Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I absolutely love when the replay in that or SotN fucks up. I don't know what causes it but I watched one in SotN where Alucard just hopped up and down a few times in between getting hit and murdered, and then the game stayed on the game screen until the amount of time the replay was supposed to take was up.

Lol cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mak0rz posted:

Which game is it that unlocks easy mode if you die too much? Devil May Cry?

The New Super Mario games has the Shameshroom that appears after several deaths. I think Donkey Kong Country Returns also has a super banana or something. Not exactly unlocking an Easy mode, but should be considered with the topic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

FFXV successfully captures the feeling of enjoying the summer break right after high school and then getting a full-time job in July.

I never got that, I had to start the job right away :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how the original xcom ufo defense was buggy where it'd switch your difficulty to the easiest mode no matter what you picked. Then in terror from the deep, regardless of what difficulty you picked, it'd act like you chose the hardest, so that game was already hard but ended up becoming infamous for being even harder due to that glitch.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

This is pretty common, the God of War games do it.

Yeah one of my roommates in college played a loving lot of God of War and DMC and they just sorta blended together eventually.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how the original xcom ufo defense was buggy where it'd switch your difficulty to the easiest mode no matter what you picked. Then in terror from the deep, regardless of what difficulty you picked, it'd act like you chose the hardest, so that game was already hard but ended up becoming infamous for being even harder due to that glitch.

Contrast with Blood, which got harder when you saved/reloaded. What a nuissance.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The New Super Mario games has the Shameshroom that appears after several deaths. I think Donkey Kong Country Returns also has a super banana or something. Not exactly unlocking an Easy mode, but should be considered with the topic.

I think it's kinda cool that they do this. Getting through a challenge is rewarding and all but It sucks to be stuck at this one part of a game for several days, unable to continue to play the rest, just because you can't land a blind jump or something. Doubly so for games like DKCR where the controls are working against you in some cases.

I was playing Tetris Attack's puzzle mode once and I kept failing over and over and I got a message saying "You're having a lot of trouble with this. Would you like to just go on to the next level?" I refused because I'm stubborn and I never saw the message again :sigh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

To be fair to people complaining about an easy mode in Dark Souls that would also undermine the way the story is told in that game, about a world that doesn't give two shits that the player exists and isn't out to kill them, but will happily do so because they're an insignificant speck on the uncaring world. An easy-mode undermines both aspects.

I don't think that's true, depending on implementation. Invincibility obviously wouldn't work, but things like making enemies less aggressive and slowing down their actions would do a lot to make it more accessible without removing that "death is easy and expected" feeling. Likewise just increasing player damage would help.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is there a thread for game glitches? Not necessarily visual glitches because those are a dime a dozen, but things baked into the programming that don't get figured out until well after release. I wasn't aware of the XCOM problems, and just that tidbit about Blood piqued my curiosity. Related, I was musing on Final Fantasy games after beating XV and I was trying to think of the biggest faults in FFVI when I remembered that evasion just straight up didn't work.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Which game is it that unlocks easy mode if you die too much? Devil May Cry?

i dunno but this always seemed the best way to handle it really:

http://crashbandicoot.wikia.com/wiki/Dynamic_Difficulty_Adjustment

quote:

"We were already learning. We had realized that if a novice player died a lot of times, we could give them an Aku Aku at the start of a round and they had a better chance to progress. And we figured out that if you died a lot when running from the boulder, we could just slow the boulder down a little each time. If you died too much a fruit crate would suddenly become a continue point. Eventually everyone succeeded at Crash.

Our mantra became help weaker players without changing the game for the better players.

We called all this DDA, Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment, and at the time the extent to which we did it was pretty novel. It would lead later Crash games to be the inclusive, perfectly balanced games they became. Good player, bad player, everyone loved Crash games. They never realized it is because they were all playing a slightly different game, balanced for their specific needs."

theres more on the specific adjustments on the page and its all really well thought out and executed

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gamers complain when there's stuff put in that makes things easy and no one really says how much they like the features so most companies don't bother. Hell, I admit I got annoyed in one of the nsmb games where they made it impossible to get the highest end game ranking if you had a helper thing show up, even if you didn't use it.

Also I like long games. I seem to be one of the free that got to the ice world in Okami and was overjoyed I had a whole other section to play in a game I thought was wrapping up. The only game that's overwhelmed me with how much content it had was Xenoblade.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

What games do you think are too short?

