Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Meh. Get a Roku/Firestick instead.

Apple TV is free with 3 months sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That video is making weird things happen: https://shar.es/18Fp23

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 12, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

Yes, you could have at least some fault of he was either rear ended or did something to avoid you that caused damage.

In Minnesota, they prohibit parking within 30 feet of intersections (maybe just stop signs), which is a law that should go nationwide.

I'd just like people to cut it out with the tall shrubs in the summer and snowbanks in the winter at intersections. There's one bad one that people have to routinely back out of due to both a large hedge that inevitably becomes the core of a massive snowbank and an rear end in a top hat who parks too close to the intersection.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

You like road bikes rather than MTBs, which is strange full stop.

Is this where I get to be a smartass and post about the Epic Marathon?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

nm posted:

Yes, you could have at least some fault of he was either rear ended or did something to avoid you that caused damage.

In Minnesota, they prohibit parking within 30 feet of intersections (maybe just stop signs), which is a law that should go nationwide.

One time I got dinged for that twice in a 24 hour period. I came home from work feeling like poo poo and couldn't find another parking spot, so I parked within the 30 feet of the sign but not by much. Stayed home from work the next day and when I came out there was one ticket from 3am and another from like 4pm.

This was shortly after I moved to the twin cities and encountered this mystical "nowhere to park" thing for the first time in my life.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is this where I get to be a smartass and post about the Epic Marathon?
Heh, go for it, I was aware you did knobbly tyre stuff, but it seemed like the best avenue to have a pop at you.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotta get a new motor installed at work. Couple thousand horsepower. Taking some pedestal measurements...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

Gotta get a new motor installed at work. Couple thousand horsepower. Taking some pedestal measurements...

9".

Around. :q:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

14 BAR RIFF posted:

9".

Around. :q:

Yeah I have seen some machine shafts that have that diameter. You treat a machine like that with awe and with respect. Sometimes you hear the machine roar when it starts, thousands of amperes flowing in for a small fraction of a second (inrush from the subtransient reactance, X'').

Gotta see if it has polished shaft portions for proximotor probes and a keyphasor slot. That's for vibration monitoring.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I'll polish that shaft portion if you catch my drift

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Make sure you do both drive and non-drive ends.

I almost forgot about the thrust measurement too but that's a different sensor.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

Make sure you do both drive and non-drive ends.

I almost forgot about the thrust measurement too but that's a different sensor.

Its called a cervix

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i guess maybe one positive of trump's presidency would be to simplify the CAFE regulations, which might bring us back to more NA engines

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't wait to see how colossaly hosed my 2016 AI new years resolutions are :ohdear:

At least I did get the blue MJ running, didn't mean to buy 3 more cars and only get rid of one old one though. (Who wants to buy a datsun???)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I can't wait to see how colossaly hosed my 2016 AI new years resolutions are :ohdear:

At least I did get the blue MJ running, didn't mean to buy 3 more cars and only get rid of one old one though. (Who wants to buy a datsun???)

I thought you had a dude on the line for the Datsun. He bail?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I thought you had a dude on the line for the Datsun. He bail?

Maybe? A dozen different people have expressed interest, but so far the deal has not been closed with any.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I thought of that last night and have the thread queued up for an admin to bring it back. :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

well i guess maybe one positive of trump's presidency would be to simplify the CAFE regulations, which might bring us back to more NA engines

Hooray, more bad air in the city.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

Funny coming from the diesel guy :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

I actually think I accomplished most of my AI resolutions, got full time, got 2 promotions and raises, solved most of the CELs in the truck (because gently caress you evap system) before trading it for the wagon, got a bitchin mazda wagon and solved most of its issues (except the loving radio) and even made a feeble attempt to have my boat turn over by monkeying with the starter!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I'm all for turbos (otherwise I'd be unemployed), the best we can hope for from Trump is bigger engines and turbos.

Your average grocery getter could definitely use a TT V8 :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

we can loosen up cafe standards without changing emissions requirements

i think we will see that the pursuit of small displacement engines that require turbochargers will result in a lot of cars that only meet mileage requirements for the first 40k miles and will prematurely poo poo the bed or be junked a lot sooner than they would have been if they were naturally aspirated.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There is no such thing as a good 240VAC timer, is there?

Intermatics rust out, even in waterproof cases. Every digital one I've purchased has lasted less than 6 months before either melting (good connections at the terminals, I'm talking internally) or the relay shits itself. The power grid situation in Phoenix is awful, and we lose power for multiple hours once every three months or so, and I hate having to reset the mechanical ones.

I even got some German DIN-rail timers. One $15 one from ebay, and one $40 one from a reputable electronics supplier in the UK. Both were identical internally, minus some anti-tracking cutouts missing on the cheap one ("factory runoff" manufacturing, obviously).

I finally broke down and bought another intermatic. At least when it fails, it's a mechanical failure and I can still manually switch them. And they're made out of GF30 plastics just chock-full of bromine, so the risk of fire is less even if I get a high-resistance contact situation.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What exactly is your application here? Is 240Vac the control power to the timer or the power to be switched?

