcome for them.

Even Yoshimo in BGII gets to have his heart forgiven by Ilmater

ANDERS, on the other hand, gets shanked. Dang terrorist

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Chomp8645 posted:

Gat dang all this god-baby stuff sounds like a bunch of nonsense. Real glad I didn't do the ritual in DA:O and then carried that save on through.

No babby.

Did you die? Or did Logain?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
problem with dragon age is that they make it seem like their cities like redcliffe and crestwood are big and powerful establishments but really all they have is like 6 buildings, 3 of which are merchants, 1 of them is a tavern, and the last two are basically studio apartments with someone standing in them who greets you warmly even though you kick in their door with your crew and loot their poo poo in front of them.

at the least they could have put a cityscape in the background scenery or something so it doesn't just look like there's a grand total of 25 people per city.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JawKnee posted:

Did you die? Or did Logain?

Uh Logain I think.

lol don't tell me they do some Writer's Gymnastics to make it happen based on something like that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Chomp8645 posted:

Uh Logain I think.

lol don't tell me they do some Writer's Gymnastics to make it happen based on something like that.

Nah, you're good I think. But if Logain was executed, and you don't want to die you can also direct her to sleep with Alistair which is pretty :psyduck:

I think there's also a way that she ends up with just a normal kid?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

problem with dragon age is that they make it seem like their cities like redcliffe and crestwood are big and powerful establishments but really all they have is like 6 buildings, 3 of which are merchants, 1 of them is a tavern, and the last two are basically studio apartments with someone standing in them who greets you warmly even though you kick in their door with your crew and loot their poo poo in front of them.

at the least they could have put a cityscape in the background scenery or something so it doesn't just look like there's a grand total of 25 people per city.

They do this exact thing in Inquisition with Redcliffe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

JawKnee posted:

Nah, you're good I think. But if Logain was executed, and you don't want to die you can also direct her to sleep with Alistair which is pretty :psyduck:

I think there's also a way that she ends up with just a normal kid?

If you have sex with her mid-way through her romance, but don't do the ritual, she still gets knocked up (she never shows or mentions this at all no matter how long the game takes), but with a normal kid. Well, as normal as possible given that he's almost certainly a mage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, Ferelden is a rustic backwater. Its towns and cities are small points of light in a vast wilderness. Compare to the Orlesian stuff where the villas, palaces, and bits of Val Royeaux you get to see actually do seem impressive.

Also I'm pretty sure they literally say "the village of Crestwood" a lot, it isn't made out to be big or powerful at all.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

exquisite tea posted:

They do this exact thing in Inquisition with Redcliffe.

that was the only dragon age ive played and i didnt see anything like that

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Android Blues posted:

Also, Ferelden is a rustic backwater. Its towns and cities are small points of light in a vast wilderness. Compare to the Orlesian stuff where the villas, palaces, and bits of Val Royeaux you get to see actually do seem impressive.

Also I'm pretty sure they literally say "the village of Crestwood" a lot, it isn't made out to be big or powerful at all.

so then why have a mayor for like 20 people??

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

There's only 2 people in Pound Town, me and your mom, but she insists on calling me the Mayor.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Maybe he's "The Mayor" when strangers visit, but the rest of the time he's just farmer #7.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

that was the only dragon age ive played and i didnt see anything like that

There is a huge castle visible in the background from where Redcliffe village is at the top of the map.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Maybe I should have gone there to recruit for the Inquisition instead of some podunk suburb

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
All the mages are holed up there. Did you recruit templars by chance?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
nah i picked mages

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

nah i picked mages

I really don't get why anyone would do this

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
How the gently caress is a Templar going to help shut the Fade rift?? Stab it with a spear?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I really don't get why anyone would do this

I picked the Templars I think before even going to meet the Mages. What is bad about them?

I assume it's basically the same story. You show up, some mages are cool but something is obviously wrong. A big blood magic or something occurs and a whole bunch of mages die then the rest join up with you.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I picked the Templars I think before even going to meet the Mages. What is bad about them?

I assume it's basically the same story. You show up, some mages are cool but something is obviously wrong. A big blood magic or something occurs and a whole bunch of mages die then the rest join up with you.

Eh, close enough

Replace Blood Magic with Time Magic and you got the Mage plot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

How the gently caress is a Templar going to help shut the Fade rift?? Stab it with a spear?

Mages can't close them any better duder. Like literally the first rift you see Solas is there and he can't do dick. He's like OH THANK GOD when you show up with your hand.

Meanwhile the world is being overrun by demons. Templars are trained to fight demons have special abilities to that effect. Mages on the other hand have desensitized their self and face to demons and yearn for possession.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also Templars get a better secondary villain. Samson is boring as gently caress, at least Calpernia has a little bit of depth.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Whoa so there's different bosses if you pick templar? Didn't know that.

I did notice that in trespasser if you drank the holy water the elfs don't attack you, which is more of a pay off than I expected

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Whoa so there's different bosses if you pick templar? Didn't know that.

I did notice that in trespasser if you drank the holy water the elfs don't attack you, which is more of a pay off than I expected

Yeah, and on the highest difficulty those guys can be absolute fuckers, which I learned to appreciate on a second playthrough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sided with the Mages but also kept them in check because Templars are assholes and I was also playing a mage.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I sided and allied with the Mages while also agreeing with Vivienne to train new Templars because while I support Mage freedom, I also understand the dangers that come with Magic and a Templar's ability are very helpful for counter that in addition to Mage abilities like Dispell and Mana Clash. Above all, I support equal cooperation with Templars and Mages, not just Templars being jailers or that back-handed paternalistic, "guardian" crap. I also don't support Mages having final say on how they conduct themselves with no restrictions because they were oppressed and they promise they won't do bad things. Non-Mages need to have a voice too, otherwise things can end up like Tevinter. (As a side note, this also plays into my decision to support Celene and Briala because that ending has a human and an Elf working together as mutuals and not holding one hostage with blackmail).

I also prefer the Mage path for my own personal story through Inquisition. To me, Sampson and the Red Templars are a another of many strikes against the Old Chantry, as they not only imprisoned Mages and left them to be brutalized by zealot Templars, but the Templars themselves are made into addicts and thrown away when they lose their minds or speak out; either way they're an inconvenient tool to the Chantry.

I also romanced Cullen and he gets more screen time, so that's a plus too.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao if you ever even talk to Cullen let alone romance his lame rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Aveline should have killed them all.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aveline should have killed them all.

please stop reminding me that DA2 exists

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Let's remember Mass Effect 2 instead

What was your favorite Loyalty Mission?

Mine was A House Divided

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SgtSteel91 posted:

Mine was A House Divided

I liked The Ardat-Yakshi, closely followed by A House Divided and Treason. All the others I could take or leave.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Mine was A House Divided

Zaeed's when you go full renegade. ME2 was the best game for being a space rear end in a top hat.

Runner up would be Jack actually. The abandoned space child torture research facility presented backstory in a really good way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Zaeed's is so much better if you go full paragon, though. It's one of the few times where paragon shepard actually gets mad about something.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If we're counting the DLC ones, both Zaeed's and Kasumi's are pretty good. Burning someone alive in space oil is the most dick move possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still think it was a mistake to have Paragon Shepard save everyone and still get Zaeed's loyalty. The dude was angry, petty and vile. Being able to turn him around with a small angry one liner felt really off.