You are gonna have to give me sometime to think on that as I can't really think off the top of my head but there have been games that I felt were short and it's like.. that's it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is there a thread for game glitches? Not necessarily visual glitches because those are a dime a dozen, but things baked into the programming that don't get figured out until well after release. I wasn't aware of the XCOM problems, and just that tidbit about Blood piqued my curiosity. Related, I was musing on Final Fantasy games after beating XV and I was trying to think of the biggest faults in FFVI when I remembered that evasion just straight up didn't work.

there's probably a thread in pyf. or you could talk about them here.

there's a glitch in harvest moon 64 where you can lose your dog in the bathroom void forever which is sad. i think it'll still bark too

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

LawfulWaffle posted:

They should call it Polygon mode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

theres more on the specific adjustments on the page and its all really well thought out and executed

I like this but I wish it was an optional thing. Because I like to just beat challenges instead of having the challenges get easier every time I do them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stux posted:

Yeah stuff like this is pretty great. Resident Evil 5 does it and it's nearly impossible to notice unless you're really paying attention. Not because it doesn't work, but because the changes are so subtle that it just ends up fooling you into thinking you're getting good or lucky.

Conversely, it gets harder if you play better.

In Training posted:

I like this but I wish it was an optional thing. Because I like to just beat challenges instead of having the challenges get easier every time I do them.

That would probably be nice feature in a game where it's so overt like Crash, yeah.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 12, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
mankind divided is probably the most recent offender of the "too short" label, although im not sure if thats a product of it actually being short or if its because the pacing on the writing felt real weird

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a glitch in... I think GTA2 on PS1? One of the old 2D ones. Where if you try to throw a grenade while you're jumping you just sort of float and don't use the grenade, so if you keep mashing the button to use one you just float and fly over everything. I remember it distinctly not working on the Dreamcast version.

Easy way to get to the tanks after finding a suitably tall building.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Was it Bloodborne or DS3 where if you left the game on for a long time it would gently caress up the monster AI and make the game way easier?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

there's a glitch in harvest moon 64 where you can lose your dog in the bathroom void forever which is sad. i think it'll still bark too

That's both hilarious and sad :(

The bug that allows you to effortlessly get max job points in FFT will always be a favorite of mine. It's so easy to do accidentally. How the hell did they even miss it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think the Tomb Raider reboot would make encounters easier after you had died a couple times. I remember some firefights where I was like "heyyy, I thought there were more enemies than this..."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

i mean if youre dying like 10 times on a single section of a crash bandicoot level you were probably never going to beat it normally anyway

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the problem is if u make it optional and overt people will complain about it for every possible reason. u have to do it that way to keep it as transparent as possible so people dont even realise so no one gets mad

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stux posted:

also the problem is if u make it optional and overt people will complain about it for every possible reason. u have to do it that way to keep it as transparent as possible so people dont even realise so no one gets mad

I think the Metal Gear chicken hat is a good middle ground. Make the option available, but also make it kind of degrading in a non-traumatic way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

i mean if youre dying like 10 times on a single section of a crash bandicoot level you were probably never going to beat it normally anyway

You not being familiar with the concept of people learning from their mistakes and improving because of them explains so much.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

You not being familiar with the concept of people learning from their mistakes and improving because of them explains so much.

i more meant that crash 2 and 3 werent exactly the most challenging games in the first place

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Was it Bloodborne or DS3 where if you left the game on for a long time it would gently caress up the monster AI and make the game way easier?

Bloodborne. I think it also messed with some of the boss's routines and made them only use one or two attacks. I may have inadvertently taken advantage of this for some of the optional bosses, but I think it was patched before I could cheese The Orphan (and still have never beaten him).

Mak0rz posted:

The bug that allows you to effortlessly get max job points in FFT will always be a favorite of mine. It's so easy to do accidentally. How the hell did they even miss it?

Could you elaborate a bit? I've played a lot of FFT but unless the bug involves throwing rocks at allies I'm not familiar with it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

mankind divided is probably the most recent offender of the "too short" label, although im not sure if thats a product of it actually being short or if its because the pacing on the writing felt real weird

If you do all the side missions (which are actually pretty good) and explore it's like 30 hours long IIRC but yeah I guess the actual campaign feels rushed or half finished or something

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

If you do all the side missions (which are actually pretty good) and explore it's like 30 hours long IIRC but yeah I guess the actual campaign feels rushed or half finished or something

yeah i did most of the side stuff but the main campaign was just poorly spaced out or something

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

LawfulWaffle posted:

Bloodborne. I think it also messed with some of the boss's routines and made them only use one or two attacks. I may have inadvertently taken advantage of this for some of the optional bosses, but I think it was patched before I could cheese The Orphan (and still have never beaten him).