Is this outdoors? How is water getting in? Through conduit penetrations? Condensation? If you have wild temperature swings you can get a very small cabinet heater.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Water heater timer. There's always that chance it turns off while the heating coils are on, which is what I suspect the main failure reasons are.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Water heater timer. There's always that chance it turns off while the heating coils are on, which is what I suspect the main failure reasons are.

You're switching an almost purely resistive load. Switching under load will cause some slight increase in wear, but it's not like you're switching a highly inductive load (motor, solenoid, inductor) that has a lot of "kick" that is harder to interrupt. Make sure the poles are rated to both carry and interrupt the current flow into the water heater. I would install a small timer that controls a much larger relay that sends power to the heater.

As an aside, I can't wait to get my PE!

Three-Phase Engineering, Design, and Interpretive Dance
"It probably won't catch on fire this time!"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Love to do that, got to pass inspection twice yearly for the renters/homeowner's insurance, though, so it's got to be an all-in-one solutions.

My first attempt was a battery operated digital timer, but with a D battery instead of an AA, running a big relay, all put inside the "stock" intermatic box that's connected to the breaker panel. That was shot down pretty much immediately on inspection.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Love to do that, got to pass inspection twice yearly for the renters/homeowner's insurance, though, so it's got to be an all-in-one solutions.

My first attempt was a battery operated digital timer, but with a D battery instead of an AA, running a big relay, all put inside the "stock" intermatic box that's connected to the breaker panel. That was shot down pretty much immediately on inspection.

The guys in this thread here might be able to help you better than me. (Especially since this is all <1000V.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Three-Phase Engineering, Design, and Interpretive Dance
"Now 30% more NFPA code-complaint!"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Funny coming from the diesel guy :v:

I keep mine well tuned and don't roll coal like half of the fuckers here in the south.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

I keep mine well tuned and don't roll coal like half of the fuckers here in the south.

I saw a TDI wagon yesterday with a 4" stack routed up from the bumper, totally blocking hatch access.

Window and roof spoiler were solid black.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Or on the west coast. I could make a killing remmaning dirtymax/cumaparts/powderjokes here.

CA will even let you keep your old oilburner with a DPF addon, but no clean idle sticker is awarded.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
gently caress 2016 chat: finally heard back from the Ohio Turnpike Commission (well, the friend of a friend who works there) - despite (in the friend of friend's words) me being an 85-90% match for what they're looking for they hired some guy whose sole qualification was being a fiber monkey for AT&T (I have fiber experience, but in the form of server interconnect mesh networks and not LAN/WAN fiber) and is completely clueless on all other things tech. I guess my friend's friend was quite pissed because now he gets to train this guy on the 85-90% of things he doesn't know what the gently caress about.

Silver lining though - they have another 2-3 guys retiring next spring, and now that they have their dedicated fiber guy he said I should be a shoe-in the next time there's an opening.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

BraveUlysses posted:

we can loosen up cafe standards without changing emissions requirements
This is my line of thought. I'm not against small displacement engines or turbos or clean air, but cafe accomplishes none of the worthy goals by itself and causes a lot of unnecessary angst in the process.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There's also the Emerson 30 amp, SKYCENTRICS Wi-Fi connected switch.

Details are kinda hard to come by, but it appears you can control it via the skycentrics app. Specifically mentions being able to avoid peak kwh billing. May be worth calling them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought of that last night and have the thread queued up for an admin to bring it back. :getin:

Haha, it showed up in my usercp but I couldn't view it yet, that's what reminded me. 2.5 to 3 out of 7 depending on how charitable you are, welp.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

angryrobots posted:

There's also the Emerson 30 amp, SKYCENTRICS Wi-Fi connected switch.

Details are kinda hard to come by, but it appears you can control it via the skycentrics app. Specifically mentions being able to avoid peak kwh billing. May be worth calling them.

If it's 240V make sure it is two poles yoked together to open and close both lines simultaneously.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

If it's 240V make sure it is two poles yoked together to open and close both lines simultaneously.
I believe that switch opens both, but the load management water heater switches we install for my utility are 240v powered, but only switch one leg. (We install in return for a temporary bill credit, and the entity we purchase our wholesale power from then controls the water heater, turning it off at predetermined periods, certain months of the year)

These devices use proprietary software however, and probably wouldn't be user friendly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All of the switches I've had only switch one leg, except for the intermatic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My mom had an Intermatic Grey Box on her heater for probably 25+ of the 33 years or so that heater lasted for. Maybe they don't make them like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Reading online, it seems it's always the synchronous motor that goes out. Mine went out about two months after I moved in (4 years ago), I bought a name-brand replacement on Amazon, but the motor itself lasted only a year or so after that. Since then, I've been experimenting with digital timers (as posted), but I've gone back to an intermatic as of today.

Maybe there was something else wrong with the (simple) mechanism on my old one, or maybe they were off-brand motors being sold as legitimate on Amazon (happens often).

I guess I won't know until 5+ years from now.

• Locked thread