Yeah I didn't realize how much it neutered them until I tried to fight Logarius one my second character :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The first episode of the Noclip Documentary on the rebirth of DOOM 2016, id software, and their history just went up. It's great, professionally shot, and the second and third parts are dropping tomorrow and wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA&hd=1

Danny's patreon shot up a thousand dollars already, it's kinda nuts, but I'm super happy. I'm betting if he gets to like 25k a month or so he'll start branching out to traveling to Japan and such and hopefully getting some documentaries on game developers out that way if he can, I bet pointing towards his prior works would open up some devs there to the possibility of it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LawfulWaffle posted:

Could you elaborate a bit? I've played a lot of FFT but unless the bug involves throwing rocks at allies I'm not familiar with it.

you select a skill and then scroll to the next menu or something and you get a ton of points or the skills is free ??

i've never done it but it's something like that

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the Orphan fight was post-patch anyway since he's the final DLC boss, so the time thing never affected him. That fight is super fun though. :allears:

I've been really liking Let It Die. Calling it like Dark Souls is maybe a bit of a stretch, but it's got a similar camera/control scheme. The game loop feels more like a weird Dreamcast action-RPG though, and it actually does make pretty good use of weapon durability, which is weird. It encourages you to change things up and use new weapons, and your fists are always a viable option when everything else is busted. Even armor breaking is handy since it lets you pick up more goodies before you head back to the lobby, and "high-level" equipment feels more like bonus damage than an absolute requirement.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 12, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

oddium posted:

you select a skill and then scroll to the next menu or something and you get a ton of points or the skills is free ??

i've never done it but it's something like that

Oh, yeah, I think I recall hearing about that. You had to master a class and then with some menu maneuvering could wind up with 9999 JP. Takes the sport out of the game, but I'm not going to begrudge someone wanting to go into the Dorter Slums with a team of Samurai and Calculators after a playthrough or two.

e: I'm sour at the internet because I want to listen to the camp theme from late FFXV but it isn't immediately available at my finger tips. What kind of age of instant gratification am I living in if I can't have everything I want immediately and for free?

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 12, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I recently downloaded Tap My Katamari, and I highly recommend it if you want a dedicated Katamari music player for your phone. It even comes with a decent minigame attached!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Thank you, I am now cautiously optimistic.
Ending is great. There are many series that tried to do the Twin Peaks thing but ended up not being good enough so it's hard to recommend a follow-up. I liked the first 2 seasons of The Killing because they were obviously inspired by Twin Peaks minus the supernatural stuff and the tone is different. Just stop watching it after those 2 seasons because that's when the main case concludes and the series kinda falls apart afterwards. You could also give Alan Wake a try if you haven't played it yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stux posted:

also the problem is if u make it optional and overt people will complain about it for every possible reason.

If this is a good reason to not include a feature then why bother making video games at all.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Oh, yeah, I think I recall hearing about that. You had to master a class and then with some menu maneuvering could wind up with 9999 JP. Takes the sport out of the game, but I'm not going to begrudge someone wanting to go into the Dorter Slums with a team of Samurai and Calculators after a playthrough or two.

Kinda. No master class required. You just need the following two conditions:
- 1: A job class with at least one list of upgrades that spans more than one page.
- 2: Enough JP to purchase an upgrade.
- 3: Not enough points to learn the skill exactly one page down the list from the skill in Condition 2 (I could be misremembering that detail).

So all you need is, for example, enough JP for a Black Mage to learn Fire. You select Fire, and when you get the "Learn Fire?" prompt, hit page down (R1), and then confirm. Bam, max points baby!

This of course means you can't exploit it for anything that doesn't have enough skills to span more than one page, or skills that don't have increasing costs, but it works for most classes.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 12, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What games do you think are too short?

Metal Gear Rising
Pokemon Snap
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin 3
the Milky Way Wishes part of Kirby Super Star
Gitaroo Man

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Palpek posted:

Ending is great. There are many series that tried to do the Twin Peaks thing but ended up not being good enough so it's hard to recommend a follow-up. I liked the first 2 seasons of The Killing because they were obviously inspired by Twin Peaks minus the supernatural stuff and the tone is different. Just stop watching it after those 2 seasons because that's when the main case concludes and the series kinda falls apart afterwards. You could also give Alan Wake a try if you haven't played it yet.

I'm really tempted to pull up the Deadly Premonition LP after the finale but that would only fly if I skipped all the combat sections. I'm sad to see Twin Peaks end because Cooper is just such a likable guy, but the show also seems like it's unraveling with the way Josie left and the White Lodge/Black Lodge stuff. Kinda of cracks me up that every episode still ends on the photo of Laura Palmer even though her case seems so far removed from he current situations. (But not completely, I know)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7UW3fS6tQ

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Fun fact: the "I just can't wait to be king" level in The Lion King was such bullshit because Disney had a thing where they didn't want their games beatable in a single rental so they had the developer make that level much harder and longer than it originally was supposed to be.

Man I bet this is also why the Toy Story game had levels that just plain shat the bed in regards to navigation and controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to remember a game that I outright immediately stopped playing when I realized it was silently turning down the difficulty in response to repeated failures on my part, with no option to tell the difficulty adjustment to gently caress off

Probably a few that do this but this one twisted my jibblies especially hard, maybe it was a DMC game

• Locked thread